The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Why people USUALLY like GBA/SP games.

2»

Comments

• mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2003
    i liken the gba's game library to that of a new snes's.the games seem like they are from that era.to me,those were some of the best rpgs of all time(ff4-6,chrono trigger,secret of mana.etc...).plus i prefer 2-d sprites to 3-d,polygonal models anyday.thats why i think the rpgs for the gba are the best out there right now.also if there was never a gameboy player for the gamecube released i wouldnt even be playing the gba games because i cant stand looking at that small screen.i will be saddened when they stop developement for the gba because then the next inevitable step will be to a 3-d based handheld which i will not like...ah

• Reverend WilkieReverend Wilkie New Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    For me, the GBA is a walk down memory lane. Not just because of all the SNES ports and remakes, but because I just love 2D games in general. Nothing will top the 16-bit era with RPGs.

I hope one day that I don't have to rely on emulation to get my 2D-kicks.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ July 16 2003,05:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well enjoy the 2D games now, because if the PSP proves itself to be viable competition to Nintendo, you can be sure that the next Game Boy will have full 3D capabilities -- and most companies have shown that when they can do 3D games, they'll almost always choose to make them over 2D games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hopefully though we'll eventually see a saturation of that market to which case 2d effects can seem new'ish and cool and get more publishing. Ah...who am I fooling ;_;

Dracos
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    My favorite game series (gee, guess what that is) has eleven installments, including remakes, and....

--I can play one on my SNES, which much fighting
    --I can play two on my PSX
    --When I get a GCN, I can play one.
    --When I get a PS2, it will still play none till it's modded. (exception: the two I can play on PSX)
    --I can play FOUR of them on my GBA. w00tage.

Things that effect the above are a) backwards compatability, b) number of games for that system, and c) regional protection.

Wouldn't companies make more money if they allowed you play Japanese games on American systems and vice versa? It just makes no sense....
  • edited August 2003
    I own a GBA mainly for convenience. It's never fun having to plug in A/V jacks, power cords, etc. and it's very annoying when someone just has to use the TV when I'm playing. I don't really like spending my money on remakes of games that I've played (and maybe still own), extras and bonuses aside, and the new games are actually kinda crappy (with a few exceptions of course). confused.gif
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    I'm not really too fond of handhelds. Thing is I never got used to them, and unlike all other gaming mediums handhleds tend to make my head hurt after the first 2 hours. Plus, the GBA has a rather poor screen that tends to reflect most lights, forcing me to find just the perfect amount of light to make it playable. Maybe that's why my head hurts. I heard the SP does better in this field, but I don't have enough money.

This aside, I never really have situations where I'm away from home and having lots of time on my hands, so I never got to fully enjoy handhelds.
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I actualy hate the portability. If it were up to me, ALl GBA games would be released on Gamecube or PS2 or something, i'd be happier, im more comfortable playing on my tv screen, in the dark, with a nice stereo system fro the music. Good thing game boy player solves this. The reason I like GBA games is cuz there good games and there fun, also, tons of 2d games, something rare on new generation systems.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spidey @ Sep. 03 2003,18:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If it were up to me, ALl GBA games would be released on Gamecube[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They are.
  • VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good thing game boy player solves this. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He knows.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Who is this mysterious "Boy Player" anyway?
    Strange how Vargas and Boy Player are never seen together confused.gif laugh.gif
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vargas @ Sep. 04 2003,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good thing game ?boy player solves this. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He knows.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But maybe he didn't put two and two together, and needed a little prodding before realizing that fact.
  • MagmetheusMagmetheus New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I think the reason I like GBA/SP games is that they're 2D. I love 2D games and they just aren't supported as much as I would like.. the portablity is nice too, but I also like playing multiplayer games with my own screen instead of a split screen.
  • HyperMechaHyperMecha Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    What Magmetheus said. It's the last hurrah for 2D gaming, that's why I love my lil GBA.