If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Just go buy Fire Emblem

edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
This game kicks all ass. I'm 5 hours in now and it's super fun. A lot like Advance Wars, sure, but there's a real story, and the fantasy setting is nice. The fact that the game saves automatically after every move makes this hands down the best portable tactical game of all time. You can turn the game clean off at any time iduring a battle and turn it back on to the exact spot you left it. If you feel you goofed up really bad or lost a unit you like, you have the option of restarting the battle over from the beginning too.

The game isn't as hard as I'd heard it was. Sure there's the permanent death thing, but it's not a bad thing at all. Like the guy at IGN said, it actually makes you CARE about the units. I don't charge in without thinking long and hard about it. It makes the game feel like a lot more than just a glorified game of rock/paper/scissors. There's an element of urgency and strategy here that I haven't seen in other tactical games.

If the turn-off-anytime feature didn't already make this game kick ass for a handheld game, it's totally fast paced to boot. If you want to play fast and dirty you can turn combat animations off completely and just get the final damage numbers subtracted from your and your enemy's total HP. The text speed is lightning fast too. One of my biggest complaints about games like this is that clicking and waiting through dialogue is so slow, and it's really a problem here. You can honestly jump on this game a do a few rounds of combat in literally a few seconds if you're short on time.

The one thing that I've noticed that isn't totally good is that the game is TOTALLY linear! Sure there's a side quest every now and then, but they are presented before you so you can't really miss them, and when they are done it's back to the main story. Plus there's no way to get additional units other than what is introduced through the plot (other than getting some during side quests, and rarely during map exploration). And no unit development at all aside from level gaining and what weapons you give them. I dunno, but I really don't think I could see myself replaying this, unless it was like a year or more later. There just doesn't seem to be any replay value there at all, but I haven't beaten it yet so I can't say if there are any unlockables or anything. Somehow I highly doubt it. All things considered I like this game a lot more than both of the Advance Wars games, and though it's not really comparable to them FFTA and TO: KOL as well.

Go. Buy now.

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Clicks on the thread.
  • ~BlacMajik~~BlacMajik~ Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I picked this game up a few days ago, and i completly agree this game is awsome. And to point out there is a bit of replay after you beat the game, but mostly only if you are like me and want to complete every little thing in a game. And like you said the complete linear stroy line is boring...i wish it had random battles and a world map. Oh well great game, probly best SRPG on gba, as far as story is concernd at least..
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I agree with everything you said. I can't really explain why I like Fire Emblem so much. I've been playing "tactical RPGs" since Ogre Battle on the SNES, but this one is easily my favorite. While I'm playing Fire Emblem, I'll see things and think "I've seen that before," but then I remember how long Fire Emblem has been around. So it's kind of like I'm playing the original tactical RPG, of which all others are but pale shadows. Or something like that. Like I said, it's a weird feeling, but I like it.

I'm about 15 hours into the game. It's challenging, it has an incredibly strong cast, the story's good (the inclusion of the player in the story is an interesting gimmick), and the art is fantastic. I've lost a few characters along the way, but I still have enough to present a tough choice at the beginning of every mission. Do I take Lowen, with his speed and versatility, or do I take "<span class="spoiler">Wallace</span>", who's practically a mountain in every sense of the word? Also, I absolutely love how there's no "revive" item or spell in this game. I dread losing characters almost as much for their personalities as for their usefulness. That's definitely something that I never felt in, say, Tactics Ogre.

Right now I have two major hopes for the game. The first is that it lasts 30+ hours. The second is that we get more Fire Emblems here in the States. While I'm waiting, though, maybe I should check out Advance Wars... After I've finished helping Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector "<span class="spoiler">stop the Black Fang</span>", of course.
  • edited November 2003
    Glad people agree with me. I haven't been able to put this down since I started playing it.

/me spanks Meo. Bad boardie!
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Ah... damn. I had to cancel one of my preordered games, and I chose this one. It seems like I made a mistake...

Oh well.. if it is as good as you say, I'll probably pick this one up later on anyway.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Dang I want this thing...but I'm so broke....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • HarryCareyHarryCarey Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    mmm... as soon as i (hopefully) get my game store job, i'll buy it. it looks so good, and from what i've heard, it's certainly not a letdown. personally, i wasn't ridicuously fond of ffta, so i'm a little skeptical. of course, we're not talking square enix here...
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HarryCarey @ Nov. 09 2003,14:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"mmm... as soon as i (hopefully) get my game store job, i'll buy it. it looks so good, and from what i've heard, it's certainly not a letdown. personally, i wasn't ridicuously fond of ffta, so i'm a little skeptical. of course, we're not talking square enix here...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    More of a reason why you should buy it. You can not really prejudge an RPG made by nintendo because you disliked something made by square enix.

Or rather prejudge every single game that comes out from now on because of FFTA.
  • lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I just ordered this the other day, I should get my hands on it tomorrow. From what I've played of previous Fire Emblems, and heard of this one, it's probably the best GBA game...
  • edited November 2003
    Well I dunno about the best GBA game, I'd probably give that titles to Wario Ware or SMA 3. But it's damn good. One of the best for sure.
    edited November 2003
    I never bother to count the SNES remakes when I'm making a list of good GBA games ;) Otherwise they'd dominate them. Take LttP, for instance. It's my favorite game of all time, but it seems ridiculous, and a bit redundant, to call it's rerelease my favorite GBA game.
  • edited November 2003
    Wario Ware isn't a remake. On the other hand, Fire Emblem IS a remake, thus you just disqualified it yourself.

Wario Ware owns every other game on every other system of all time. Period.
    edited November 2003
    Wario Ware is pretty keen, but Fire Emblem just secured my personal pick for GBA game o' the year. Well, unless either Mario & Luigi or Sword of Mana is way better than it has any right to be...

Also, I was under the impression that the Fire Emblem released here in the states is a prequel, not a remake.
  • ~BlacMajik~~BlacMajik~ Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    This fire emblem is not a remake but is somewhat a prequal to fire emblem 6, which is also for the gba. Sadly North america never got FE6or any of the others(exept roms/imports). Hopfully FE7 sells well here so we can see others in the future~
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I just got my ass kicked on the third fight...damn this game is great. Reminds me of Shining Force, which is of course a good thing.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Nov. 12 2003,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wario Ware isn't a remake. ?On the other hand, Fire Emblem IS a remake, thus you just disqualified it yourself.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Fire Emblem is NOT a remake...

And I've never played Wario Ware, aside form a few minutes at a demo at Target. It did not impress me.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm currently on "<span class="spoiler">the last level of Eliwood's campaign</span>". The battle in question seems pretty tough, and I did miss a few side quests, one in particular that I'm kicking myself over. Anyway, it seems like a great game. By the way, I have yet to lose a single character. Great game. Now if only Nintendo would release a Fire Emblem 1-5 compilation for the Cube- that would be great. That and releasing FE6 in America.
  • FerenanFerenan New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm really glad to see that so many people like it. I've been playing this series for years in japanese(even with my pretty limited japanese knowledge), and it's always been my favorite RPG type game along with Suikoden. For some reason, I thought the FE gameplay wouldn't appeal as much to NA, but I guess it is. It is really fun, and it's fun pairing up your army characters together to see how they react. Some of the past FE installments, while having worse graphics, had a few very awesome gameplay mechanics that I hope they add back in to later ones. They are kind of right in a weird sense that FE7 is a remake, mostly because they kept almost the exact same battle system as FE6. They added a new character or two, and improved all of the battle animations, and character portraits and made everything look nicer etc..but the battle animations, while looking sleeker, are the exact same as FE6, but FE7 is, from what I know, both longer and has a lot more of diverse levels than FE6. It's just basically a much better version of FE6, and trust me when I say there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And as said, it's a prequel to FE6. It'll be a step backwards in graphics and gameplay if they bring FE6 here, but with so much demand to see what Roy is all about, and the disappointment that many people interested in him didn't get to see this installment..well..I think it would have been smarter for Nintendo to release the worse game first. If they release FE6, people will be glad to see Roy, and unglad to see the FE series taking a step back. WHEW. That's my long winded report. I'de still jump at the chance to buy FE6 if they brought it here since I'm a diehard fan of the series, I just dunno if it's a smart move after bringing the first game here(which virtually everyone seems to really love who's played it), to bring a crappier game in the series over.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (keele864 @ Nov. 29 2003,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm currently on "<span class="spoiler">the last level of Eliwood's campaign</span>". The battle in question seems pretty tough, and I did miss a few side quests, one in particular that I'm kicking myself over. Anyway, it seems like a great game. By the way, I have yet to lose a single character. Great game. Now if only Nintendo would release a Fire Emblem 1-5 compilation for the Cube- that would be great. That and releasing FE6 in America.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am in the EXACT same situation.
  • 1337_Urashima1337_Urashima New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Fire Emblem is Awsome.
    T3H phir3 i5 1337.

/\/uff 54id.
  • adrianchan56adrianchan56 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    dl it first smile.gif.
    edited December 2003
    Best game to come out since before the GBA's launch... people who don't give money for this piece of art disgust me.

• NeonZNeonZ New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    hum.. this game has replay... besides replaying the game with a different team of charachters, because you can't use everyone in a single play, there just isn't enought time, you''l get Hector's quest which has more missions and sidequests... as well as some nice scenes between Lyn and Hector... Another detail that adds replay, IMO, are the support conversations, the greatest tool to charachter devolopment that I've ever seem in a strategy/rpg.

Er... Hi! I'm new here! My user names in other forums are: Perfectz(Game Faqs and Zelda Legends), and Neon Z(FESS[a fire emblem forum])
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I just bought a GBA SP and Fire Emblem today, and Fire Emblem is simply a marvelous, marvelous game. A definite worthwhile purchase.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    This is the stategy game I've been waiting for. Unlike most other tactical RPGs I've played, this one is actually forcing me to use strategy. There are more characters, more enemies, and a lot more space to move around in. Not to mention the weapon and magic triangles and the permanent death thing. Wow this is fun.

I got the game for Christmas and just got around to playing it (Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe, and Sword of Mana have been keeping me mighty busy), and I played through the first 18 chapters without stopping. I'm going to have to put all of my other gaming on hold temporarily so I can finish this one.
    edited January 2004
    I fired up Fire Emblem again tonight, and it looks like I'm going to be starting a fifth campaign soon (having already finished Lyn's tale on Normal and Hard and Eliwood's and Hector's tales on Normal). This game has tons of replay value thanks to its "support" system. Also, it seems I've missed a few recruitable characters and side missions. I think the last console RPG I had any desire to play through this many times was Chrono Trigger.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (knightofhyrule @ Jan. 01 2004,17:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This is the stategy game I've been waiting for. ?Unlike most other tactical RPGs I've played, this one is actually forcing me to use strategy. ?There are more characters, more enemies, and a lot more space to move around in. ?Not to mention the weapon and magic triangles and the permanent death thing. ?Wow this is fun.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I loved Fire Emblem because of the strategy it uses. If you like lots of strategy you should check out Gladius. It has triangles as well. Heavy beats Medium, Medium beats light, and light beats Heavy. I think you would enjoy it as much as I have.
    edited January 2004
    Question: ?What's the trick to beating the final boss? ?I assume there's some trick because it's not possible to confront him directly and survive.

edit: Just to clarify, I'm talking about the "<span class="spoiler">Dragon at the Dragon's Gate.</span>"

edited January 2004
    knightofhyrule:

"<span class="spoiler">The dragon is not actually invincible, it just has about 120 HP, so the game doesn't show its HP as anything but "--" until you've hit it a few times. The only things that can hit it for appreciable damage are Durandal, Armads, and Athos's spells. If you want a neat (and virtually risk free) trick for beating it, read the second spoiler block.</span>"

"<span class="spoiler">Give Athos a Luna book (which will hit the dragon for 30 damage every time). Now run Athos in and attack with Luna, then rescue him with Eliwood or another mounted character and drop him out of the dragon's immediate range (same as a longbow). Now heal Athos up and repeat the process. I don't think the dragon will ever move, but to be safe you might leave someone like Oswin with an Iron Rune (prevents crits) in its range so that it always has someone to hit without moving.</span>"
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Jan. 03 2004,22:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"knightofhyrule:

"<span class="spoiler">The dragon is not actually invincible, it just has about 120 HP, so the game doesn't show its HP as anything but "--" until you've hit it a few times. ?The only things that can hit it for appreciable damage are Durandal, Armads, and Athos's spells. ?If you want a neat (and virtually risk free) trick for beating it, read the second spoiler block.</span>"

"<span class="spoiler">Give Athos a Luna book (which will hit the dragon for 30 damage every time). ?Now run Athos in and attack with Luna, then rescue him with Eliwood or another mounted character and drop him out of the dragon's immediate range (same as a longbow). ?Now heal Athos up and repeat the process. ?I don't think the dragon will ever move, but to be safe you might leave someone like Oswin with an Iron Rune (prevents crits) in its range so that it always has someone to hit without moving.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So I'm supposed to be able to beat it head on? That just... doesn't seem possible. If I attack the thing with Durandal, it does 13 damage, and then Eliwood is completely destroyed on the counterattack (the thing does 37 damage to his 38 HP, then attacks again). How is that possible at all?

Well, thanks, I'll try that strategy.