If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Labor on Labor Day

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited September 2004 in Latest Updates
Well, truth be told, I've been playing a LOT of a particular game. Not as much as some people have been this last week. As to what game, I'll let everyone guess.

However, our "holiday even though it's not really a holiday" update takes yet another whack at the backlog, with our new and grizzled veterans getting a highlighted spot.

If you are a first-timer who thinks your review has been lost to the nether void, please PM us, we'll help you out.

You may commence with the flaming. Amish out.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2004
    Probably not Phantom Brave... T_T
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Sep. 06 2004,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Probably not Phantom Brave... T_T[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Considering how long it took me to finish Disgaea, it's not. ?Don't get me wrong, I *really* want to play the game. ?It's just other priorities are in the way...mainly, other staff reviews and money.

A curious question though: how far are you into the game?
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Ummm....... the apostrophe's in most of the Reviews appear as the square smybol thingies..... HTML script error?
  • RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Those only appear in two reviews, both by LordoftheFleas. ?He probably has some kind of bizarre type of encoding or something and forgot to set it to plain text before sending it in.

EDIT: LordoftheFleas: Send me a message or join #reviewhaven and let me know what you would like to put in place of those weird symbols and I'll fix it for you. I can't change it without your permission though.

• O Shrouded OneO Shrouded One Hobo With A Huge Heart Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Delicious, I say! Another fine update, my boys. Keep up the good work! *hides the incriminating pictures of Roku*
    Hire me for work!
    Follow me on The Twitters!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    I just started last night. I'm only 7 hours in at the moment. Phantom Brave is easily and by far the most overbearing TRPG I've ever played. There's so many facets to the mechanical systems that it boggles my mind just thinking about it. In the first few hours playing Disgaea I thought it was a little too deep and complex for it's own good, but this game makes Disgaea look almost Onimusha Tactics-like in comparison. It's sickening. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll get a better grasp on how the game works as I'm getting into it, and the strategy guide has helped a lot (do not buy this game without getting the guide - you've been warned ^^), though there's simply so many techniques and customization options to put into play that you can't possibly do everything in the first few hours of play.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2004
    Phantom Brave is well...weird. And grossly unbalanced, at that. The soundtrack's pretty beautiful, though. Voice acting's great, too.

• Options
    edited September 2004
    Unbalanced in what way? I agree it is quite weird though. Being able to beat enemies with each other (or each others' corpses) qualifies it instantantly for the Weird award, and that's only scratching at the surface. ^^

If there's one aspect that I can say I don't like so far (and this is only based off the few hours in that I am) it's that the phantoms that you use at your island (blacksmith, merchant, fusionist, etc) need to be leveled up in order to improve their out of battle functions. It makes me feel like I need to go out of my way to confine them all in battles to earn a bit of the final spoils, and even then they don't level up very fast. On top of that, with few exceptions they all perform terribly in battle to boot. This might not be as big of an issue into the game more. Who knows for now? Surely not I.
    edited September 2004
    My biggest beef is that in my experience, only about three of my characters have proved to be useful at all in battle (Ash, Marona, and my fighter). Everyone else fares a bit poorly, and it's a bit tedious and tiresome to try and bring weaker characters up to speed with the rest of my party, and even then, their asses still get kicked pretty easily in battle.

• Options
    edited September 2004
    Hmm. You obviously haven't dabbled in witchery. My witch outdamages even Ash at his best. Not only that, but the Mega spells have a pretty nice area of effect so you can take out a nicely bunched up group of bad guys with it. Though their remove is kind of low, with enough SP built up you can get a couple nice nukes off before they go bye bye. One thing I'm noticing is that unarmed characters -or even character that are using enemies or foliage as a weapon- don't seem to do much damage. I wish that the price of equipping a weapon didn't mean you lose the flexibility of being able to lift and toss stuff (that's not to mention the fact that items count towards your maximum amount of phantoms you can have confined)...
    edited September 2004
    My witch has gotten killed right away whenever I brought her into battle, but I'll try to see if I can't put her to more use in the future.
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Hmm try confining her to a weed instead of a flower for a speed boost so she can take a turn before enemies can slaughter her. This should work until she levels up a bit and can take a few hits. Better yet, why don't you equip her with a weed as well, that way she'll have a crazy speed right off the bat, and will most likely get to move quickly. You can always do that until she levels a few times and then give her a book so she gets better spells. If anything just confine her farther away from the fray and have her use a turn to move close enough to cast. I personally haven't had problems keeping anyone alive with Marona and a healer available. Magic classes in this game seem to be the real heavy hitters in this game more than in LPT and Disgaea. The only thing I've seen do more damage at my level is Ash confined on a bomb with Snakish equipped (lvl4 at the time I think), which put his attack up pretty high.