The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Top 5 RPG's

Comments

• SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shenmaster777 @ Mar. 30 2005,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"sarcasm.gif Ryo had to find sailors. HE WAS IN A HARBOR!!!what do you expect him to say, "Do you know any place where I can find cussing men who work on the sea?"And who would want to see a bunch of pixels go to the bathroom? Who would want to do lengthy QTE's to eat a hamurger, or stab you fork into a steak?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Take it easy bub, I wasnt saying that the game should have some QTEs when Ryo needs to take a dump or eat a burger I just thought it were odd how the guy never has a bite to eat with his family or attempts to play swords with Tom the hotdog guy to decide who bags the chick in the pub
    tounge.gif Ok scratch that last bit
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Skies of Arcadia
    3. Parasite Eve
    4. Persona 2
    5. Phatnasy Star III - my first RPG and one of the best ones I've played
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    Anyone with Parasite Eve on their top 5 list deserves a great deal of respect.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • DiNiDiNi Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    5. Chrono Cross
    What can I say? I'm a sucker for characters, and Chrono Cross had 44 really interesting ones. More than that, though, I loved the overall aesthetic and the music and gameplay. Also, Janice/Orlha/Harle: pure sex.

I was a little disappointed with it, though, but not because of Chrono Trigger (I played that after Cross, actually). When I bought the game, I was expecting multiple endings, branching story paths and 44 characters. Technically, it really was all there, but not how I imagined.

4. Grandia
    Good characters, good gameplay, good music. Yeah, okay, the game got a little too cheesy for its own good, but I still liked it.

Also, points go to Liete,who actually managed to say the coldest thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    I never played Paper Mario on the N64 or Super Mario RPG, so you'll have to forgive me if those are actually better (which is really difficult for me to believe). Ghost Pirates, battles atop a train, Magnus Von Grapple--what's not to love?

2. Final Fantasy X
    About as close as you can get to a perfect game. It had a few hiccups here and there, sure, but those really didn't hurt the overall experience too much. The game was refined to a near-invisible point, and the story was pretty good for an RPG.

It's also worth mentioning that I really liked a lot of the little things that Final Fantasy X did. For example, take the CTB: the newly intoduced backbone for the battle system, you rely on it the entire game. And who does Square get to be the main character? Not a Holy Knight or a Summoner or Black Mage or any of the other well known Final Fantasy archetypes, but a Time Mage: a class whose skillset is based entirely around manipulating the turn order.

1. Jade Cocoon 2
    Sure, it's nowhere near as polished as Final Fantasy X, and it might not have the wonderful atmosphere that Chrono Cross has, but this game just speaks to me. I love the characters and monsters(both in design and personality), I love the repetitive yet addictive gameplay, and I love all the general style.

Honorable Mentions
    Final Fantasy V, VII, X-2 and parts of VIII
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    Chrono Trigger
    Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: Covenant and for some reason Shadow Madness (probably the music and Clemmet).
    Arc the Lad II and III
    Grandia II

edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DiNi @ April 02 2005,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And who does Square get to be the main character? Not a Holy Knight or a Summoner or Black Mage or any of the other well known Final Fantasy archetypes, but a Time Mage: a class whose skillset is based entirely around manipulating the turn order.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Eh.. well, I can guess what you want to say, but is that really true? Some people might argue that Yuna was the main character, and she was a summoner. The rest would probably argue that Tidus certainly wasn't anything but a whiny warrior with Haste and Slow close to his starting point on the grid.

wink.gif

• Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    I'll just copy and paste my list from the last "What's your Fav" thread, too bad the last one was a top 10 thread. I'll just cross out the ones that aren't top 5 worthy.

Super Mario RPG
    <s>Final Fantasy IX</s>
    Shadow Hearts 2
    <s>Star Ocean 2</s>
    Secret of Mana
    <s>Chrono Trigger</s>
    <s>Chrono Cross</s>
    <s>Grandia 2</s>
    Parasite Eve
    Final Fantasy Tactics
  • ArekaineArekaine Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ April 02 2005,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DiNi @ April 02 2005,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And who does Square get to be the main character? Not a Holy Knight or a Summoner or Black Mage or any of the other well known Final Fantasy archetypes, but a Time Mage: a class whose skillset is based entirely around manipulating the turn order.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Eh.. well, I can guess what you want to say, but is that really true? Some people might argue that Yuna was the main character, and she was a summoner. The rest would probably argue that Tidus certainly wasn't anything but a whiny warrior with Haste and Slow close to his starting point on the grid.

wink.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I always got the impression that Yuna was the main character. Her story was just being told through Tidus's point of view. I never really thought of Tidus as being whiny, at least not as much as Squall. As more of just bitching and moaning alot when something came up that he didn't understand
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Arekaine @ April 03 2005,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I always got the impression that Yuna was the main character. Her story was just being told through Tidus's point of view. I never really thought of Tidus as being whiny, at least not as much as Squall. As more of just bitching and moaning alot when something came up that he didn't understand[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was mostly thinking about his voice... didn't really have anything against his personality.

That's beside the point though. Tidus wasn't a time mage. And yeah, I think a lot of people looked at Yuna as the main character, as her role is just as - if not more - central in the plot than Tidus'.

edited April 2005
    But Tidus was a Time Mage, just like how Lulu was a Black Mage and how Yuna was a White Mage. Several of the abilities on his section of the Sphere Grid were the only ones that could affect the turn order bar (Haste, Slow, Delay Buster, Swift Attack, and so on).

And he was the main character, at least as far as gameplay was concerned: you played him, you named him, you listened to him narrate.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DiNi @ April 02 2005,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And he was the main character, at least as far as gameplay was concerned: you played him, you named him, you listened to him narrate. He was the main character.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ah, I see you also worked at the Department of Redundancy Department as well.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, I do that a lot sometimes. It's just something I do.
  • AmanoAmano Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    Sorry, but I'm not too keen on reading through five pages of post to find out if we are doing favorites or best. Gomen.

Fav. Top 5....
    (based on personal appeal)

1. Secret of Mana
    2. Suikoden 2
    3. Tales of Destiny
    4. EarthBound
    5. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lufia II: Rise... (Can't decides are bothersome... but I really can't.)

Best Top 5....
    (based on execution)

1. Suikoden 2
    2. EarthBound
    3. Xenogears
    4. Valkyrie Profile
    5. Final Fantasy VI
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Amano @ April 02 2005,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Secret of Mana
    2. Suikoden 2
    3. Tales of Destiny
    4. EarthBound
    5. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lufia II: Rise... (Can't decides are bothersome... but I really can't.)

1. Suikoden 2
    2. EarthBound
    3. Xenogears
    4. Valkyrie Profile
    5. Final Fantasy VI

(Emphasis added)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now we're talking... wink.gif
  • AmanoAmano Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ April 02 2005,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Amano @ April 02 2005,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Secret of Mana
    2. Suikoden 2
    3. Tales of Destiny
    4. EarthBound

1. Suikoden 2
    2. EarthBound
    3. Xenogears
    4. Valkyrie Profile
    5. Final Fantasy VI

(Emphasis added)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now we're talking... wink.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    For some reason, I was expecting that. biggrin.gif The first one absolutely amazed me. It made me wonder why I hadn't gone out of my way to play it earlier. Kinda of glad I didn't play the series earlier though. I don't think I would have appreciated them as much.
  • zane587zane587 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    1) Chrono Trigger
    2) Sukoden 2
    3) Final Fantasy 7
    4) Star Ocean
    5) Suikoden 1
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DiNi @ April 02 2005,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But Tidus was a Time Mage, just like how Lulu was a Black Mage and how Yuna was a White Mage. Several of the abilities on his section of the Sphere Grid were the only ones that could affect the turn order bar (Haste, Slow, Delay Buster, Swift Attack, and so on).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Who's to say I didn't teleport Lulu over to Aurons starting point on the grid? I say Lulu is a fighter!
  • ArekaineArekaine Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    Ah. You did that too huh?
    edited April 2005
    Well, that'd be the first Time Mage in RPG history that spent 90% of his time attacking or using limit breaks instead of acting like a support character...
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited April 2005
    I'll go one further: some make Tidus into a Time Mage, others Lulu into a fighter...then there is Yuna, who with her ultimate summons, can make the round trip across the whole board in virtually no time flat, effectively making her a goddess.

Now, to just fill in those damn luck spheres on the grid... >.<
  • KalvKalv Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    Top 5
    1) Xenogears
    - Had very well thought out plot twist, and a over all enjoyable gameplay/story.

2) Shadow hearts convenant
    - Probaly my favorite rpg for the ps2, great story/character development and the judgement ring made battles very entertaining ).

3) Tales of Symphonia
    - has a long drawn out story, but in the end thought it was very enjoyable, battle system is probaly what i loved most about it, reminded me of star ocean 2/3.

4. Grandia II
    - loved the battle system, and really was able to get into the characters, first rpg i played for the ps2, overall very enjoyable.

5. Final fantasy 7
    - Probaly my favorite final fantasy up to this point, enjoyed the simple battle system, and plot

kalv - bored rpg gamer
  • HBKHBK Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    1. Final Fantasy VI - hands down the best rpg ever made.. Now if only Squaresoft would realize this and create something at least remotely similar to this

2. Chrono Trigger - a close 2nd to FFVI, but of course, this is still an uber enjoyable experience to play

3. Suikoden 1 & 2 - i can't really say 2 is better because I kinda had more of a blast playing 1 for some odd reason. Also, i loved the 2 person combo of the hero and kai which equalled instant destruction of the enemy.. damn i still remember i restarted this game midway through because i missed the part wherein you could get kwanda

4. Front Mission 3 - since FFT was mentioned, I'll throw this one in. Ive played both but I had more fun playing this one because of its customization options and really long story. There's a hell of a lot of missions, and that's just for one of the two possible characters you can play as.. replay value is definitely through the roof in this one as it never gets boring

5. Lufia 1 - Hmm... graphics? nope... storyline?.. nada... no cheesiness? nope as well... so why do i like it? simple.. coz it's sooo fun to play and has always been a sentimental favorite of mine... I've seen a lot of poor reviews on this one, but damn.. playing this was just a blast.. having a good ol time, not worrying too much about the seriousness about most rpg's.. it also has its fair share of puzzles which are pain-staking sometimes. beat this game thrice and up to now, i still want to replay it.. so this makes my list coz it's my all time favorite in terms of appeal =)

Honorable mentions:
    Lunar series - this would have been 6th
    Wild Arms series - 7th
    Breath of Fire 1 & 2 - 8th
    Super Mario RPG - 9th
    Shenmue 1 & 2 - if it counts, then 10th
    Xenogears- still playing through it so can't really rank it yet
  • beowulf_viibeowulf_vii Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    5. Tie: Final Fantasy X/X-2
    The first had one of the most mature storylines ever seen in the genre. The second continued the trend, and took it so far that the "save the world" mechanic became so unimportant that they really didn't need to add it at all.

4. Final Fantasy VIII
    Two words: Angel Wing. If you're laughing, it's because you, (like most people), don't know how to use it. Look it up in a good FAQ. Trust me: Rinoa is God.

3. Skies of Arcardia
    I love the Discovery system, and the ship battles are a blast.

2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Why couldn't we get Bowser's original win pose?

1. Xenogears
    Sacralege, "<span class="spoiler">murder, schizophrenia, megalomania, incest, prostitution, megadeath, crucifixion, deicide, matricide, cannibalism, sex, nudity,</span>" and a furry orgy. 'Nuff said.

Honorable Mentions:
    Final Fantasy IX (ViVi rocks)
    Guild Wars (Strategic, skill-based combat)
    Legend of Mana (too bad the final boss can be 1-hit KO'd...)
  • shadekhshadekh Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    My top 5:

1) Chrono cross
    2) Valkyrie profile
    3) Chrono trigger
    4) Final fantasy 7
    5) Suikoden III
  • Ced The LadCed The Lad Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Uhh Let's see. Here's mine.

Favorite 5:

1. Suikoden 2
    2. Xenogears
    3. Chrono Trigger
    4. Final Fantasy 6
    5. Suikoden 1

Best 5:

1. Xenogears
    2. Suikoden 2
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Final Fantasy 6
    5. Chrono Trigger

Oh Suikoden fans. I have confirmed information on suikoden 5. We've already been discussing it in our site, but It's better when more people know about it.

Enjoy and you're welcome.

http://dgs-online.nl/image.asp?id=28619
  • Greg25Greg25 Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Hello everyone! I am new to this board, but have been reading RPGamer's site for a few months. Excellent stuff. My name is Greg, and I've been playing RPGs since FF I wayyy back on the NES. Anyway, its nice to meet you, and if you don't mind, I'll jump in on this conversation.

My top five favorite RPGs of all time, in exact numerical order are :

5.) Final Fantasy IV - the reason is simple. I was a young kid (12 years old), when I had a yard sale on my front lawn in order to raise money for games. I enjoyed playing Dragon Warrior I & FF I so much a few years prior, that I just HAD to buy FF IV (then II in the states). I was not disapointed to say the least. Golbez was an awesome villian, until a little secret near the end was revealed, which I won't say, just in case some of you guys haven't played it. The veterans here know what I'm talking about. Good graphics for the time also. I loved the remake for PS 1, although some did not. Why? Because the characters were given better speech, and some cool sub-moves were added for each charrie. 'Nuff said.

4.) Lunar II Eternal Blue - I truly became immeresed in this storyline, with the beautiful anime cut-scenes, and a soundtrack that I enjoyed. The battle system left something to be desired, but I just had to include this gem on my list. Plus, has there ever been a cooler villian then Ghaleon?

3.) Chrono Trigger - what hasn't been said about this ultimate in gaming title? BEST. SOUNDTRACK. EVER. Excellent playability, and an awesome storyline. I even enjoyed the PS 1 remake, although the loading times are painfully slow. But hey, with the added cut-scenes, I can't complain. One last note. Magus RULES!

2.) Shadow Hearts : Covenant - okay folks, here is the deal. I'm playing through it now. So, you're probably wondering why I listed it? Simple. Any game that stands out and blows you're mind away in the first 10 hours, through epic story telling, and one of the best battle systems around HAS to be on the list. And it'll only get better! If you haven't played this title yet, get it. Now.

1.) Final Fantasy IX - this game is my all-time favorite baby, one that I've played and beaten over ten times, with full mastery of every aspect of the game. The story was so cool that I pulled back-to-back all-nighters just to immerse myself into a true gem. This game had mixed reviews, but I say to all of the nay-sayers: convince me otherwise. I love this game to the point that even SH: Covenant doesn't come close.

Honorable Mentions -

Dragon Warrior III & VII (NES & PS1 respectively)

Final Fantasy VI & VII (quick note. I'll get heat for this, but VII, while very good, is NOT the coming of the messiah like some think)

Shadow Hearts I & Lunar : SSS

Well, that wraps up my list. It was a pleasure talking to you guys, and thank you!

-Greg
  • SetzerSetzer New Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Don't post here often but thought I would add my top 5 to this thread...

1. Final Fantasy VI(SNES)
    2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic(Xbox)
    3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    4. Baldur's Gate II(PC)
    5. Final Fantasy IX(PS1)
  • XenoXenoXenoXeno New Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    5. Genso Suikoden - The game that made me love the Suikoden series. When I first heard the idea of 108 characters, I was wondering how it'll work out. Though you weren't able to use all 108 characters, they still had their uses. I took a blind chance when I bought this game not knowing whether it'll be good or bad, but Konami has never let me down. And they didn't.

4. FF X - This game for me lived up to the hype for me for the next gen console (PS2). I loved all the new changes they did for this game. The sphere system to me is still the best leveling up system. And I liked the whole Grandia type idea about where you can see who's turn is next giving you time to plan your moves. I also like the idea of each character having their own specialties, but then can upgrade to others (like Yuna can be a melee). It'll take time, but it's fun. Weapon/Armor building was very fun also.

3. Chrono Trigger - Oh my God I remember when I used to save up my allowance money just to buy this game. It costs me around $70!!!! To a middle schooler, that's a lot of money. But it was all worth it. I enjoyed every bit of it. The characters was awesome, story's great, and music's off the wall. And I totally loved the idea that Crono doesn't have to be in the party all the time. I mean he has to in the beginning, but not later in the game. I remembered while playing the game, I was wondering and hoping that I would be able to use Magus. And it was bitter sweet when I found out that I could. Plus the idea of multiple endings made it cool to play it again. Especially with the most ingenius idea ever thought of, New Game +!!!! That very idea made want to play the game over and over regardless of the multiple endings. The fact that I can come back and own the bosses that gave me so much trouble with no trouble sounds rather good. A worthy game in the RPG Hall of Fame.

2. Xenogears - Being a Christian, what can I say about this game.........IT'S HECKA FUN!!!!! I mean Mechs and Religion??? Who would've thought it could work out.....lolz. This game had an original battle system, loveable characters, deep story, and wonderful music. Though it can be confusing, it was fun to find out about the plot twists as the story goes on. If this game came out like how the director originally planned, this would've been my #1. If Square didn't pull the funds on Xenogears, Disc 2 would've been A LOT better. Besides Xenosaga (which I believe Xenogears is part of), I have yet to see or like a RPG that have the concept of mechs in it. Plus, Fei's one of very few (if not only) main characters that fights with his fist rather than weapons. As a martial arts person, I find that to be cool.

1. FF VI (FF III US)- This game practically made me into a RPG fiend. It have lots of characters and each its own backstory and special ability. The story, characters, world, and music are all excellent.

Honorable mentions:

Chrono Cross - Worthy sequel to the Chrono series. Loved everything about it just like Chrono Trigger.

Suikoden II - Worthy sequel to the Suikoden series. Took everything Suikoden had and made it 5x better.

FF VII - This is practically why most non-RPGamers turn heads to love the genre. It practically helped the PSone succeed.

• edited September 2005
    1. Final Fantasy 8
    2. Suikoden 1
    3. Final Fantasy 3 or 6 whatever
    4. Suikoden 2
    5. Final Fantasy 7

There's just so many great RPG's out there but I guess I just had those most fun with these ones. =p ^_^
  • IceGryphonIceGryphon Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Chrono Trigger, FFIV, Wild ARMs 1, Suikoden 1/2 (i consider them one game), last one is tough...would be a toss up between a lot and I'd have to really think about it. So therefore you only get 4.
  • edited September 2005
    Aright! These are my favorites;

1) Sukoden 2
    2) Breath of Fire 5: Dragon's Quarter
    3) Grandia 2
    4) Final Fantasy 9
    5) Shining Force 2