If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Discusses the Future

Joseph WithamJoseph Witham MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
Plenty to discuss here. We even got to hear a little from Square that hadn't been talked about until now, like the possibility of a Kingdom Hearts 2!

Anyway, I really like how Yasuhiro Fukushima said that the emphasis of the new company would be placed on quality games. We can put to rest any fears of third-party crappiness.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2002
    The only BAD thing about this is that we'll be getting slews of incredibly awesome games so fast that I won't be able to keep up with them cash-wise, and will have to get a job!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

All the new gaming goodness!! Kingdom Hearts II, FFXI, FFXII, FFXIII!!! Plus the new Dragon Quest, and slews of incredibly good Enix-based games to come too!!

This merger is a giant leap in the world of gaming. Now all we need is every single one to go to PC and Palm too, and we'll be set. Hopefully the cost/good game ratio will go down quite a bit, so the slews of good games will be buyable.
  • HolySwordsmanCidHolySwordsmanCid New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Wow...I'm starting to believe that this might be a good thing. Hopefully, neither company will let us down in the future.

As far as games are concerned, as long as the Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Xeno games keep going strong I'll be okay with Square's side of the deal. Enix? Who are they? Just kidding. On their side, I'll only be expecting some good Star Ocean games, as I have never been too keen on Dragon Warrior/Quest.

I will add that when the companies figure out a logo, PLEASE DON"T LET IT BE A BIG GREEN E! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED! Ahem...yeah...
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    The Xeno games are now Namco's territory, so don't expect many from Square Enix.
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2002
    One must wonder whether Nintendo is even trying now. ?Considering they should be aggressively marketing themselves as the only game system on market, and their past accomplishments of single-handedly saving the gaming industry, you'd think they'd be trying to return to glory. ?Now it seems like they've just lain down and given the dagger to Sony. ?

Square-Enix, Sega, Rare, so many opportunities lost. ?Are they even alive anymore, or are they just giving all their talent away before they declare bankruptcy?

Congratulations, I lose. If anyone needs me, I'll be on Phantasy Star Online, in a last ditch effort to support innovation and good gameplay.

Well, there's always that bombshell announcement. Maybe it's all just a joke and Dragon Quest is really Nintendo exclusive or something.

• Options
    edited November 2002
    The only Enix/Tri-Ace game im interested in is Star Ocean. And the Kingdom Hearts sequal was clear from the start, theres a trailer for it when you beat the game. (well im assuming thats what it was for, seems that way) but this may yet be the best thing that has ever happened to the RPG world.
    edited November 2002
    Square is developing more for Nintendo now than it has been doing in years. Enix hasn't really been supporting Nintendo except on the Game Boy, which it continues to do so. You can't really blame Sega for removing their sports titles from the GameCube, seeing how dismally they did in stores. Rare is really the only legitimate loss of the companies you listed, and they hardly put out a huge number of titles a year when they were working for Nintendo (and the games weren't all that great, nor great sellers when they did come out), so Nintendo probably didn't lose all that much when Rare left.

Meanwhile, Nintendo keeps grabbing important exclusives, like the Resident Evil series. I feel Nintendo has a lot of important things going on that will turn out great, so I don't really think Nintendo's doing too badly at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Congratulations, I lose. If anyone needs me, I'll be on Phantasy Star Online, in a last ditch effort to support innovation and good gameplay.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

We'll miss you.
  • Faceless ManFaceless Man Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Square/Enix, Disney/Square...Hey maybe we'll get the best thing we can get ever-

ONE SYSTEM!

Sega/Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft *sigh* That's what dreams are made of..
  • MalboroMalboro Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Heh Heh... you do know that Nintendo and Sony console sells in Japan are nearly equal now right?

Anyway yeah I was pretty clear that they was gonna be KH2 before it even hit the shelves they don't go through all that trouble for one game!!
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    There had better be cheaper release prices, though. Dishing out for those slews of incredibly awesome games will be a pain in the wallet if prices don't drop a tad.
  • _darkportal__darkportal_ New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    cool of merg Square Enix.
    I am with 100% & hope all the best.

my saying & my bro shoshinjo
    PC & Sony til beyond.

PS2 now when does PS3 comes in few years I am there.

wink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    mad.gif I'm STILL not real thrilled about this. square doesn't need enix, the only thing square needs to do is broaden their horizons, i mean how many more games can they make with a Cid in it? square should stand alone!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What I think what I feel it's got control of me, what I feel what I am its takin over me![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
  • The Patriot of FateThe Patriot of Fate New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    What I really can't wait for is the next Valkyrie Profile game! ?No one appears to really care about that though! ?Final Fantasy is great, as is the majority of Square games, but Enix/Tri-Ace need to hurry it up with that Valkyrie Profile series! ?Also, how about another go around with the Riskbreakers Square?

• Joseph WithamJoseph Witham Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Unfortunately, Vagrant Story didn't sell as well as was expected in Japan, so it may be a while before we get another tale from the Riskbreakers.

And tri-Ace is supposedly going to begin work on the next Valkyrie Profile title once Star Ocean 3 is out.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Is this great news... Not really, I sick of hearing of the merger. But even I must say that the business style to this story is interesting, the merger could make a powerful company. However, I like the fact that the companies have insured gamers that quality is the greatest considered of the merger, something that I feel no company can promise on (I have a good feeling that Square have spearheaded this comment) since that is on the judgment of the people that review any game from the new company game.
    I'm going to enjoy the next couple of months from this Square/Enix.
  • hlhsquallsionhlhsquallsion Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    y'know, i really REALLY gotta say this cuz it's nagging my brain. blast me on this if you wish, this is my opinion
    a merger between square and enix... wow. i heard of enix from chrono trigger but other than that i know nothing else about it except that the guy who created dragonball works there or somethin, but anyway...

wow. nice way of squaresoft saying they're losing money.

we all know that's true. yes, sales have been skyrocketing. yes, they are big. but the big companies are the ones who tend to get money-minded and bloated. as far as i know, squaresoft are losing story ideas.
    this is evident in the sequels they're planning for FFX and Kingdom Hearts. the message i got from these announcements is that they're desperate. they are churning out all these because they cant think of any more individual plots. with direct sequels you use the first one to support the successor. also, so far i have seen nothing that i have never seen in other games in the more recent games from squaresoft.
    keep in mind that sequels dont tend to do as well in storyline as their preccessors (ok i forgot how to spell that). there are exceptions, but honestly i cant say who at this time. for example, parasite eve kicked butt. the sequel was fun too, but it's not as creepy and not as deep in story, because the story was already said in the first. gameplay and such may improve, but the main thing of an rpg is the plot and squaresoft better come up with something new, or at least somethin barely anyone has ever used before.

oh about the merger thing, hp and compaq comes to my mind... biggrin.gif

• QuazarQuazar Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Yay! Kingdom Hearts 2! Of course, I've been saying that for a while. It sold well, and Square doesn't partner with Disney for just ONE game. The companies are too big for that. I just hope this time Mr. Director Tetsuya Nomura doesn't remain biased by only including the FF characters HE designed in the game. I mean really. FF4, FF6, and FF9 characters need to be in there, too. Also, I want a frickin' Lion King world! That is the BEST Disney movie EVER! I wanna go to Pride Rock and fight Scar! One can only hope...

Square needs to unveil FF12. I know they have enough material to do so, they just don't want to take the hype away from FFX-2. I'll buy FFX-2, but I don't need more info on it, I care MUCH more about FF12. Oh well, I assume around March we'll here about FF12, and then it'll come out in Japan next summer. Just gotta be patient...

Quazar
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"oh about the merger thing, hp and compaq comes to my mind... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

But neither HP nor Compaq made good computers BEFORE their merger. Square and Enix both made good games before theirs.

And is a Valkyrie Profile sequel even possible? I mean, this one's not like a sequel to FF7, since you're playing through the Norse end-of-the-world myth. What would come after that? I guess you could make a prequel, but it wouldn't quite have the scale of the first game.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Matsuno said he wanted to make another Vagrant Story, but management told him they aren't interested which is too bad.

The games ahead? Kingdom Hearts 2 is a give in. A new square/enix series is also a certainty, although I've heard rumours of a mixed DW/FF instead of a new series. I can see the square president inflicting his influence already...Why DW? It's strange. From what I can see here, you would think it would be FF that changed, not the other way around.

I'm not going to respond on this board anymore. We will have to wait and see.

They better lower prices. I don't even HAVE a wallet!
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Malboro @ Nov. 30 2002,13:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Heh Heh... you do know that Nintendo and Sony console sells in Japan are nearly equal now right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not sure where you got that information. ?While it's true the GBA has been outselling the PS2 at an approximately 1.8/1 margin over the last month or two, the PS2 has outsold the GC at a 2/1 margin or better during that time frame. ?That's an improvement from the 6/1 margin earlier in the year, and a heck of a lot better than the 22/1 margin the Xbox is getting smashed with, but no where near "equal" wink.gif

edit grr. typos.

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    This is still weird to me. I'd like to see another Mana game on the Square side, but who knows if it's gonna happen now? Also with KH 2 I'm kinda half expecting to see a batch of Dragon Quest Characters alongside the Final Fantasy ones...after all it is a crazy crossover game!

It's also intresting to see what will happen over here on the American side...with the translators and stuff...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 01 2002,05:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And is a Valkyrie Profile sequel even possible? I mean, this one's not like a sequel to FF7, since you're playing through the Norse end-of-the-world myth. What would come after that? I guess you could make a prequel, but it wouldn't quite have the scale of the first game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Obviously, someone didn't quite let the game sit for a little bit after the credits of the A ending...
    edited December 2002
    Obviously, someone didn't have time to go back and get the A ending after he finally got his review copy, after many months of waiting. ;)
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I remember reading in an EGM about a rumor of remakes of FFVII-IX to be made for the Playstation 2 roughly two years ago. Does anyone here think that with the merger this project may be revived? If I remember correctly it was scrapped because of Square's financial woes.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Dec. 03 2002,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I remember reading in an EGM about a rumor of remakes of FFVII-IX to be made for the Playstation 2 roughly two years ago. Does anyone here think that with the merger this project may be revived? If I remember correctly it was scrapped because of Square's financial woes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    At an interview/Q&A session in January of 2001 Mr. Sakaguchi said he wanted to remake 7, 8, and 9 for PS2. ?They even appear on Square's official time line in press releases around that time. ?Then tSW tanked and they got canned. There's a slight possibility they could be revived, but I think Square Enix is going to be putting its resources to other projects (FF7-2, anyone?)

edited December 2002
    ok enough with this direct sequel thing. it's making me sick. i still think squaresoft is running out of ideas and is basically recycling the old ones.
    somehow this whole merger thing has a catch. i dont know what exactly, but some mergers, especially with big-name companies, dont work out. i'm thinking aol-time warner, hp-compaq, i dont know what else but there are more out there somewhere. somebody will say these companies dont make the best products inthe first place, but, frankly, i think square's recent games aren't up to par with the classics. FFX may end up being one, but not all classics are good. by "recent" i mean from the time the ps2 was released. with that, the focus became mainly on graphics and s*** like that, which isn't going to work with me or the countless out there with the same opinions. (ok, i gotta admit, i like the bouncer but that's it for the square games on ps2).
    back to the matter at hand; i tend to drift off...
    just because there's a big merger doesn't mean there will be good results. there's gotta be financial problems, stymied story ideas, and consumer satisfication. once again, i'm refering to this big company that's falling called A-O-you probably know by now. with the merger of square and enix, i highly doubt everything they promised will fall through without roadblocks. and i highly doubt they can deliver all that without breaking the bank.
    end of speech. confused.gif
  • Joseph WithamJoseph Witham Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Obviously, someone didn't quite let the game sit for a little bit after the credits of the A ending...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I was nothing short of stunned... and a little confused, admittedly, at the very end of the A Ending. ?The game isn't even worth playing if you don't get the A Ending! ?But, it is one hell of a challenge to trigger all the events correctly to actually get it

• WildDracWildDrac Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I definitely don't think Square is running out of ideas. While there are definitely some games I'm not impressed with, there seem to be plenty of new innovations and stories. And while some direct sequels I'm definitely not sure on (FF7-2), in the case of FFX-2, I think that the sequel will be good because it will complete the story. Anyway, I think that this merger will produce good results, as both companies are strong in the market and are good at what they do.
  • SwiftbladeSwiftblade New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well for me I am still against Square-Enix, I love Square, though a few of their titles were quite good Enix never really impressed me all that much.
    Also I don't quite think that Square is running out of ideals. I'll tell you why in 1997 right after FF7 was released there were already crys for a squeal or just a redone version. Though at the time they really didn't have the assets to really undergo the project and they still weren't doing squeals. Though now because of finally recovering from FF:TSW it now enters there piont of view agian. Also since they are officially doing FF-X2 it even grows more tempting.
    Also making squeals, ect, to other titles is just the pratical thing to do. In the real world everyone practically wants as much money as they can possibly get. Since the first title made money it is usually a good ideal to make another. Think of the first FF if they thought that that was enough then and made enough money we might of never got the other FF masterpieces. Again take for instance Star Wars same story there.There are many more of the same things happening all the time.
    edited December 2002
    unfortunately, FFX was, in my opinion, the second-worst FF i had played or watched (FFIX was the worst; i never played it because my brother said it sucks and i tried to play it myself, only to get bored). maybe a sequel to FFX will make up for it, but it better be better.
    As far as i can interpret now, FFIX and beyond borrowed heavily from other stories. sure, there are some surprising moments in FFX, but nothing else supports them, making them seem like they're just thrown in to draw a bit of temporay interest. they didn't come at the right time either. my bro and i both said, "we spent $50 on this piece of s***". it's too shallow for me.
    i barely hear any news about the next TRADITIONAL installments of FF (FFXII, FFXIII). instead, it's just the DIRECT sequels. as i had said before, direct sequels typically don't contain the same magic and atmosphere as the original.
    since there's nothing i can do to stop this direct sequel to FF thing, i just have one wish: hopefully, you can have the option to turn off the character's voices. their voices are rather cliched. Rikku as the example of a chipper, cutesy, and scaredy-cat stereotype has the voice of a chipper, cutesy, and scaredy-cat stereotype (and she's the youngest, making it worse). the voices may or may not fit them, but the way they talk suggest stereotypes and cliched characters.
    i swear my characters in my FF fic are more developed.

but on the topic of the merger, i barely heard of enix. and i wonder why...
    i better dodge the rotten tomato <span id='ME'><center>hlhsquallsion leaves behind a cloud of dust</center></span>

<span style='color:blue'>once upon and once up high, a dandy dreams what means to die, things to come as life goes by, the core of human equation</span>