If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Konami Reveals Suikoden V

2»

Comments

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Sep. 04 2005,04:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If it sucks for the third time in a row...[/QUOTE]
    Are you including SuikoGaiden or Tactics in that timeline? Or are you including SII?

~hopes not~ sad.gif
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(King Jowy XXII @ Sep. 04 2005,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Sep. 04 2005,04:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If it sucks for the third time in a row...[/QUOTE]
    Are you including SuikoGaiden or Tactics in that timeline? ?Or are you including SII? ?

~hopes not~ ? sad.gif[/QUOTE]
    I believe knight was saying that if Suikoden V sucks, it'll be the third game in a row to do so (III, IV & then V).
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Optimism? :\

Where's the line for sheer unvarnished negativity with a healthy helping of "Come on, you've shown us nothing but the ability to smash a franchise down since 3."

Dracos
    Who'll save his money for actually hearing positive things.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Prolly Georg Prime again...he's the only chracter I know of with any ties to the Queendom.
    [/QUOTE]

Yep.

www.suikosource.com

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Georg Prime (Teni Star)
    Origin: Queendom of Falena
    Position: Ex-General
    Events: Succession War, Dunan Unification War
    Georg was once a Queen's Knight in the kingdom of Falena, but was blamed to have murdered the queen and became a fugitive (He really did kill her though). Since then, he became the leader of the Ebony Moon Knights in the Grasslands, and then was recruited by Barbarossa Rugner as one of his Six Great Generals during the Succession War. After the Succession War was over, he left because he had "fulfilled his promise." He then fought against Highland during the Dunan Unification Wars. He is one of the best swordsman known in the lands.
    [/QUOTE]
    sup?
    edited September 2005
    Ding ding ding ding! Yay! I win a healthy dose of cynicism and sadness courtesy of Konami!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Sep. 04 2005,04:55)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I've half a mind to pretend this doesn't exist, but since I bought Suikoden IV mostly to give my money to Konami to better the series in the future, I 'spose I'd better check it out. ?[/QUOTE]
    You do realize how awful that logic is. It doesn't line up with Konami's view at all. They see it as: It was good enough to get your money, we'll keep all the profits and keep crankin these suckers out so you keep paying like the poor dumb saps you are.

btw, when was the last time Konami produced something that people generally consider good? I can't remember anymore...seriously.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(watcher @ Sep. 05 2005,05:15)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"btw, when was the last time Konami produced something that people generally consider good? I can't remember anymore...seriously.[/QUOTE]
    I can.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Slayer of God @ Sep. 05 2005,05:31)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(watcher @ Sep. 05 2005,05:15)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"btw, when was the last time Konami produced something that people generally consider good? I can't remember anymore...seriously.[/QUOTE]
    I can.[/QUOTE]
    That's right, all. Just because ONE dev team at Konami sucks does not mean that they ALL do. Slayer gives us all pause to stop and consider what gems that even the modern-day incarnation of Konami is capable of offering us. ^_^
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(King Jowy XXII @ Sep. 04 2005,03:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Sep. 04 2005,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I seem to recall one of the characters from the first suikoden having faleena backround. Something about him killing the queen. It would be cool if they went into that.[/QUOTE]
    Prolly Georg Prime again...he's the only chracter I know of with any ties to the Queendom.[/QUOTE]
    Yep, that was Georg Prime. He was a Queen's Knight of Falena at the time. Apparently Killey (Lorelai's rival) was also involved in the assassination.

Lorelai's from Falena too, and IIRC that blind fist-fighter from Suikoden I whose name escapes me used to be a gladiator in the Queendom. So we actually have a fair number of characters tied to the place already.

I'm wondering if this game will be set around the time of the Queen's assassination, with Georg and Killey joining the main character's group.
    edited September 2005
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That's right, all. Just because ONE dev team at Konami sucks does not mean that they ALL do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the MGS and Castlevania teams seem ok, and I'm hoping that Silent Hill 4 will be the only mishap from the SH guys. I'd really hate to see the SH games drop in quality.
    sup?
    edited September 2005
    Silent Hill 4 was nowhere near as bad as everyone seems to claim, though. Inasmuch as it was a detachment from the town itself and more of an explanation of the "fallout" from interaction with those of the Order, I think it handled quite well on its own.

See, if Suikoden IV were as rich a departure from its own series as SH4 was from the rest of Silent Hill, I would have very few complaints I am sure.
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Red XIV @ Sep. 05 2005,08:30)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm wondering if this game will be set around the time of the Queen's assassination, with Georg and Killey joining the main character's group.[/QUOTE]
    I hope not. One failed foray into the past is one too many for me. Two would be lethal.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Suikoden V? Wow...I really want to see how it turns out. ^^
    edited September 2005
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Silent Hill 4 was nowhere near as bad as everyone seems to claim, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's faults are comparable to Suikoden 3 I'd say, and look what happened just one game afterwards. I'd hate for SH 5 to be the Suiko 4 of the series, if you know what I mean. It could happen.

It's like you said with Suiko3, they started "fixing" things that didn't need fixing. Like limiting your inventory space to make it more like resident evil, giving you a "power up" bar when you swung melee weapons, and focusing more on the main villian's history, instead of developing the lead, and overall, just not having as interesting a plot as the first 3.

So while these things weren't exactly deal breakers, it's what's going to be done with SH 5 that may have me worried.
    sup?
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Slayer of God @ Sep. 05 2005,05:31)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(watcher @ Sep. 05 2005,05:15)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    I can.[/QUOTE]
    So can I.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Sep. 05 2005,22:04)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"So can I.[/QUOTE]
    It is precisely that kind of focus that screwed Konami up in the first place. It may not be "stopping the dam" right now, no, but I still don't appreciate ANY sports title they waste money on when Policenauts sits ignored.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I'm not sure I agree with you there, Jowy. Unlike In the Zone or Bottom of the Ninth, Winning Eleven / Pro Evolution Soccer is actually good; that's probably why 1,042,234 Japanese folks bought the previous iteration in the series last year.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis