If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Which GBA RPG do you recomend?

DartDart MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Role Playing Games
I have not played any GBA RPGs so far and I am thinking about which one should be the best choice to start with. (since I've got got VERY little time to play GBA games, I'd like to take the best possible choice). I've heard a lot about Golden Sun and its sequel being good, and I am also considering FFTA. I don't like strategic RPGs THAT much, and I didn't enjoy the kids characters too. But the fact that the game will share some elements with FFXII got me motivated to play it.

So, I'd like your opinions: Which GBA RPGs should I play first? Some of the listed above? Do you wanna make a new suggestion?

Thanks
smile.gif

Ps: Just don't bother with Breath of Fire I & II. I've beaten both on the SNES already.

Comments

• lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well, I would suggest FFTA, but then again, I absolutely love SRPGs, so I don't knwo how much you'd like it ;)

To be honest, I can't think of any normal RPG that's worth buying aside from Golden Sun.

I suggest you save up for Fire Emblem... but then again, you might not like that either.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Lufia and the Ruins of Lore isn't bad. In fact, I liked it more than either of the Golden Suns. Aside from that, Fire Emblem comes out next month...

/swoon
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I started out with Golden Sun.. and I loved it. Give it a shot... the sequel is cool as well.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • edited October 2003
    Yeah, GS 1 and 2 were good, though the dialogue was so tiring.

Either of the Breath of Fire remakes rock if you didn't catch them on SNES.

And if you can find it, Phantasy Star Collection is 3 good classic RPG's on one cart.

Whatever you do, don't play: Shining Soul, and Lunar Legend. Bad juju...

Wait for: Mario and Luigi, Sword of Mana.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2003
    Funny, I was going to recommend Shining Soul tounge.gif Especially if you've enjoyed Action RPGs like Zelda, Dark Cloud, or Chaos Legion.

Also, try considering Demi Kids for your monster collecting goodness. It's much more interesting recruiting demons than shoving cute fuzzy things in little balls.

The Golden Sun duo has been recommended a couple times now, but I'd also like to vouch for it. Good stuff there.

Avoid Dokapon like the plague.

I'd also suggest picking up Boktai, as long as you can get some day time play.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance hands down. The game is a lot of fun to play and there is a great variety of characters and job classes. laugh.gif
  • edited October 2003
    *shakes some sense into Paws*

Gah! ?In order for a game to qualify as an ACTION rpg, it has to have ACTION. ?Shining Soul is boring, repetitive, button mashing, and it's BORING! tounge.gif This is NOT an opinion! ?It's FACT! ?Believe me! Reccommending this to fans of Zelda is a travesty.

No ability to pause = TERRIBLE game design.

No mid-dungeon save (dungeons are HUGE - and fricking repetitive...) = TERRIBLE game design.

Save funtion requires you to QUIT THE GAME ! ! = TERRIBLE game design.

A-button mash gameplay = TERRIBLE game design.

No story, none at all = TERRIBLE game design.

Horrible, repetitive music = TERRIBLE game design.

Passing this off as a "Shining" game = BAD IDEA!

How about you give me the $30 you'd spend on this and I'll come over to your house and kick your teeth in. ?It would probably equal out to the same amount of enjoyment for you.

Ok, I think I'm done now... ?DON'T BUY THIS GAME!

Ok, done...

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Wow, was it really that bad? Maybe I should think about getting something else instead. I never really thought about getting it until today though. Or maybe I don't mean anything. How do you even know I'm here????? *swish*

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Oct. 18 2003,12:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"*shakes some sense into Paws*

Gah! In order for a game to qualify as an ACTION rpg, it has to have ACTION. Shining Soul is boring, repetitive, button mashing, and it's BORING! tounge.gif This is NOT an opinion! It's FACT! Believe me! Reccommending this to fans of Zelda is a travesty.

No ability to pause = TERRIBLE game design.

No mid-dungeon save (dungeons are HUGE - and fricking repetitive...) = TERRIBLE game design.

Save funtion requires you to QUIT THE GAME ! ! = TERRIBLE game design.

A-button mash gameplay = TERRIBLE game design.

No story, none at all = TERRIBLE game design.

Horrible, repetitive music = TERRIBLE game design.

Passing this off as a "Shining" game = BAD IDEA!

How about you give me the $30 you'd spend on this and I'll come over to your house and kick your teeth in. It would probably equal out to the same amount of enjoyment for you.

Ok, I think I'm done now... DON'T BUY THIS GAME!

Ok, done...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not going to argue it's a lot of button mashing, but so is Chaos Legion.

I haven't decided if I like the no-pause feature. It adds a twist of difficulty to the game, and if they allows pause in multiplayer, it would be bad.

The dungeons aren't really that big. I can usually beat one in under an hour. I haven't tried saving by warping out with an angel wing and then shutting off. I do agree having to shut off the game is a very annoying feature, and it'll be noted in my review.

It's a pity there's not a huge lot of story...that I'll also agree to. But I liked the cameos of characters from the Shining Force games smile.gif

You have to like action to get into the game. And not all the Shining games were TRPGs. Shining in the Darkness first person RPG, Shining Wisdom is akin to Shining Soul, and Shining the Holy Ark is, I *think*, also not a TRPG. So, it does go along with the series just fine, IMO tounge.gif
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'd anti-recommend GS, unless you seriously like wandering around a map aimlessly, being accosted by random monsters whether on foot or on your boat, hoping you stumble blindly unto wherever it is you're supposed to go. The story couldn't make up for that aimless gameplay even if it was the most wonderful thing since sliced bread - and its not. It's just sliced.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    So what you're saying is Golden Sun is low-carb?
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    *grin* something like that.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Golden Sun isn't that bad. IMO, it's a really good game. You just have to get used a lot of battles because there a lot of times that you have no idea where to go. It happened to me all the time, but I put up with it.
  • edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You have to like action to get into the game[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ha ha, liking action doesn't really help much. ?In fact, I'd think that liking actual GOOD action RPG's would kind of spoil you to this horrendous game from the start. ?I fear for anyone who considers themself a fan of action RPG's and likes Shining Soul as well...
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The dungeons aren't really that big. ?I can usually beat one in under an hour. ?I haven't tried saving by warping out with an angel wing and then shutting off. ?I do agree having to shut off the game is a very annoying feature, and it'll be noted in my review.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes they are. ?An hour is a LONG time for a portable RPG. ?An hour is longer than dungeons take in many console RPG's. ?Also there is no way, whatsoever, to save your progress once you start a dungeon without losing that progress if you have to stop. ?You can get all the way to the boss and have to stop playing, only to have to redo the entire thing later. ?Angels wings don't solve anything, they only provide the means for an exit. All progress will be lost. ?You can't just pick up and play this game on a bus ride, hell I don't even think I could muster up enough toilet time to get through a single dungeon in this Godawful game. ?Nothing about this game caters to portable demands, or a fun playing experience in the least.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Oct. 19 2003,11:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes they are. An hour is a LONG time for a portable RPG. An hour is longer than dungeons take in many console RPG's. Also there is no way, whatsoever, to save your progress once you start a dungeon without losing that progress if you have to stop. You can get all the way to the boss and have to stop playing, only to have to redo the entire thing later. Angels wings don't solve anything, they only provide the means for an exit. All progress will be lost. You can't just pick up and play this game on a bus ride, hell I don't even think I could muster up enough toilet time to get through a single dungeon in this Godawful game. Nothing about this game caters to portable demands, or a fun playing experience in the least.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I tend to have an hour when I sit down and play laugh.gif But I'll agree with what you've said. Something I'm definitely going to mention is the fact it's more tailored to the GB Player than the GBA
    (Especially since diagonal angles are a must during most of the gameplay. Yay for analog stick.)
  • DartDart Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. I've already decided: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the game that I am playing at the moment. Despite its flaws, the newest entry at the FF series is proving to be quite enjoyable.
  • Final NightFinal Night Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I know you've already made your choice, but in the event that you're looking for a game for your second choice... go with Lunar Legend.

I know someone just told you not to, but I loved it. I'm playing Lufia: Ruins of Lore right now and it seems pretty good thus far.
    † Final Night †

Currently Playing: Persona 4 Golden

[URL="http://\&quot;http://www.twitter.com/final_night\&quot;"]twitter.com/final_night[/URL]
  • edited October 2003
    Final Night, you obviously haven't played Lunar (Sega CD) or Lunar SSSC... Even the superbly mediocre Lufia RoL has lightyears on Lunar Legend... Lunar Legend is simply one of the worst RPG's on the GBA, and easily one of the worst butcherings of a great game in the history of the medium.
  • cazzocazzo New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Oct. 18 2003,22:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd anti-recommend GS, unless you seriously like wandering around a map aimlessly, being accosted by random monsters whether on foot or on your boat, hoping you stumble blindly unto wherever it is you're supposed to go. ?The story couldn't make up for that aimless gameplay even if it was the most wonderful thing since sliced bread[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with u Phatose, GS is a pointless game...FFTA, ALL THE WAY!
  • cazzocazzo New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dart @ Oct. 23 2003,15:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. I've already decided: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the game that I am playing at the moment. Despite its flaws, the newest entry at the FF series is proving to be quite enjoyable.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    U little ripper....FFTA is the best game on the GBA....its almost as good as FFVII...almost...and FFTA also has stuff going on after u finish it making it the best game on GBA