If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sent RPGAMER.com some info on a upcoming game...?

Zidane109Zidane109 MemberFull Members
edited June 2004 in Site & Forum Support
But my question is: will they ever read it? I've noticed they havnt updated in a LONG time (it feels like it) and well do you know if they will read it?

Comments

• madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Memorial Day is a holiday weekend and therefore a reason not much news has been posted recently. Besides, E3 was just a few weeks ago and the large announcements have passed.

If you send in your info then someone will read the info, as long as you sent it to the right <span style='color:blue'>person</span>.

Also, you may not receive an immediate response due to this site being on a volunteer basis and therefore people still have a life outside of this site. Just remember that patience is a virtue.

Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited June 2004
    I think this is in the wrong place.

Moving to the RPGamer forum.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I sent it to MEDIA. I also found it on the-magicbox.com forums

I mean that someone else posted it after I sent it in...

edited June 2004
    You gotta be careful getting media from the magicbox because images that are hosted by them won't show up elsewhere, or at least i haven't seen of a way to do so yet.

If it's already been posted then they either used the ones you sent or they had found it before they had a chance to read your email. One way or the other, the media is posted so what exactly are you worried about? Just that they read your email?

One thing you gotta keep in mind is that i'm sure the site gets alot of emails per day and so it might take some time for one to go through them all. Another thing, most emails aren't answered unless an answer is asked for so there's not much of a way to know if your mail was read except by looking for the media you sent. Since your media is up then it's fairly good assumption that your email was read and they liked the media.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2004
    I'm worried that people wont get to see this cool upcoming game! laugh.gif laugh.gif
    edited June 2004
    Out of curiousity, what game are we talking about here?

Also, the media has been posted, though, right?
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2004
    its in the forums, its called "The battle of the fields" for the windows, just read about it. I'll upload the screens to my website and post them so you guys can see, seeing the magicbox stinkts
    edited June 2004
    http://www.geocities.com/shuyinpics/index.html?1086117480777

there I have new clue why I have that website lol
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, double posting is not something you need to be doing. There is an edit button if you think of other stuff to post.

Also, you're talking about a game that may or may not even be an RPG. Not all Strategy games are RPGs that is...... You don't count Chessmaster as an RPG do you?

After reading the details on the game...... It was posted in the Magicbox forums so you can't expect RPGamer to know for sure whether they should even be covering the game yet.

Also, this is from a company that I doubt many people have heard of so even if RPGamer does cover the game, it would probably be some time before they devoted time to it. They gotta be sure it's a real game and actually an RPG first.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2004
    yea when I emailed them they said it was a strategy RPG, man I have been waiting for one like this for years!
    edited June 2004
    After seeing the pictures i just gotta ask....... why have you been waiting for this for years?

The board is tiny compared to other games in the same genre and the graphics leave alot to the imagination....... especially the plain blue background.

Anyway, you must not have a PSX/PS2 or GBA otherwise you'd have had your fill of SRPG a long time ago.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2004
    The guy also mentioned the game was running in debug mode.
    I've been waiting for a game with graphics like an old SNES game for the PC, they never make them:(
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    New game coverage stuff goes to news@rpgamer.com. Screens go to media@rpgamer.com. Also, like madhtr said, it depends on what kind of game it is. Strategy doesn't always mean RPG, and we only cover stuff from well-known companies and reliable sources.

Yeah, people send us a lot of stuff they think we should cover, but we can't cover everything that's related to stuff that's related to RPGs.
  • sanyrsanyr Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Suppose I'll wait to get excited until after I see some screenshots that weren't taken in 'debug mode' and when I can find something on Ackk Software on Google. ;)
  • Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2004
    If a reader submits the news maybe they should be the one posting it, not the staff. They should at the very least get credit.
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ June 06 2004,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They should at the very least get credit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If a member sends in news or media then they are given proper recognition.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ June 06 2004,16:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If a reader submits the news maybe they should be the one posting it, not the staff.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

A good idea if we didn't like the whole security thing.

Whatever is done concerning bylines is news' territory. Personally, I think whoever finds it should just be satisfied it is reported. They shouldn't need a byline.
    edited June 2004
    Maybe you shouldnt get any credit for what you do around the forums. You should just be thankful Mikel is letting you be and admin. Yours is not a terribly fair idea.
    edited June 2004
    I am terribly grateful to Mikel for HIRING ME. Being part of this site is a great thing, and everything I do I am grateful I am hired. Don't begin to insinuate otherwise. For the record I get no credit for this board other than people knowing who to go to. Any edits will be credited to me only in my own mind and in a thread telling you what I edited, nothing more.

However, there is a strict difference between what you're saying and what I'm saying. I design images on this site. I write in my words, I everything by hand when I work on something. It is, in effect, my work. I get credit for doing my own work, ie the fan art. Note, the design is mine so I get the credit for it along with tuinte who did a great job coding it. I update it every time by hand. It is my work. The artists get credit for their work, because they worked on it with their own hands.

You are wanting people to get credit for coming across news we do not have. Basically, they go to a site, find a tidbit, send it in and that is their work even though it is our staff that writes the story, our staff that edits the images, our staff that codes the page, OUR STAFF that uploads it.

Even when we use media from other sites, we source it to the original finder and editor of the artwork in question. They worked on it, therefore they get credit for doing such. They aren't getting credit so much for finding it as they are getting credit for scanning it, editing it, uploading it to their space for public consumption.

When you work on a page, an image, an artwork, a design, even editing images to include a watermark...it is your work and you get the credit. Finding a story that someone else writes is not your work. It's finding a webpage, and though we CAN give you thanks, we are not required to bow to you because you follow a forum rule.
    edited June 2004
    This situation is much like that of Archaeology. The Archaeologist may discover the bones/remains/ artifacts but often times its the crew that ends up excavating and doing all the grunt work.

Perhaps I use the term 'credit' too liberally. Regardless of the recent rules that you just passed, the amount of work the staff does, etc etc... I still believe the person who actually scopes out the news should be given a nod at the very least. No one is saying that you need bow to whomever discovers the news, but recognition is warranted, no mattter how much coding and editing the staff has to put up with.

Also, by the way you took the trouble to capitalize the word 'hired' I assume that you get paid. But I could have sworn that you mentioned thst the staff volunteers to do this work. Seems to be a big difference unless Rpgamer is of the opinion that only Admins need paying.
    edited June 2004
    If we got paid do you think we would have such a high turnover rate as well as a site that hasn't been redesigned in years?

They are capitalized because I am grateful from the second I was hired on. I am grateful every update I get to have a hand in or quite simply do. I got to go to E3, and all because of the job I was hired for. I am most certainly grateful for even being able to work here, much less have my name associated with a portion of the site like fan art or forums. I would not even need credit for doing all of it, but we require it.

If you find a URL, I believe you should be thanked in some fashion. You should not be credited like you wrote the story with the person. We're asking for your help, just like donations. With it we'll survive and have more news for everyone. Without it, we'll keep doing our job and keep trying to improve. We would like EVERYONE to know news, not just people in this forum.

If you assist us and follow rules for us, you will be thanked as best I can do. All I have control over is these forums, and put frankly: People are hacking some in news/media people off by posting news here and insulting us when we aren't the first. We do not need more people getting fed up and walking out. So to stop this from possibly happening I will simply request that you do not post news here, you send it to our staff members in some way.

The news/media guys will decide what you deserve in terms of recognition. That's their area. I can only speak for me and ask you guys to respect staff members' whishes while on the board.

So to make 100% clear: no one here gets paid for their job. Not Mikel, not Amish, not Castomel, not Alethea, not me. We work on volunteerism. We give our time when we have it and every hour we work is for free. I have never been paid for my job here.
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    hello.
    Maybe RPGamer should have a deep look at this website:

***link removed***

These independant developers are making a nice RPG for Game Boy Advance. According to the information posted somewhere on their forum they are discussing with Ubi Soft to publish the game before the end of the year.

It looks like a very neat rpg.

Edit: While we welcome new discoveries, we cannot allow every independant game to come here to ask for coverage. When this game gets official publishing, let us know. Until then, it is simply an advertisement post. You may keep the link in your signature, but please do not post it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    1. That game looks like poop.

2. You don't by chance work for Blossom Soft do you?
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ June 18 2004,02:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2. ?You don't by chance work for Blossom Soft do you?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would like to work on a game but I don't have any skills or talents... I'm just one of their regular visitor. I chat from time to time on their forum and I talk with the guy who started blossom soft. I try to encourage them when I have the chance to do it.

edited June 2004
    Hes the head of development! Get him! Hes trying to steal our jobs. I mean advertising space.
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BlackThirteen @ June 18 2004,02:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Edit: While we welcome new discoveries, we cannot allow every independant game to come here to ask for coverage. When this game gets official publishing, let us know. Until then, it is simply an advertisement post. You may keep the link in your signature, but please do not post it here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ok I'm sorry. I simply noticed this thread and I thought it was an adequate place to share this information.