If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden V - Tokyo Game Show Impression

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited September 2005 in Latest Updates
RPGamer's Japan Correspondent Paul Koehler recently had an opportunity to play Suikoden V at the Tokyo Game Show. Today, we bring you his impression of this upcoming PlayStation 2 title.

Impression is here.

Comments

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Yup. We'll see. Fingers crossed and all that.
  • YoukoYouko Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    That stuff about setting up tactical formations in your menu sounds most intriguing.
  • ShivanShivan Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I really hope, this one ,will be a masterpiece smile.gif
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2005
    A pity you couldn't play more of the battles.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    After Suikoden IV, forgive me if I am still skeptical about Suikoden V.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2005
    10 minutes of a (possibly) 50 hour long game isn't much of a preview, add to the fact that there were no battles involved. I really really hope they knock this one out of the park.
    sup?
  • Starky27Starky27 Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    The TGS trailer got me hooked. This one looks like it could be awesome, pity the battles couldn't be demoed though, the return to 6 person battles and different formations look great...
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    The 'Queen of Fal-' image on the sidebar is broken.

mmm...

My prejudice is high, my game library is stuffed, and my time is short.

Me thinks if they do not produce a legend, my eyes shall never find even the time to dismiss it.

Dracos
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    It's not, our hotlinking script is just kind of buggy right now.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Now I'm glad I opted not to wait two hours to play the darn thing. I did watch the video for a while, and the battles looked promising from what I saw.
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Hehe, although, having watched the 10-minute trailer... there was more good drama story content in just the trailer than I remember in all of IV.

The whole thing looks better done than Suikoden IV. Nonetheless, I'll check the ratings before buying it.
  • kaserdankaserdan Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Starky27 @ Sep. 22 2005,19:36)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The TGS trailer got me hooked. ?This one looks like it could be awesome

the return to 6 person battles and different formations look great...[/QUOTE]
    Did you all watch the 10 minutes trailer ?

I'm telling you : THIS is the Suikoden we all waited for since #2. (Although 3 was still very good even with its differences).

The battle systems looks like Suikoden 2 and the characters + Graphx are awesome.

This will be the bomb ! I'll buy it the first day !

• Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies to the impression! Seriously, Konami deserves to be slapped for not allowing a chance to play battles at the show. They were able to do it for Suikoden III at E3 2002, and Suikoden Tactics (er, I mean, Rhapsodia?) had different consoles starting at different battles within the game.

Plus, the employees were really being strict about timelimits, and unfortunately they had to be...Suikoden V was probably the most popular non-Square-Enix title out there.

Nevertheless, we do with what we can. If you take a look at my previous blog entries, those pics from the Suikoden V booth were only doable because we had press access, thanks to those nifty stickers some of the companies. I wish I could tell you more, but for now, this is what we have.

More impressions are forthcoming. Thanks again.

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(kaserdan @ Sep. 23 2005,05:06)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm telling you : THIS is the Suikoden we all waited for since #2.[/QUOTE]
    That's a pretty big boast/promise. Of course we all hope that you're right, but it seems VERY premature to make that declaration now. If you're going to put a game up against Suikoden II, arguably the greatest RPG ever crafted, it had better be pretty damn good.
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    It's good to hear that one of the many problems that plagued the previous games has been solved. ?At least it has a standing chance, it's kind of cheap that you could never get to the gameplay in battle. ?Though I hope the demo was not arranged in such a fashion that you couldn't, but I honestly doubt that is the case. ?As for those of you who have seen the trailer, I haven't, so can someone link me please?