If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

We need a Flame Board

The GeneralThe General MemberFull Members
edited November 2002 in Site & Forum Support
one where we can just go postal on everyone and everything. everything must be kept within this board, no dragging things onto other boards. it would be quite funny to see even the calmest people on this board just entering to vent their frustrations or to voice their hatred of different things.

it would be totally rules free. just an idea, it would probably be the most popular board on the site.

Comments

• ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    What happened to the 'No Flamming' rule on the message boards?

Say we do get a Flame board. If someone flames you in there, you aren't going to be nice and polite to them in the other areas of the boards, are you? No. It will be Keyboards At Dawn in all the other areas of the board, and we get enough of that already with Desh and The Athenian locking horns.
    biggrin.gif ?Just kidding guys.

A Flame board would destroy this fragile messageboard oasis in the harsh Flame wasteland.

Besides, this is quite a mellow message board... I don't think that there's anyone on here that I would want to flame. ?smile.gif
    Heron Heron Heron
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited October 2002
    No we don't...

Anyway, the Goog War was bad enough. It was all I could do to keep it civil(even tho I didn't start it). If we had a flame board, flaming might spread all over the board, like a forest fire. So, no flame board for me. That Goog bit was enough for me.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • LeonLeon Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    come on, folks. spread love, not hate!
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    i've seen flame boards on other sites that work perfectly fine. as long as everyone understands that the flame board exists in a sort of vaccum.

the flame boards i've seen aren't really nasty, rather funny. everyone goes there to just let themselves go and it creates a rather enjoyable atmosphere.

ah well, perhaps this board is indeed too fragile. i still think it can work if everyone's mature about it...mature about a flame board...yes i see the glaring contradiction
  • wyvernlordwyvernlord Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2002
    Noooo... Not a FLAME forum... But a Rant and Rave forum where you post your worries and dislikes... -.- We don't need ANY flamewars...
    edited October 2002
    hmm the rant and rave might do. but i just want some of the restrictions lifted so we can truly rant on about whatever we want. it would ofcourse be for that particular board. and i'm sure they would need a moderator or maybe two just for a forum like this, or a Flame Board.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2002
    We're not particularly strict on what we don't allow.

We're simply asking everyone to be civil to each other. Why's that so hard? tounge.gif
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I don't think a flame board is necessary/all that great an idea. Sure there are people here who I don't see eye-to-eye with, but I'd never dream of flaming them! There are lots of things online and in RL that bother me, but not to the point of flaming. Of course, that's just me. I've seen flame boards before and they seem rather mean/harsh. I realize that's probably the idea of it, but even if it's all in good fun, what if a person found themselves being talked about in there and didn't think it was so fun after all?

Nah, I'd rather keep this board civil.
    edited October 2002
    i suppose it is respectable that everyone but myself was against this idea...hmm
  • felixleongfelixleong Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leon @ Oct. 04 2002,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"come on, folks. spread love, not hate![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ah! Stop! That gives me the goose bumps!! biggrin.gif (just kidding wink.gif )

A flame board might be a great idea, but certainly not at RPGamer's wink.gif. But really, when flame get all out of control from the Flame board, I think it will spread around the whole message board like wild fire... not to mention a lost of great members.

Besides, there is tons of message boards that are flooded with flames wink.gif.
    edited October 2002
    Felix has a good point.

There are boards out there that are nothing but flamers...

Do we really wanna be one? tounge.gif
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Rant and rave board? Isn't that Miscellaneous? wink.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited October 2002
    At work we have a board called "Head to Head" where it's a no holds barred room where people can say whatever they want. ?The problem is, while the specific board may have no rules, the feelings from the boards stick with each person, and while the people do follow the rules on the rest of the site, you can see they no longer get along.

I've always thought this was a bad idea, as it only encourages people to rant about whatever they want unchecked, but it's more than that. ?Basically, if I want to say something "bad" about someone, I can send them a message. ?There's no need to grandstand in front of the whole community about it.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • LegatoLegato Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    FireMyst makes a great point, anyway why do you have to let loose on a message board? ?Do it at home or email a friend and tell them. ?Some things are not for everyone to see or hear.

• Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Tally my vote against. Even if a flame is not centered on a particular person, it can still offend. The main reason I came to this board was because it was the most civil I had come upon.
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I don't think a flame board per se... but how about a nonsense forum? ...something that, once users have reached, say, 100 posts, they get access to... and it's basically a "be civil, but post whatever you want, like, total nonsese" kinda board. I've seen this on a doom metal board I go to, and it works great... it keeps spam to that board only, and serious discussion in the other boards.
    edited October 2002
    That's what miscellaneous is for wink.gif

Besides, requiring X number of posts would only encourage spam from new users.

Seriously, if you want to post something (as long as it follows the rules), there's really no "bad" or "wrong" forum.
    Unless you're posting something about, say, FF in the DW forum. Then we'll move it. We do it all the time.

Just use a bit of judgement, the forum's open to all sorts of conversation. Our rules are pretty basic and can be summed up as "Common Courtesy" tounge.gif
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Yuck. ?That's pretty much my feelings on a Flame Board. ?Yuck.

...if you have something to say that doesn't have anything to do with the boards, post in the Miscellaneous section. ?Or better yet, send a PM. Or better yet, don't flame people.

• SilverDragon_7SilverDragon_7 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2002
    if we did have a flame board it would be funny to see to people posting messages and fighting , and then it gets so intence that one says to another..."see you in the flame board, 3wow.gif0 sharp, be there or be square" biggrin.gif
  • SilverDragon_7SilverDragon_7 Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2002
    ah crap that was suppose to come out as 3 : 00 o clock wink.gif
  • Daryth DarkmoonDaryth Darkmoon Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I'm definately going to have to be against this topic. A flame board is the last thing we need here. It's bad enough that people feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better in the real world. Let's not give this site the opportunity to bring it in here as well.
This discussion has been closed.