If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Netherworld Goes to Hell...Again

TiptailTiptail MemberFull Members
edited September 2005 in Latest Updates
Apparently Disgaea: Hour of Darkness was cool enough that a sequel was too good to pass up. Find out what Japan can look forward to next year. And yes, the Prinnies are back too.

Read the full story

Comments

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited September 2005
    FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC...
  • xddgaxddga Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    that just made my day...
  • Athiestic doubtAthiestic doubt Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    woah.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2005
    Blech, and I didn't even like the first. I think I've played enough N1 games to know they're not my cup of tea, and if they don't improve anything at all, I might as well pass.

On a more constructive note, they'll have to base the sequel on one ending...

• leatherfaceleatherface New Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Duke Otterland @ Sep. 29 2005,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Blech, and I didn't even like the first. I think I've played enough N1 games to know they're not my cup of tea, and if they don't improve anything at all, I might as well pass.

On a more constructive note, they'll have to base the sequel on one ending...[/QUOTE]

How many times will you let us know how much N1 games are not your cup of tea. It is starting to get really old.
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Nice.

First Tom DeLay gets indited on a campaign finance scheme, then Nippon Ichi announces a Disgaea sequel?

This is a good week indeed.

edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(leatherface @ Sep. 29 2005,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Duke Otterland @ Sep. 29 2005,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Blech, and I didn't even like the first. I think I've played enough N1 games to know they're not my cup of tea, and if they don't improve anything at all, I might as well pass.

On a more constructive note, they'll have to base the sequel on one ending...[/QUOTE]

How many times will you let us know how much N1 games are not your cup of tea. It is starting to get really old.[/QUOTE]
    Quoted for truthtastic truthy goodness.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Although the only Nippon Ichi game I own is Disgaea (as for some reason La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom didnt seem to interest me much) I will definatley be buying Disgaea 2.
  • TsuTsu Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    A sequel to the game that instantly became one of my all-time favourites? I'm there!

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"On a more constructive note, they'll have to base the sequel on one ending...[/QUOTE]
    I'm guessing the main one, since they can be sure that everyone who played the game has seen that one at least.

• knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I'm intrigued, but I think I'll pass. My experience of Disgaea was negative overall. I loved the story, characters, humor, overall atmoshpere, and most importantly, everything about the battles except for the geo panels (or whatever they were called), and they weren't game ruining. What was game ruining was the way I kept having to halt my progress to fight the same battles on the same map over and over again for hours to gain levels to progress. Or even worse, play the amazingly, stupendously unfun item world. I quit and sold my copy in the next to last chapter.

For me to buy this, the game must make at least two of the following revisions on the original:
    1) No more geo panels- come up with less cheap, more original ways to add variety to the battles.
    2) Keep leveling to a minimum for the duration of the story. Save it for the extra stuff afterward.
    3) If #2 isn't possible, give a little more purpose and context to the leveling like FFT. No leveling simply for the sake of higher stats.
    4) At the very least, come up with something less suck-tastic than item world for the leveling. I hear Phantom Brave has something.

Seriously, I really, really want to be excited about this. I want to love Nippon Ichi stuff. Please fix the stuff I mentioned. Please? sad.gif
  • Lord_KlaxorLord_Klaxor Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    All thoes that don't bow down before NIS will be exterminated.
  • ShivanShivan Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I own all nipon ichi north american releases. I only liked disgaea. If you find funny schoolgirl talk in La Pucelle great for you, but maybe because i am in another generation :P old school strategy ala Shining Force h
  • DarionDarion Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    My life just keeps getting better and better.

This is so freaking awesome.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Lord_Klaxor @ Sep. 29 2005,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"All thoes that don't bow down before NIS will be exterminated.[/QUOTE]
    <span id='ME'><center>Slayer of God regenerates Albedo style</center></span>

You shall not exterminate me!
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    People need to read more closely methinks...

Let's do some math?

A)The main characters aren't returning save possibly supporting characters (We've seen the cameo card played how many times in how many of their games?)

B)The world isn't the same.

C)It has the least interesting conceptual story design they've produced.

Dracos concludes:
    Money Grab.

This doesn't sound like a Disgaea 2. It sounds like it is tacking on to carry it. I'll put a bet that Disgaea outsold significantly Rhapsody, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave. I'll put a second bet that they think they can manage to create a better sale base off of it.

This is no judgement on whether the game may be good or may be bad. This is no judgement on the system or anything really beyond that. This is a judgement saying that they've made it sound like it is a sequel only in name so far with both their art and their press releases. FF does the same thing, pretty much.

That said...I'm not interested at the moment. Similar to MK, I'm burned out on the whole deal. I still enjoy their art and to a degree their writing, but not enough to play more levels.

Dracos
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Personally, I loved Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics both. Removing the grid system was quite possibly the worst idea ever.

Conclusion? It can be a humongous uncouth freak of a money grab so long as it's fun to play.

• xddgaxddga Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    i hope the geopanels stay. that was one of the coolest aspects of the first and made random dungeons fun. i remember spending like 30 minutes just trying to figure out how to get remove every geopanel in some of those random dungeons... then watching it go off was very satisfying
  • LimdallionLimdallion Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    I'm with Dracos on this.

We already had a sequel to Disgaea with different characters and a different world. It was called Makai Kingdom which was also set in the Netherworld, starring Lord Zetta.

Bring back Laharl and everyone from the first game and I'll put my money down for this.
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(knightofhyrule @ Sep. 29 2005,09:36)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Please fix the stuff I mentioned. Please? sad.gif[/QUOTE]
    God I hope they don't! @_@
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(King Jowy XXII @ Sep. 29 2005,10:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(leatherface @ Sep. 29 2005,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Duke Otterland @ Sep. 29 2005,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T

How many times will you let us know how much N1 games are not your cup of tea. It is starting to get really old.[/QUOTE]
    Quoted for truthtastic truthy goodness.[/QUOTE]
    That is quite a mouthful of a statement. "Truthtastic truthy goodness" is certainly an interesting new catch phrase. I think I will remember it for a while.

I am pleased that we are getting a sequel. I wonder what ending it will be based on, though.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • hamikohamiko New Member Full Members
    edited September 2005
    yay for new characters and everything else will be the same biggrin.gif. seriously, this is not worth my $50 dollars.no way
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2005
    Here's hoping they at least, for the love of god, either make levelling faster or give it some variety. Sitting on the same map and beating the snot out of stuff over and over again just to level is NOT FUN.

What is fun? HORSE WIENERS.

...damn, now I want to play it again cool.gif
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes