If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Blizzard

SilentwolfSilentwolf Only SilenceFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
Ok guys, who plays any Blizzard games? The main ones I refer to are titles in Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo worlds. I personally own Starcraft (and I want brood wars), Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 and Diablo 1 and 2. I love Blizzard for the games they make, and admire the games I own from them. How about you, what do you think of Blizzard and what do you own from them?
Every sailor knows the tale
of those becalmed at sea
though at peace they can be found
at peace they never be.

Comments

• MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Well ... I liked the Warcrafts, really liked Starcraft and loved both diablos.

But as good as the "normal" games were, as bad were the updates that blizzard did.
    Broodwar totally changed the balance between the races from nearly perfect to #### and most of the diablo2 patches did the same.
    The biggest fun about D2 was that you could always go on looking for the "perfect" weapon and to reach lvl99 (or in D1 lvl50) was almost impossible. And then blizzard invented Lord of Destruction: Best items were now uniques, so point 1 was gone and point 2 was eliminated in the same move: everyone could now reach lvl99 and they didn't even have to put halfe the time into the character you needed to become lvl90 in normal D2.
    I'm hoping that the first big patches won't come too early in D3
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    I enjoyed:
    <ul>
    [*]Warcraft 1, 2, 2x, 3, 3x
    [*]Starcraft 1, 1x
    [*]Diablo 2,2x [didn't play D1] tounge.gif
    [/list]

I look forward to World of Warcraft and Starcraft: Ghost

These are games types like nothing that Blizzard had made in the pass and i have high expectations biggrin.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Best Blizzard game ever = Lost Vikings.

Bow down.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    While Blizzards FMV have always been quite impressive (Battle on the Amerigo and the D2 into are both beautiful), the actual games always left me wanting. Warcraft and Starcraft are well made examples of the typical, strategy-not-required RTS genre. And Diablo...well, between the you need luck to get anything EQ system, and blizzards habit of questionable changes in patches, I've never seen the attraction. D2X 1.10 was really bad for this - it practically made it so that top notch super-equipment was required to survive in the higher difficulties, and if you're not playing battle.net, you'll never see that stuff.

All I can imagine is that Blizzard really belongs in the MMORPG genre, since every game they make is practically multiplayer only anyway.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I prefer the Brood War intro, myself, but Amerigo did indeed rock in classic Aliens style.

So far, I dig the 'crafts. ?Wars 1-3 and Star, that is. ?They're not my favorite strategy games, but damned if they don't jam a surprising amount of personality and story into their games. ?Keyword being 'so far', of course. ?Starcraft: Ghost may change that, as may World of Warcraft, and they may not.

My only real problem with Blizzard is their annoying lack of inclination (or perhaps lack of ability) to actually finish a story - Starcraft, in particular, left quite a few loose ends laying about, and Warcraft looks to do the same (which may be excusable given World of Warcraft, but I retain my skepticism.)

Regardless, I likes me teh Blizzard. ?But I don't think they'll ever fill the void in my soul left by Westwood Studios. ?*wistful sigh*
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Yea the intro to Broodwar was awesome.

But one of my favorite's is the "I love you Sarge!!!" one ;P
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I've played most of their games way too much.

There was a time when I spent 10-15 hours per day playing Diablo 2, even though I was going to school. I've had thousands of hours of fun with the Warcraft and Starcraft series as well, mostly through LAN parties and such.

Sure, their games are great... or should I say, were great. I didn't like Warcraft III at all, and I'm not interested in MMORPG's at all, so WoW isn't for me.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Played tons of hours of Diablo2 (around 300-400hours total) and about 200 hours of Starcraft. Don't like Warcraft, but I'm definitely waiting for WoW. It will be the MMORPG.
  • Ember DrakeEmber Drake New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I don't know how many hours of game play I have logged into Diablo 2 LOD. I have had over a couple years 5 total accounts with about 3 of them full of non-mule characters, all around level 80 and with really good gear. I don't play as much as I used to now, mostly because of all the hacks out.
    sad.gif

I never played Star Craft, but I have played War Craft II and III. I don't really like III but I thought II was great.

tounge.gif The Lost Vikings were fun, as well as Rock and Roll Racing.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Blizzard definetly knows how to create a good game, thats for sure. Lost Vikings was great, and challenging. I hope SC:Ghost is decent, a close up view of the star craft world sounds good to me.

~Z
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Diablo 1 was fantastic, the game that got me into RPGs in the first place. Hats off to Blizzard! biggrin.gif
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Amen Foxy! Diablo 1 didn't get me into RPGs though, I was in before then, but Hats off to Blizzard, as one of my favourite companies.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I enjoyed Starcraft, Warcraft 2,3 and all the addons. I can?t say that the balancing was gone..

I think this little changes cannnot turn a great game into a bad game..

I enjoyed Diablo1 the most, but like I already said, Diablo2 did not satisfy me:

No atmosphere
    More and more Hack n Slay

The thing is: In Diablo1, the story included that under the village and the church there HAD to be enemies everythere. So I understood that.
    But in Diablo2.. well it looks like that ALL THE EARTH is filled with Enemies!! And this does not create any atmosphere to me.
  • DeshrillDeshrill Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I have to say, out of all the Blizzard games, Starcraft is my favorite. ?The plot in the single player game is really great, as is the voice-acting.

I love the Warcraft series, but the Warcraft III was a dissapointment because too much of the plot turned into a "find 3 pieces of the Magic Artifact so we can kill the Evil Boss Monster" formula. ?I did like the addition of heroes to Warcraft III and having them level up, that was a nice touch.

The Diablo series... ?They are really fun and easy to get into, but ultimately get tedious from the repetitive clicking the mouse battle system. ?I wish the Quests had more of a plot to them (or if the Quests would all flow together and have a more cohesive story).

If you're thinking of old-school Blizzard games, I really enjoyed The Lost Vikings, Rock n Roll Racing, and Blackthorne. ?I played those ones in middle school all the time.

World of Warcraft looks interesting... ?The gameplay looks sort of like Diablo meets Warcraft III (more specifically, like the Warcraft III expansion's 'Orc RPG' side campaign'). ?I couldn't sign into the beta because my computer is just below the existing system requirements. ?sad.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    I like blizzards strategy games and WC3's mix of rpg/strat, but i really dont like diablo at all... im not a big fan of hack and slash and well, this is the king of them. Ive been into warcraft since i borrowed wc2 many moons ago, then we got sc then got wc3, then i bought sc w/ bw as the original sc was dad's then got tft shorty after that, now, i hope that made some sense to some one other than me, also, my first post so hi to everyone
  • AkumadaAkumada Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne was incredible in my opinion, the only thing disappointing was that "<span class="spoiler">Illidan went down so quickly in the final battle with Arthas.</span>"

ss03.jpg

I mean come on, he's at least as cool as Sephiroth. "<span class="spoiler">You'd think such a character wouldn't go down in one fluke blow from Arthas sword, he didn't even transform. ?Still it didn't actually show him die just mortally wounded so there's a good chance he will be back. ?I sure hope so. ?And that final moment when Arthas plunges Frostmourne into the Lich King.</span>" ?I think the single player campaign of WC3 doesn't get enough credit. ?It's well worth it even if you don't plan to play multiplayer IMO. ?The Orc bonus campaign in WC3 was a bit weak combat wise, just wading through low levels mostly, but still fun because it has Thrall and the horde.

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Well, it's a good thing I have no intention of playing that game ever, else I'd probably be kinda mad that you just spoiled the whole story.
  • AkumadaAkumada Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, it's a good thing I have no intention of playing that game ever, else I'd probably be kinda mad that you just spoiled the whole story.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Point taken that was clumsy and thoughtless, that ending was spoiled for me before I played through it, I just edited it. Though I hardly spoiled the whole story. wink.gif
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I've been buying pretty much every Blizzard game from WarCraft 2 on. I'm not good enough to really compete on battle.net, but I can certainly appreciate the incredible craftsmanship and production values Blizzard lavishes on all of their titles. They're my second favorite development house, and every new title they release is better than the last. I got more fun out of Frozen Throne than I have in a lot of full-price, stand-alone titles I've purchased in the past. There's something mesmerizing about Blizzard's fusion of gameplay and art; it's hard to dislike being treated to a work like "<span class="spoiler">The Death of Hellscream</span>" or "<span class="spoiler">The Ascension</span>" after an intense, satisfying session of gameplay. Only Blizzard seems able to deliver that sort of experience.