The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

FFVIII know-it-all, right here!

2»

Comments

• little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fergus the lesser @ Mar. 11 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. where is the answer of the riddle of teh monkey...

2. why is it that ragnarok is soooo slooooowww unlike its other ff counterparts..

3. are there any secret ability for quistis...

4. why is it that chocobos are useless on ff8...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1. You know the Timber Lake, right? Well, from the lake, follow the road to Dollet. There's a small forest that's just outside the Dollet area. It's in a corner north of Timber. Try flying the Ragnar?k between Timber, Deling and Dollet, and the forest will definitely catch your eye. If you walk around in that forest, you may get a message about the monkey. Throw a rock at him, and he'll throw one back. Here's where things get tricky. As you may know, it's possible to skip rocks on the water. So, if you skipped the rock 3 times, you should encounter the monkey 3 times to get the special item (just ask if you wanna know about that sidequest). If you skip the rock "many many times", you'll get the special item upon encountering the monkey. However, this is NOT verified. Everything may be completely random.

2. Because the Overworld is bigger.

3. Limit Breaks? Yes, there are a couple of secret ones. There's shockwave pulsar, ?which can be learned by refining 100 Curse Spikes into 1 Dark Matter. The easiest way to get Curse Spikes is by defeating Forbiddens in Grandidi Forest, but you can get 10 at a time by defeating Malboros. You'll need Tool-Refine to create a Dark Matter, but Siren MUST!! be at Lv.100. Shockwave Pulsar does 5-digit damage. Yum.
    There's also Ray Bomb, which can be learned from a Power Generator. Check the rest of this topic to see how you can get one. Ray Bomb does very nice damage, but is still 4-digit.

4. That's because you don't know how to use them properly. Duh.

• MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. where is the answer of the riddle of teh monkey...

2. why is it that ragnarok is soooo slooooowww unlike its other ff counterparts..

3. are there any secret ability for quistis...

4. why is it that chocobos are useless on ff8...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1) Basically when you figure out the anagrams they lead you to a luck junction smile.gif
    2) I haven't a clue?
    3)yup , shock wave pulsar, it does over 9999 damage to all enemies, just give quisty a dark matter. (drak matter can be refined from 100 cursed spikes) smile.gif
    4) The chocobo's are useless because you need to have a pocket station to play the chocobo game, and they never came over except for in Japan. But the PC version has the game, and it great for getting rare items!

hope that helped smile.gif
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    Hey! You can also get some good stones from the chocobo forests. You can find Flare, Ultima, Holy...
    Walken1.jpg
  • fergus the lesserfergus the lesser Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (little tiger @ Mar. 12 2003,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"4. That's because you don't know how to use them properly. Duh.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i mean the "usefullness and functionality" of the chocobo
    i'm not stupid as you think... since i consider chocobos as my preciousssss....
    edited March 2003
    Yeah, the only use they have other than the stones is you need them to get back to the Ragnarok on disc 4.
    And if you want all the cards, you have to beat all of the chocobo forests.

But as for functionality, they are fairly useless, but having Boco follow you around is quite cute.
    Walken1.jpg
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You'll need Tool-Refine to create a Dark Matter, but Siren MUST!! be at Lv.100[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Seriously?! Why?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hey! You can also get some good stones from the chocobo forests. You can find Flare, Ultima, Holy...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *yawn* tounge.gif
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The easiest way to get Curse Spikes is by defeating Forbiddens in Grandidi Forest, but you can get 10 at a time by defeating Malboros.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I beg to differ - the easiest way to get Curse Spikes is from the fixed Tri-Face encounters in the Deep Sea Research Facility. Mind you, once the area is completed this method is no longer available, but it's by far the easiest way I've ever found to harvest massive amounts of Curse Spikes.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

Follow any FAQ for how to get Bahamut. Once you do get him, a pathway will open up to the inside of the research facility. By using the steam generators to open doors, you need to work your way down to the bottom to find the SUPER SHINY SECRET. At one point there is a big door that leads to the cave area, and it requires a lot of steam to open - usually enough steam that you have none left for the SUPER SHINY SECRET. But if you take Zell, he uses his natural 'talent' for machinery to open the door without expending your steam reserves.

Using this method also has a rather nasty side effect - there are fixed encounters with very nasty monsters all the way down to the SUPER SHINY SECRET. On the first floor of the cave section, the encounters are all with Tri-Faces. Kill them (but do *NOT* Mug them) and most times you'll get 6 Curse Spikes. Since you should be rather powerful before exploring the research facility, Tri-Faces shouldn't pose too much of a problem. And even if they do, you'll earn enough experience to get quite powerful rather quickly (and to build Siren to level 100). And from Tri-Faces you can draw some decent magic for junctioning (Flare and Pain). You can rake in the Curse Spikes quite efficiently after a while, and there's a convenient save point at the start of this floor too, in case of emergency. In no time you'll be swimming in Dark Matter and all sorts of side benefits (full stocks of Ultima, Rosetta Stones, Shaman Stones and whatever other fun things you can refine once you acquire the SUPER SHINY SECRET).

Just remember, if you fight your way to the bottom of the cave and discover the SUPER SHINY SECRET, the fixed encounters go away. So do all your fighting/winning/refining first.
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Captain Vittles @ Mar. 14 2003,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The easiest way to get Curse Spikes is by defeating Forbiddens in Grandidi Forest, but you can get 10 at a time by defeating Malboros.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I beg to differ - the easiest way to get Curse Spikes is from the fixed Tri-Face encounters in the Deep Sea Research Facility. ?Mind you, once the area is completed this method is no longer available, but it's by far the easiest way I've ever found to harvest massive amounts of Curse Spikes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmm... guess you're right, but I like being able to save often while leveling or gathering items... and I enjoy slaying Malboros. Plus, Deep Sea Research Center just plain scares me. ^_^;;

• VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On the first floor of the cave section, the encounters are all with Tri-Faces. ?Kill them (but do *NOT* Mug them) and most times you'll get 6 Curse Spikes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why shouldn't you mug them? ?You don't get less spikes...
    Oh, and have you ever scanned them? ?It's kind of funny:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""A monster with 3 heads. The 2 heads on the side are not real, but they bite and spit poison as if they were."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    eh.gif
  • fergus the lesserfergus the lesser Member Full Members
    edited April 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (little tiger @ Mar. 12 2003,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You know the Timber Lake, right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "<span class="spoiler"> im thinking of 2 things a place and a singer... </span>"
  • Ceru1981Ceru1981 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I've been having trouble with the "Vase Quest" in Winhill, I got three of the four vase pieces and I know the fourth is in the suit of armor, I've tried everything, talking to it, searching the area around it, talking to everyone in Winhill three times, it seems like too much trouble for a puny holy stone...
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ceru1981 @ Dec. 07 2003,00:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've been having trouble with the "Vase Quest" in Winhill, I got three of the four vase pieces and I know the fourth is in the suit of armor, I've tried everything, talking to it, searching the area around it, talking to everyone in Winhill three times, it seems like too much trouble for a puny holy stone...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This may sound strange, but.... put Irvine in your party before trying.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited December 2003
    It is too much trouble for a little Holy Stone. tounge.gif
    Pretty much all of the sidequests in FFVIII aren't worth the trouble, with the exception of the ones that get you GFs.

Per me si va ne la citt? dolente,
    per me si va ne l'etterno dolore,
    per me si va tra la perduta gente.
    Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
    fecemi la divina podestate,
    la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.
    Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
    se non etterne, e io etterno duro...
    ... Oh sorry about that. Got caught up in Solon's sig. laugh.gif
    Walken1.jpg