If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

La Pucelle.... please help me.... >_<

MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 MemberFull Members
edited July 2004 in General Help & Advice
Leveling is a damn chore. I like the game a lot, but leveling in this game is driving me insane! My Prier is just level 13 in chapter 4, and I hear people have been hitting level 40 already at that point.

HOW THE HECK DO THEY DO THAT? PLAY ALL NIGHT LONG?

Yeah, someone please give me a slice of that secret cake. I'd like to know how the heck people get to level up so well, because I'm already getting stuck. If possible, please post your leveling techniques for every chapter of the game. It will be greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks.

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    There really isn't any big trick to do it, like in Disgaea. Although, you'll gain access to the Cave of Trials later (much later) in the game, in which you can level up greatly. In that cave, you can gain access to level 300-500 without any major problems.. but it will still take about 15-20 hours, I'd say..

Before that, there really isn't any big trick to do it. Just replay a few maps if you're stuck... I never saw any reason to go back myself. Although, I'm a bit surprised that your Prier is only 13 in Chapter 4... you should be a bit higher. Purifying a few strong monsters will help you A LOT in battle, in case you haven't done that.

Also, in case you didn't know... try to always have the entire party finishing off the bosses in the game. When battling bosses, the exp isn't divided between party members.. everybody gets 100%, which often means at least one level or so.

EDIT: On another note, I'm a bit surprised that leveling wasn't even needed like in Disgaea... sure, the level cap is 9999, but there is no way in hell that you'll ever need that. Plus, there is only one way to reach it without spending months of gaming time; "<span class="spoiler">by converting bhaalx6 to your side, and then kill them all off in battle by yourself.</span>" Most players will probably settle with level 500-1000, which is more than enough.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I haven't had any problems either. Though I tend to get a little obsessive about my TRPG's so I spend more time replaying maps then I do actually advancing story most of the time.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I actually don't get the concept of purifying enemies for more exp. How exactly does that work?
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ May 23 2004,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I actually don't get the concept of purifying enemies for more exp. ?How exactly does that work?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. You don't purify enemies for more exp.... they just help you out in battle after you've converted them, which makes everything a lot easier later on.

I only purified 2-3 strong monsters though, instead of having an entire army of weak ones.. that way, I still managed to balance out the exp between the party nicely.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ May 22 2004,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Leveling is a damn chore. I like the game a lot, but leveling in this game is driving me insane! My Prier is just level 13 in chapter 4, and I hear people have been hitting level 40 already at that point.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't feel bad. I finished Chapter 4 on Friday, and I was only level 11. ^^;
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    If you have some team members that are lagging behind, you can always include them in a combo attack. ?Fortunately, unlike Disgaea, everyone of the characters included in that attack (whether they get a hit in or not) will gain EXP.

Also, if you're looking to build up the Dark Energy Index in any particular map so you can make a jaunt to the Dark World, the quickest way to do that is to murder your own characters. ?Not only is this is a good way to level up special abilities, it's an EXP booster as well.

On a side note, I am curious as to how many boardies have actually taken on the special bosses in Chapters 4 and 8. ?Anybody?
  • damphyrdamphyr New Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Humm.. I'm not entirely sure what level I was on in Chapter 4. I just started Chapter 8 tonight and my Preier is only on level 21, and she gained a level in the last battle. ^^;

I never had to go back and replay too many maps. I do have, however, three strong monsters on my team. My bear... monster ~cant' remember what they're really called~ Is four levels higer than my Preier, though.

Edit: Had the wrong chapter down. ^^;

• damphyrdamphyr New Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Amish_Chief @ May 24 2004,10:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On a side note, I am curious as to how many boardies have actually taken on the special bosses in Chapters 4 and 8. Anybody?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm working on the one in Chapter 8, I'm up to level 32 now and actually do fairly well against it. ...I'd be doing even better if I could get a Dragonshroom in my party, but that's a different rant.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    The exploit to leveling up early is to take all your human characters and pit them against each other (monsters work too, but they get unhappy with you and run away). You can get up rediculously high in level in chapter one. I feel the best map for doing it is the first map in Montblanc castle, since you can use a 5 panel attack (Rain of Fire works well, or any magic) to clear out the bats, and then slug away at each other near the home panel without that last skeleton coming to mess you up. Use special attacks since you can't just outright attack your own characters.

Until you practice enough to get some multi-panel skills or spells this can be a pain in the ass cause your SP will be low, and it takes multiple hits to kill your teammates. But once you get stuff like multi target Tulip Spear with Culotte and high ATK items, or decent spells leveled up and proper INT items as well, you can kill your teammated in 1 hit per. Also, this gets easier to do once you get more human characters, so I'd wait til you get Croix at least before you level up to kill the special boss for chapter 4.

Finally, while this method works really well for leveling up (in fact I only used this method to level up before each chapter so that I could just blow through the battles and get through the story), it's SLOW to start off cause you need to take your abilities/skills/stats into account when you are starting the game fresh, and it's a lot of tedium that really isn't very neccessary considering the game isn't all that difficult to begin with. Normal progression through the game with maybe a few quick replays on maps for exp should be more than enough to get you through the game.
  • too much pietoo much pie Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    One thing to do would be getting some decent items, and level THE EQUIPMENT up, as opposed to the characters. The best place to do that is the Hall of the Dead stage in the evil's Stomach, where you can get Miracle Attacks REALLY easily. Your equipment will give you bigger and faster boosts than your actual character level's will.