If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja - Review

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited February 2007 in Latest Updates
Cute, sexy female ninja seeks employment. Special skills include ninjutsu, sword fighting, and whining. Extensive experience in dungeon crawling, assassination, and failure.

You're better off playing Summon Night...

Furthermore, I am announcing my resignation from RPGamer. After over four years of work, I'm moving on. I'll still be around to field questions regarding this review and the game itself!

So long, gang, and thanks for reading my news and reviews. inlove.gif

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    I had hoped reading this review would cure my "morbid curiosity." Unfortunately, it hasn't. If I could have found this game today, I would have bought it. Every time I read a review about how hard a game is, I always think, "Psh, I could beat it, send me a copy!" I suspect I'll end up blowing the $30 on this game, and end up hating myself and it sad.gif

Oh, and I'm fairly new around here, but gratz on "moving on."
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • panny cakepanny cake Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2007
    Ugh, what a way to end your career here. They couldn't have stuck you with a better game?

Sure you don't wanna hang out until Etrian Odyssey comes out? laugh.gif
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited February 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Players may derive amusement from occasionally beating the system, but typically, in a Soviet twist, the system beats you.</div>
    biggrin.gif
    Nice.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    In b4 "roguelike games shouldn't be given bad scores because they're soooooooo misunderstood" (yeah, some people dislike our review because of that "reason").

In any case, RPGamer's losing a great asset. Good luck, yo.
  • DragoonKain3DragoonKain3 Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Nice to hear that the difficulty is as challenging as I hear it rumored to be. I usually don't purchase rpgs that doesn't feature controlling multiple characters at once, but I spent way too much time playing and enjoying Rogue to pass this one up. Unforgiving game conditions you say? I say bring it on; part of Rogue's charm, well at least to me, was the thrill of having your next move be the cause of erasing everything you have worked for so far.

God knows how many times I died, lol.

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Sad to see you go Alethea. I wish you well on your future endeavors.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Don't leave the forum too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">In b4 "roguelike games shouldn't be given bad scores because they're soooooooo misunderstood" (yeah, some people dislike our review because of that "reason").</div>

Ah, yeah, that nastiness on GameFAQs. XD It was funny how they focused on our complaints regarding difficulty, and ignored how we rated down the rest of the game as well. Izuna is a bad game not because of its worn-out punishing roguelike formula, but because it fails in music, graphics, story, etc.

Oh well. Joke's on them because most of them are convinced this is a yuri game. Unless the juicy bits are after the bonus dungeons, they're going to be quite disappointed.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Seriously. Phil and I were glancing around at that last night and there were *359 threads in the vein of "Wow Izuna is one hot mama" or "Izuna is so cute!" or "how do I tell my girlfriend I like looking at hentai more than I like looking at her?"

...and then these same people were so valiantly defending a game they've not played. It's some of the finer entertainment to be found on the internet.

* = Estimated.

• VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    That's two consecutive reviews that have induced giggles due to screenshot captions.

Awesome review, Ale.
  • SirusjrSirusjr Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for confirming what I could tell from the short videos I watched at gametrailers. Not like anything even up to a 3 would have made me want it.
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (Rage @ Feb. 21 2007,22:53)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Seriously. Phil and I were glancing around at that last night and there were *359 threads in the vein of "Wow Izuna is one hot mama" or "Izuna is so cute!" or "how do I tell my girlfriend I like looking at hentai more than I like looking at her?"

...and then these same people were so valiantly defending a game they've not played. It's some of the finer entertainment to be found on the internet.

* = Estimated.</div>
    I hate the Internet sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gades_DestroyGades_Destroy Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    You will be missed. Take care!
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Reading this review does kind of make me wish someone here would review Rouge and Nethack. Yes, I understand a lot of the down rating wasn't for the rouge-likeness. However, I'd like to know how good or bad it is as a rouge-like, barring plot, characters, etc. (Surely they have to be better than Rouge an Nethack's plot and characters.) There's no real reference for that here.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
    edited February 2007
    What the bloody hell?

Nice to see where the focus was...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2007
    Not surprised a game with such a title isn't that good tounge2.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (Xerain @ Feb. 22 2007,12:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Reading this review does kind of make me wish someone here would review Rouge and Nethack. Yes, I understand a lot of the down rating wasn't for the rouge-likeness. However, I'd like to know how good or bad it is as a rouge-like, barring plot, characters, etc. (Surely they have to be better than Rouge an Nethack's plot and characters.) There's no real reference for that here.</div>
    As an avid Rogue player, even as a huge fan of dungeon crawlers, I'm not sure I could review it. The story fits in one sentence, there is no music and the graphics are ASCII. I suppose high scores for replay and originality, because at the time it was outstanding... but that's pretty much all I can think of for a review.

Except that it took me over 200 tries to win once. wow.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • BrittonBritton Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    I had quite an interest in this game until a few months ago when I learned the dungeons would be randomly generated. I hate that in an RPG, and refuse to buy any RPG that has randomly generated dungeons no matter how good everything else is.
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Feb. 22 2007,15:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">What the bloody hell?

Nice to see where the focus was...</div>
    Nice. Very nice. That is some good fanservice right there.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • LinkOcarinaManLinkOcarinaMan Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    Good to hear that you are leaving RPGamer after a terrible review like that.

I got this game yesterday and I am loving every minute of it.
    edited February 2007
    What praytell makes it a terrible review? If you aren't going to bother backing up that claim it might behoove you to refrain from making such comment. Your comment borders on both being inflammatory and insulting.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited February 2007
    It's a terrible review because the game is actually good.

3 to 3.5 sounds about right. 1.5 is just insane.
    edited February 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Good to hear that you are leaving RPGamer after a terrible review like that.</div>

Regardless of your agreement or disagreement with her review, that's a pretty fijuking horrible thing to say.

May I have a lock of your hair? I have a voodoo doll to make.

Additionally...

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">3 to 3.5 sounds about right. 1.5 is just insane. </div>

Have a look around; there are absolutely 0 positive reviews for this game.

edited February 2007
    <div>
    (LinkOcarinaMan @ Feb. 22 2007,23:16)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">It's a terrible review because the game is actually good.

3 to 3.5 sounds about right. ?1.5 is just insane.</div>
    Why is the game good? ?If you think the review is that bad, why not submit your own review instead of slamming Alethea for her review. ?She thinks the game is bad. ?Are you honestly going to claim that her subjective experience of the game is somehow wrong while yours is right? ?So what if she thinks it is a bad game. ?Enjoy the game and choose not to heed the review.

There is no need for you to insult her for honestly giving her opinion about the game. ?I find it galling that you would call the review terrible because you do not like what she has to say. ?Your behavior is reprehensible as the idiots at Games Are Fun who give negative comments to non-inflammatory comments they don't like.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited February 2007
    Let's please move on from this troll. I've given him a formal warning that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated.

Now back to topic.

So how are the maps designed? Are they at least holding some twists and turns, or are they the typical sort of thing you see from random maps (long straightways, nothing really to find by exploring)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (Martyr @ Feb. 22 2007,20:18)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Have a look around; there are absolutely 0 positive reviews for this game.</div>
    O RLY?

Gamezone = 7.5/10 (nice score)
    Nintendo POwer = 6.5/10 (nice above average score)
    Play Magazine = 6.5/10 (nice above average score)

And it isn't posted on gamerankings, but Xplay gave the game a 3/5 which is pretty good from them.

0 positive reviews huh?
    edited February 2007
    I would not accept any review scores from Nintendo Power. ?They are a propaganda arm for Nintendo. ?Accepting a positive review score from them would be like accepting a positive review of Shrub's Iraq war policy from Fox News or a glowing news report from North Korea's state news about its nation's regime.

LordBilbanes.png
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (LinkOcarinaMan @ Feb. 22 2007,23:29)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Martyr @ Feb. 22 2007,20:18)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Have a look around; there are absolutely 0 positive reviews for this game.</div>
    O RLY?

Gamezone = 7.5/10 (nice score)
    Nintendo POwer = 6.5/10 (nice above average score)
    Play Magazine = 6.5/10 (nice above average score)

And it isn't posted on gamerankings, but Xplay gave the game a 3/5 which is pretty good from them.

0 positive reviews huh?</div>
    Nintendo Power is not a credible source of reviews because of its bias, and even still, that score isn't phenominal.

For Play Magazine, 6.5 is below their average score: 7.3%

Gamezone's score is above their norm, I'll give you that, but it's still not a "great" score.

There are a few reviews that aren't entirely negative, but none of them are really saying that the game is "great," either; a "52%" on Gamerankings, if it holds around there, will merit Izuna a place in the "worst since 12/06" list.

In any case, this isn't the real issue with me, here. The real issue is that you take your video games seriously enough to be laughingly hateful towards a person who has done an unmeasurable amount of work for this website over the past 4 years. I worked for this website for quite a while, so I know how much work goes into these things, so it baffles me how someone could say something so hateful just because they don't agree with a review score.

I'll take MasterChief's advice, I guess, so feel free to get the last word here, if you wish; you'll get no further responses from me.
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    <div>
    (Firemyst @ Feb. 22 2007,14:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Xerain @ Feb. 22 2007,12:11)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Reading this review does kind of make me wish someone here would review Rouge and Nethack. Yes, I understand a lot of the down rating wasn't for the rouge-likeness. However, I'd like to know how good or bad it is as a rouge-like, barring plot, characters, etc. (Surely they have to be better than Rouge an Nethack's plot and characters.) There's no real reference for that here.</div>
    As an avid Rogue player, even as a huge fan of dungeon crawlers, I'm not sure I could review it. The story fits in one sentence, there is no music and the graphics are ASCII. I suppose high scores for replay and originality, because at the time it was outstanding... but that's pretty much all I can think of for a review.

Except that it took me over 200 tries to win once. wow.gif</div>
    Well I haven't played rouge, but I've played Nethack quite a bit. I haven't ascended yet, but it's definitely a long term goal of mine. Yes, I've played Nethack on the ascii engine. I've done the graphic engine too, but the ascii engine draws less attention when you play it at work.

Basically what I would be interested in hearing about in a review for a rouge-like would be how well thought out the game as a whole is. For instance with nethack, there is a definite strategy to surviving the randomness and death traps. The "ascension kit" if you will. There are ways to counter most of the game's hazards with enough planning and caution. Yes, there are plenty stupid deaths to be had, but it's still actually possible to get good at the game and be able to beat it more easily than other players.

So for Izuna the questions, which are all kind of the same question, I have are:
    How often would an experienced player run into ?yet another stupid death? opposed to ?I was too ambitious and drank from the fountain before I was able to deal with the potential water moccasins??
    How possible is it to formulate strategies to overcome whatever the randomness will throw at you?
    How much do you feel the designers thought about the ramifications of whatever randomly generated stuff they threw in the dungeons?

Edit:
    Basically, there is a certain threshold of "yet another stupid death" that is acceptable. How much does this game exceed that threshold by compared to other rouge-likes? Would this game satisfy the desires of someone wanting to play Nethack or Rouge on the DS? (It's probably already possible to do that with the actual games, but never the less...)

<span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited February 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">So how are the maps designed? Are they at least holding some twists and turns, or are they the typical sort of thing you see from random maps (long straightways, nothing really to find by exploring) </div>

Maps suffer from having too many repeated patterns, such as parallel hallways and short loops that go back to the same room, as seen here. You don't have to "create" the in-game map as you go because you can see on the main screen whether something is just a double hallway or a pointless loop. Exploration isn't very interesting.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">How often would an experienced player run into ?yet another stupid death? opposed to ?I was too ambitious and drank from the fountain before I was able to deal with the potential water moccasins??</div>

Izuna has this funny way of completely screwing you over at a moment's notice. For example, you enter a room, and step on a sweaty trap that makes you unable to wear equipment. You cross the room and step on a demon trap and puts monsters on every square around you. Then you die because you can't equip anything and eight monsters are pounding on you at once...and your escape talisman burned up on a fire trap two floors earlier. I admit, I had a few deaths from carelessness, so I tried to not play while tired and to pay better attention to strategy. The majority of my deaths -- I'd say 85-90% -- were from being screwed over by a series of traps and a swarm of enemies. I'd take as many precautions as possible and still get screwed over.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">How possible is it to formulate strategies to overcome whatever the randomness will throw at you?</div>

Hmm. There's a little bit of strategy. RPGLand's reviewer called it the "bottleneck" method; if you hit a group of enemies, you can duck into a hallway and have them line up, then kill them one at a time. You can also try to regenerate your HP as you walk away from an unexpected enemy; as long as you don't give them an opening for a diagonal move, you can heal up a bit before facing them. Usually, though, another enemy will cross your path and you'll get pincered.

You can also try to pick up helpful items before entering a dungeon, but your inventory is limited (20 slots) and in this game, you can fill that too easily and still not be fully prepared. You need more luck than strategy to win -- and that was one reason why I hated the game. Video games are for strategy. Games of luck belong in Vegas.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">How much do you feel the designers thought about the ramifications of whatever randomly generated stuff they threw in the dungeons?</div>

The occurrence of randomly generated "oh crap" moments is really high. It's clear that the designers wanted to make a truly difficult game; I just think they went about it the wrong way.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Basically, there is a certain threshold of "yet another stupid death" that is acceptable. How much does this game exceed that threshold by compared to other rouge-likes? Would this game satisfy the desires of someone wanting to play Nethack or Rouge on the DS? (It's probably already possible to do that with the actual games, but never the less...) </div>

I've only played a few other roguelikes, and this one is the worst about exceeding the acceptable stupid death threshold. I haven't played Nethack or Rogue, but I've researched them, and this would probably satisfy their desire to play a roguelike on the DS. It will NOT meet any desires they have for other game qualities (music, graphics, story, etc.).

Izuna is clearly a niche title that will probably appeal to hardcore roguelike fans, but everyone else should avoid it.