If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What's Nintendo Up To Now..?

FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon IIFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Important information about the December issue of Nintendo Power.

Dear Nintendo Power subscriber:

There has been a delay with the mailing of Volume 174, December 2003 issue. While this issue normally would have arrived around November 1st, your copy is expected to arrive by November 25th. The December issue features Fire Emblem, the unique strategy/RPG from the developers of the Advance Wars series! We hope you'll enjoy this article.

We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Power[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I can't even remember the last time NP was delayed... what the heck?
Founder, RPGamer
I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Comments

• LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    A better question is...why are you still getting Nintendo Power?
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    And why wouldn't he still get Nintendo Power?
    edited October 2003
    Because NP had its golden age about 5 or 6 years ago, and has been declining in quality (or more appropriately, increasing in suckitude) since then. The removal of the Epic Center section, while completely understandable, marked the end of an era.
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I thought NP started to suck more like 10 years ago. Did it start not sucking again after I stopped getting it?
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 24 2003,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A better question is...why are you still getting Nintendo Power?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because I get 12 issues for roughly 3 dollars and a strategy guide I was going to buy anyway. I can use NP to scan ads for RPGamer, as well as make sure we're up to date on our GBA/GC coverage.

I also get GamePro for the same reason (though it costs more). :P
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited October 2003
    Well okay, at least you have RPGamer to use as an excuse. ;)
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I just got a subscription to GamePro for free. ?A website offering it, but I think it's expired.

A place called slickdeals.net has some pretty sweet offers from all over the web, and usually about once a week there is a magazine offer listed, and several times free subscriptions to gaming magazines were listed.

As far as Nintendo Power is concerned.. I used to love that mag. ?Its best issues, IMO, were from #1 until around the N64 era. ?The SNES age was bliss.

edited October 2003
    SPAM!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    After having about a year's worth of GamePro, I can pretty much conclude to myself that GamePro printed nothing but crap. I have really not read a single gaming mag that I liked. sad.gif
  • ShionShion Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    .....That's one hell of a delay.

Ah well. I don't read NP but I want that one just because the cover's Fire Emblem. =P

..and I'll have beaten the game by the time NP comes out. Hector's route too! Oh well. :D
  • Final NightFinal Night Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I've always liked EGM and PSM...

whatever happened to EGM2? *L*
    † Final Night †

Currently Playing: Persona 4 Golden

[URL="http://\&quot;http://www.twitter.com/final_night\&quot;"]twitter.com/final_night[/URL]
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Oct. 24 2003,23:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just got a subscription to GamePro for free. A website offering it, but I think it's expired.

A place called slickdeals.net has some pretty sweet offers from all over the web, and usually about once a week there is a magazine offer listed, and several times free subscriptions to gaming magazines were listed.

As far as Nintendo Power is concerned.. I used to love that mag. Its best issues, IMO, were from #1 until around the N64 era. The SNES age was bliss.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hear, Hear!

I loved the 3 volume Secret of Mana spread they did back then. Dropped it quite fast though a bit into the n64 era.

Dracos
  • lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    The reason for this delay was some messed up ink stuff... a few people alreayd got their issues, and those that did, most had some pages that were completely unreadable because of messed up ink.
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 24 2003,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because NP had its golden age about 5 or 6 years ago, and has been declining in quality (or more appropriately, increasing in suckitude) since then. The removal of the Epic Center section, while completely understandable, marked the end of an era.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In case you didn't know, the epic center has been back for quite a while now.

While NP did have is decline, I tend to believe it was soley because the N64 didn't fare well. Now that the N64 is dead, so is much of the old suckitude of NP.

edited October 2003
    I was unaware of that, as my last issue was the one that featured the launch of the GBA. Now tell me, is half the magazine still dedicated to Pokemon in one form or another? If not, it may be worth checking out again.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 27 2003,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now tell me, is half the magazine still dedicated to Pokemon in one form or another? If not, it may be worth checking out again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It was like that? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. And I worked in a hospital and a sex shop. tounge.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 27 2003,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I was unaware of that, as my last issue was the one that featured the launch of the GBA. Now tell me, is half the magazine still dedicated to Pokemon in one form or another? If not, it may be worth checking out again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The Pokemon section has been reduced to a single page, or at the very most two. They no longer have the pokemon comics, or huge articles whenever they release a new card ;)
  • Shooter_McGunSmackShooter_McGunSmack Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I like Np because they have good offers on some games where you can get deals and what not. I mainly like other gaming mags, because of the fact that they are not as biased (sp?) to Nintendo games. That and I get other game reviews since I have more then one game system tounge.gif

Generator I found that deal and I got it too biggrin.gif. Although for some reason I still having gotten may mag. Maybe, I put in the wrong address... that would be funny, and sad laugh.gif
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 27 2003,08:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I was unaware of that, as my last issue was the one that featured the launch of the GBA. Now tell me, is half the magazine still dedicated to Pokemon in one form or another? If not, it may be worth checking out again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    For the most part, NP has gotten over its pokemon fetish, but there's still a "kiddie" taste that finds its way into parts of magazine.

The most recent issue has some great FFT strategies. I'd say the price of the yearly subscription is worth it.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    depends on if you own Nintendo's systems or not to me....I mean even when Pokemon was hot I couldn't see subcribing when most of the mag was dedicated to the N64(a system I did not own at the time). When it was around durring the NES and SNES eras I would buy an issue here and there depending on the subject....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    I use to get Nintendo Power years ago. They had some secrets or tips that were valuable. I don't remember too much anymore, I let my subscribtion run out on that. I think I got a free guide with it at one point.

Right now I am getting free EGMs. Out of know where. They don't give enough tips though. The main talk is about what is to come, people bashing EGM with letters, people who hate certain consoles, and Game Releases. That is pretty much EGM in a nutshell. Not sure what is the better magazine these days. Nintendo Power? Gamepro? EGM? etc...
    edited October 2003
    NP has great freebies. For the 20$ subscription, you always have the option to get a free strategy guide, which tend to cost 15-20$ themselves. If you subscribe online, you can chose what strategy guide you want.

On top of that, you have things like that orchestrated SSB:M CD, which NP subscribers got for free awhile back.
  • EvaNgeLioNEvaNgeLioN Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I would never even pick up a NP today, as I have a real dislike toward that company now. However, my friend used to get their Mag a while back and we found a copy in his home a few months ago that had a review for C-Vania III and a little strategy guide. It was kinda cool to see what they thought about that game when it was first released.
    edited October 2003
    Do you disslike Nintendo or the Mag? If so (on either one) why?
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shooter_McGunSmack @ Oct. 28 2003,15:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do you disslike Nintendo or the Mag? ?If so (on either one) why?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't really dislike the magazine, as I have not seen one in a really long time. ?I simply don't care for Nintendo anymore. ?Yeah, I loved 'em as a kid, during the NES and SNES era, but since the N64 they have seemed to just sell-out more and more. ?Sorry if this offends any of you, but I don't think they should have made the mario games so childish, and the way they treated link by turning him into a weird looking cartoon thingy really pissed me off. ?I have yet to play a game on the gamecube I have enjoyed (though I have not played Metroid, or Eternal Darkness and those look pretty cool) besides the ones that were also released on the PS2. ?I think it really started when I bought my N64, I was hoping for the RPG system of the century, and they never even came out with one for like 3 yrs. besides Quest 64, and that just plain sucked, thought Zelda was quite cool, but I consider those
    Adventure games not RPG's. ?Then Sony started to come out with all the good games, and I sold my N64, I was so glad to get rid of it, after three years of no RPG's I was really annoyed (I sold it long after I bought my PS).

edited October 2003
    So have you played the new Zelda? I have heard a lot of people complain and complain about the horrible graphics and whatnot, then they play it and love it. You can't really judge a game just by the way it looks. I admit that I did judge Zelda when I first saw it but I got past that and played it anyway. Its an awesome game and super fun biggrin.gif. Yeah, the N64 was poop. Its was one of the worse systems I have seen (I have seem worse... N-Gage anyone laugh.gif ), although it had some good games to it. Im not trying to start a big "this console is better then this one" debate because I know that it have been done before. I have all 3 of the consoles actually. I like them all... I know that its your opinion and I respect that. Just wanted to state mine laugh.gif.
    edited October 2003
    No, I have not played Zelda, and while I am sure it really is a fun game, as all the Zelda's while lately have become more and more childish really are quite entertaining, I just can't quite get past how they would ruin such great graphical potential. ?
    There is one game on the game cube that I think looks like it would be a lot of fun, and that is Mario Kart Whatever it's called, it looks pretty sweet, I love mario kart. ?
    One thing that nintendo did do right however was the GBA, it is a great system, mostly because a lot of companies have made some great old-school style RPG's for it, and that was just awesome. ?I don't have a GBA however, but I used to, and it was a very entertaining little console (my brother got married, and since it was his, he took it with him, and now I never see it anymore) sad.gif

edited October 2003
    Thats sucks man... Yeah I love my GBA it is an awesome little system there. Its called Mario Kart Double Dash and yes that game does look really cool. Im not sure I think that it might be a little rumor, but I think that they are going to make a realistic looking Zelda. Im not sure I think that it might be a rumor.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (EvaNgeLioN @ Oct. 29 2003,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I used to have a Nintendo Power subscription. If nothing else, it's a pretty nice catalogue.

I'm sorry to take the thread further off course, but I just have to address...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No, I have not played Zelda, and while I am sure it really is a fun game, as all the Zelda's while lately have become more and more childish really are quite entertaining, I just can't quite get past how they would ruin such great graphical potential.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you haven't played it, you don't have any room to talk. Really. I honestly don't understand how you're willing to dismiss a game that you admit is probably pretty good just because you think you don't like the graphical style. Here's a kindly suggestion: try it out. Nintendo did not "ruin" the game's "graphical potential". Wind Waker is technically superior to anything the PS2 could ever hope to render. So you don't initially like the style. Play it through a ways and see if it grows on you. If you still think it's a "childish" game that's not worth bothering with, there's nothing more I can do for you.

On another note, do Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario not count as "real" RPGs anymore? What does a game need to achieve this special status? A Playstation logo on the box art, perhaps?
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Oct. 30 2003,12:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you haven't played it, you don't have any room to talk. ?Really. ?I honestly don't understand how you're willing to dismiss a game that you admit is probably pretty good just because you think you don't like the graphical style. ?Here's a kindly suggestion: try it out. ?Nintendo did not "ruin" the game's "graphical potential". ?Wind Waker is technically superior to anything the PS2 could ever hope to render. ?So you don't initially like the style. ?Play it through a ways and see if it grows on you. ?If you still think it's a "childish" game that's not worth bothering with, there's nothing more I can do for you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I probably would give it a shot, if it would not cost me somewhere between $150.00 to $200.00 to do it after I purchased the system and the game. I am a poor college student, I will barely be able to afford to pruchase FFX-2 when it is released. ?And, I don't "think" I don't like the style, I just don't. ?I have seen it played, and that was enough to annoy the crap out of me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On another note, do Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario not count as "real" RPGs anymore? ?What does a game need to achieve this special status? ?A Playstation logo on the box art, perhaps?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No, it needs no PS logo, there are plenty of RPG's not on the PS I greatly enjoy. ?As for those two, I don't like Strategy RPG's, and I never even knew paper mario was an RPG I always thought it was a weird looking mario. ?I think it came out after I sold my N64, I am not sure though.