If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What shall I get?

hyrule herohyrule hero MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
I want an online muliplayer fantasy rpg but don't know many good ones. Help??

Comments

• LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    I would go with Shadowbane. Or wait for WoW.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    what is WoW?
  • KensikoKensiko Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    'Tis World of Warcraft friend.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Online.... check Multiplayer.....check Fantasy.......check Rpg.......check OK, just making sure, Final Fantasy XI. Go for it, it rocks.
  • Sephiroth KnightSephiroth Knight New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    since im such a final fantasy and early fabulous SQUARESOFT games nut, i suggest anything like final fantasy and secret of mana.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The best MMORPG on the market right now is FFXI, in my opinion. I've also played Asheron's Call 1 and 2, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, and Star Wars Galaxies, but... I don't recommend any of them. Actually, I don't really think FFXI is too hot either. Here's to hoping Blizzard can save the genre with WoW.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Jan. 10 2004,22:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The best MMORPG on the market right now is FFXI, in my opinion. ?I've also played Asheron's Call 1 and 2, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, and Star Wars Galaxies, but... I don't recommend any of them. ?Actually, I don't really think FFXI is too hot either. ?Here's to hoping Blizzard can save the genre with WoW.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now I have always liked Westwood (RIP:() better than Blizzard but I respect Blizzard on how they keep up with their games they put out. They always update them and come out with new ideas. I believe they would be the best company for the MMORPG genre of video games.
    edited January 2004
    Jesus Fricking Christ!

The WoW Alpha version was leaked. On Bit torrent there is like 2 million people downloading it. So I looked further into detail about it. So far you can not actually play the game. But people are working on Rogue servers for this game. I give it less than a month before this game is actually playable. Kind of reminds me when War 3 came out.

So far they only found a way in which you can make your character and run around. YOu can not fight anybody or see other players. You can only see the terrain.

This should be big news. Especially if Blizzard decides to put off the release date of this game.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The blizzard guys must be furious. ?This is the kind of thing that gets people fired.

Though, why on earth you'd want to play a leaked alpha of WoW is beyond me. ?My understanding is that WoW basic gameplay is just run of the mill MMORPGness, and the main attraction the game has is the volume of quests to be found. ?Keeps it as 'I've got seven quests to do, what would be fun' instead of 'Five more levels and I can finally do a quest, guess I need to go slaughter more rabbits for a while.' ?Obviously, a rogue server wouldn't have these - which should pretty much mean a rogue server is the equivalent of a chocolate-free hershey bar. ?All the good stuff taken out.

edited January 2004
    Blizzard will be excepting sign ups for beta testers at the end of this month. Regardless of the leaked alpha. They said it was one of the elite beta testers that leaked it. Although you could not play the game and a rogue server would prolly suck. It would be cool to see the graphics and hear music and just explore a lil.
  • codebreakcodebreak Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now I have always liked Westwood (RIP:() better than Blizzard [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You do know that Westwood doesn't exist anymore and was gobbled up and swallowed by EA right? I've been playing FFXI for about two months so far and the experience is pretty average for me. I'ts not really great nor is it bad, just kinda lukeworm. I do agree that it is better than the other MMORPG's that are out there right now. That is if you don't like PvP or PKing. Although there is supposedly plans on PvP. FFXI is still the best MMORPG out on the market right now though IMO.

The thing I like most about it is the cool major cities in the game and some of the environments. I thought Jeuno was the coolest place ever when I first saw it.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You do know that Westwood doesn't exist anymore and was gobbled up and swallowed by EA right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> ?

Yes that is why there is a RIP and then a sad.gif after Westwood.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"FFXI is still the best MMORPG out on the market right now though IMO.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I do not understand how this could be with out PvP. ?Why even have an MMORPG if there is not any PvP? ?One of the reasons why I stopped playing Earth and Beyond.

• KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    FF survived the jump to MMORPG, and Blizzard already has a strong online-based community via Battle.net, so I think World of Warcraft is a safe bet. ?The fanboy in me tells me that WoW just might save my soul. ?Maybe. ?Hopefully smile.gif

The one I cut my teeth on was a text-based MMO called Gemstone III. ?If you can get past the lack of graphics, it's got some solid gameplay and lots of actual role-playing, though the economy is kind of out of whack and they're in the middle of some huge changes to the system. ?Least there's no charge for software.

In any case, for the time being FFXI suits me just fine, though just getting the game working was something of an endurance trial ?tounge.gif
  • PaladinKingPaladinKing New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well, i've always been a warcraft fanatic, but for some reason have a really bad feeling about WoW. You could definitely do yourself well by picking up DAoC (dark age of camelot)...which I own and love. You could also save your money for the next big mmorpg that'll be hitting called uxo (ultima x odyssey). it looks great so far. so the choice is urs my friend, the choice is yours..... tounge.gif
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    DAoC is pretty much my least favorite MMORPG, ever. Of course, I played it closer to its launch two years ago, so maybe Mythic's gotten better about lying through their teeth to their paying customers since then. Still, I'm gonna think twice before I ever give one of their games a look again.

Blizzard, on the other hand, inspires nothing but confidence in me. They know how to make a good game, not something designed for the express purpose of stringing along "players" to extract the maximum possible subscription fees from them.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Tibia is a free MMORPG but you can pay to get more benefits. I play on the Libera server and if you'd like to play the game go to that server and I may be able to help you out a little. Though, Libera has been suffering from lag and kicks. The first part of the game is boring. You are placed on an island called Rookgaard (and yes that is how it's spelled) and you can not leave until you are level 8 and you choose a vocation. Here you can learn about Tibia, and if you wish to play PM me and I will perhaps offer some guidance.
  • RomeasRomeas Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ultima Online is also another option...maybe not the best options in everyone's eyes, but an option.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Romeas @ Jan. 17 2004,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ultima Online is also another option...maybe not the best options in everyone's eyes, but an option.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey PVT me if anyone wants to play ultima online PRE renaisance(before there was a Fellucca).

This is great it is the old Ultima online I grew up with. PVT if you wanna experience it with me again.