If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Comments on FF, DQ Speculation

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited November 2005 in Latest Updates
Story n stuff

Is it really that big of a deal to people if FF and DQ games are on the 360? >.>

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    As long as they're on both, I don't really care at all. Why would I...?
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2005
    I will care when it comes down to buying a next gen system. If the Xbox360 is both cheaper, and has the games I want, I know where I'm going. smile22.png
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"f the Xbox360 is both cheaper, and has the games I want[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that's the thing though. The 360 will probably be cheaper (at least from the beginning) than the PS3, but looking at the lineup so far, the PS3 has everything that looks good from my point of view, and the 360 has (just like its predecessor) only a few titles of interest.
  • drothgerydrothgery Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Martyr @ Nov. 18 2005,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Is it really that big of a deal to people if FF and DQ games are on the 360?[/QUOTE]
    Yes.

If main-sequence FF games are available on the 360, then I can probably get by with one next-gen console. I think that's a Good Thing.
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Nov. 19 2005,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"...the PS3 has everything that looks good from my point of view, and the 360 has (just like its predecessor) only a few titles of interest.[/QUOTE]
    Having heard about...well, almost no titles for the PS3, and a decent chunk for the 360, I'm leaning towards the 360.
    That's exactly why I have a DS and not a PSP smile26.png
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Having heard about...well, almost no titles for the PS3, and a decent chunk for the 360, I'm leaning towards the 360.[/QUOTE]
    Same here. Of course, I'll definitely wait to see more titles on all systems, and a price drop, before deciding on a system.
  • SurgendSurgend New Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    Meh, I'm going to wait on both. I know I'll eventually get one of the two, but considering I would rather burn an X-Box than a PS2 I'll probably get PS3. The only system I'm going to get at launch would be the Revolution anyway.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Nov. 19 2005,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"...the PS3 has everything that looks good from my point of view, and the 360 has (just like its predecessor) only a few titles of interest.[/QUOTE]
    Having heard about...well, almost no titles for the PS3, and a decent chunk for the 360, I'm leaning towards the 360.
    That's exactly why I have a DS and not a PSP smile26.png[/QUOTE]
    Need a final system before you get titles. I can't see Sony losing their massive third party support, so PS3 will still start ahead of the pack for third party games.

The question might be what does look better? When there are commercials for current titles on multiple platforms, they always show Xbox. People will decide to play the best looking one, which was helpful for Microsoft. Who will have the best looking console this time? That will still play a part in the game. Not all the gamers are intellectual. Graphics do mean everything to some people. A lot of people.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited November 2005
    If we go by the trend that the ps2, gc, psp, and ds have had...we won't really see good or plentiful RPGs for about a year after the system's release.
    That means a potential 2 years waiting for a decent PS3 RPG?
    Yuck smile28.png
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If we go by the trend that the ps2, gc, psp, and ds have had...we won't really see good or plentiful RPGs for about a year after the system's release.
    Yuck smile28.png[/QUOTE]
    Hey, by that time, the systems will actually be affordable. smile16.png
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2005
    Either way, there will eventually be quality RPGs on both systems. Granted, it looks like Microsoft has the lead with their Mistwalker partnership, but either way, you know that both the 360 and the PS3 are going to be buggy as hell come launch day, and will require at least a six month waiting period before the bugs are hammered out.

I'm with Surgend: the only system I will catch at launch will be the Revolution, with Nintendo's proven hardware quality backing it up. Still, I fail to see why it would be a bad thing to eventually own all three consoles, when the hardware has stabilized.
  • ShivanShivan Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    I have buy my ps2 4 month after release, because in electronic 4 month is needed to made a stable system smile1.png that my point of view.

P.S. I still have the same ps2 since i buy it and it run DQ8 and wild arms just fine.

So it will be a PS3, maybe an Xbox 360 when i will be sure all my favorite rpg will be made on the system, but i doubt it will.
    edited November 2005
    Sounds like a plan. I always go with six months just to be safe. There is usually nothing in the first or second run of software that I am into, anyway. I suppose that if a killer enough of a game were to be released, I might break my own rule, but it would have to be something dramatic like "METAL GEAR SOLID 4 LAUNCHES WITH PS3!!" or something like that.
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(King Jowy XXII @ Nov. 19 2005,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm with Surgend: the only system I will catch at launch will be the Revolution, with Nintendo's proven hardware quality backing it up. Still, I fail to see why it would be a bad thing to eventually own all three consoles, when the hardware has stabilized.[/QUOTE]
    Coupled with Nintendo's sheer lack of RPGs for their consoles? Let's not kid ourselves, there were barely a half dozen RPGs for each the N64 and the Cube.

Besides that, not all of us WANT all three system; I don't even spend a grand upgrading my computer (which is at least multipurpose), but I'd have to spend at least that forking out for this generation's hardware. The only reason I even have two systems THIS generation is because gamecubes became dirt cheap (I got mine *and* a gameboy player for 15$ thanks to a fine, fine trade-in deal)
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Coupled with Nintendo's sheer lack of RPGs for their consoles? Let's not kid ourselves, there were barely a half dozen RPGs for each the N64 and the Cube.[/QUOTE]
    I was specifically speaking about hardware durability in that paragraph, but alright. If it makes you feel better: You win! Congrat-tu-rations! There are hardly any RPGs on the Cube or the N64!

• Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,11:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Having heard about...well, almost no titles for the PS3, and a decent chunk for the 360, I'm leaning towards the 360.
    That's exactly why I have a DS and not a PSP smile26.png[/QUOTE]
    Given that the PS3 is more than a year away, a better analogy would probably be Dreamcast and PS2. Except that unlike the Dreamcast, the 360 doesn't have strong first-party games.
  • MagRowanMagRowan Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    I'm going to stick with the PS3 probably, even if both 360 and PS3 get the same string of RPG's. I just can't get into XBox's, esp since the big titles for the first XBox were cross platformed with the PC. Might as well keep with my PC.

I am waiting for the Revolution as well. Still it will probably be a year after each release before I buy next gen consoles myself.
    edited November 2005
    I guess it's more important for those of us who play more than one single genre. The PS3 could have a hundred good RPG's, but let's say that all the big SH franchises would be developed for the Revolution... I'd kiss that PS3 goodbye instantly.

I'm not too worried either way. Like Jowy, I usually give the consoles 5-6 months before I get them. Also, I pretty much always end up owning all of them anyway.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I can't see Sony losing their massive third party support, so PS3 will still start ahead of the pack for third party games.[/QUOTE]

Let's travel back in time, around say 1996, when they said that Nintendo would never lose their massive third party support to a newcomer...
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Having heard about...well, almost no titles for the PS3, and a decent chunk for the 360, I'm leaning towards the 360.
    That's exactly why I have a DS and not a PSP[/QUOTE]

I second that.

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited November 2005
    Yeah but in the long run the PS3 could win because XBOX 360 use standard DVDs and no mather how good comprenssion technology is, sooner or later games will require 3-5 DVDs and the PS3 have a good library of PS2 games and all people who have a PS2 will eventualy move to PS3. The only reason reason the 360 may win is because programmers don't know how to code in the new architecture and they are lazy to learn or code for it. I will buy the PS3 first to replace my old PS2 and then if the 360 have games that interest me I will buy it but wait Nintendo is up to something.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    meh, its still WAYYY to early to start deciding what systems are going to be home to the main market for RPGs (including FF and DQ) I would assume the PS3 if history repeats itself, but really the 360 has more RPGs announced for it, either way, ill be getting all 3 systems (like I always do) and right now Xbox 360 looks the most appealing to me (but then again, there isnt much announced for either system yet, and especially not in terms of RPGs)

and as for whether I think its "ok" if FF and DQ are either 360 exclusives (which I doubt) or are released multi-platform, all I have to say is Good. expansion, and just the kind Square-Enix needs to explore these different unfamiliar markets (I mean after joining back up with Nintendo, and that going smoothy I think the same effect will come to pass with microsoft) FFXI is on the way on 360, and I for one definatley want to see more Square-Enix on Xbox (which I assume there will definatley be Square Enix games on PS3).
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LordKaiser @ Nov. 21 2005,00:10)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"...and the PS3 have a good library of PS2 games and all people who have a PS2 will eventualy move to PS3. The only reason reason the 360 may win is because programmers don't know how to code in the new architecture and they are lazy to learn or code for it.[/QUOTE]
    1. Not everyone who has a PS2 will be replacing it with a PS3. Trust me on this one. Ask people who work in video game retail stores. Many non-RPG-centric gamers this generation who had a PS2 have either traded it in towards an Xbox (a big reason why preowned PS2s are 50$ cheaper than Xboxs? Maybe!), or have both a PS2 and an Xbox, and plan on only getting a 360. Heck, for that matter we have people trading in their PS2s to preorder a 360 smile6.png

2. Calling programmers lazy because they haven't gotten a handle on a new system is ignorant AND insulting. Were you one of those people who heckled the first generation of PS2 games too? Every system has gone through a slow evolution of games growing and taking better command of the system as people become experienced with the hardware and its capacities. Try to compare early SNES games to later SNES games. There's a remarkable difference. Coding for a new system isn't easy, and it's going to take them time to get used to it. That's not laziness! Heck, we're just seeing some stuff NOW on the PS2 we didn't even see two years ago. And other graphically acclaimed games (FFX, Xenosaga, etc) didn't just magically crap itself out at the beginning of the PS2 life either.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    Bravo, Paws.

/me gives her the honorary programmer awareness award.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Slayer of God @ Nov. 19 2005,11:06)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 19 2005,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If we go by the trend that the ps2, gc, psp, and ds have had...we won't really see good or plentiful RPGs for about a year after the system's release.
    Yuck ?smile28.png[/QUOTE]
    Hey, by that time, the systems will actually be affordable. smile16.png[/QUOTE]
    yeah, and i'll have finished at least some of my backlog of games from this generations.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Coupled with Nintendo's sheer lack of RPGs for their consoles? Let's not kid ourselves, there were barely a half dozen RPGs for each the N64 and the Cube.[/QUOTE]
    and yet, still better games than the xbox. not to mention games outside the genre (who doesn't love smash bros, mario kart, metroid, etc?)

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Ask people who work in video game retail stores. Many non-RPG-centric gamers this generation who had a PS2 have either traded it in towards an Xbox (a big reason why preowned PS2s are 50$ cheaper than Xboxs? Maybe!), or have both a PS2 and an Xbox, and plan on only getting a 360. Heck, for that matter we have people trading in their PS2s to preorder a 360 [/QUOTE]
    umm, it's the newfangled gadget. lots of idiots waste money on whatever is the newest toy in the market. (see the initial launch of almost any electronic toy in the last few years...ipod, psp, the current console generation, and now this one. not all of them go so well.) i saw people trading in xboxes and ps2s for psps, then psps for the newest ipods, now they're clamoring for the 360.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Heck, we're just seeing some stuff NOW on the PS2 we didn't even see two years ago. And other graphically acclaimed games (FFX, Xenosaga, etc) didn't just magically crap itself out at the beginning of the PS2 life either.[/QUOTE]
    i didn't really see any game graphically improve after FFX until this year as we're on the last legs of the generation. i was kinda dissappointed, though some games pulled off cel-shading as a nice alternative.

well, i think i've rambled enough for now
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LordKaiser @ Nov. 21 2005,01:10)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Yeah but in the long run the PS3 could win because XBOX 360 use standard DVDs and no mather how good comprenssion technology is, sooner or later games will require 3-5 DVDs and the PS3 have a good library of PS2 games and all people who have a PS2 will eventualy move to PS3. The only reason reason the 360 may win is because programmers don't know how to code in the new architecture and they are lazy to learn or code for it. I will buy the PS3 first to replace my old PS2 and then if the 360 have games that interest me I will buy it but wait Nintendo is up to something.[/QUOTE]
    I highly doubt that Blu Ray will have the effect Sony thinks it will have. ?I recently ordered Ys: The Oath in Felghana for PC. ?The folder containing the game contains about 1.4 gigabytes of data (at least according to Add/Remove Programs). ?Most Playstation 2 games use single layer DVD's. ?Almost all games from the current generation are single disc games. ?The X-Box 360's 9 gigabyte discs should suffice for the current generation. ?I don't see a higher capacity medium being necessary for games until the next generation.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited November 2005
    MonCapitan - What about the sort of thing that happened with the new Tiger Woods game, where content actually had to be removed from the 360 version to make room for the graphics? There's another game with a similar situation, whose name I can't recall, where content was removed to prevent the game from being three discs long. Now, unless my facts are wrong, I'd say that's a pretty big problem.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Elranzer @ Nov. 20 2005,19:28)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I can't see Sony losing their massive third party support, so PS3 will still start ahead of the pack for third party games.[/QUOTE]

Let's travel back in time, around say 1996, when they said that Nintendo would never lose their massive third party support to a newcomer...[/QUOTE]
    Yes, but Nintendo and Square had a big fight, and Final Fantasy left them. Square Enix is only saying "we might make games on other platforms" which is a lot different than "carts suck, we're outta here." ^.~
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(watcher @ Nov. 22 2005,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    and yet, still better games than the xbox. not to mention games outside the genre (who doesn't love smash bros, mario kart, metroid, etc?)

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Ask people who work in video game retail stores. Many non-RPG-centric gamers this generation who had a PS2 have either traded it in towards an Xbox (a big reason why preowned PS2s are 50$ cheaper than Xboxs? Maybe!), or have both a PS2 and an Xbox, and plan on only getting a 360. Heck, for that matter we have people trading in their PS2s to preorder a 360 [/QUOTE]
    umm, it's the newfangled gadget. lots of idiots waste money on whatever is the newest toy in the market. (see the initial launch of almost any electronic toy in the last few years...ipod, psp, the current console generation, and now this one. not all of them go so well.) i saw people trading in xboxes and ps2s for psps, then psps for the newest ipods, now they're clamoring for the 360.[/QUOTE]
    I love none of those. I've never played a Metroid game in my life, and I'll only play the other two if I get together with friends. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: RPGs are tantamount to my buying or not buying a system. If the system doesn't have RPGs, I'm not interested in how good its sports/shooter/platformer/ad naseum titles are.

In addition, there wasn't the same trend towards the ds or psp that we're seeing, at least around here, towards the 360 with trade ins. In fact, I didn't see a single Xbox traded in towards a PSP. People are becoming a lot more conscious about waiting it out instead of scooping up everything that comes out first.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited November 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Nov. 22 2005,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I love none of those. ?I've never played a Metroid game in my life, and I'll only play the other two if I get together with friends. ?I've said it once, and I'll say it again: RPGs are tantamount to my buying or not buying a system. ?If the system doesn't have RPGs, I'm not interested in how good its sports/shooter/platformer/ad naseum titles are.[/QUOTE]
    well, most people are not solely driven by one genre. that said, the cube was still better than the xbox for exclusive rpgs. of course I had already said that, so what's your point?

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"
    In addition, there wasn't the same trend towards the ds or psp that we're seeing, at least around here, towards the 360 with trade ins. In fact, I didn't see a single Xbox traded in towards a PSP. People are becoming a lot more conscious about waiting it out instead of scooping up everything that comes out first.[/QUOTE]
    the 360 is the first console of the next generation, so of course it's going to get more stuff thrown at it (especially with its price tag).

and when people actually do become more conscious about waiting, we won't see lines in front of stores days before a system launches and sellouts by noon of launch day in most stores. you have no idea how many parents i've seen looking for whatever the current 'in' product is (currently the 360) for their spoiled kids, ready to pay whatever the price is (ie $2000+ xbox 360s on ebay...damn, i shoulda got a preorder just to sell some smile12.png ).

*ms speaks to the masses* look, shiny next gen system
    *masses* smile24.png