If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Why Are RPGs your favorite Genre?

13»

Comments

• Rent CavalierRent Cavalier Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    On average, I like RPGs for three reasons:

1) The stories. They're nowadays aways unique and highly enjoyable.

2) The music. It really sets up any mood you want. Final Fantasy has the best music. I mean, Nobuo Uemetsu is the god of video game music. If there were a religion dedicated to him, I'd be the Pope.

3) Variety. Most of the time I play traditional Rpgs, where action is mostly outshone by story. But then there are games like .hack. The action drives the story forward morethen the dialouge.

There are also games with transparent stories, where it is 95% action, 5% story. Aka, FFI and the early DW (although I really don't like DW). Here you get a basic conversation ("Get the Glorious Gong of Gonjira and the Fantastic Flute of Fiddlewinkle") then you have a long dungeon or two, where you usually have to build your characters up 5 levels before you can beat them.

That's all I have to say.
  • CautonCauton Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Just like most of the people here, my main attraction to RPGs are the stories and characters. I've always loved fantasy, and tales of epic battles and valiant heroes, and thus RPGs are right up my alley.

I also appreciate the replay value that most modern RPGs have - with almost all RPGs being filled with mini-games, optional bosses, sidequests etc they can keep you entertained for a very long time, and really are worth your money.
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2004
    I watched a few people play Dungeons & Dragons, then I got playing. The Video RPG part came when I watched a friend play FFIV first. I lost him as a friend, so it turned out I ended up finishing the game he started. Then I restarted a game of my own. I was absolutely drawn into it. Then I realized my interests also were Mid-evil and Sci-fi. So everything fell into place.
  • yournemesisyournemesis New Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    most importantly the story and characters. because these will definately leaves a deep impression of the game.
    second would be the combat system, the leveling up, learning new skills and spectacular attacks.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Feb. 26 2004,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I play RPGs because they are both, to me, relaxing and engaging at the same time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Final Cloud 0Final Cloud 0 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    RPG'S are great and should not be challenged by any other

genre .If so said genre will receive a swift smack on the

bottom.

tounge.gif just joking

I like every thing about strategy rpgs and normal ones too!