The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

DS Vs. PSP

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I think you're vastly overestimating the viability of the thing as a media player. Sony's library, as extensive as it might be, is still going to be in direct competition with DVDs. People who bought PS2s so they'd have a DVD player did so with the knowledge that DVD was an established and standard format. The PSP doesn't have that advantage, and in fact the viability of it's format is going to be crippled by those same users. People will go to buy a movie, and end up choosing between buying it on DVD or PSP - and PSP isn't going to come out on top. People don't buy movies for their portably system when they've got a large, expensive home theatre.
  • Ranger1138Ranger1138 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I see your point. I don't think, however, that the UMD will ever replace DVD.. or seriously compete with it for that matter. I believe Sony will market it as an alternative format. Sort of like the way they tried to do with the Mini Disc. And the GBA will now be able to play 90 minutes of full motion video but I don't believe anyone at the major studios is worried about that making any market impact. Sony, on the other hand, could sway other traditional media companies to climb on board if the install base grows to the point Sony says it will.

The 1.8 gig limatations of the optical disc means that the UMD can not compete with the 4.7+ gigs on a DVD. The unit's output is said to be stereo and there has been no mention so far of 5.1 support. But again.. it's a portable player.

Sony also claims that the UMD is a "ROM Only" format. While that may be true the Sony Memory Stick is gaining size. It's possible that it could catch up to Flash Cards. Or the USB 2.0 connection could link up to a Flash card. At any rate the system has many possibilities.

And we all will have to move on to the successor to DVD if we want to have High Def quality video. Sony hopes to win that standard as well with their Blue Ray format. In fact I expect the PS3 to support Blue Ray as a means to gaining the upper hand in the HDTV Video format wars.

The thing that scares me time and time again is Sony's deep belief in it's "ten year plan". A company that big, with that much money and a plan for global domination is hard to ignore.
  • ~BlacMajik~~BlacMajik~ Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    DS by far~

DS +

Touch Screen*
    2 Screens
    Wireless 100ft radius Multiplayer*
    Wireless/Free Wi-Fi(internet)*
    Decent enough graphics*
    Sound recognition
    Clam-Shel design*
    Wireless game sharing
    Inexpensive*
    100+ Developers already have dev Kits~
    Backlit
    Backwards compatible*

DS -

Clunky squarish shape
    Graphics arent the sharpist
    SD Cards only hold about 1Gb(compared to the UMD's 1.5GB)

PSP +
    Graphics
    Slick and Sexy Design
    Analouge stick
    Wi-Fi(wireless internet)
    1.5GB storage space on UMD
    Will be able to play movies and Music

PSP -
    Expensive
    No cover for screen
    Low battery life(2h-Movies, 10h Music, somwhere inbitween for games)

The Movie function is completly useless for me, as im not going
    to buy all my favorite movies twice, just so i can watch them on
    a inferior screen that has to be plugged into a wall every 2
    hours.

The Graphics although good, arent really that big of a thing for
    me as i am a strong beleiver that Gameplay is far better then
    Graphics. So i will have to wait and see what PSP developers
    deliver in this Department.

I can see why Sony went to a disk format, as it allows for much
    for information storage. But the drawback is a major one, as the
    PSP's battery life will be drained 60+% because of it.

All in all its the battery life and Cost that make the PSP the
    infereor system for me. If the recharger for the PSP is similar to
    the GBASP, then you will play for 3hours, charge for 3.5 hours
    and it just wont seem like a handheld. If i wanted something with
    PS2 graphics, and could play movies i would simply get the PS2
    as it is cheaper, and no doubt be plugged into the wall just as
    much.
    edited May 2004
    Here's a good GS article that has some relevence to our discussions.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/18/news_6098708.html
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited May 2004
    About the whole PSP battery life issue i just read this at the X-play site. "Powering the PSP is a 1,800 mAh lithium-ion battery. Sony claims the battery fuels two and a half hours of video playback, eight hours of gaming, or 10 hours of music. Though the final performance may vary, these early claims fall short of the 10 hours of gaming provided by the Game Boy Advance. That's not bad, however, considering the PSP's larger display. " I guess i could live with 8 hours of gaming. Its not the best but its allright.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2004
    While I love the number 8 as much as the next Discordian, I think it's soulless and wrong of gamers to not demand more play time out of a handheld.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • edited May 2004
    I only get about 7-8 hours on my SP and I haven't had any problems with it, other than it running out of juice once during FF:CC, but that was my fault because I didn't charge it the night before and I knew it was low juice. I have yet to have a instance where I've needed to play it for more than 8 hours in a row without being able to hit a charger. I could definately live with 8 hours on the PSP.
  • AshtonAshton New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    For me right now, I'm leaning towards getting neither. I mean, the way I see it is such:

DS - Where are the games, Nintendo? Where are the games?

PSP - Wow, lots of ports of awesome games. Where are the new ones? Death Jr.? Come on, you guys can do better than that.

edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashton @ May 21 2004,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"For me right now, I'm leaning towards getting neither. I mean, the way I see it is such:

DS - Where are the games, Nintendo? Where are the games?

PSP - Wow, lots of ports of awesome games. Where are the new ones? Death Jr.? Come on, you guys can do better than that.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    no new games?
    What about the new metal gear and Makai wars?
    ....Im sure there are some more new ones...ok maybe you have a point.
    edited May 2004
    True, there's MGS. But what's with the card system? Developers these days think they can append a card system to a game, release it, and they'll have a hit. I fail to see how MGS can utilize a *&^)ing CARD system. It's inconcievable.
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Combat may involve papercuts.

edited May 2004
    Or it may involve me not getting the game. EIther way, I win.

Don't get me wrong, the PSP looks sexy (as opposed to the DS which looks horrid), but I don't want another gadget cluttering my room, unused. That'll just be another $300 down the toilet.

edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashton @ May 21 2004,18:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Or it may involve me not getting the game. EIther way, I win.

Don't get me wrong, the PSP looks sexy (as opposed to the DS which looks horrid), but I don't want another gadget cluttering my room, unused. That'll just be another $300 down the toilet.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ohh thanks for the reminder. I forgot to mention that the DS will undergo a facelift before its release. If you noticed the model on the E3 show floor didnt even have a place to hold the stylus, it was just a prototype. Im guessing after nintendo saw the PSP they're going to make sure that the DS is as sexy as can be when its released. Good news for all!
    -my source:IGN.com

edited May 2004
    Of course, this may change. I was convinced I wouldn't get an SP but I went and plunked down $90 on one anyway (DAMN YOU, NINTENDO!). We'll see though. Nintendo has a penchant for enticing gamers to buy their overpriced but still alluring handheld systems.
  • edited May 2004
    You think $100 for an SP is overpriced? Man, I've gotten way more hours of enjoyment out of that thing than I have my Cube and PS2 combined.
    edited May 2004
    Well, you see, I DID have a GBA to begin with, and the backlight and folding screen were enough to make me go "OH HAIL THEE NINTENDO" and buy the SP.
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    just as i did for the gba i wont get excited about either of these two system's game's until they announce some way to play them at home on the big screen.i cant stand playing games on a small little screen.im on my gamecube all the time since i got the gameboy player.
    edited May 2004
    I am so with you on the Game Boy Player. It made up 60% of the reason for me buying a Cube. Then a year later I was thankful I had one as I spent way too much time with that Zelda Comp disc at Xmas.

My real issue is that the big N is going on a big push to sell that classic NES SP when they plan on dropping the DS in six, or so it is said by Nintendo, months. How many times can you re-package something before you burn out the core fan base? Probably more than the number of licks than it would take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop but I digress. :]
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 21 2004,12:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I only get about 7-8 hours on my SP and I haven't had any problems with it, other than it running out of juice once during FF:CC, but that was my fault because I didn't charge it the night before and I knew it was low juice. ?I have yet to have a instance where I've needed to play it for more than 8 hours in a row without being able to hit a charger. ?I could definately live with 8 hours on the PSP.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Straight from Nintendo:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How long does the rechargeable battery last before it needs to be charged again?

With the Front Light Screen operational, battery life is approximately 10 hours, and 18 hours with the light turned off. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

While I realize the word approximate is there, I think your seven to eight hour figure is a little too lowball.

True, most gamers won't need to play it for more than eight hours straight. But, the troubling battery life numbers mean PSP owners will be charging their units more frequently than SP owners did. That also means their PSP batteries will degrade faster, which means they'll need to buy replacement batteries sooner / more frequently and knowing the big S, those won't be cheap.

Sony can do better.

Five tons of Neo Geo Pocket Colors,
    Davis

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashton @ May 21 2004,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"DS - Where are the games, Nintendo? Where are the games?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually being played by people at E3. You know, unlike the PSP, which pretty much just had video demos of games (insert Final Fantasy joke here).
  • edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ May 23 2004,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think your seven to eight hour figure is a little too lowball.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I use a flash card with my SP hardware 90% of the time I use it, and the ram in it sucks juice from the SP's battery.
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I read the tech demos when they were first released on GBA SP battery life. Here's a more clear definition of what is meant by "approximately."

First of all, the tests left the system on and sitting there. Now the actual game processing admittedly does not take much more energy, so that is minimal.

What does count, however, is turning the system on and off. Booting up the system actually takes a small power jolt which can drain the battery more quickly than if it was left on. Turning the light on and off can also put a bit of drain on the battery.

Finally, as anyone call tell you who has a Lithium battery in their cell phone, if you do not let the battery fully discharge and/or you do not let it fully discharge, it has an effect on battery life as well. Very likely, in a few years, there will be several of us who will indeed need new SP batteries.
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    As for DS v. PSP, I'm so getting both, regardless of battery life.

I've had a Palm Pilot in the past, but it never really took advantage of the touch screen for a new way to play games. It more or less pretended to be a mouse. The Nintendo DS is going to do some very clever stuff. Also, I love the two screens. I love the Wi-fi.

There is a Yu-gi-oh DS video out on the web. I don't know if RPGamer has it. I really don't intend to get the game, but the video is gorgeous. I am very impressed already with the graphical capabilities that some of the third parties have already gotten out of this system. This video looks even better than the Metroid/Mario 64 demos.

As for the PSP.. between Makai Wars, Tales of Eternia, and a wireless multiplayer Twisted Metal (it better have wireless multiplayer support for that game) then I'm definitely in.
  • SafaiaSafaia Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    From what I can see on this post and the evidence from both sides of the party, it looks like both systems are going in the hole during the first part of sales. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite satisfied with my Gameboy SP, it has and still does serve me well. Both systems look to have promise, but with everything still in the "beginning" stages one, both, or neither might surprise us.

Though the surprise may not be a positive one.
  • DarkstarDarkstar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    hmm Ds and PSP for me heh

DK.gif

• AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I am leaning towards the DS. I will admit to Nintendo bias on that one, but there are other factors at play. Nintendo first party games have always been top-notch. Im sure they will be the first out of the gate with an innovative use for the touch screen technology. (Hopefully other developers will make use of the duel screens in a innovative way). ?Its backwards compatable with past GB games. Its finally wireless. And I am hoping that it doesnt go over the $150 mark. (games under the $40 mark would be cool). It does look a little clunky. I have yet to see any of the games in motion so I am sub-consiously(sp) worried about framerate. I am also worried about the touch screen itself. Tapping on the screen several hundred times would have to result in a scratch or dent sometime in the DS's life. (I suppose)

The PSP is a lot prettier (edit: in physical design) than the DS. I am a little adverse to the extras it has attached to it. I am also weary of its battery life. Watching a 2 hour movie on a road trip and having it cut off on me in the middle of a sex scene does not a happy camper make. Im not too impressed with the games either. If GT4 actually looks like it does on the screen shots I would definately buy it.

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 15 2004,04:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I guess 2 to 10 hours could make sense, cause of all the stuff the PSP is going to be able to do. ?The question is how many hours per task. ?That's the answer I want to know before I commit to it. ?If it's getting only 2 hours for video but will still manage ~10 hours for gaming I could live with that.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If it is two hours for video than it stands to reason that gaming will be just as short. ?Gaming does have a video element to it after all. ?If it is doing ten for just video, then it might do less with gaming.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited May 2004
    I have been reading more on the web on this issue. It seems that the reason for the low battery life for video relates to the streaming of the UMD. Think of your PS2. It isn't constantly streaming or running the disc drive to get more information. Well unless your playing something that has a seemless world. Then it streams a lot. But the speed at which the drive has to spin is not as great as the speed of data needed for straight video.

Also..
    None of us are going to get either of these systems if we don't pre order. G4 is reporting that the high demand for cell phones will make obtaining LCDs for Sony and Nintendo dificult at best. There's a rumor going around that EB and Gamestop have a low limit for pre orders as the initial shippment will be low. And that means the initial price will be high.

Nintendo may even have to dip into it's cash reserves to have enough to support R and D on the DS and it's next gen console. They just announced a loss for the year but the big N has plenty of money lying around for just this kind of thing.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ranger1138 @ May 30 2004,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have been reading more on the web on this issue. It seems that the reason for the low battery life for video relates to the streaming of the UMD. Think of your PS2. It isn't constantly streaming or running the disc drive to get more information. Well unless your playing something that has a seemless world. Then it streams a lot. But the speed at which the drive has to spin is not as great as the speed of data needed for straight video.

Also..
    None of us are going to get either of these systems if we don't pre order. G4 is reporting that the high demand for cell phones will make obtaining LCDs for Sony and Nintendo dificult at best. There's a rumor going around that EB and Gamestop have a low limit for pre orders as the initial shippment will be low. And that means the initial price will be high.

Nintendo may even have to dip into it's cash reserves to have enough to support R and D on the DS and it's next gen console. They just announced a loss for the year but the big N has plenty of money lying around for just this kind of thing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Low volume != high price.
    Gamecube were like gold this xmas, as Nintendo really dropped the ball and by mid-December, many retailers in Canada (including a ton of EBs and Wal Marts) were completely sold out.

But more applicable:

Demand !> Supply.

There was a huge demand for GBAs and SPs at launch (moreso for the PS2, which if I recall correctly had problems getting certain electonic parts out of Asia and into Canada, but handhelds are more applicable), and there was always a rumour "because of the light the SP used it was going to be so low, etc etc.

From my experience at EB, I can tell you "Initial shipments are ALWAYS limited". Smaller stores get smaller shipments, bigger stores get bigger shipments, and allocation grows a brain and continually supplies us as the demand requires. That way, you don't send 50 units to both store AB and CD and get AB completely sold out while CD is sitting on 30.

Will there be a cap for preorders? Well, duh! They've done so for every single other system. We had waiting lists at both our EB and the local Microplay for a very, very long time for PS2s when they were first released. Sony could only get over / continually produce so much at a time.

Is the recommendation to preorder a good one? Hells yes. I've preordered my DS; I've encouraged others to do so. I'm choosing not to pick up a PSP at launch, but I've taken preorders for that too.

Finally...No company, including Nintendo, has money 'just lying around to be blown'. Part of releasing a new system *is* the startup costs - and Nintendo's been in the console and handheld market long enough to get a clue, especially during times when nobody was even interested in a home video game system.

Think I'm done now laugh.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Additionally, while I don't have the inside scoop on it, the recommended prices of the companies tend to be stuck to pretty firmly. I can't think of many stores that try to get away with increasing the cost by fifty or a hundred due to the supply. I'm pretty sure the reasoning there is that if word got back to nintendo on that, they would likely get cut off on their supply. The logical risk of such is likely plenty to keep companies from price inflating at launch (that and, as I recall, the recommended price usually allows for a pretty decent profit).

Dracos
This discussion has been closed.