If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Enix and Square to Merge

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Fizban @ Nov. 25 2002,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2. </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Officially, Square is being disbanded and Enix will be absorbing the company's assets and liabilities..."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>What liabilities? They have the Final Fantasy juggarnaught, the new Kingdom Hearts, and the new FF projects. Those assets should outweight any Liabilty![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The assets do outweigh the liablilities. ?It's just that every business has both assets and liabilities no matter how successful or how bad it is. ?

I think a reasonable comparison would be Pepsi and Coke merging here in the States. ?It's definately something that people would never think of happening.
  • JoenzJoenz Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    What we are witnessing here is the end of an era. While some think that the merger will better games, others think it will hurt them. Neither opinions are right or wrong, for the simple fact is that this merger changes everything. The design for future projects will have to be consulted on by both sides. Whether this will be for the better or worse is unknown, both Enix and Square collaberating, mashing their varried ideas into products. Each company's games had a certain flow to them, let's call it their trademark, that made loyal fans. Now their specific trademarks will be lost when blended together. As I stated before, this could be for the best or for the worst. Two of the best game design companies are going to die and from their ashes a new power will emurge. Hold on boys and girls, a change of astronomical proportions is comming. Will you be ready for it?
  • Urban PhilosopherUrban Philosopher Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Who! What! Eh!....Huh?!

And now now the I'm over the original shock, WOW!
  • FFJunkyardFFJunkyard New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    uhhh..... i know just about everything about final fantasy....... but who are the enix? I heard some of you say somthing about ea sports.... i'm confused. sad.gif . can anyone explain to me who they are? and i don't like the feelings of this merge.
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    Ok time to straighten things out...

Electronic Arts
    EA is principally a developer of sports games in the U.S. ?But Electronic Arts is also a major distributor of Squaresofts products in America. ?Square distribute their products in Japan, Electronic Arts have distributed all of Square's titles from Final Fantasy 8 and onwards in America and Square-Europe localise and distribute Square's titles in Europe and Australasia. ?Obviously this merger is set to affect Square-Europe (which will also probably be disbanded...) and EA in a very big way.

Enix
    This developer doesnt have quite the success square has had in the Western world but is immensely popular in Japan, just as popular as Square in Japan and the two often butt heads when they release their new RPGs out into the market. ?Some of Enix's games released in America include Dragon Warrior, Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile and Grandia 1,2 and Xtreme. ?It has a close cult following in America. ?

As a previous poster said this kind of merge can be compared to Coke and Pepsi getting together. ?No one thought it could happen. ?I thought Square was back in the black again after their last financial report...but I guess profitability and liquidity are two separate things eh?

• DragoniteDragonite Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Wow this is just plain shocking in every sense. I would never imagine this day would come as the two biggest rpg rivals merge into 1 Company. This could have some very good things to come in the far future. Well i look forward to enjoying the games they might put out. One question I heard at www.rpgfan.com that the company will be called Square enix? so which one is it enix square or square enix. It doesn't really matter as long they make great games.
  • KiluKilu Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I just hope that they will release a sequel to Teranigma now. That would be also brilliant news.
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2002
    I find this to be good news. If Square has disbanded, then Sony no longer owns that 20% of them, and if Enix has absorbed whatever's left, and Enix Square allowed to use the Names Final Fantasy and Seiken Densetsu, and such, then this could mean great news for Nintendo fans.

Perhaps Nintendo was given information regarding this before, and maybe even has a hand in it. Could their MEGATONNE announcement be that Enix Square is becoming a Nintendo Second Party?
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    First things first:

Holy ####!

Now that I've offended everyone, I translated a couple articles regarding the press conference that took place at 3:30 pm local time today in Japan (about 5 hours ago).

First, Square does indeed disband.

Second, Chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima of Enix will be the Chairman of Enix, Square Inc.

Third, Yoichi Wada will become "President-Director" (a better translation is probably just "President".

Fourth, Keiji Honda will become Vice President.

Fifth, the merger was made to continue the growth of both companies, according to Mr. Fukushima, as well as to fuel rapid innovation.

Sixth, the merger began in August when Mr. Fukushima and Mr. Wada met with Mr. Honda and said, "Wouldn't it be great if we merged our companies?"

Seventh, in October, full scale deliberations and negotiations were completed.

Eighth, Mr. Wada is quoted as saying, "this merger is a merger of an attack. Both companies realize a high profits level, say very much now, and are states. In order to remain undefeated further from now on because the both companies merge, it tells first that it dared have decided the merger to the present timing." It's a rough translation, but you get the picture.

Ninth, Mr. Honda is quoted as saying, "game industry changes sharply after this. The highest contents are made, and in order to activate the whole industry, I was allowed to talk to Mr. Wada from before. Both companies' view is close in it, and a complement relation is also strong. It turns out that it has the almost same target. Then, can't it be interesting if both companies become together? Isn't a work with which imagination does not attach the staff who is working, either made? I hear that he wanted to make it such a company, and it went into the talk of a merger.
    The decision was told to that I want to make the work which can be regarded as "Whether such a thing was in this world" taking advantage of the overwhelming power of both companies with it being final although various subjects occur, verifying" - again, rough translation, but you get the idea.

Tenth, According to Mr. Wada and Mr. Honda, there will be no reduction in personnel.

Eleventh, when asked if Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy will be united, Mr. Wada answered, "as soon as future planned whether it is fusion of "DORAKUE" and "FF", although it thinks that some will be done because both companies become together" - Basically, we have no plans to at the moment, but it is likely it will be done after the merger.

Twelth, when asked about whether or not the new company would support the Xbox and Gamecube, Mr. Wada answered, "There was no platform strategy in our thoughts." - thoughts is probably better translated "Talks or meetings".

Thirteenth, Sony's relationship with the new company will remain the same as their relationship with Square Co. Ltd - In other words, Sony's stake in Square will translate into a stake in the new company.

Fourteenth, when asked if their mutual alliance partner Namco would be joining the new company, Mr. Fukushima answered that there had not been any merger talks with Namco, that it had just been Enix and Square in the merger talks.

Okay, there you have it, what has to be my longest post ever. I'm still in shock. I still have some questions. There had been some concerns/questions about SquareEA and EASquare. Those publishing deals were originally set to expire at the end of this year. I've asked SquareEA repeatedly whether they were going to be extended, but never received an answer. I also know now why SquareEA canceled their official announcement of future plans last week. Hopefully, by days end we'll have more information as to what the future holds for SquareEA, etc.
  • CyrusLanceCyrusLance New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Square and Enix merging at first glance sounds like a good deal to me but then again you say that Square will be absorbed by Enix. Well that doesn't sound good, if that means that the Final Fantasy series will now be dictated by Enix. I hope it's a merger of equals not one company being better than the other and modifying any of the existing series in a negative way. But on the plus side I can also see how this could benefit both because joint efforts at games would definately bring out the best the industry has seen. As long as both companys keep their identity in the new Enix Square, meaning the series continue and game styles continue I'll be happy.
    Thats a good point though Q. Mulative in saying that now Enix Square may be able to work more with Nintendo. I think thats just great, Sony and Square are a good combination but I miss the good old days, to an extend, when Square and Nintendo worked hand and hand on SNES games (Wow.... the memories).
  • Skye WulfeSkye Wulfe New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CyrusLance @ Nov. 26 2002,05:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Square and Enix merging at first glance sounds like a good deal to me but then again you say that Square will be absorbed by Enix. ?Well that doesn't sound good, if that means that the Final Fantasy series will now be dictated by Enix. ?I hope it's a merger of equals not one company being better than the other and modifying any of the existing series in a negative way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *NEWBIE ALERT, I REPEAT, NEWBIE POSTING RIGHT NOW!!! POSSIBLY HE CAN AND WILL MAKE SILLY ERRORS!!!*

Actually, considering the new company is going to be called Enix Square and everything is about 50 split down the company in terms of positioning of employees, I don't think it really matters if one company is said to be 'absorbed' by the other. I think the only reason why they say 'absorbed' is to make it sound easier to digest ... for just about everyone. Cause like, meh, that's a hard one to swallow.

Now let me take this moment to say, that when Enix, Square, and Namco bought stakes in each other, I kinda was wondering why not just go full out. Heh, well, seems like they are going full out.

I wonder if Namco's going to join. Kinda be funny if they did since Namco's got the rights to the Xenosaga series by Monolith and well... You get the picture. Probably should Namco join, the company would just call themselves Namco Enix Square. Or, NES.

Now pardon me, as I go now, and be totally floored for the rest of my day by the implications of this.
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Skye Wulfe @ Nov. 26 2002,09:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now let me take this moment to say, that when Enix, Square, and Namco bought stakes in each other, I kinda was wondering why not just go full out. Heh, well, seems like they are going full out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Namco and Enix gave Square money to fund PlayOnline, they did not buy stakes in each other. As for Namco joining the combined Enix Square, at the press conference today the chairman of the new company said that Namco had not been involved in any merger talks
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited November 2002
    One moment please...

Eh... ah... humina humina, voop voop, woowoowoowoo...

Ok now back to the issue. This is bigger than huge. i honestly never knew that Chrono Trigger was made by both Square and Enix. Maybe now with this merger, Chrono Break may come about, or dare I say it, completly original idea's. This merger could mean good things. Guess we'll have to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • gfpaperboy22gfpaperboy22 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    So... let me get this straight here for a sec. ?"Square Disbanded"= The crap hit the fan for squaresoft milking the FF series while trying to recover from a terrible movie? ?And Enix has merged with Square= Squaresoft got drunk on its earlier successes and Enix is the designated driver?
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gfpaperboy22 @ Nov. 26 2002,09:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So... let me get this straight here for a sec. ?"Square Disbanded"= The crap hit the fan for squaresoft milking the FF series while trying to recover from a terrible movie? ?And Enix has merged with Square= Squaresoft got drunk on its earlier successes and Enix is the designated driver?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No. Square disbanded = "Square Co. Ltd. is no more, SquareSoft and all other divisions will become divisions of Enix Square on April 1st, 2003."

"Square merged with Enix" = Yoichi Wada and Keiji Honda got together in August (at TGS? I can't remember when TGS is) and a "Wouldn't it be great if we merged our companies?" conversation got started, which ballooned into an actual merger.
  • gfpaperboy22gfpaperboy22 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    ah, thanks for the correction there. I was just afraid that my predictions came true.
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    It seems that this will add a whole new level to gaming, CHrono Break better be good as ####. biggrin.gif
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gfpaperboy22 @ Nov. 26 2002,10:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ah, thanks for the correction there. ?I was just afraid that my predictions came true.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I did a rough translation of an article about the actual press conference. you can find it on page 2 of this thread. They didn't go into too much detail, but its better than none.
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Milliniar @ Nov. 26 2002,02:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"this merger/buy out has implications with, both Sony and EA. I guess we will find out later if Sony Managed to get 20% of this company or if they are fine with from my calculations about 8%, or the doubtful sell their stock.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sony currently owns 18.6% of Square. Since the Square stock is being transmuted to Enix stock at the rate of 1 square share = .81 enix share, at most Sony will own 7.533% or there abouts of the new company.

In a very unusual move, the stock price of both companies rose today, Square rose 8.5% and Enix Shares, while officially untraded, had bids placed which would raise the stock approximately 11%. Usually, when two companies merge, the company doing the merging goes up, while the company absorbing the mergee's stock goes down.
  • ShaleShale Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Holy God, this is insane...

I just hope they keep their flagship series separate. If I see the FMV-fest Final Fantasy has become in the next installment of Dragon Quest, that'll be more than enough to sour me on this.

The possiblity for joint projects is quite tantalizing, though...

::drools over a worthy Chrono Trigger successor::
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shale @ Nov. 26 2002,10:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just hope they keep their flagship series separate.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As mentioned before, they have no definite plans, but said it would be likely there would be some sort of Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy Crossover.
  • AnimaAnima New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    This could go either way.. man.. earthshattering news for me here.. I'll have to wait for the first game to say anything, but.. I'm scared! sad.gif
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ Nov. 26 2002,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Namco and Enix gave Square money to fund PlayOnline, they did not buy stakes in each other. ?As for Namco joining the combined Enix Square, at the press conference today the chairman of the new company said that Namco had not been involved in any merger talks[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Firemyst was so kind to point out to me that there was indeed a 3-way stock swap. So what happens is Enix Square will own 10% of Namco, and Namco will own 9% of Enix Square (well, actually 9.x%).
  • FFJunkyardFFJunkyard New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    man, i'm too confused, well, as long as they continue the final fantasy, i'm happy.
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    Man im not sure about the merge i think i really suxs cause squares doing to have to split and i think Enix is just mergeing to steal squares manpower and technolodgy mad.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    I can't believe that this is actually happening. ?With these two companies merging to make RPG's and all the sorts, they will virtually OWN the RPG department. ?But I have one question about this whole thing, would they make games for PS2 only or make games for all three systems?
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I can't see how this could possibly be a good thing. Less competition is good for COMPANIES, not consumers.
    Furthermore, being a Final Fantasy fan and not a Dragon Quest Fan, this news brings a tear to my eye and vomit to my throat.
    What's next, FFXII on the original Playstation, with horrible graphics, blocky interfaces, and huge text? As someone mentioned before, Enix is sort of the "anti-Square." Pardon my pessimism, but I shudder to think of the absolute crap that will get churned out in the future, which people will buy, regardless of its quality or lack thereof.
    But at this point, I shudder even more at the bizarre rumours you folks are trying to start at this time, such as something involving Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer, apparently. There hasn't been one of those types of games since the Super NES -- if Enix didn't do it alone, I doubt Enix/Square will make one.

And... I had no idea Chrono Trigger was the result of a past Enix/Square collaboration. I can see the Squaresoft in it, but what the heck did Enix do?
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FireTrinityX @ Nov. 26 2002,12:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I can't believe that this is actually happening. ?With these two companies merging to make RPG's and all the sorts, they will virtually OWN the RPG department. ?But I have one question about this whole thing, would they make games for PS2 only or make games for all three systems?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    When asked about publishing at the press conference, they stated that there were not any current plans to publish for Xbox or GameCube, but they might change their minds in the future. Currently, they plan on staying with the leader(s). PlayStation 2 and GameBoy Advance.
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Nov. 26 2002,12:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And... I had no idea Chrono Trigger was the result of a past Enix/Square collaboration. ?I can see the Squaresoft in it, but what the heck did Enix do?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Toriyama, the character designer of Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest is the character designer for Chrono Trigger. I believe the Dragon Quest designer who's name escapes me at the moment also collaborated on the story.

As for Enix being Anti-Square, I think your think of Enix just being Dragon Quest and Square just being Final Fantasy.

Both companies have produced other games. Square is well know for flashy graphics and great music, and Enix is well know for great stories, good graphics, and decent music. I personally think they will compliment each other nicely, although I serious doubt their claims that they will keep all personnel from both companies.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    You should remember, Enix made RPGs like Valkyrie Profile, and Star Ocean, not just Dragon Quest. I'm honestly glad about it. I'm glad Square will be the one that moves into Enix.