If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFX-2 (Labryinth of Bevelle)

SugarmanxSugarmanx MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in General Help & Advice
I have trouble with a "certain" fiend hanging around in the lower floors. "<span class="spoiler">It looks like a red dragon/lizard with two horns</span>" and by the time I get my battle meter halfway, the thing just kills me in one hit.

Is there any quick way to kill this thing ?!...(I just put the spoiler on there in case anyone didn't get there yet) confused.gif

Comments

• SinSin Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    You have two options:
    1) Level up like mad.
    2) Avoid it.

I'd suggest taking route 2.
    Walken1.jpg
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I probably shouldn't do another thread, so I'll ask it here:

Just a simple "where to level up" question. I'm at the beginning of chapter 5, and I'm having problems defeating optional bosses. I'm only level 36 right now, and a close lady-friend of mine can't even finish the Cactuar boss and she's at level 48. Can you give me some good places to level up?

Thanks. laugh.gif
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Actually, there is a third way to get by the Dragon, although it'll only work after floor 40.

Equip Cat Nip and a Gunner with critical HP. Use Happy Trigger on him for a surprise.

I didn't fight the dragon a single time during my two runs through bevelle dungeon, as it it way too fast, and I didn't want to take the risk (well, on my second run I beat him a few times since I already had a cat nip).

Meo-> Isn't it sort of ironic asking that question here, considering the title and all? Level up in the bevelle dungeon ?
    tounge.gif
    You're even in Ch5, so you have access to it now. Simply go to Bevelle - get episode complete - and acess the small area to the right after entering the actual temple.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited December 2003
    I'm currently trying to get episode complete in Macalania woods right now as we speak. It's about the "Woods are fading" thing, but I can't seem to initiate that mission. Any help?

I'll probably mosy on over to Bevelle, hopefully with your suggestion the enemies won't hand me my ass on the first fight. tounge.gif

Edit - I'm at level 3, and I'm getting anywhere between 7 - 200 exp only. sad.gif Now I just got massacred by an Elder Drake on the 4th floor.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Man I need a better place to level. sad.gif

edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Dec. 22 2003,13:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm currently trying to get episode complete in Macalania woods right now as we speak. ?It's about the "Woods are fading" thing, but I can't seem to initiate that mission. ?Any help?

I'll probably mosy on over to Bevelle, hopefully with your suggestion the enemies won't hand me my ass on the first fight. tounge.gif

Edit - I'm at level 3, and I'm getting anywhere between 7 - 200 exp only. sad.gif ?Now I just got massacred by an Elder Drake on the 4th floor.

sad.gif ?sad.gif ?sad.gif

Man I need a better place to level. sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have to do certain things in the previous chapters in order to get chapter complete in each place. For macalania, that is:

Chapter 1) Talk to tromell by the spring until you get paine's ultimate dress

Chapter 2) Pay off O'aka's debt, as well as accept the musicians quest from the hypello on the airship (you can pay off O'aka at any time until you reach macalania in chapter 3 though)

Chapter 3) Kill all the monsters outside the agency.

Chapter 4) Watch the tiring commspheres ->
    ? See the musician talking in phase 2
    ? See Wantz show up at agency in phase 2
    ? See the musician talking in phase 3
    ? See the Hypello at the agency in phase 3

If you've done all this, In chapter 5, visit the spring (where you talked to Tromell) first, and then go to the place where Yuna and Tidus kissed in FFX.

As for Bevelle, avoid the Dragon. You can't fight him properly for a while. If you're that bothered by him, you can always level up in the final dungeon... a few nasty monsters there as well. Although nothing compares to the stuff you encounter at level 80->100 in Bevelle.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I suggest you avoid the Grand Drake or whatever his name is. Frankly, I got squashed when I was level 80+. Just do your best to run by him on the upper 30, and if it's a lower 30 normal battle...Run. Fast.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Dec. 22 2003,16:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just do your best to run by him on the upper 30, and if it's a lower 30 normal battle...Run. Fast.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You can't run from those battles, nor the battles with the Tonberry King. Once you're in, it's kill or get killed.
    edited December 2003
    Solon:

I only managed to pay off O'aka in Chapter 5. sad.gif

Anyway, so I should go watch the commsphere's until I'm pretty sure nothing new will come up? And I can leave the final dungeon right?
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    You can leave the final dungeon whenever you want. Just use one of the Save Spheres. What's conveinent is that Brother will offer to take you right back to it if you talk to him.

I also recommend the hidden dungeon in the Thunder Plains if the enemies in the Abyss are too tough.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Dec. 23 2003,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, so I should go watch the commsphere's until I'm pretty sure nothing new will come up? ?And I can leave the final dungeon right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you've made a mistake in the previous chapters, I don't think there's any way that you could restore it on your current run. I suggesst going through the game again (if you've just missed out on a few things, you can easily do this in 10 hours).

About the commspheres though... man, they are boring. There are 3 different phases in which you must watch the spheres a number of times, in order to get Epsiode Complete.

There is a good guide on how to "solve" this at GameFaqs, it's called "Episode Complete FAQ". Now, I know that may be cheating... but it would take several runs to get everything in the right order (and not miss out on anything, sometimes you have to wait a long time before certain characters show up in the sphere) without a guide.

Yeah, you can leave the final dungeon, at several places. Just battle next to a save point, and you'll be fine.. makes up for healing as well.

EDIT: Btw, if you don't want to check the guide, I can still give you this tip for the phases:
    Phase 1 -> watch all spheres before the party decides to do the concert (a lot of spheres won't connect here)
    Phase 2 -> After deciding about the concert, but before the actual concert takes place
    Phase 3 -> Right after the concert

• Options
    edited December 2003
    Questions:

I seem to be noticing differences in the EXP and AP gains of my characters, and I'm wondering if this is normal, or something that I can change. Yuna seems to be getting AP super fast. I have 3 jobs (WHM BLM and Songstress) mastered with her, whereas Rikku still needs 2 more thief abilities, and I haven't changed her job once in my 15 hour playtime! While Rikku is almost a full level ahead of Yuna as far as EXP goes, and I RARELY let anyone die in one battle. In other words they've all gotten the same amount of EXP. Paine on the other hand is kind of in the middle, she has Warrior and half of Gunner mastered and half a level ahead of Yuna, half behind Rikku. Is this kosher? I'm not 100% sure how AP is gained really. Is it gained after each attack? Or just after an enemy is killed? I mastered WHM with Yuna in just a few hours just by praying repeatedly in battle, so I'm pretty sure you don't actually have to get a kill to earn AP. How about EXP? Over the course of the game they've all been drifting further apart and I can't figure out why.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    That's a good question. Personally, I think it depends on the dressphere. White Mage to me seems to be the fastest class to master.

As for how "AP" is earned, I think in the beginning of the game it was explained... or maybe it was from Shinra. (Cute little guy. Heheh) You don't need to kill enemy to gain, though you can get aditional AP by killing them. I noticed that I sometime learn abilities when I am not the one to have the last blow. And sometime, I learn ability while doing nothing in battle such as waiting for the Dance ability to be over. Because of this, I think a certain amount of AP is shared between characters in battle.

As for gaining exp., I think it also depends on the Dressphere you are wearing. I gave pain the Trainer dressphere and she seemed to level up a lot faster than my other characters that aren't a Trainer.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I quit this dungeon at Floor LVL 61...I didn't see any point in going on since I was about LVL 80 and up with all my characters.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I could have sworn I read you could run from a random Elder Drake battle. I may be mistaken.

As for AP, you gain it by helpful actions. If your action helps your party, you get AP. So if you attack and it connects, if you poision, if you cast magic for damage...you get an AP point. If you Pray or Cure and HP is replenished, you gain AP.

You can Spare Change for 0 and Sentinal and get AP as well. However, yes some classes take more AP than others. For example, two of the Alchemists skills need 400 AP and 999 AP...while I don't think the Warrior ever breaks 200 AP for any skill.

edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 24 2003,05:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I quit this dungeon at ?Floor LVL 61...I didn't see any point in going on since I was about LVL 80 and up with all my characters.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You saw no point in getting the best accessory in the entire game? Oh, okay.
  • SugarmanxSugarmanx Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Thank you guys for the advice. I got to level 60 and made it past those red drakes only to find this crazy boss called "Concherer" and it squashed my team flat in level 60 sad.gif and I'm only level 63 with my strongest character Paine-*D'oh !*

Angra Mainyu was cakewalk compared to this boss...
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sugarmanx @ Dec. 24 2003,10:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Thank you guys for the advice. I got to level 60 and made it past those red drakes only to find this crazy boss called "Concherer" and it squashed my team flat in level 60 sad.gif and I'm only level 63 with my strongest character Paine-*D'oh !*

Angra Mainyu was cakewalk compared to this boss...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I defeated that boss at level 50, I think he hit me once...or twice, before he died. Use the Cat Nip/Trigger Happy-combo.
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I only fought the Elder Drake once and I was in Level 38 or such... and it mopped the floor with me...

I only wait for it to stop then I run, but a good place to level up...?

I got to Level 53 on a route to the Farplane... now that I think of it, the best place to level up is any route there, or the Farplane itself...

I leveled up routing about three times all the way there and I defeated both "<span class="spoiler">Jumbo Cactuar</span>" and "<span class="spoiler">Angra Mainyu</span>" on Chapter 5. biggrin.gif
    edited December 2003
    So.... where can I get this Cat Nip?

And will the final dungeon give me some competent exp points?
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    About the Cat Nip I am not sure, but the Routes to the Farplane are very good places to gain EXP. The Farplane itself os also a very good place to level up, but the monsters are severely harder there than on the routes.

The foes encountered on any route are easier than the ones on the Farplane and they give a good amount of EXP pts.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Dec. 25 2003,03:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So.... where can I get this Cat Nip?

And will the final dungeon give me some competent exp points?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    After defeating the boss on floor 40, you will get the Cat Nip in the chest along with some other good items.

The final dungeon is okay to level up in, but I still recommend floor 70->100 in the Via Infinito.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but I still recommend floor 70->100 in the Via Infinito.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That poses a slight problem when you're levelling up so that you can *get to* the lower levels of the Via Infinito...

Also, if you're levelling up on the routes to the farplane, do each one all the way to the end. It'll get you a nice little Garment Grid. wink.gif
    Walken1.jpg
  • SugarmanxSugarmanx Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Is there anything I should know for the level 80 boss and possibly whatever is afterwards ? Talk about deep dungeons...

"<span class="spoiler">Seeing Yunalesca kill my characters wasn't any fun at all sad.gif </span>"
    edited December 2003
    I had two mascots and one gunner with cat nip. The mascots both had 9999 HP and extremely high defense (you don't need anything else, sinnce the gunner will be the one who inflicts the damage alone).

Then just Trigger Happy/Catnip away, and be quick on casting those softs/remedy in case she tries to petrify your Gunner. This way, I killed her in 4 turns with my party.
    edited January 2004
    For those of you who want to know, after level 80, the random encounters will be the bosses from the previous floors, mostly. You'll see a lot of Araneas and Black Elements. Then, after level 90, they'll come in groups. A boss, usually the Element, and an oversized fiend or two.
    Then you'll have to fight the two hardest things in the game...
    Walken1.jpg