If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

.hack//Fragment - Tokyo Game Show Impression

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited September 2005 in Latest Updates
Finishing off RPGamer's triad of Tokyo Game Show impression posts today is an impression of a game highly requested by our readers: Cyberconnect 2's first online-esque .hack game, .hack//Fragment.

Check it out!

Comments

• Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2005
    Nice impression. I don't play MMORPGs, so I'll definitely pass.

So...anything on the new offline .hack games?
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"if Bandai can show that it can make the jump to a true MMO instead of a farce-MMO like the rest of the series [/QUOTE]
    Since when is this an MMO?

Heath
    Won't Stop Until People Get It
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    At first I thought "everyone's gonna try to look like Kite." Then I realized, after playing through four long, repetitive volumes as that twinblade, no one's gonna want to control that character anymore. This may just work... as long as we don't see too man Orca and Balmung clones.
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Rage @ Sep. 23 2005,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"if Bandai can show that it can make the jump to a true MMO instead of a farce-MMO like the rest of the series [/QUOTE]
    Since when is this an MMO?

Heath
    Won't Stop Until People Get It[/QUOTE]
    Heath's right. ?Last I checked, this will be an offline game with limited online compatibility. ?You cna create your own dungeons, explore them with friends, etc. ?but as far as actual MMO depth, real-time events, etc., I seriously doubt this installment will have even a tiny amount of the content found in a typical MMORPG... ?It's just a baby-step toward the real thing.

Edit: A side note: Elranzer, that's an awesome avatar.

• Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    My apologies if the wording confused anybody there. .hack//Fragment isn't an MMO (that's G.U.'s domain if I remember correctly), but if it is more of the same that the first four .hack titles provided, I wouldn't waste my time with it.

Granted, if Bandai released that series as a box set, or if someone discovering those games for the first time decided to get them now, that's a different story. But there's nothing more disheartening then paying $200 for a series that gives maybe 80+ hours of gameplay and a 3 hour mini-series which, while not bad, wasn't great either. That's spoken from personal experience, I reviewed the first three titles as a staff member when they were new to North America.

.hack could have been so much more, and it still might. But unless I see otherwise, my cynicism remains. That's where the whole comment about the MMO part came in. Again, sorry if there was any confusion in that.