If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Get the Jump on FFX-2 Details

2»

Comments

• little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Nov. 18 2002,14:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Eh, Sauzer and Seymour have some very different motivations. ?Sauzer's much more legitimately noble.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They both have long blue hair, their names sound alike, "<span class="spoiler">both kidnap the female lead (whose two-syllable name starts with a Y, who is a Summoner, and who eventually loses the power to Summon), both are secondary villains, and they both kill themselves (Well, Seymour let himself get killled and became an unsent, but you get the idea). Now picture the Dragonites as the Fayth... </span>"It's just too similar.

• Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Nov. 18 2002,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You seem to have missed the point. ?FFX didn't sync up all that well in the original Japanese either, from what I've heard.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And I *hate* when the dialogue is changed in the English version--Yuna does not say to Tidus "<span class="spoiler">I love you</span>" at the end of the Japanese game!!!!
  • theavengtheaveng Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2002
    The female body is *absolutely beautiful.* ?Why is displaying such beauty degrading? ?It Is Not. ?We need to set aside our society's preconceptions that "skin is bad/nudity is sinful" and learn to appreciate the female form as the natural, beautiful vision that God created.

Yuna/Rikku in bikinis are NOT "whores." ?They are not "degrading" themselves. ?They are displaying their natural humanity, and they are exquisite examples of feminine perfection. ?They are Absolutely Beautiful and should be praised for that beauty with sincere compliments and admiration.

Troy

• theavengtheaveng Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Nov. 18 2002,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You seem to have missed the point. ?FFX didn't sync up all that well in the original Japanese either, from what I've heard.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The lip-syncing in Kingdom Hearts is pretty good. FF10 was Square's first attempt at voice-acting, so I can forgive them for not getting it quite right..... but after seeing Kingdom Hearts it appears Square has finally figured it out. FF10.2 should have flawless lip-syncing.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Eh, I'm not complaining about the use of sex appeal to sell stuff... I just wish advertisers would give us a little more credit than to think that we'll rush out and buy FFX-2 just cuz they sexified Yuna a bit.

..Although I guess it doesn't hurt ^_^
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theaveng @ Nov. 19 2002,04:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The female body is *absolutely beautiful.* ?Why is displaying such beauty degrading? ?It Is Not. ?We need to set aside our society's preconceptions that "skin is bad/nudity is sinful" and learn to appreciate the female form as the natural, beautiful vision that God created.

Yuna/Rikku in bikinis are NOT "whores." ?They are not "degrading" themselves. ?They are displaying their natural humanity, and they are exquisite examples of feminine perfection. ?They are Absolutely Beautiful and should be praised for that beauty with sincere compliments and admiration.

Troy[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, the female body is beautiful, but Square doesn't have Yuna or Rikku as anything less than perfect--no body fat, etc. They might as well be Barbie dolls. Putting them in such outfits is definitely fan service--I don't think the developers had any other motive. On G4TV, game makers even admitted they make women characters with big chests and skimpy outfits because that's what guys want to see. Why couldn't Yuna stay in her kimono style outfit? She looked beautiful and dignified in it!
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Protectorgurl14 @ Nov. 18 2002,22:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sex appeal sells, let's all face it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If the game was about Sex Appeal Yuna would look like the person the Japanese voted the sexiest woman in the world. Janet Reno.
  • WildDracWildDrac Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You dont watch anime do you? Its called dubbing. The mouths were made to fit Japanese words, and they just went back and put english dubbing onto it.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I find these repeated comments very interesting. I watch a lot of anime, in both English and in Japanese (I speak Japanese but my brother doesn't, so usually get an English copy so he can watch too). One thing I find very interesting is a certain cultural detail that ends up in anime. That is that the Japanese don't really care about the lip-syncing. Watch a lot of anime, the mouths don't exactly line up. In fact, I've actually seen some where the Japanese amtch-up is worse then the English in terms of lip movement. We've simply come to expect it because our big animation company, Disney, has always produced matching lip movements (watch Beauty and the Beast in Spanish though, not only do the lips not match up, but the dialog is just hilarious. It's all correct but it just sounds so stupid in Spanish).

Also, the comment about the "changed" dialog at the end. That I think can just be chalked up to one of the most simple rules in foreign languages. That is that you never, Never, NEVER do a literal translation, you always do a meaning translation (would you like to play an entire RPG with a script that sounds like "All your base are belong to us"?). What they were trying to translate was the meaning of the Japanese script. And there certainly still seems to be that growing love relationship between the two in both versions. Erf...
  • mesomeso Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone say 'World of Ruin'? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

World of Ruin.

Now to the topic:
    I'm reaaaaallly looking forward to this game, c'mon now, a transformer airship... Rikku in a bikini! oh yeah! I was getting kinda horny when Rikku took off her swim suit in FFX. So I can't wait to see her in a bikini! biggrin.gif
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildDrac @ Nov. 19 2002,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Also, the comment about the "changed" dialog at the end. ?That I think can just be chalked up to one of the most simple rules in foreign languages. ?That is that you never, Never, NEVER do a literal translation, you always do a meaning translation (would you like to play an entire RPG with a script that sounds like "All your base are belong to us"?). ?What they were trying to translate was the meaning of the Japanese script. ?And there certainly still seems to be that growing love relationship between the two in both versions. ?Erf...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But how does "Arigato" (thank you) translate to "I love you", even if you did a meaning translation?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I'd assume Yuna would be thanking Tidus for all he had done for her and for the experiences they shared. There's an old Blood, Sweat & Tears song that goes, "You make me so very happy, I'm so glad you came into my life," and then finishes with David Clayton-Thomas singing, "Thank you, baby," repeatedly. Similar sentiment, I think. And it could just be an expression of platonic love ? English is hurt by its lumping together of all forms of love, something which often clouds meaning. Should've learned from the Greeks...
    edited November 2002
    Rico is entirely right. I am a guy and my best friend happens to be a woman, a platonic relationship. I sometimes say I love her, but I mean it as an expression of friendship, "platonic love" as the psychologists call it. English really does suffer from the lack of depth in which it treats some emotions.
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Not to mention the simple fact of how surprised Tidus was, and how fast he turned around toward her. I saw teh japanese ending after i had seen the English one, and personally, i was like:

"thank god they didnt say thank you in the american one"

But whatever.
  • AkuKuroMajikkuAkuKuroMajikku New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I thought it was sweet in the ending. Though, then of course, when Yuna when running after Tidus's image, when she tripped and fell, I was laughing my butt off. ^^'

I just thought of something too...People sit here, saying it's going to be a horrible game, when videogames are just like books. Don't judge by the cover. I thought Legend of Dragoon would be one of the best games ever, when I saw the trailor. Afterwards, it was one of my least favorite RPGs, and in my opinion, a complete rip off to FF7. Just my opinion, though. tounge.gif
    edited November 2002
    The sad part is, it could've been, if they'd taken any time with the translation (and maybe mashed the plot together so it took slightly less than 50 hours to play through) Instead, we got a pretty literal-looking translation that was filled with enough inconsistencies to sink the story (and then some).
    And then there was that menu system <shudder>
    edited November 2002
    So Legend of Dragoon is like Mega Man Legends 2, enough plotholes to be used as a sieve. Haven't played it yet but boy am I glad I got it in the bargain basement. Any way, I'm really looking forward to FFX-2. Square has some of the best quality out there, and I'm willing to bet that this game will recieve the same care and attention all their other games have.
    edited November 2002
    Eh, you should give LoD a chance. It's awful in many respects, but I still enjoyed my playthrough - when I wasn't looking to murder the perpetrator of the translation or the composer.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Does anyone know if there will be a world map in the sequel?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bluezero02 @ Nov. 19 2002,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In a game that aims for realism, such mistakes stand out. Look at Soul Reaver 2 for a good example of mouth movement. (I'm not entirely certain if that was made there or here...)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, but they cheated somewhat by having a main character whose mouth was covered by an enormous scarf; and before your hackles start to rise, I loved that game.

And now to resurrect the Imperial/Metric undercurrent: It was recently made illegal to sell anything in Imperial units in Britain. There have been many cases of people being taken to court, and in some cases gaol, for selling their wares in imperial mesures. Public houses are exempt; indeed, someone was recently taken to court for selling their larger in Metric measures.

On a lighter note, earlier this year a crack team of guerilla Imperialists went around removing our Metric street signs and replacing them with Imperial ones. Why? Well, speed is still measured in mph over here, but all our streetsigns measure in km. Mad.
    Heron Heron Heron
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Off topic:
    hhallahh I hope you realize that the metric system is in the hands of the general populace. the US is one of the only contries not using it because its anceint and not as accurate at could be.

On topic:
    I hope I'm not the only person that thinks square has been going to sh*t recently, ff7 was good sure ff8 not bad, but 9 and 10 ? dragon warrior 1 was better and that was like 2 hours long.

PS. to bash the yankees again, you know the only reason your country hasn't changed over is that your government believes that the country on a whole, is to dumb to switch. ouch.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Um, good comeback, I guess. You are the Wit Master. Zing, and so forth.