If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Children of Mana Dev Team Announced

AethelredAethelred MemberFull Members
edited October 2005 in Latest Updates
Square Enix has opened the official website for the World of Mana, and along with that, has unveiled the development team for Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana. Read more here.

Comments

• SorahikoSorahiko Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    The series creator? Great! Masato Kato? Awesome! Hiroki Kikuta? Wait...

Give us our beloved Kikuta, damn it.
  • AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Having Kikuta back would've been nice, yes, but he really has scaled back his work dramatically since the Secret of Mana years. And anyway... I have to say that Ito and Iwata are fine, fine replacements. Both of them are top-notch composers with long resumes.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Great team. This game will be awesome, it better be.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Aethelred @ Oct. 03 2005,10:54)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Having Kikuta back would've been nice, yes, but he really has scaled back his work dramatically since the Secret of Mana years. And anyway... I have to say that Ito and Iwata are fine, fine replacements. Both of them are top-notch composers with long resumes.[/QUOTE]
    I <3 Ito, and I hope Iwata includes some epic-esque music like in FF Tactics. Let's hope the games will be just as great as the music.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    The important fact, to my mind, is that the legend of mana character designer is coming back.

Meh. I found the earlier character designs better. Legend of Mana was more an adventure in tabula rasa characters than what was seen in the earlier ones.

Dracos
  • laazyeyelaazyeye Pretty much... Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Yay Kenji Ito, that sample on the site sounds like Ito!
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    I'm really pumped the more I read about this game - I loved Sword of Mana even though it was basically just a lazy revamp of a very old game - but it was a Mana game. I just wish I knew for sure it was coming stateside....
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Kenji Ito--yay! Fell in love with his work starting way back at FFA.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Well now... I must say, I'm very curious as to who is working on the console game.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    UGH. Kenji Ito definetely doesn't deserve any more Seiken Densetsu fame. His infantile music just doesn't belong. As for Iwata...I don't see him fitting into the Mana world at all. Aihara may actually turn out the most cohesive contribution, being infinetely more versatile than Ito and certainly moreso than Iwata. Nothing will top Seiken Densetsu 2&3 in terms of music; none of these artists even hold a candle to Kikuta's electrifying and innovative musicianship.

At least Masato Kato is writing. And, at least there seems to be plenty more Mana titles in the works. If I can't have Kikuta, then I at least want Nakano, damnit.

• ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    I wish they'd bring any of Tsuyoshi Sekito, Ryuji Sasai or Hiroki Kikuta onto the team... Ryuji Sasai & Tsuyoshi to create the battle themes while Kikuta makes the nostalgic melodies. smile.gif

Then again, if Kenji Ito gets grip.. Learn what was wrong with Sword of Mana's dull and boring songs (samples mostly). then this game might actually get AWESOME music.

as for artistic style... Ye I really like the Legend of Mana style. ;)

We should really be happy Sque-nix didn't hand this over to Brownie Brown again.

\"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    You really didn't like SoM's music? I loved it--I have the CD here now ^^
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Secret of Mana had some great music in it. I remember one story in particular I can tell.

There is a tourist town here in Wisconsin called Lake Geneva; and on one of the busier days my friend and I drove down the main street in his truck with, "The Sorcerer" from the Seiken Densetsu 2 OST blasting. These little touring families looked at us like we were total freaks. We scared the suburbia right out of them.
  • SorahikoSorahiko Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Jormungand @ Oct. 03 2005,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"UGH. Kenji Ito definetely doesn't deserve any more Seiken Densetsu fame. His infantile music just doesn't belong. As for Iwata...I don't see him fitting into the Mana world at all. Aihara may actually turn out the most cohesive contribution, being infinetely more versatile than Ito and certainly moreso than Iwata. Nothing will top Seiken Densetsu 2&3 in terms of music; none of these artists even hold a candle to Kikuta's electrifying and innovative musicianship.

At least Masato Kato is writing. And, at least there seems to be plenty more Mana titles in the works. If I can't have Kikuta, then I at least want Nakano, damnit.[/QUOTE]
    Quoted for emphasis. ;p
    edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Jormungand @ Oct. 03 2005,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Nothing will top Seiken Densetsu 2&3 in terms of music; none of these artists even hold a candle to Kikuta's electrifying and innovative musicianship.[/QUOTE]
    A bit more fanboyish than I usually like to put, but then, I'm listening to Kikuta stuff now.

Dracos
    Won't my dragon fly me away?~

edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Dracos @ Oct. 04 2005,14:31)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Jormungand @ Oct. 03 2005,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Nothing will top Seiken Densetsu 2&3 in terms of music; none of these artists even hold a candle to Kikuta's electrifying and innovative musicianship.[/QUOTE]
    A bit more fanboyish than I usually like to put, but then, I'm listening to Kikuta stuff now.[/QUOTE]
    Well, it's true. I mean, don't get me wrong -- I actually like Iwata and Aihara quite a bit. In fact, the two happen to be favorites of mine. But Kikuta? He's simply brilliant. I have a very specific view of the Mana world, and Kikuta helped shape that image in my mind. I also like parts 2&3 in terms of everything else too, not just the music.

But hey, when it comes to Kikuta, Hamauzu, Nakano, or Sakimoto, I'm totally proud to be a rabid fanboy. cool.gif biggrin.gif
    edited October 2005
    I did bold you for truth, justice, and the American way anyway =D

Dracos
  • AnemoneAnemone Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    Kikuta has recently returned to the world of VGM. However, he's apparently involved with 18+ computer games rather than the main consumer market.
    edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Anemone @ Oct. 04 2005,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Kikuta has recently returned to the world of VGM. However, he's apparently involved with 18+ computer games rather than the main consumer market.[/QUOTE]
    And it's a tragedy, because the man deserves an unlimited budget (I'll cite Soukaigi as support for my claim), but he hasn't gotten it yet (nor could you really expect it from a hentai dating sim).

I'm not sure what he's thinking. I feel sort of bad for him if these PC hentai games are all he can get, but it's better than nothing. The two that have had soundtrack releases (Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro & Sakura Relaxation) both demonstrate nuances of his classic Seiken Densetsu sound, but the MIDI based samples hurt the quality. Still, he is The Man, so who am I to judge. tounge.gif
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited October 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"We should really be happy Sque-nix didn't hand this over to Brownie Brown again.[/QUOTE]
    Considering the people announced for the World of Mana team and compared to the names in Brownie Brown, hmmm....