If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Midgard Stopped In Its Tracks

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
Funcom has put Midgard, the Viking MMORPG, on hold indefinitely. Rats. I would have really liked to play this one. Any thoughts?

Comments

• KemalKemal New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Why is this on front page news...didnt this happen a really, really, really long time ago...? And what does Midgards name changing to Nibelhiem have to do with it being canned, which happened a year ago..?
  • KemalKemal New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I just checked up, and it was 'officially' cancelled 3 months ago and was 'put on hold' nearly 8 months ago.
  • gameking28gameking28 Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Has anyone noticed that Midgar (slightly different from Midgard) and Nibelhiem are both cities in FFVII? Any significance?
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gameking28 @ Dec. 04 2002,06:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has anyone noticed that Midgar (slightly different from Midgard) and Nibelhiem are both cities in FFVII? Any significance?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There is no signifigance at all. Midgard and Nibelheim come from Norse mythology (which many RPGs love to borrow names from, Odin, Yggdrasil, ThoR). Valkyrie Profile's main plot is completely focused on Norse mythos.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I figured this was supposed to be an update to an older story, but then when I found the story I realized it was almost a year old. Oh well, these things happen.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Since the news of the cancellation was just sent to us days ago, we thought the news was fresh. I had no idea that the cancellation happened long ago. I know there was a delay about a year ago or so, but this time it's official.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And what does Midgards name changing to Nibelhiem have to do with it being canned?

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Midgard's name has not been changed to Nibelheim. Reread the headline. "Midgard Becomes Nibelheim." Surely I didn't need to put "Midgard Becomes Nibelheim in the Metaphorical Sense." Any person should know that I was saying that the game was stopped or "frozen." Maybe I should pick headlines that are easier for the general public to understand. smile.gif

• delvin_anarisdelvin_anaris Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Midgar(d) becomes Nibelheim...? ?When I saw this headline, I thought the story would be something about the (potential) sequel to FFVII...talk about confusing!

Delvin Anaris
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    There was nothing confusing about the article or title. The metaphor was quite obvious (to me at least). It seems, though, that a 12 year old fanboy reading metaphor is as pointless as this (my) post.
  • WeekendRisktakerWeekendRisktaker Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Heh, I liked the pun. "Midgard" gets frozen for relative eternity. Why didn't you just say it'd been frozen in H?l? wink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Shouldn't it be spelled Nifelheim?

At least zat is what I remember from the books I've read, and zat is what I remember Lenneth calling it in Valkyrie Profile.......
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    And sometimes the spelling is "Niflheim," and sometimes it's other things. And as long as we're on the subject of spelling corrections, "zat" is not a word.
  • owaowa New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well while we're on grammar, "and" should never start a sentence. Contractions aren't allowed in formal writing. Lastly, talking online is like talking to a dog, it makes no sense on the recieving end, and no one really cares.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (owa @ Dec. 08 2002,01:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well while we're on grammar, "and" should never start a sentence.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, there is no such grammatical rule. The practice is frowned upon, but a full sentence starting with and or but is still a legitimate sentence, as long as the group of words contains a main subject and a main verb.
  • owaowa New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Do you see mention of "rule" in there?

I was kind of playing off the fact that the other person purposely said "zat" to accentuate their personal way of speaking. Read: talking online.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (owa @ Dec. 09 2002,22:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do you see mention of "rule" in there?

I was kind of playing off the fact that the other person purposely said "zat" to accentuate their personal way of speaking. ?Read: talking online.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "should never" implies their is a rule stating it "you should never start a sentence with 'and' or 'but'". And there is no mention of the word "zat" in your original post.

Also, "zat" would have nothing to do with talking online. Go get some culture, you'll find "zat" showing up more than you think.