If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fire Emblem or Mario & Luigi?

2»

Comments

• VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Quentin McLeod @ Nov. 26 2003,02:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"####!!!! the internet messed up and I had written a really long answer! Let's start over.

I have no prob with you guys liking M&L, and I certainly don't think you're stupid for liking it, don't get me wrong.

And Vermillion, I'd really like to know what makes you think I'm prejudgeing this game because it comes from Nintendo, the game was not even made by Nintendo, it was made by a small unknown company called Alpha Dream. I really hate when Nintendo fanboys give Nintendo the honor for every game that comes out on their systems; Nintendo did NOT make Eternal Darkness, Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles, Metroid Prime, Kirby, Baten Kaitos, MGS: Twin SNakes, etc.

I'm not saying you are a fanboy, just that you've got the wrong info.

I admit that M&L could be called an RPG, it's just that I proboably got a really bad start with it, giving me a headache and all.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Oh, I'd just like to add: Are Onimusha and Devil May Cry RPGs? There certainly is a level-up system.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, don't worry. I know that Mario & Luigi isn't developed by Nintendo. I was pondering mentioning that, and that Fire Emblem was the true Nintendo game between the two, but I ultimately left it out. Besides, I didn't even say that Nintendo developed it, I said "Nintendo background."

It was simply strange that you stated:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And if the storyline goes deeper I would'nt know about it, and I doubt it goes any deeper seeing how tremendously "deep" Sunshine or Mansion were.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Especially seeing as you were extending the issue of Mario & Luigi's RPGness (?) to non-rpg games by a different developer.

But anyways, now that I'm cooled down, no hard feelings? I would at least suggest playing Mario & Luigi on something other than a ROM to get a real feeling for the game: I tried playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on a ROM and it was horrible: I am now firmly, illogically convinced that Seiken Densetsu 3 destroyed the Secret of Mana legacy. ROMs are a really horrible way to experience games, in my opinion.

Besides, now that we've agreed that Mario & Luigi is an RPG, I think our biggest problem is where to put Mortal Kombat: Mythologies... what in the heck? Every ten-year old wants an RPG with a fighting game battle system... but this???

Anyways...uh....I am a Nintendo fanboy, so don't worry about it. And as to what us Fanboy's do... we believe that Nintendo's quality control touches many games within it's second-party sphere. For example, even though Silicon Knights developed Eternal Darkness, one can only imagine how horrible the gameplay for that would be if Nintendo hadn't had tried to coach them through it, basically mentoring SK. It's still a Silicon Knights game, but Nintendo seems to take a pro-active approach to their second parties. The same really happened with metroid: Retro had monthly discussions with Miyamoto. I'd be surprised to find that Nintendo didn't collaborate or oversee Alpha Dream for Mario & Luigi.

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

soooo off topic....
  • HarryCareyHarryCarey Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    glad that things've worked out.

mario and luigi is certainly a silly game, and meant for all ages... someone who's 5 or 6 and has a good brain could probably understand it just about as well as a 16 or 26 year old. but, at the same time, i think it has a similar charm for players of just about any age. i call this is the wizard of oz effect; some works of art, such as movies, books, or games, are so good that it doesn't matter what the target audience is. they're simply great.

of course, that's just my opinion... if you think m&l is horrible, you're just as entitled to that thought as i am to thinking it's one of the gba's best offerings. i still have a bit of a way to go though, so maybe it'll take a sudden turn towards the worst for me...
  • Quentin McLeodQuentin McLeod Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Ohh, one more thing before we can give this up, Vermillion, Nintendo did not develop Fire Emblem either, that was Intelligent Systems, so which of them is the "true" Nintendo game? I'd say neither tounge.gif.

M&L is from now on considerad an RPG by me inthe same way I consider Devil May Cry or Onimusha one, an RPG, but not the elite.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"M&L is from now on considerad an RPG by me inthe same way I consider Devil May Cry or Onimusha one, an RPG, but not the elite. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just when you were starting to get less annoying you had to go and talk again... You're forgetting that M&L has quite a traditional level up system. It's as much an RPG as the original Super Mario RPG, or Paper Mario, or hell any of the Final Fantasy games, regardless of how "elite" you think it is... Whereas DMC and Onimusha are straight-up action games with RPG-like elements...
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yes, I don't know why are you saying this. It's not like Mario & Luigi have an zelda-like battle system, or upgrade system. For me the battle system even remember a little of Valkyrie Profile. If you don't consider Valkyrie Profile an "elite" RPG, then you're just a madman that think that RPGs are only the games you like.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    But anyways, now that I'm cooled down, no hard feelings? I would at least suggest playing Mario & Luigi on something other than a ROM to get a real feeling for the game: I tried playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on a ROM and it was horrible: I am now firmly, illogically convinced that Seiken Densetsu 3 destroyed the Secret of Mana legacy. ROMs are a really horrible way to experience games, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

*stares*

*stares*

*collapses dead*

Seiken Densetsu 3 kicked all kinds of ass. Of course, had I not seen it run on a certain crap piece of hardware, I'd never be able to understand this sentiment. Seeing it in emulation though tends not to be that bad if you have a decent setup. I played it with a rather largish monitor, a friend, two sidewinder controllers, and a translation patch. Needless to say I found it the spiffiest thing since thousand point spell combos ^_~. Albeit, I had plenty of fun alone, using the japanese untranslated game and the keyboard as well.

Wah! ;_; I want the actual game. It's a hole in my collection!

Dracos
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I vote you should get fire emblem. But I don't like Mario and Luigi so I'm prejudiced. I find fire emblem more fun and I'm playing it at the moment as well It's a great game.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    MARIO AND LUIGI!!!
    It's a classic