If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nobuo Uematsu and Square Enix Part Ways

2»

Comments

• AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"After going over the story above with a more experienced translation of the source article, we have determined that, at the moment, this story is a rumor, and has not been confirmed in any way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

mad.gif I don't know who I should stab: Martyr or the source. I think I'll stab the source and have Martyr perform penance later.

LiQuid:

Troll Opinion: He was a burnt out hack who hasn't produced anything of value since the 16-bit era.

Opinion: Uematsu was getting burned out, and his recent work is inferior to his work in the 16-bit era.

Choose your phrasing wisely. laugh.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Is Uematsu involved in any way with Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, or Advent Children?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I think I wrote a story a while back about how he was working on some of the music for Advent Children. As for the other three, I don't know.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    If anyone's still skeptical about the legitimacy of this thing, here's your confirmation.

It's true.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Updated 10/31/04: Nobuo Uematsu's official fan club has confirmed this report, saying that Uematsu will leave Square Enix this month and join a company named "Smile Please" in November. Uetmasu said that he would not want to call this "quitting," as that term is too extreme. Rather, it is akin to graduating from the company. His reason for leaving is to pursue work at his own pace. He plans to continue his work in writing game music, performing in concerts, and producing the upcoming second Black Mages album. He is also planning other activities outside of Japan as well.

Jormungand: Next time, email us instead of just posting the outside link. laugh.gif

• ezyericezyeric Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Hmm I just read a small interview with Uematsu-san on adventchildren.net and he was at a concert with FF music.

Also he is doing the music for advent children.

This article states that he is doing the music for FFXII i thought we already discussed that he was not doing it and we already heard samples from it?confused.gif

My reaction about him leaving: I already thought he had his peak (in regards to FF music) but there is never a time where I dont enjoy new music from him. I also think he wrote enough, with revisions and all for me to be satisfied with his music (that is already out) for the rest of my life. I do every day.

BUT...I MUST go to a Final Fantasy concert before I die. With the success of the one on the west coast you would think they will have one on the East Coast...and I will HAVE to go to this one.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ezyeric @ Oct. 31 2004,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hmm I just read a small interview with Uematsu-san on adventchildren.net and he was at a concert with FF music.

Also he is doing the music for advent children.

This article states that he is doing the music for FFXII i thought we already discussed that he was not doing it and we already heard samples from it?confused.gif

My reaction about him leaving: I already thought he had his peak (in regards to FF music) but there is never a time where I dont enjoy new music from him. ?I also think he wrote enough, with revisions and all for me to be satisfied with his music (that is already out) for the rest of my life. I do every day.

BUT...I MUST go to a Final Fantasy concert before I die. With the success of the one on the west coast you would think they will have one on the East Coast...and I will HAVE to go to this one.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He did a few tracks including what could be called the "theme" track. He didn't do the entire soundtrack for FFXII though.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edited October 2004
    well, i have to say that Uematsu is free to do whatever he wants, there's nothing we can do about it. yes, i'm a bit overwhelmed about his leaving, having just recently discovered the Final Fantasy series. All we can hope is that he wants to compose the music for future final fantasy games. And in reply to a few other people, after composing hundreds and hundreds of different songs, it's hard to come up with something that sounds totally different than all the others. wink.gif
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Chalk another one up for creative freedom. Maybe now Uematsu can grab Mitsuda and do something special...at least once.... smile.gif
  • ihatethatbobbarkerihatethatbobbarker Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eRthIan @ Oct. 30 2004,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Is this all people do is gripe? ?How I long for some inteligent conversation to lurk uppon and insert my various witticisms.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    welcome to the internet, thats all people do
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Uematsu been busting his ass at Square for way too long. Good for him for leaving.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"His reason for leaving is to pursue work at his own pace[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's probably a good chunk of why some of his work was rather mediocre; executives telling him to hurry up and finish. That's happened to me more times then I can count, and the work ALWAYS suffers. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Maybe now Uematsu can grab Mitsuda and do something special...at least once.... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

RPG composers collaborating? Sounds sexy...!

• lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Maybe Mitsuda's skills will rub off on Uematsu ;)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i suppose your right there . . . it actually saddens me to see square go down like this. for so long i would buy any thing soley based on that name. but, i suppose the tack on of *pauses for shudder* enix should explain all of it. not that i hate enix, but they shure do love to milk their franchises.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I can understand people preferring Sqaure or Enix over the other. I can even understand those who don't like the merger.

But to blame Enix for the steady deterioration of the FF franchise, and then to say that Enix is the company in that pair who likes to milk things... Well. Did you even read what you said? ;)
  • SpikingZeroSpikingZero Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    The quality of Uematsu's music has really dropped I believe. I started to notice somewhat of a dropoff in the quality of his compositions in FFIX, and after you've composed hundreds upon hundreds of tracks, it's difficult to come up with a tune you haven't already done before. This isn't a flame, but it's just what happens after you've peaked and you really can't go anywhere else.

Of course, I'm not saying that he could never compose anything original again, it's just that they won't come by as easily as they once did perhaps. It's good to go at one's own pace.

(P.S. Koichi Sugiyama's better. =O)
  • edited November 2004
    It's just like many musicians who have had a good creative and commericial run, and then become just regular musicians who make things that are adequate but nothing special. ?There are those times when magic just seems to happen, and then it fade slowly, or quickly sometimes. ?John Lennon and Paul McCartney, etc...

• yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Of course Sugiyama's better. The guy has a lot of experience under his belt.

I guess the best thing I can think of in regards to this whole deal is that maybe we'll be hearing little less of Matoi Sakuraba with another composer to choose from..

Definitely a good thing.
  • eRthIaneRthIan New Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lord-of-shadow @ Oct. 31 2004,20:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Maybe Mitsuda's skills will rub off on Uematsu ;)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i suppose your right there . . . it actually saddens me to see square go down like this. for so long i would buy any thing soley based on that name. but, i suppose the tack on of *pauses for shudder* enix should explain all of it. not that i hate enix, but they shure do love to milk their franchises.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I can understand people preferring Sqaure or Enix over the other. I can even understand those who don't like the merger.

But to blame Enix for the steady deterioration of the FF franchise, and then to say that Enix is the company in that pair who likes to milk things... Well. Did you even read what you said? ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    perhaps i am just a little "malinformed". I watched all of the dragon quest games rease one after the other in a seemingly unending stream. releases for gamboy and other side franchises. i nevery realy got into them as i did the final fantasy series . . . which i am sure is why it seems like they are milking it to me. Alas, I'll admit, that i realy know nothing about enix. take pitty on me eh.gif !!!
    I suppose that i consider my self a liberal, and when i didnt like the fact that Square was merging, just because it is merging, that would be rather conservative, wouldnt it? so i guess my Enix-bashing is just part of that whole . . . thing . . . or some thing sarcasm.gif
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    There aren't quite 8 games in the main Dragon Quest series. The main Final Fantasy series is almost up to 12. Dragon Quest 1-3 were remade for Super Famicom and for the Game Boy Color, 4 for the PSX, and 5 for the PS2. Final Fantasy 1 & 2 were remade on WSC, PSX, and GBA. 3 is being remade on the DS. 4 was ported to the WSC, 4-6 were ported to PSX, and 7 and 8 were ported to PC. I'm not going to get into discussions of spin-offs since that depends a bit too much on individual definitions, but DQ is behind in both main titles and ports/remakes.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    This is not bad in any ways at all. All this means is that now if Square Enix wants to use him, they'll have to hire him under contract. Kind of like with Yoshitaka Amano. If they don't feel like paying his fee then they have to find someone else, perhaps someone on the inside whose not as good (like when they picked Nomura instead of hiring Mr. Amano for FF7, 8 and 10).

Now Mr. Uematsu is free to be hired by Nintendo, Mist Walker, Capcom, Namco or even Square Enix on a contracting basis. This just means one company does not own him. And it is better this way. Competition always leads to better products.

I mean now it's entirely possible Mr. Uematsu could compose the Legend of Zelda 11's soundtrack, or at least collaborate with Koji Kondo. It's equally possible he could compose the soundtrack to Xenosaga Episode 3 or Shadow Hearts 3 as he could to Final Fantasy 13. Freelancing and competition can lead to interesting things. Much like how no one had to pay Square any royalties when Mr. Amano illustrated for Neil Gaiman and Marvel Comics, since he's a freelancer.

• RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Oct. 30 2004,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Begin, my dear friend. And yes, the flames most certainly will come.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just thought I'd highlight this very accurate prediction.

Guys, Uematsu has been doing the same game series for what, 20 years? ?He's probably looking for something different. ?I've felt he needed to be replaced for the last several games anyway, because it seemed that after FFVIII, the soundtracks were becoming rather lackluster ((FFIX in particular). ?I've heard the clips of FFXII and I'm impressed by the fresh sounds. ?I also own the Black Mages album and I know that Uematsu still has good music in him, he just needed to move on. ?It's most likely that spending so much time on the same series eventually sucked him dry. ?Doing something else (and quite possibly STILL working with Square-Enix!) could very well refresh his talents. ?

This is not a sign of the end of the world. ?New people have to come in eventually. ?Instead of bemoaning older talent moving on (Sakaguchi, Amano, Uematsu), why not see if the new talent can cut it first? ?And actually give them a chance instead of picking it apart? ?

Oh, and if we're going to talk about franchise milking, S-E can't hold a candle to Capcom. ?"Streetfighter 72 XYZ+Sigma+Epsilon+Bob!"

Edited for grammar and spelling.

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Well, it should be noted that Sakimoto both rocks and has done some other square tracks (FFtactics for one). Sakimoto is hardly new talent. Nor is it fair to consider Uemetsu washed up.

A little broader view can give wonderous insights.

Dracos
  • Odin75789Odin75789 Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Ya know I always(almost always) liked his work sad Square losing their flagship music and sound effect producer.

My favorite song writer though would have to go to Susumu Hirasawa. That'd be cool if he produced a coupla songs for the next Final Fantasy.
  • naia28naia28 Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    I agree that Uematsu has started to decline in the later FF games. I mentioned this in one of the music threads, and even suggested that a break would be good. I'm glad he's realizing this. Being a composer I can tell ya that things do get old when you're working on the same thing over and over again. You start to get into a rut of a few ideas and then everything starts to stink. It might be nice to see him write music for a game that is not FF (or Chrono Trigger). I'm not a huge fan of his stuff but for those that are, realize that he's not quitting composing all together. He's just writing music for other games. If anything, he may draw gamers to said games because he would write the music for them. I think it's a good business move.
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    For now Uematsu has gone freelance... I actually want to see him doing solo works unaffiliated with games and goes on produce more vocal albums. Like Phantasmagoria album and his original vocal in Melody of Life single are all tracks that stands out. And I enjoy Love Will Grow and Mahobora album very much. I really think Uematsu has more talent in composng vocal tracks rather than game BGM. And his arrange albums also tends best his OSTs in every possibel way. And do please make another arrange track of My Home, Sweet Home. I am addicted to that track!
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Niu @ Nov. 02 2004,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And his arrange albums also tends best his OSTs in every possibel way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's because he doesn't arrange them. Those arranged albums are just his music; the arrangers are the ones who made them what they are.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And do please make another arrange track of My Home, Sweet Home. I am addicted to that track![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You mean five different versions of it aren't enough?? Wow.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    People pay attention and don't ask for a track to be remixed to death?

*looks over at Evangelion and it's 'fly me to the moon' with like thirty mixes or so*

Dracos
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jormungand @ Nov. 02 2004,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Niu @ Nov. 02 2004,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And his arrange albums also tends best his OSTs in every possibel way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's because he doesn't arrange them. Those arranged albums are just his music; the arrangers are the ones who made them what they are.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Huh? Dera Friend Album he did it himself. Pray and Love Will grow he also did it hismelf. I don't know did he do the FF7&8 arrange himself though. Mahobora and Black Mage he also did it himself. He do hire other sources to do the work, but then, as far as I know, only Cletic Moon and Grand Finale is completly arranged by person other than himself.

And yes, I freaking love My Home, Sweet Home. I was quite pissed a whiel back when he didn't put the track in his concert.
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Niu @ Nov. 03 2004,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Huh? Dera Friend Album he did it himself. Pray and Love Will grow he also did it hismelf. I don't know did he do the FF7&8 arrange himself though. Mahobora and Black Mage he also did it himself. He do hire other sources to do the work, but then, as far as I know, only Cletic Moon and Grand Finale is completly arranged by person other than himself.

And yes, I freaking love My Home, Sweet Home. I was quite pissed a whiel back when he didn't put the track in his concert.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You are way off.

Pray = Risa Ohki, Toshiro Mitsutomi, Masatsugu Shinozaki, Yoshiro Nakamura
    Love Will Grow = Same group as above.
    Black Mages = Kenichiro Fukui, Tsuyoshi Sekito
    Mahoroba = Yuji Hasegawa
    FF7 Reunion = Shirou Hamaguchi
    FF8 FLWV = Shirou Hamaguchi

Dear Friends is the only one he did himself, and that was nothing special.