If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Uematsu Working On New Black Mages Album

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited October 2004 in Latest Updates
Renowned video game composer Nobuo Uematsu and his band are putting the pieces of a new Black Mages album together. Story, samples, and a video lie inside.

Check it

Comments

• MagRowanMagRowan Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Oh yeah! I'm totally enthused! I loved the first Black Mages CD (recently picked up at a con). I wonder how soon we'll be able to get our mits on the new disk state side. Probably have to be an import, but meh, it's Uematsu! biggrin.gif
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Yes, I am psyched as well. I only recently heard the first album, and I've been listening to it almost every day since tounge.gif
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    OMFGROX! alien.gif alien.gif alien.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I mean it, too.

Edit: Holy crap, vocals! wow.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the "Man with the Machine Gun" remix sounds like it belongs in a Mega Man game... tounge.gif

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    I hope the arrangements are better this time. I like the concept, but a few too many of the tracks from the first album were, for all intents and purposes, the in game music played live. I don't necessarily mind that, but I don't think it's a terribly good approach for a rock album.
    edited October 2004
    While, I agree on the point about the way it sounded, I don't think it really matters whether it does or not, one way or another. I mean, it's really aimed at a niche audience to begin with, most of which probably won't care about anything more than the fact that it's arranged videogame music.

Me, I adore the first album despite some of the songs(the FFVII ones, in particular) sounding like they came right out of the games(notable exception of J-E-N-O-V-A on that point). I've had it for over a year and it's still one of the most played albums on my computers, next to my Majestic Mix albums.

As always, to each their own, though.
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Sorry, I can't get excited about this. In fact, even within my circle of nerdier friends I don't think I'd have the sack to play anything with those vocals within anyone's earshot.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Yeah, I have to agree with that. Those vocals are kinda...ugh.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    What happened to OBEY?

Dracos
    edited October 2004
    Way to be shallow. mad.gif

At least tell me you're not thinking of writing the whole thing off on just one 45 second sample. confused.gif

• AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    I'm excited about this, but I will admit that those vocals made me burst out laughing. Do I hold it against the whole album? No. There's always the "skip" button and "rip & burn a mixed CD of the songs I like." biggrin.gif

You should have seen us on IRC last night.

Staffer1: "Hey guys, Uematsu is making Black Mages II."
    Staffer2: "O_O"
    Staffer3: "What?!"
    Staffer4: "Oh wow!!"
    Staffer1: "Here's the link:"
    *everyone scrambles to click it*
    Alethea's Windows Media Player: "WMP could not play the clip due to heavy server traffic. Please try again later when everyone isn't swarming over the song like demented fanboys."

biggrin.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (XeroZohar @ Oct. 13 2004,12:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"At least tell me you're not thinking of writing the whole thing off on just one 45 second sample. confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If it'll make you sleep better at night, consider it dismissed based on two 45 second samples, since I didn't like either.

Oh and if the WMA samples are still fudged, you can download Real Alternative and mplayer classic to listen to the RA samples without having to download the RealPlague software...

edited October 2004
    Eh, fair enough.

You win the prize, though, since you linked to RA. wink.gif
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Awesome... I haven't downloaded any music off DirectConnect in a while. Looks like I'll soon have a reason to use it again. Can't wait for this one to be uploaded.
  • ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    IMO that other song without song sounds awesome.. it's that laguna battle theme.
    \"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Elranzer @ Oct. 15 2004,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Awesome... I haven't downloaded any music off DirectConnect in a while. Looks like I'll soon have a reason to use it again. Can't wait for this one to be uploaded.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    People still use DC? I thought BitTorrent completely wiped out every other peer to peer system out there...
    edited October 2004
    Hardly. There's enough of us who hate BT with a fiery vengence to more than fill out tons of other peer to peer networks. You know, ones that don't completely suck.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Oh, wow... You're going to have your work cut out for you trying to convince me that BT sucks. I'd like to hear your reasoning though, as you're the first and only person I've ever heard say that. I've been using BT almost exclusively for all my (admittedly excessive) piracy needs for 2 years now. Not that there's a lack of legit usages for it... For the World of Warcraft beta, Blizzard distro'd the client via BT and I was able to get a steady maxed stream of 350+k/s, both times I had to download it... If there anything bad that can be said about it, it's that older material is harder to find. Though, I'm sure there's a lot of other places out there to look if you really need to find something...
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Well, not to usurp too much of Dracos' response here, but as far as distributing copyrighted material without permission goes, BitTorrent is one of the technically easiest to get caught doing. While the Fasttrack network is the one currently drawing the companies' ire, BT is not a 'safe' way to be doing that sort of thing. Little bit of legal pressure on the tracker's ISP and bam, you've got thousands of IPs, and since they're all mandatorily uploading, you don't even have to touch the legal gray area that is downloading copyrighted materials without permission without uploading.
    edited October 2004
    I've sat in a nice IRC room and gotten 1.5 megabytes per second grabbing gigabyte files. Comparing the best case scenarios doesn't really show much about a file serving protocal. On the front, most of the implementations of the BT protocal are horribly inefficient. I've never seen file-sharing programs grab quite as many resources as BT will happily do downloading a single large file. Sure, I can get 300-400 k on a great BT. But that's at best. Which is ridiculous when I'm sitting on a fancy smancy ridiculously fast college connection. And it requires usually there to be hundreds of seeds to get there. If I see 20-30, forget it, It'll be sitting there for hours. If I go on an irc room and see 20-30 servers with a file, I can usually count on having that file in the next 10-15 minutes. If I want to really acquire something, I'll flip open either a some high speed network hub (far faster on all cases) or the donkey (which has yet to fail on even ridiculously obscure stuff).

Yes, BT is a nice distribution setup for large companies which would otherwise have to spending most the bandwidth cost themselves. But outside of that, it's very rarely done any good by me and I much prefer file serving protocals that get the file and don't devour my system while doing so. Admittingly, the plugin to use it on e-donkey hasn't screwed my comp at all yet, so I could've just gone through..four...five? bad implementations of it that were 'highly recommended'.

Either way, I'll stay away from it when I have the option.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Well most of us don't have access to a fancy T3 connection. ^^ I personally find it easy to max out my wimpy home cable connection, and often times I have to limit my up and down streams so that I can still managably access the internet while downloading. I'll take your word on the capping of downstream for your T3, though I'm left to wonder how I've seen T3's upload at well over a megabyte a second on a torrent. Why would the upstream be uncapped and not the down? Perhaps to better distribute bandwidth over the leechers? But really, even being on a college connection, is ~300k/s really that terrible? tounge.gif

I've never used eDonkey, though I'd never deny that IRC didn't have it's benefits for P2P. Though the problem there is queueuueuueueing. 56k'ers (and I'm sure even home cable and DSL users in your case) really slow down the downloading and queueueueueueing process and it gets annoying to have to sit in line and wait my turn.
    edited October 2004
    Oh, it's not that, I just think the algorithm it uses is bad. I've never come close to having BT saturate my downstream for my home cable connection either, the only time ever coming close is irc servers. And yes, I did read over all their faqs on how to tweak it to both send and receive as much as possible. To be blunt, I usually never see 300 k on a bt. I clap and dance around if I see 15. It's usually barely better than a 56 k, and only in occassional circumstances does the speed blast off into the 50-300 k range that's almost par for the course from most servers I find on IRC. The problem I tended to have wasn't that my bandwidth was being devoured (far from it) but that I'd glance over at the task manager and see eighty five-ninty percent processor usage just for it to be doing it's fancy download alongside hundreds of megs of ram usage. If I'm going to be putting up with a slow download, it better not be devouring my computer resources to accomplish it.

Personally, I almost never wait in queues. Whether that's because I have a network of folks that point out when the queues are open or because I'm just lucky whenever I randomly drop by a room and try and grab things, but my average time in IRC to get, oh, a fansub is about 25 minutes, including the times when I'm sitting around waiting for an hour for the queue, which happens less and less with each passing day as most 56k'ers swamp the BT networks, leaving the places open for those with larger connections. Actually, the last time I can recall a problem with that is when the actual server I connected to was serving from a 56k.

Personally though, I'm on irc all the time. Flinging something in a queue and wandering off to keep chatting elsewhere and knowing that:
    A)It'll get gotten pretty quickly.
    B)It's going to take no more than what is already being devoured by my irc program (which is very little)

In other words, I'd rather rely on a paper-thin DCC protocal, then BT which seems to outweigh microsoft products more often then not in it's bloat. Anyhow though, in context, I appear to have had far worse experiences with BT implementations then most. Sure I know quite a few that have had similar issues or other concerns regarding the protocal or the implementations of it, but the vast majority generally doesn't have too much of a problem with it. Me though, when I want something sent to someone or multiple people or if I want to get something, BT is going to remain as the last option I'll think of to do it.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    I dunno then, maybe you're just having bad luck. I've had friends complain about slow DL speeds, but then realize that they had a firewall interfering. After adjusting ports I'll never hear another complaint. Also, I've found that having a single instance of Azureus managing all my torrents instead of multiple instances of a single torrent client (BitTornado being the one I used to use) really cuts down on my CPU usage. I can even play memory hogging games like Doom 3 and Call of Duty while Azu is running. Though I wouldn't attempt any online play, as like I said, my bandwidth is usually maxed out. Perhaps your school's network is interfering with your DL in some way? I couldn't say for sure. Though I suppose if IRC is working for you, there's no reason I would even worry about it. And as Rico said, you're probably safer on IRC in the long run anyways. ^^
  • SpideyknightSpideyknight Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    If you can use IRC it is definately the best. The problem is it's difficulty. To start downloading you need to find a channel that has your file, amongst thousands of channels, finding one can be a pain. In addition it isn't simply a double click or click to start downloading. So you have to use a FAQ to learn how to download and then find a decent forum to tell you what channel to go in to start downloading. Every other p2p is far easier to use. For BT it's find a site(which can be easily google'd) click a link and start downloading and for other p2p's it's hit search, double-click and start waiting.

As I said IRC is definately the best and has been around the longest and used to be the only good way to get stuff, now though with other programs being easier people tend to use them instead.

I only use IRC to download fansubs now as the forum I use to go to got shut down and with it went the info on which channels I needed to hit, to get what I wanted.