If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Konami Reveals Suikoden V

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited September 2005 in Latest Updates
The 108 Stars of Destiny will shine once again, as Konami has revealed that another Suikoden game is on its way.

Story here.

Scans here.

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2005
    Let me put on my surprised face.

wow.gif
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2005
    I see the hero's weapon is like Nanami's from Suikoden II...

Glad they're exploring new territory in the Suikoden universe. I've pretty much infused myself into the series, and hope it comes here.

I wonder which of the 27 True Runes will play part in this game, and when it'll take place.

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited September 2005
    You know, before IV was released, I would have greeted this announcement with enthusiastic applause.

Now...now I am doing all I can to remain at the "cautiously optimistic" level.
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I have to agree with the post on this subject over at the (still active, BTW) old RPGamer boards: with the main character being a member the Queendom of Falena (I'm sticking with the translation used in S2 for now), it should be a female. Sure, a queendom can have a prince just like a kingdom can have a princess, but this would be as good a time as any for a female main.
  • BleakBleak New Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(King Jowy XXII @ Sep. 02 2005,16:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"You know, before IV was released, I would have greeted this announcement with enthusiastic applause.

Now...now I am doing all I can to remain at the "cautiously optimistic" level.[/QUOTE]
    Wow, you said it. Suikoden IV had the potential I think, but it just seemed like there were so many god awful design flaws that probably could have been fixed by some focus testing. Didn't anyone pick up that sailing around nonstop with frequent random battles wasn't very fun?

As far as Suikoden V goes, it'll probably be an anticipated RPG for me. The optimistic way of looking at it is that they'd have to screw up big time to make it worse than IV was.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2005
    That queen looks alot like Jean...
    I think we can all agree Jean has a true rune, so it would be interesting if the game explored some of her backround.

Was Jean a queen of faleena at one point in her life?

Let the speculation begin.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"with the main character being a member the Queendom of Falena (I'm sticking with the translation used in S2 for now), it should be a female. [/QUOTE]

The main character (left side) is male.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The hero of the story is her son who, after a certain event, gets dragged into the center of the story.[/QUOTE]

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The only other character revealed is Rion, bodyguard to the hero. Trained under the best teachers in the land, she is an exceptional swordswoman.[/QUOTE]

The girl with the sword.
    sup?
  • LinkOcarinaManLinkOcarinaMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Suikoden IV was a bit of a disappointment (I still enjoyed it as an RPG, but after the masterpiece that was Suikoden III I couldn't help but feel a little let down)

However, with that said. I still can't wait for this game. Suikoden owns my soul.
  • xddgaxddga Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    *looks at scan* omg, no more boats!!! *runs and hides*

seriously, after IV, I hope to god no other RPG ever uses an ocean like world map again. IV had potential, it really did, but just felt too rushed. I just hope they learned their lesson from that game and turn V into something worthwhile.

I think I'll give this game the benefit of the doubt, but if this disapoints, they're gonna lose a fan.

Now if Campcom would just make another Breath of Fire game, I'd be a very happy camper.

edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Sep. 02 2005,18:38)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"with the main character being a member the Queendom of Falena (I'm sticking with the translation used in S2 for now), it should be a female. [/QUOTE]

The main character (left side) is male.[/QUOTE]
    What they were saying is that the main character SHOULD be female since the game takes place in a Queendom, not that the character LOOKS female. (Though he most certainly does...)
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(xddga @ Sep. 02 2005,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"seriously, after IV, I hope to god no other RPG ever uses an ocean like world map again.[/QUOTE]
    And to think that people love to whine and cry about world maps not being in today's RPGs...

I agree. That world map served little but to artificially boost playing time by a few hours, given the presence, I think, of only about 2 or 3 real dungeons.

Not that Suikoden III's map system was any better...

• TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I believe it was stated somewhere that Jeane does not have a True Rune... but it's been so long since I've read extensively that I don't remember.

I personally believe the ocean worldmap had some potential, but the way it was implemented in IV was just maddening, in addition to missing many of the cool features that could have made it a lot more fun.

I really hope it has something to do with the Suikoden big story this time though... I will definitely hold off until I read the reviews (and actually believe them, this time. Hehe.)
  • xddgaxddga Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I actually didn't mind 3's world map, although it sucked having to go through the same place 900 times. although it'd be better if it was just random encounters (like in FFT) or you could press X to go to that place if you felt like it). thankfully the encounter rate was rather low and you only had to go through 2 screens at most...

as far as the normal world map vs. point and click interface is concerned, it doesn't bother me really. just as long as it's done in away where it's not annoying or a pain in the ass as far as the player is concerned. I like the point and click interface really, just as long as I don't have to worry about random encounters (like in FFT), where i saved on every town and soft rested if I got in a fight if I just wanted to move the story along), but just as long as I'm given the option to fight there if I wanted to (like stop there and hit a button to engage in fight).

I really think Suikoden IV would have benefited from a system like that, as opposed to try and navigate there and fight like 500 battles to get from point A to point B, which gave me like no exp each fight... i think ppl would have really liked the game more. well, that and if the main hero wasn't so... retarded looking.

I'm looking forward to this game, although I'm going to hold off a bit in order to see if it's really worth it to buy. The suikoden series has so much to offer, it's just a shame konami just passes it off and rushes the products...
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I will probably buy this, simply because it's a Suikoden game, and I am madly in love with Suikoden in general, but if it was any other series, I would have said no thank you to Mr. Konami when he came to the door asking for my donation.

As King Jowy XXII said, IV was such a disappointment that I'm not really sure that I can get excited for another Suikoden game. ?I really like I, II, and III's style, how they had a mostly linear plot with characters that carried over. ?I guess if IV had been released in sequence (which I know is impossible), I might have liked it more. ?And I missed having six fighters in my party. ?And the random encounters on the world map were annoying. ?And there weren't any dungeons. ?And the MC of IV looked like someone beat him with an ugly stick. ?A lot.

But then again, I guess Konami knows that Suikoden caters to the obsessive crowd. ?We're the gamers that just have to get all 108 stars no matter what. ?And they know that we'll just keep coming back to the games time and time again so that we can say we've got 'em all. Bleh.
    edited September 2005
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"What they were saying is that the main character SHOULD be female since the game takes place in a Queendom, not that the character LOOKS female. (Though he most certainly does...)
    [/QUOTE]

My bad, I thought he was saying the main character was femme. Hell, I thought so too till I read the article. [sarcasm]Hurray for more girly male main characters! [sarcasm/]

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I believe it was stated somewhere that Jeane does not have a True Rune... [/QUOTE]

I just figured that, according to suikoden lore, you had to have a true rune to be immortal. Not sure how she's doing it without one.

Meh, with the original writer gone, we may never truly know.
    sup?
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Yeah, I'm certainly curious to see how this one turns out. I'm among with those who are cautiously optimistic.

I actually stayed away from IV, based on reviews and all the talk of "high random encounters on a slow-moving boat". However, it's been so long since I played III that I'm finding myself tempted to go pick it up anyway, just to be able to play another entry in the series.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    A part of me wants to once again smile over Suikoden, but a part of me also wants to die....
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MeoTwister5 @ Sep. 03 2005,02:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"A part of me wants to once again smile over Suikoden, but a part of me also wants to die....[/QUOTE]
    Slightly dramatic, Meo, but well-spoken.

Suikoden was the series that was finally poised to topple Final Fantasy, in my mind. It had a vast, epic feel, amazing main characters, awesome supporting cast (even Sarah the laundry woman! You KNOW you loved fetching her soap for her! -_-;) fantastic music and sound effects, and grand, dramatic battles that, while simplistic, gave a sense of inclusion in a large and fantastic world.

The Tolkein-esque level of detail involved in every aspect of the world's many nations, as well as details as to how those nations interacted with one another in a fantasy setting where "magic" is a bit more spiritual than simple academics, made Suikoden one of the greatest games ever made, and let those that complain and whine about the lack of standard-gen or new school graphics be damned.

The series had a great deal of personality, but that is all being lost now by a company that spent most of the 32-bit wars producing SPORTS titles. This is relevent only because it shows just how messed-up Konami's business model has always been. With great titles like Policenauts sitting in the wings in Japan, we instead get In the Zone 96. -_-;;

That same model takes what is already good about their games that somehow (mistakenly?) make it to localization and throws those ideas out the window in favor of a more streamlined, mainstream approach.

2D graphics are bright and expressive? Too-bad! Near-sepia toned 3D and bland landscapes you shall have!

Live orchestral soundtracks were a breakthrough in console RPG gaming? Hah! Back to the computers with OUR music!

Great military battles inspire the player to take on the role of a leader of rebels? Guess it's time to dumb that down to more party vs party encounters in SIII...oh, and see just how close we can come to ripping off Skies of Arcadia for SIV's!

Our battle system is the envy of all other RPG developers? Players love its simplicity, speed, and number of characters? Quick! Pair up the characters and then reduce the number in the sequel! Our cutomers are in danger of having their expectations met!

-_-; Call it nitpicking if you want, but I see these as MAJOR problems. It is almost as if Konami WANTS Suikoden to fail. Did I mention that my local Game Crazy has ten copies of Suikoden IV on sale for $14.99, brand new. Just sitting there?

There are few topics in gaming that can make me overly emotional and really spark great joy / intense anger like Suikoden...mostly, though, I guess it just makes me sad.

edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Sep. 03 2005,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I just figured that, according to suikoden lore, you had to have a true rune to be immortal. Not sure how she's doing it without one.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, there are other ways. For example, Sierra was immortal even after Neclord took the Blue Moon Rune from her. Because even without a True Rune, she's still a vampire.

And with Jeane, we don't actually know for sure whether they're actually all the same person. Or if she's really human.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2005
    It looks like the character designs are from the artist who did the designs for II and III. I could be wrong, though. I'd need to see better images before I could make a determination.

I would also like to second King Jowy XII's complaint about the modified battle system in the later games. The battle system for I and II was an excellent system. I don't understand why they changed it.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited September 2005
    III's battle system wasn't as good as I & II, but it at least still had 6 party members at a time. Only being able to use 4 at a time makes trying out everybody a real pain when there are dozens of playable characters.
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Not to mention trying to unlock all of the combo attacks. ?Not only do you have to have the characters in the same party for ten battles before the combo is even unlocked, but because you can only have four characters, you have to do even more party switching to accomplish it.

Give me six characters or give me death! smile.gif
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ Sep. 03 2005,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The battle system for I and II was an excellent system. I don't understand why they changed it.[/QUOTE]
    You know, that has been gaming's biggest mystery, as far as I am concerned. Even RPGamers who played Suikoden and didn't like it had nothing but praise for the battle system. It made random encounters fun and unpredictable with room for as much or as little creativity as you wanted.

I can only think of two possible reasons for the change:

1. Shortcut: set up an AI module based off of I and II's "free will" command for the secondary and tertiary party members in III and you have an easy way of cutting time and cost. Then, by IV, they "wised up" (if you can call it that) and just cut two members from the party.

2. Innovation: or rather, the dumpy moron in the corner they stapled an "innovation" sign on and told to come up with a new battle system. That could be it.

Either way, the system wasn't broken, but they decided to try and fix it.

Smooth.

• TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Yep, I really have to agree with most of King Jowy's criticisms. Here's hoping they mend their ways in the future.
    edited September 2005
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"And with Jeane, we don't actually know for sure whether they're actually all the same person. Or if she's really human. [/QUOTE]

That's one of my main beefs with the "new" suikoden franchise; We're never going to learn all the game's mysteries.

Oh yeah, I also want to add that we may never know what the deal is with Pesmerga and Yuber.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Suikoden was the series that was finally poised to topple Final Fantasy, in my mind. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a series that completely relied story and characters to carry itself, rather then wowing people with awesome graphics and jive talking stereo typed black men.
    sup?
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Sep. 03 2005,20:23)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Oh yeah, I also want to add that we may never know what the deal is with Pesmerga and Yuber.[/QUOTE]
    If I recall an old interview in Jump, "<span class="spoiler">Pesmerga is a fallen knight of Holy Harmonia whom blames Yuber for his fall. Exactly what happened was kind of muddy, but it seems that Georg Prime was also somehow involved.</span>"

It's too much of a hole to leave empty...but taking Konami's most recent lapses in judgment into account, they may just skip right over it in favor of hitting us with more "whimsical" animorphic races.
    edited September 2005
    I seem to recall one of the characters from the first suikoden having faleena backround. Something about him killing the queen. It would be cool if they went into that.
    sup?
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Sep. 04 2005,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I seem to recall one of the characters from the first suikoden having faleena backround. Something about him killing the queen. It would be cool if they went into that.[/QUOTE]
    Prolly Georg Prime again...he's the only chracter I know of with any ties to the Queendom.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I'd actually would want to know now the timeframe of this game in relation to the others, so I can start to speculate about recurring characters and family trees.

But most of all I want Viki. Bobdammit you can't have Suikoden without Viki!! tounge.gif
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I've half a mind to pretend this doesn't exist, but since I bought Suikoden IV mostly to give my money to Konami to better the series in the future, I 'spose I'd better check it out. If it sucks for the third time in a row, I'm starting a petition to fire everyone responsible for this garbage.

Oh, and everything Jowy has said has been perfectly stated 100% truth.
  • shadekhshadekh Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    i dont know. I loved suikoden 2, and also adored suikoden 3. he only fault with suikoden 3 was its rather weird "pair" system, imho, and its relatively poorere story. However, i liked the skill system as it really helped differentiate between chars, as well as the trinity system which made for great gameplay twists. S3 is one of the betetr ps2 rpg's out there.

Not so s4, which was probably one of the worst rpg's i ever bought. However, i hold hope for this one. Should this fail, i doubt i will continue with the series.