The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Phantasy Star Collection

cj_iwakuracj_iwakura MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Role Playing Games
I've only played one and two so far, but I hear most don't like three, and IV is worshipped.

So far, I'm saying I.

Comments

• ~BlacMajik~~BlacMajik~ Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    In the collection 2 is the best~ But since IV was an option i just had to choose it biggrin.gif
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Of the collection, I'm most fond of Phantasy Star II, but my favorite in the series is Phantasy Star IV (of course).
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2004
    i like 2 than 1 than 4.the first phantasy star was SO ahead of its time when it was released in 1988.i still don't think it gets the proper credit it deserves just for the ground it broke.way better than anything on the nes...great game.
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    PS2 is the best of all 4 Phantasy Stars. It was so far ahead of its time. Its the 1st RPG that had a predominatly sci-fi setting and a dark story. I think that this game provided the inspiration for FF7. It was a launch title however I the graphics were as good as any game created for the Genesis. The soundtrack is underrated. The opening theme song is my favorite tune of the 16-bit era.
  • BashzogBashzog New Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    PS4 is the only in the series that i liked enough to finish, but in the collection PS2 is pretty good.
    edited April 2004
    i'd have to agree with rook.i thought i was the only one who thought that.the soundtrack for phantasy star 2 was always a favorite and its very underated.i have been trying to find a copy on the internet for years, IMPOSSIBLE.
  • Tuxedo MaskTuxedo Mask New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I hope to see PSIV remade in the near future.
  • Ranger1138Ranger1138 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I already had PS2 in the Dreamcast ports. So I had to rely upon emulation for the ability to replay PS1. And PS3? Well it's okay but short by the rest of the series high standards. Plus paying money to save? That was kind of rude. By the way.. pscave.com is a pretty good site for maps on PS1.

PSIV is amazing for it's time. My friends and I saved up some money and dumped a few games to bring down it's original $99 price tag back at the game's launch. We destroyed the game twice in a week and a half [lots of coffee and Kit-Kats died that month]. The game trade at EB was $75 bucks. I was able to pick up two other RPGs on my list with the trade.

Ah memories. .
  • alldayrpgplayaalldayrpgplaya Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I dont believe i've played any of them. I would like to play any of them if that's possible. wow.gif
  • nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    ok....I've got a dumb question...was is PS3 so hated....I kinda liked it................
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ok....I've got a dumb question...was is PS3 so hated....I kinda liked it................[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

i like ps3 also.its very comparable to other rpgs of its time.its not really hated its just that its the worst out of the series.i know i was disappointed when it first came out.after playing ps1 and then ps2 i was excited for another great ps rpg then ps3 came and kinda left me hangin.i think the generational gameplay is the best thing about it.overall a good rpg though.
  • Ranger1138Ranger1138 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Some reviewers back in the day felt that the four stories were not diferent enough to truly be worth playing. Some objected to the shortness of the game overall. This comparison was somewhat valid as PS1 and PS2 can take a long amount of time to complete. You can wipe out one generational story pretty quick if you devote the day to it.. and sadly I know that first hand.