The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

FFX Game help for the dumb

SilentwolfSilentwolf Only SilenceFull Members
edited January 2004 in General Help & Advice
Could someone help me plz? I'm playing FFX and I thought I was going very well until I had to attempt to beat Maester Seymour... for the third time after travelling through Mt. (something-beginning-with-G) where the Ronso were. This may be a bit vague and I hate asking for help but really, this boss is HARD! sad.gif

Every sailor knows the tale
of those becalmed at sea
though at peace they can be found
at peace they never be.

Comments

• NickNick Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    You're not the first person I've heard of having trouble with this guy, so, here's what works for me:

First thing I make sure I do is enter this battle with Yuna already in Overdrive mode. It will help you deal some hefty damage with the aeon of your choice.

Tidus, Yuna and Kimahri can all talk to Seymour (trigger command) to raise their stats. I never used Kimahri so he's at your discretion, but definitely utilise the trigger commands for Tidus and Yuna.

Have Tidus cast Hastega and have Yuna cast Protect, regardless of the fact that Seymour casts Dispel on everyone. It will help you survive longer. Now, whenever Seymour zombifies one of your characters, IMMEDIATELY use a Holy Water on that character, no matter what. It draws out the battle, but it keeps you alive. Plus he spaces that combination out enough that you should be able to deal some strong damage in the meantime. Also, bring Lulu in and have her cast Bio, that will help the battle along slightly.

When the Mortiorchis starts to charge up for the Total Annihilation attack, have a character with high strength take it out with one hit. That should delay the attack a little more and allow you the chance to deal some more damage. I think it's also a good idea to keep Yuna in the party to keep healing people. If you've got her Overdrive gauge set on Healer, she might reach Overdrive mode again, allowing you another chance to do some good damage with an aeon. If you're fast enough, you might even be able to destroy them before Total Annihilation is cast. Just keep your offense/defense at 50/50, and eventually you'll wear him down.

This is a combination of tips from the BradyGames FF X Strategy Guide and my own personal strategies. Hope it helps...
    i don't have a blog, my name isn't chris, and i'm not from scotland.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    There's also a lovely little trick I like to pull on the later bosses. This is assuming that you picked up the Moon Crest on the beach in Besaid before you left it. Otherwise, stop reading now.

Back in the Calm Lands, get the Cloudy Mirror from the Remiem Temple (you need a chocobo to get there). Bring it back to Macalania Forest. Talk to the family at the junction (mother and child), and discover that their father hasn't met them yet. Go back the way you came two screens, then up a screen (opposite the path that leads to the Spring). Talk to the father, and tell him where his family is. Then, go back to the family, and keep talking to them until they say that their son has now gone missing. After that, go up a new sparkly path behind them that wasn't there when you first visited the forest. You'll find the kid near a strange plant, and you can turn the Cloudy Mirror into the Celestial Mirror with its power. That all seems complicated, but it really takes all of two minutes to do, and is fairly simple.

Next, capture one of each of the nine species of monsters in the Calm Lands for the monster arena dude. He'll give you a treasure chest you can only open with the Celestial Mirror. Inside it is Yuna's Nirvana. Go back to the strange plant in Macalania (ridinga chocobo makes that all easier), and apply the Moon Crest to the weapon. Valefor's Overdrive will now break the 9999-damage barrier, and if you have her Energy Blast, you can deal, at the very least, 17,000 damage if you've built up Yuna at all. I use this to take off the last portion of Seymour's HP, right before he uses Total Annihilation. It works wonders, I tell ya.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Thanks guys, I'll attempt to put it into action. This guy's a real pain in the butt tounge.gif
    of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    You could gain some more sphere levels, I really had no problem with Seymour. The Aeon trick will work, but then you lose the challenge sad.gif
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ShadowKnight28 @ Dec. 30 2003,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You could gain some more sphere levels, I really had no problem with Seymour. ?The Aeon trick will work, but then you lose the challenge sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I really have to. I don't have Hastega yet sad.gif laugh.gif
    of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
  • NickNick Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ShadowKnight28 @ Dec. 30 2003,04:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You could gain some more sphere levels, I really had no problem with Seymour. ?The Aeon trick will work, but then you lose the challenge sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hehehe, honestly, for me the game wasn't all that challenging to begin with. No offense.
    i don't have a blog, my name isn't chris, and i'm not from scotland.
    edited December 2003
    truthfully, the game wasn't all that hard until here.
    of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
  • le_crazyle_crazy Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Ah I had this very same problem mad.gif well, I don't really have any complex tips to give you sad.gif usually when I can't beat a boss, I just run around leveling up a little bit more, then fill up everyone's overdrives (aeons' and the party's) save, then try again. If you do summon your aeons, be sure to use their Overdrive right away because Seymour gets rid of them pretty quickly. mad.gif As for a party, I took Yuna (healing/summoning) Auron (piercing power) and Tidus (for Haste) / Kimahri (power) for the fight. Hopefully that helps...
  • FreeKnightFreeKnight New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yeah it's pretty easy, if all else level up using the arena for quick levels. I put tidus into auron's grid after he finished his to make him uber strong, I had him killing every boss almost with one Blitz Ace. Get familiar with Wakka's attack reels. I also like to use Yuna as my black mage more often than Lulu since her Magic was higher ( I think, maybe I had just used her more). Use Hastaga, Auron's breaks, and Tidus's quick attack and man this game is easy!
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Heh I actually got mad at myself for making it too easy. I had Tidus's weapon unlocked so I made him a custom shield. It had Auto-Haste Break HP Limit and I forget the other two but he was too fast!! Using quick attack I can kill anything except some of the monster arena bosses. It's funny seeing him getting like 12 blows before they even have a turn.
    edited January 2004
    Ummm... You can't beat Seymour Flux and have any of the Celestial Weapons unlocked. You can get Yuna's, Tidus', and technically Kimahri's, but you'll only be able to get Yuna's Moon Crest, Auron's Mars Crest, and Rikku's Mercury Crest by that point, and only one of the Sigils. There's no way you can fully power the Celestial Weapons before fighting Seymour Flux, as at that point you're still on Gagazet.

Later on, you can get overpowered easily. But not then.

Trick the second:

If you can pull it off, get five chests at the Remiem Temple Chocobo Race before heading to Gagazet. This will net you 60 Three Stars. When you meet Wantz on Gagazet, buy Lulu's Booster Cactuar - it has Magic Booster, Magic + 5%, Magic +10%, and an empty slot. Magic Booster dramatically increases magic damage (up to twice as much), but doubles your MP cost. On that empty slot use 30 Three Stars to customize One MP Cost. Lulu will easily be dealing close to 9999 damage to regular enemies all for 2MP each time. It makes Seymour Flux and subsequent bosses much easier.
  • FreeKnightFreeKnight New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hey does the ribbon accessory feature even exist, I remember someone talking about it once, but I have every item maxed on one save and I still don't see it.

Or was it an international version only. I bought the normal version, so if was on the international, that would explain it.
  • KensikoKensiko Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm not sure, but I think it was exclusive to FFX International...not that it really matters though, status effects aren't that big a deal in FFX and the Marlboros aren't as kick-ass-y as in previous ones, namely FFVIII.
    edited January 2004
    Eh, once one of your characters woke up after getting hit by an FFVIII Malboro, you could run away and live. FFX's Malboros will put you to sleep, or confuse you, or berserk you, all while blinding you. The chance that you'll wake up and get a turn before poison destroys you is purdy small, I've found. The Great Malboros are the ones to watch out for, rather, since they have this wonderful habit of ambushing you every time in the "<span class="spoiler">Omega Ruins.</span>" Yeah, yeah, First Strike helps deal with that, but only Auron has that on his Celestial Weapon.

Also, guarding against statuses is great when fighting fiends that Curse you, like Th'uban. Without overdrives, beating him is a real pain.
    edited January 2004
    Good point Desh, but in FFX there's a neat way to go around status effects, namely the old switcharoo...

You're party is all messed up from statuses, you just bring in Yuna or whoever to heal 'em up, seeing as how the Malboros don't use their mega-status dealing attacks every turn (once every 3 turns if memory serves)...Either that, or bring in a completely fresh team to kick some booty or summon an Aeon (they be immune to dem status thingies).

Regarding FFVIII, the Malboros on "The Island Closest to Heaven" didn't just put you to sleep...they threw the whole kit 'n kaboodle at ya (if I remember correctly...).

Man, I've never used so many old school and trippin' expressions in a single phat post...I gotta watch myself dawg. alien.gif
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kensiko @ Jan. 13 2004,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good point Desh, but in FFX there's a neat way to go around status effects, namely the old switcharoo...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ... Provided you even get the chance to switch. If your characters all get berserked, they're going to die, and all the faster if they're poisoned. True, there's a small chance of living if a character has either confuse or sleep instead of berserk, but by then, you're next to raped.

And, as I pointed out, it's the Great Malboros that you should really fear. The regular Malboros in the Calm Lands aren't nearly as scary, but if they nail you with Bad Breath, you can still easily die.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Jan. 13 2004,21:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kensiko @ Jan. 13 2004,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good point Desh, but in FFX there's a neat way to go around status effects, namely the old switcharoo...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ... Provided you even get the chance to switch. ?If your characters all get berserked, they're going to die, and all the faster if they're poisoned. ?True, there's a small chance of living if a character has either confuse or sleep instead of berserk, but by then, you're next to raped.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hum, doh! Hehe, I concede defeat there. But that's obviously if you don't have any status defense on your accessories. I at least tried to have at least Yuna and one other character immune to most annoying disabilites, like sleep, confuse and berserk, as you mentioned.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And, as I pointed out, it's the Great Malboros that you should really fear. The regular Malboros in the Calm Lands aren't nearly as scary, but if they nail you with Bad Breath, you can still easily die.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Right-o, I misread ya. Great ones are indeed a pain if you're not well-prepared.