If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Editorials - A Big Fat Goodbye

Joseph WithamJoseph Witham MemberFull Members
edited November 2004 in Latest Updates
Thanks for being such a great audience over the past year and a half! I wish Dracos the best of luck, and I hope you'll all support him as he pushes this column to new heights!

Read this week's articles here.

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    You've been great Joseph. See ya around the column. =)

Dracos
    The hyperactive.
  • lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Hmm... I don't mean to nitpick, but the two editorials from me were actually all one big piece ;)
    edited November 2004
    Ah. Well, we were trying to puzzle that out and guessed it was a two article series. Sorry about that. We'll try and get in touch next time. =)

Dracos

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Christ, Dracos. No wonder you couldn't go out and buy George Carlin's new book; You were too busy writing editorials! tounge.gif

And you did a good job on them too. I particulary agree with the one on battle music.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited November 2004
    Thanks, Slayer. =)

Dracos
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Dracos, VERY excellent job on all of your editorials. The one saying we need to show game companies what we like and dislike with our money hopefully will get that point across, because i completely agree. The entire article reminds me of a specific episode of "The Critic" where Jay Sherman has a giant speech on English for Cab Drivers saying "If the movie stinks, just don't go!" which can be exactly put into this situation with video games. If the game stinks, just don't buy it (or as you said, return it).

One other point i would have added in that editorial was this: Video game rentals. Blockbuster buys these games for a reason. So that people can play them without buying them! All you have to do is rent a game to see if you like it and hopefully save your data on a memory card. Then, if you like the game enough, you can THEN proceed to buy said game and still have your data that you so conveniently saved on your memory card. A lot of people tend to forget (or at least in my experience) that a different Disc doesn't mean it's a different game. I know it doesn't sound like anyone would think that or do that, but i've actually come across a lot of people who refuse to play their saved games on another persons copy of the same game.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Re: Rebuttal

I probably should have typed in boldface, but.... eh....

My editorial specifically targetted music and not all sounds in general. ?My mentioning here of silence is "musical silence" and not a scene devoid of sound. ?The fact that I mention ICO and use it as one of my main points attests to this. ?The fact is that ICO is not devoid of any sound, rather the only sounds of any form you'll hear most of the time are environmental sounds and the sounds of nature.

I guess I should have clarified that when I made it. ?Oh well.

Edit:

peeks into his Bio

Damn! So that's what you look like! Now I no longer wonder why you're always ready to bite someone's head off...

edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Nov. 03 2004,01:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Re: Rebuttal

I probably should have typed in boldface, but.... eh....

My editorial specifically targetted music and not all sounds in general. My mentioning here of silence is "musical silence" and not a scene devoid of sound. The fact that I mention ICO and use it as one of my main points attests to this. The fact is that ICO is not devoid of any sound, rather the only sounds of any form you'll hear most of the time are environmental sounds and the sounds of nature.

I guess I should have clarified that when I made it. Oh well.

Edit:

peeks into his Bio

Damn! So that's what you look like! Now I no longer wonder why you're always ready to bite someone's head off...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *laughs*

Anyhow though, even pure sound effects aren't really enough. ICO worked because it was short. It'd be an odd choice for a game that's trying to engage my attention for fourty hours or more to not use music among it's methods to acheive this. For most, music backing scenes can produce a far more powerful scene than the exact same scene without it. Picking a random cheap example off the top of my head, the scene in the matrix where Neo and trinity were thrashing agents in the lobby at the start of the final segment could've been given entirely with sound effects, just guns blaring and such. But the music used during the scene contributed greatly to the effect of it being a heroic scene. It gave a texture that wouldn't be there using simply ambience.

Dracos
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Morridor @ Nov. 03 2004,00:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dracos, VERY excellent job on all of your editorials. The one saying we need to show game companies what we like and dislike with our money hopefully will get that point across, because i completely agree. The entire article reminds me of a specific episode of "The Critic" where Jay Sherman has a giant speech on English for Cab Drivers saying "If the movie stinks, just don't go!" which can be exactly put into this situation with video games. If the game stinks, just don't buy it (or as you said, return it).

One other point i would have added in that editorial was this: Video game rentals. Blockbuster buys these games for a reason. So that people can play them without buying them! All you have to do is rent a game to see if you like it and hopefully save your data on a memory card. Then, if you like the game enough, you can THEN proceed to buy said game and still have your data that you so conveniently saved on your memory card. A lot of people tend to forget (or at least in my experience) that a different Disc doesn't mean it's a different game. I know it doesn't sound like anyone would think that or do that, but i've actually come across a lot of people who refuse to play their saved games on another persons copy of the same game.

Danny[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks, Morridor, and that's an excellent point. With all the rental outfits around these days, there's really very little reason not to spend a few extra bucks to try before you buy.

Dracos
    who's rich, lazy, and buys all his games straight out, so didn't think of that! =)
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Joseph, you've done a great job. It's a shame to see you go. Although I have every confidence Dracos will fill your shoes admirably. 8-)

Yeesh, editorial overload! The ones that particularly resonated with me were the battle music and "don't like it, don't buy it!" -- both sentiments I've repeated myself often. About rentals... I should note that renting a game here at a Blockbuster costs about CAN$5 for three days, whereas buying it costs about $80. Personally, I would prefer maybe two bucks for only one day, just to get a good feel for the game, rather than feel pressured to play it as much as possible over three days to get my money's worth. 8p

Although personally, since I only buy 3-4 games a year, I usually stick with what I'm almost positive I'll enjoy. This year (er, starting two weeks ago), for example, I'm going for Star Ocean 3, Xenosaga 2, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, KH2, and FF12. Yes, I'm a big-name guy. If it doesn't have a sequel, it's obviously not good enough. 8p

...OK, just kidding, but it does seem to work out that way most of the time.
    edited November 2004
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Cidolfas. =)

And what can I say? I'm a big believer in getting things started with a bang. =)

Dracos
    Random Quotey goodness, go here. =)
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Nov. 03 2004,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Picking a random cheap example off the top of my head, the scene in the matrix where Neo and trinity were thrashing agents in the lobby at the start of the final segment could've been given entirely with sound effects, just guns blaring and such. ?But the music used during the scene contributed greatly to the effect of it being a heroic scene. ?It gave a texture that wouldn't be there using simply ambience.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A game one off the top of my head, although more generic since it's been a while, is Suikoden II. Great use of music for emotional scenes, and one of the gripes I've heard a fair bit about Suikoden III--which, admittedly, I haven't gotten around to playing more than 5 or 6 hours of--is that those types of scenes are generally lacking music and fall flat.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    God, I'm late to the party ;_;

Too wasted on DayQuil (LIES AND HERESY! This stuff is even stronger!) to comment effectively on any of the editorials, but I must do three things:

1) Congratulate Dracos on his new position
    2) Comment on same's editorials by way of the following. So many editorials @_@
    3) Tip my cap to all others who've submitted for this update. Yeah, both of you smile.gif

Ooogh... all right, nap time again. Toodles! *skitters off*
    edited November 2004
    Thanks Karlinn. =)

Dracos