The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

How long have you been a gamer?

13»

Comments

• edited December 2004
    i have been playing video games for about 14 and a half years now and i have loved every second of it, from the mario bros duck hunt combo pack, to Final fantasy XI and Half-Life i have dominated all that has ever come my way, well except for barbie race and ride (the barbie game where u would race horses) that game suked eerrrmmmm.. i mean i wouldnt know what you would do in that game hmm errm LONG LIVE RED XIII

slainmonkeys@msn.com is my email contact me and i shall smite the unworty

o yeah and BAULDERDASH
  • kingofthedragonskingofthedragons Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    hmmmm? well i guess my first system was a commodore 64 way back in the day and I've been hooked ever since.

That was closely followed by the sega master system, I mastered alex the kid and ghouls n ghosts.

Then I had to move on up with the mega drive and a snes!!!

For some reason I also got an amiga cd 32 at a market or something.

Also by this point had a GB

After a long while of md and snes I got a PSX and an N64

On its release date I got a PS2 then the same with the X-box. And got a GBA.

Recently I got a GC to update my collection.

So i guess all in all I've been at it for about 15 years!

Ah memories
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited December 2004
    1989 or so... got an Atari 2600 and a box full of games for free from a family friend.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • PlayerOnePlayerOne Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    About 25 years. I'm not exactly sure when I first played Space Invaders, but I was quite obsessed with it and it was some time before I had my own machines to play on. An Entec LED Space Invader handheld and a Philips Videopac G7000 console (aka Magnavox Odyssey 2 in the US) were the first, I think, although I can't remember which way round. I still have the Space Invader handheld, I'll have to see if it has a date on it.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2005
    See my post on the first page. I gave my answer there.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • EllyElly Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    my siblings and I were given a NES with the Mario and Duckhunt game, I don't think I was in even kindergarden yet, maybe 3 or 4 or so...just getting Mario through level 1 was a big acomplishment.
  • Spiraling FaithSpiraling Faith New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I've been a Gamer since..before I can really remember, but that's not saying much..I can't remember last week..XD I started delving into the world of games on an old table top game (The original D&D) when I was 3. But, if its game systems I was about four when I got an SNES with Mario. We had the regular NES before that, but my oldest brother (Who's 18 yrs older) took from home when he left -.-;. And I never really got to play the SNES, due to the fact that I had two older brothers BUT I watched alot nad if I ever had to play I knew the bottons. I was about 11 when I got my own room and I took my N64 to the room with me, making it mine!! So..I dont really know when I technically became a gamer, but I've always had summin to do with games..

Long rant,
    SF
  • Twinblade55Twinblade55 New Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    I've been gaming for 5 Years. I wasn't into the whole roleplaying thing until I played Paper Mario.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    Hmm, it feels like forever. laugh.gif My brother and I got an NES for christmas when I was 12. That thing took a real workout from us. The two games that really stuck out for me though were Mario Bros. 2 and Dragon Warrior. I was extremely sick with Chicken Pox for 3 weeks and those games really got me through all the itchy terror. laugh.gif
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    Since when I was around five or six with my atari.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Feb. 10 2005,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Since when I was around five or six with my atari.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Woo! Ataris rule! Still, were you really a gamer back then, or was it just a pastime to you?
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2005

What a silly question.

Dracos
  • Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Feb. 15 2005,05:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...

What a silly question.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, I wasn't asking you, so bleh! tounge.gif
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    I have been gaming for 14 years already.

I was 3 when I first played Duch Hunt. I was enjoying every single part of it.

Next time I noticed we bought the SNES and Super Mario World. It was only my second ever game, then playing Game Boy I played through the Super Mario Land 1 & 2 and Tetris Attack. Back then I was a handheld psycho, but I was five or six.

I played Super Metroid in 1994. Fantastic. Possibly Nintendo's best game ever.

Next I played Tetris Attack also for SNES. It is the game I have the 10 second record in Very Hard. I just made a 6 and then came x2, 25; all done. I have never remade that since then.

Super Mario RPG in 1996 was my first RPG (believe it or no it was not Final Fantasy I started into). It also was the first I beat. I was so unexperienced I found it too hard (and some others were kind of hard, but I did not use one thing).

Next I got the N64 and played Super Mario 64. A good game but the same story as ever (though back then I minded little about it).

I played a few N64 and Tetris Attack during 1997 and 1998, until finishing the latter year, I got the PS1 along with my next grand game: Final Fantasy VII, my first experience in the series.

I called off FF7 and started playing TLOZ: Ocarina of Time. Great game, but the finishing battles were quite a letdown, even for a back then unexperienced RPGamer.

In 1999 I returned to FF7 and this time played whole. Totally focused and it was also the first time I actually cried in a game (I will assume anyone who played FF7 know why).

Later (though not so later) I got Final Fantasy VIII. Another quite good experience and a hard one, though I was more experienced, not enough and my recklessness was more obvious into this game than even in SMRPG: when I fought Omega Weapon I fought with all characters in 1 HP.

Back then I was too young and I knew little about that the key in RPG's was your mind skills. I was all courage, sacrifice, sentimental, but never intelligent. Back then I never backed out on the last moment I had to make a move. Now I do back out and think twice. In FF8 I have seen the best music in the whole series to my opinion; a good game, a good story, but with the exception of Squall, too bad characters.

I also played FF Anthology

In 2000 I got FFIX and a rather unpleasant experience, although Ozma was quite a good foe.

In 2001 I finally got the PS2, but FFX was until finishing that year. A good game also, but the characters, excepting Yuna, Auron, Lulu and Kimahri were not so pleasant.

I also played FF Chronicles

In 2002 I played the best game in the GameCube to this point (in my own opinion): Metroid Prime.

In 2003 I got TLOZ: Wind Waker. A good game, but too repetitive and annoying. Also easy fights.

Later came FFX-2. NOT saying it was better than WW I liked it more because no matter what happened you always had something to do.

I also played FF Origins and FFTA.

This year I played KH and Tales of Symphonia. Good games both,no more comments.

Not to mention Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. A wonderful game that had me on the edge of my seat all the time.

Right now I am playing Baten Kaitos.
  • JohnJohn Member Full Members
    edited February 2005
    Gaming for 14.

• ELFanaticELFanatic New Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    I could write a really long winded reply as to the developement of my gaming habits but dude, that's boring. So I'll sum it up quickly.

young.

Too detailed you say? how about this much shorter version below?

eh, I don't really recall. I mean I was into it as a wee lad and then I got out of it and prided myself in the fact that I didnt' game then around 96 and from the greatness of Chrono Trigger I got back into games and I've been faltering ever since but I still play. playing Fatal Frame 2 right now. pretty good game, better than any RPG I'll tell you that! Whoa, why did this whole community suddenly become an angry mob bent on killing me? heh heh.
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    I got my first system when I was 4....that's like 15 years! I feel old.
  • OmegaWyvernOmegaWyvern New Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    hmm for me i think around 14-15 years now tounge.gif
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tigron111 @ Feb. 12 2005,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Feb. 10 2005,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Since when I was around five or six with my atari.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Woo! Ataris rule! Still, were you really a gamer back then, or was it just a pastime to you?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Gaming is a pastime.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • FF ShinobiFF Shinobi Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    Lessee here...
    When I was little I had only heard of video games, my mom was convinced that if we had a game system at home, another kid would bring over "something violent like mortal combat". Then, when I was in second grade, I was going to a babysitter that had an Nes (the SNES was already out at this time.) and another sitter, that we would visit on busy days had a son with an SNES. I guess I started with the Mario/Duck Hunt cartrige.

The kid with the SNES was really into Final Fantasy, and scince my parrents had put so much into teaching me how to read, I was able to keep up and enjoy it, even though the other kids got bored. Other than that, I only really got to play a coupple of arcade machines that were dubbed "child appropriate" (Puzzle Bubble) once in a while.

When I was ten, there was one or two times Dad set up his old Fairchild. Oh, and somewhere in here, I played alot of the Reader Rabbit/Math Rabbit series.

when I was about 13, I was finaly allowed to spend my long saved money on a GBA, and a year or so later we get a PS2, first RPG for it, FF7. Now, I have a Gamecube too. I'm only 16 so I have quite a bit of backlog people are telling me I need to play (Crono games, FF, working on Metroid).
  • AmanoAmano Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    17 years. I'm almost 20 now. It was the Intellivision that got me started, since that's basically how my old man and I spent time together, even if I was only 2. laugh.gif

Would it sound lame if I said games helped me learn how to read?
  • DarionDarion Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    It would only sound lame if Castlevania 2 wasn't the main reason my brother started getting good at reading.

Or if Final Fantasy 2 wasn't the bulk of my reading material when I was like 8 years old.
  • edited April 2005
    lets see i was about three and all the doctors said i had acute ADD but my mom is all no he is just a child so they wanted to perscribe me pills but my mom took it into her own hands and went out and bought me a 13in tv and a regular nintendo and i was hooked ever since...
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    . . .

You were diagnosed with ADD at the age of '3'?

And, in light of this, your parent's response was to buy you a highly distracting game system?

Wow. Just wow. That whole tale is wrong on so many not-right levels.

Dracos
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Anjelika @ Jan. 15 2003,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i knew about nintendo and supernintendo, atari, etc
    but it was until a game named Betrayal at Krondor for PC
    that i started my "gaming career", that was my first rpg ever
    my first FF came second, also for pc: FFVIII, my favorite and most beloved FF
    so i?ve been playing some 3 years ago
    mostly rpg?s mostly for PSX
    [edit: although now i also have ps2, nintendo64, GBA, and recently xbox ][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ive been playing video games since the 2600 atari when it first came out. I got into nintendo, super nintendo, gamboy, gameboy color, Gba, Play station, PS2, and Gamecube. During the nintendo days I had no interest what-so-ever in RPGs. I saw the first Dragon Warrior the very first time, wasn't too crazy about it back in 1990 (even though today I would of loved it), it wasn't until Final Fantasy IV came out, my parents picked the game up randomly, some old neighbor that came over one day to play video games, and played FF IV in front of me. I watched and it grew from there. The funny thing is, from there on out, every FF series following that one, the battle victory song is the same, the opening of every FF series has the same music (I call it the crystal music) or it has the same music theme "<span class="spoiler">at the end when Rosa and Cecil became married.</span>"
  • edited April 2005
    What is a gamer but a player of games?
    Without wanting to sound a complete arse the first game I played (that I can recall lucidly) was chase the goat when I was 3 years old.
    My first tase of rpgs was a book called the warlock of firetop mountain closely followed by D&D around the age of 8 or 9.
    My all time favorite game has to be FFVII I know it's a massive cliche, but nostalgia is a wonderful thing.
    Err FFXII? Are they still making them, are they still living, will I be when it actually gets released in Europe, nope more chance of the sun going supa-nova first!
  • JackalJackal Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600 days. The first thing I played that resembled an rpg was the text adventure game Zork:The Underground Empire. That was around the time Transformers: The Movie came out.

Shortly after that the Nintendo Entertainment System was released and I played the Legend of Zelda while they were still showing those goofy commercials with the guy in black tights yelling "Zelda!" -.-

If you don't consider Zelda an rpg I also played Ultima Exodus a year or two later before I was able to finally play Dragon Warrior.