If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic (PC)

MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I'm thinking of getting KotOR in the next few days, but I've been reading on the boards in other sites that this game has lots and lots of issues regarding Processors and Video Cards, plus some issues on the way it uses D&D 3rd edition rules. Anyway my PC specs:

Intel P4 2.4 GHz
256MB DDRAM
GeForce4 MX-440 128MB
80GB Seagate 7200

So.... how well do you think this game will run on my PC. I hear this game is a RAM hog, and desktop crashing from RAM dumps seem pretty common even with the patch.

And before you think of saying it: NO, I don't have an XBOX.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2003
    I've got a gig of ram, and a ti4600 and it's even a tad on the choppy side for me even on the lowest resolution with no AA or AF on. There's no way that I discovered to lower the draw distance, so yes, the game does chug ram like me at a kegger. If you want my advice, pick up the game, despite the fact that you WILL have performance problems (how major is anyone's guess - you should really consider grabbing soem more ram). If you are in the slightest bit a Star Wars fan, KOTOR is so beyond worth it to play that it's not even funny.

Tip if you decide to get it: Play light side first. Not only will you miss out on some BIG things if you play 100% dark, some of the stuff you do on the dark side is so fun (if a little disturbing) that it will totally ruin redoing them as a goody-goody on a second playthrough. smile.gif
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Supposedly the patches will fix some issues reagrding this game on the MX-440 (Radeon 9200 and beyond is a bit too expensive for me sad.gif ), but my Cable might be in for some reconnections since my PC will be moved, so.... nyah.
  • peloipeloi Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    MeoTwister5 - your machine should for more parts of the game but may get slow down when things get busy, more ram should help, also decent $50 gfx should also help.

LiQuid! - have you tried different gfx drivers?
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    My GPU's drivers are always current. I wouldn't try downgraded drivers for the sake of one game when I play many at a time.
    edited December 2003
    Despite what some players say, the newest drivers are not always the best.
    edited December 2003
    I kicked up the processsor up to 2.66 to compensate, and I'll probably put the graphic settings to medium so the game can run fine.

I already have the game sitting in my room, but the PC isn't due to arrive until about 2 days from now. sad.gif
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'll simply add that my PC has not seen a better RPG since Neverwinter Nights and let you draw from that as you will. wink.gif
    edited December 2003
    I didn't like NWN, since I personally think it was a Baldur's Gate clone, minus the story, with the single player mode as the tack-on to the multiplayer.

Oh yeah, when I choose my Jedi class, should I go specialized (Guardian or Consular) or the balance (Sentinel)? People tell me Sentinel is near worthless with the limited efats and skills they get.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Neverwinter Nights was made by the same people who made Baldurs Gate. I perosonally loved the story. You had to talk to people to get it. I played the full thing with hardly any breaks to stop.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    I personally like guardian, since I usually feel it's my duty to jump in and mix it up as best I can, plus I never had problems running out of Force, even with my dark side character who I liked to shoot lightning and use kill and plagues a lot with. I kind of shot through the game quick with light side (I did it after dark, so it didn't feel as fun) so I didn't bother experimenting with a different class.
    edited December 2003
    Neverwinter Nights is good game, there some really cool mods for it as well.
  • Wes_TyrantWes_Tyrant Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    A few things:

1. It uses the Star Wars D20 Rules, which while based on the D&D system, is not the D&D System. D20 is a public form of game play, using a D20 for your major rolls, just because it says D20 doesn't mean it's D&D...lots, and lots, and lots of differences.

2. I would almost refuse to get this game for 1 reason...Lack of Multiplay. I like the game dont get me wrong, I like every aspect of it, except that.

3. It's fun and if you have the 50 bucks kicking around, get it.

4. My friend runs this game on his beat ass duron, 800 with a ATI Ray. 8500, if he can run it you can run it.

• Options
    edited December 2003
    What would you possibly do multiplayer in KOTOR? Swoop racing and Pazaak? Those aren't even fun to play single player. smile.gif
    edited January 2004
    Bah. The day I get to play KoToR is the day my LAN card fries. Took 5 days for that damn ISP crew to arrive and fix it...

Anyway, I've just gotten all the star maps, and I'm 25 hours in on Level 18. Anything else I should do before going to the unknown planet.
  • DeshrillDeshrill Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    You know...

I really, really want to play KOTOR, but my PC is too slow and I don't wanna get an X-Box.

When I save up $$ to buy my next PC, I'll have to play it because I have been waiting for a Star Wars RPG since middle school.
  • DiseasedDiseased New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    What I've heard, the game is pretty good. You could download a ware and test if it works with that? Then buy the game.
  • DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I just want to add my opinion of Kotor.

First of all it should run decent on your machine, I?ve got
    AMD 1700
    Gf4 ti 4800

and it runs quite well, the game?s graphics aren?t spectacular.

I have to mention the way bioware was able to stretch the time to complete the game. It IS annoying that they simply copied and pasted whole areas, rooms and characters, this is getting boring. You?ll walk arround the planet think: "Well dude I think I saw that before, didn?t I"
    And I hate this. "Well why not double the enemies.. that makes 500 hours to complete?!" This is ridiculous! The problem is not that you migh?t be bored playing it for the first time, but you won?t definatly be playing it again.

I think Gothic2 beats Kotor, because it gives you much more freedom and interactivity. And though its one year older, the graphics are still better.

Thats it from me.
    edited February 2004
    Gothic is good but crap/dated interface brings down, KOTOR is best rpg to date, more please.
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The best thing about KOTOR is the story, and the dialogue, are extremely well written, not something you get in conventional games by any means.

Plus, its a great game. The system is basically the same as BG2, you can't help noticing the similarities...

(Oh btw pick Jedi Consular smile.gif)
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    I completed this game last week sometime and i can say that it was amazing from start to finish, and all the twists and turns are quite refreshing for a pc rpg, also good looking for a bioware game, pity the fmv quailty was low... but cant say much about tech problems as it was stable on my high end system
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Hmm... this is an impressive title. However, the sideuests sort of took over all too much (well, this often happens in Bioware games), and I sort of forgot about the real plot a few times. It was also a bit too predictable.

The ending was also more mediocre than I could ever have guessed. I expected something more than that.

Otherwise... great music, wonderful sidequests, lots to do and interesting - but monotonous - lightsaber-battles.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Yeah those lightsaber battles got annoying after a while...but what about that plot twist? Man I didn't see that coming...**no spoilers**
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TheFox @ Feb. 23 2004,18:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah those lightsaber battles got annoying after a while...but what about that plot twist? Man I didn't see that coming...**no spoilers**[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Heh, I did. It wasn't that obvious... but after a while, after everyone "<span class="spoiler">around you constantly had been acting so mysteriously, talking about how special you were etc, I wasn't exactly surprised when the game told me what was going on. </span>"
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.