If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mario and the greeny guy

Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forumsFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I just got addicted to Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga! The gameplay is really fun! The way each button is used for a character is simple genius! The story is so lighthearted but it's fun to watch and the scenario is kinda cute. Also, the musics make us remember the first Mario for Nes and even some scenarios appears (like before jumping the rope, when you can see a castle scenario from Mario 1 from nes). Is someone here playing it too? What are you thinking so far? smile.gif
PSN ID: MaxDeltree

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think it's easily the best rpg I've played in quite some time. Amazingly enough, nintendo solved the random encounter problem, by making them simple fun. Everything in the game is so interactive you're never bored, and the difficulty is just right.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    God this is crazy, I'm almost done with Fire Emblem, then I'm going to play Mario&Luigi, then Sword of Mana, anf finally FFTA.

Phew, I guess I'll hide in a cave with my GBA.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I need to afford myself a GBA. -_- Tried out this game. It kicks all kinds of ass.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Phew, I guess I'll hide in a cave with my GBA. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hope that's an SP you got yourself there, brother man. laugh.gif
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Its a great RPG, one of the best Iv played honestly. Its funnier than all get up too.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, you have all made up my mind. As soon as I get my paycheck I am going out and buying this game (and Fire Emblem). There just seems to be too much good word of mouth about it.
  • SquishySquishy New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I've spent eighteen hours on it so far...eighteen of the most fun hours I have spent with a rpg in a looooooooong time. I love the control scheme the best, although I do have trouble at times dodging attacks...one of the bros seems to jump instead of the other. But chalk that up to my lack of coordination. oops. smile.gif
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I bought it yesterday as a pat on the back for finally being employed again after three months smile.gif and am having a ball. I'm enjoying this game more than I did either SMRPG or Paper Mario.

When it comes down to it, it's all about pushing the A and B buttons, but each type of monster has different timing for your counterattacks/evades. There are arcade-y mini-games also, that you play to enter the next area....they're pretty fun, and you're not penalized or given a "game over" for screwing them up and having to start over.

I totally suck at defense on new enemies, but a little time and patience has done the trick so far. Can anyone tell me if the difficulty really spikes later on? If so, I will likely have serious, game-stalling problems. sad.gif

If the game has a setback, this would be it for some--the need for quick observation and precise timing, which if you screw up often, will lead to repeated frustrating death. (if you're stubborn like me and refuse to use mushrooms where improved skill would render them unnecessary)
    edited December 2003
    The only real trouble I had was with the final boss, which for some reason seemed 5 times harder then anything else in the entire game. I did manage it after a while, but it will probably take you a few tries.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm most of the way through, after my marathon Fire Emblem sessions finally subsided (over 60 hours from one little GBA cart). It's a fun game with a quirky sense of humor (Prince Peasely cracks me up... so flashy!) and a ton of great Mario nostalgia value. Seriously, I crack a knowing grin every few minutes while I'm playing this. From Super Mario World-style Yoshi fruit to side-scrolling Mario Bros. dungeon sequences to "Tanoombas"... there's a lot for Mario fans to remember. Also, the art is excellent in motion. Still shots just don't do the game justice. My only real complaint is the controls, which seem a bit awkward sometimes. I still need a lot more practice on my Bros. Attacks, in particular. tounge.gif

This is my second best GBA purchase this year, easily.
    edited December 2003
    Im guessing Fire Emblem is your first, Ashgad? I guess I will have to break down and buy that one too.

I cant tell you how much I love this game. It takes the good parts of Paper Mario and ramps it up to 100. I am still laughing at Mario's first apperance in the game. This is a good example of how a simple game is done. It doesnt hold you by the hand too much. It lets you enjoy the gameplay and puzzles and give you a laugh at the right time. I am so glad that Nintendo has continued to bring out games of this calibur. Who says 2D games are dead?
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yay! I'm 8 hours throught the game, in Tehee Valley! This game is just too fun! biggrin.gif
    edited December 2003
    Ok. Dumb question time. What does the 'stach stat susposed to do? Give them bigger mustasches? I kinda assumed that it had something to do with luck or adv. bros. combos.
    edited December 2003
    It's like a charisma stat. It helps to lower the prices in shops. Those shopkeepers can't resist a nice mustache! tounge.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Also increases lucky chance I believe.

Dracos
    edited December 2003
    Finally beat it. 17 hours. I can't say the ending was a deception, as I wasn't expecting something from it. tounge.gif
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited December 2003
    hey just picked it up today and from what everyone is saying i wont be the least bit disapointed. Also, is anyone still playing the classice Mario Bros. game that was included? I hear a lot of people saying that it wore out its welcome two GBA Mario games ago. Whatever. Good game enough said right.

• risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited December 2003
    -I just read the Gamespot.com awards and they voted Mario and Luigi the best GBA game of the year. i have a feeling that they're not the only ones who feel that way.

-two random mario questions:1) is there an all things Mario theread? i cant seem to find one.
    2) Is isle del Fino a part of the Mushroom Kingdom?
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm playing it It's amazing
    Its so fun and addictive everyone who likes mario or rpgs should get it!!
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hey, I'm new here.

Introductions aside, I just finished this game last week, and boy, while it may not be the hardest game ever, it is really fun. There are some great one liners in there (mostly said by Fawful), the animation is fantastic, and for once, in the later parts of the game, I found myself looking for more enemies to fight rather than trying to avoid battles altogether. Easily one of my favorite games released in 2003.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I just started it earlier. It's seems great and it's pretty funny in the beginning...I just hope it holds up to Super Mario RPG.
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Good stuff, though i find the original Mario RPG to be much better.

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araya @ Jan. 20 2004,17:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good stuff, though i find the original Mario RPG to be much better.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I find SMRPG to be a masterpiece. I don't think any game can touch it!
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yea SMRPG was good it even had some diffculity to it like culex he was a pain and took forever to beat but back on topic. Mario&Luigi is so far a great game it reminds me alot of smrpg i think they should have made this the real sequel instead of Paper mario which in thought wasent all that good.
    edited January 2004
    Eh, maybe it's just me but I didn't care for SMRPG. The isometric view didn't help the games playability or immersion any, and just made controls and judging distances like jumps harder then it needed to be. It ended up feeling like a typical squaresoft game with a somewhat mario flourish, and action elements that just didn't work well.
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I have to definitely agree to enjoying <span style='color:red'>M</span>&<span style='color:green'>L</span>.

When I first picked it up (got it for Christmas) I was looking at the graphics and was like, "Darnit, Nintendo's going backwards on this one" and I thought the music, whilst appropriate could have been more polished. ?But then as I started playing I begun to realise that, like always, things aren't always as they seem.

While I still think the graphics could have been just a little more detailed, the animation, like others have stated, is spot on, and the music I feel is more appropriate now given context. ?Gameplay is *wow*. ?Who'd've thought to use the two game buttons to control two main characters like that? ?I actually feel like L and R have a use now!

Okay, and that's it for my not-been-to-RPGamer-in-ages post. ?smile.gif ?<span style='color:red'>M</span>&<span style='color:green'>L</span> is a great game.
  • VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    *shrug*
    Leave it to Nintendo to defy expectations.

Carmine M. Red
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    This game screwed me over big time. i tried to connect with my friend and we played for a bit. but then an error appeared so i shut it off and when i turned it back on my save file was gone!
    edited January 2004
    M&L isn't that great. Most of the time, your either jumping on each others head or spinning around for no reason. It isn't bad, just not as good as some people say. If they did less with the puzzles and more with actual exploration it could've been a great game.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    are there any old characters in the game playable and npc e.g. yoshi, wario?