The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Name 1 song you heard today...

Comments

• Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    BlutEngel - Children of the Night
  • Diamond WEAPONDiamond WEAPON Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jun. 30 2005,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jun. 30 2005,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Maybe Mos Def needs to team up back with Talib Kweli and make another Blackstar album and they should have Hi-Tek producing it. ?That way it will redeem both artists.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, please.[/QUOTE]
    true, though they don't necessarily need redemption, everything they made up to their last albums were classics, their last albums still got great ratings and such but just weren't up to par... Black Star and Black On Both Sides were the best of their albums... I also agree the Fugees were overrated, compared to Mos and Kweli they're straight-up wack...
    Definition - Mos Def & Talib Kweli
    "Best alliance in hip-hop, wy-ohhhh!"

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Currently listening to the London Philharmonic's Dragon Warrior Symphonic Suite compilation, the piece being, "Brave Fight (DQVI)," the part in particular being the boss theme. It's fantastic.
  • edited July 2005
    Desh you're such a nerd.
  • DeadThreatDeadThreat Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Proto Culture - Del the Funkee Homosapien

Best song about the vids of all time!
  • edited July 2005
    lemme tell you bout the proto cultuyre if you dont know the culture here the whole structure, we ghad enouf if the lack luster trust us we get the kind of games u cant trent and blockbuster!!!! god damn i love del the mofocking homosapiens!!!

i forgot to say that deadthreads man we need to get together and hang out IRLGS and cstruff man, yo should gfome down to milwukee for summerfest man we rs haging out nd we had a cool time all nigt man!!! come hang out sometime dude we can hit some bars and talk abut dcool music and moviessd and stuff i have a feeligns hwe got stufs in common!

he actually sayus xenogears in the protofucultrure song! i dont even like xenofgtears but hells yea del for giving it up to the RPGSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! yu3eeeeeea!

dudgdid i mention DEL RKICKS ASS!

[Edit by maryadavies]Dude, don't drink and post. I hate cleaning up triple posts like that.

edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jul. 02 2005,02:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"lemme tell you bout the proto cultuyre if you dont know the culture here the whole structure, we ghad enouf if the lack luster trust us we get the kind of games u cant trent and blockbuster!!!! god damn i love del the mofocking homosapiens!!!

i forgot to say that deadthreads man we need to get together and hang out IRLGS and cstruff man, yo should gfome down to milwukee for summerfest man we rs haging out nd we had a cool time all nigt man!!! come hang out sometime dude we can hit some bars and talk abut dcool music and moviessd and stuff i have a feeligns hwe got stufs in common!

he actually sayus xenogears in the protofucultrure song! i dont even like xenofgtears but hells yea del for giving it up to the RPGSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! yu3eeeeeea!

dudgdid i mention DEL RKICKS ASS!

[Edit by maryadavies]Dude, don't drink and post. I hate cleaning up triple posts like that.[/QUOTE]
    I like drunken posts! It shows how all gamers aren't locked up in their dungeons on the weekends. Wait 'til I get back on the sauce! I'll have to start an entire thread dedicated to "Posts Under Altered States". tounge.gif

As for hangin' out sometime, LiQuid!, I could see it happening sometime. As much as we razz each other, moreso you than me, I can tell that we're on the same page. Never been to "the good land" myself, but if their's a big show in town, I might mosey on down. First, I have to purchase a new car and work my tail off at the new job for a month or so until my monetary sitch restabilizes a bit. Maybe we should head to the southern hemisphere and track down the elusive Manta?
  • edited July 2005
    Speaking of southern hemisphere, I met an honest to God Australian at the Fest last night, he rocked. He was piss drunk and kept referring to America as 'wholesome,' but I think he might have been trying to refer specifically to Water Street Brewery's salubrious lager.
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jul. 02 2005,12:26)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Speaking of southern hemisphere, I met an honest to God Australian at the Fest last night, he rocked. He was piss drunk and kept referring to America as 'wholesome,' but I think he might have been trying to refer specifically to Water Street Brewery's salubrious lager.[/QUOTE]
    I lived on Water Street in Eau Claire. Not technically, but as I spent more time at the bars than my home, I think that qualifies. As for Australia, I found a package of foreign-looking cookies in my mailbox yesterday that had an attached note that read, "To: John From: Australia". I assumed that they were from a friend that just got back from Australia and not from the conrtinent, itself.

Spearhead - Stay Human
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Speaking of Del guys, what has he done for us lately? Deltron 3030 was a great album, but that was 4 years ago. I do recall on the ESPN basketball 2k5 soundtrack, one of his new songs was on there, don't remember what the name of that song is.

De La Soul - Eye Know
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Ayumi Hamasaki - Dearest
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jul. 02 2005,18:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Speaking of Del guys, what has he done for us lately? ?Deltron 3030 was a great album, but that was 4 years ago. ?I do recall on the ESPN basketball 2k5 soundtrack, one of his new songs was on there, don't remember what the name of that song is.

De La Soul - Eye Know[/QUOTE]
    Del was the rapper for the first Gorillaz album, he did "Clint Eastwood", "Rock The House", and I believe another one but I'm not sure...
    btw to all the hip-hop heads, Beanie Sigel's new album is great, especially the song "Gotta Have It" ft. Peedi Peedi and Twista, they go absolutely crazy with their styles on that song...
    "Chain gang, blicki with the bang pick it split it ring, sicky Ricky get his wiggie banged, extension on the gang, figga tricky that uncle Midi getting for his change, said leave give 'em the chitty bang, sit him in the claim, no name, no blame, mack-ten no aim, hollow rhino put your body in pain, no pain no gain, fo' I blow yo brain, wanna catch me after the show, you know of course I got to have my thang."

also Cassidy's new album isn't classic but pretty good, too many club-song wannabe tracks lacking the required energy, a message song that sounds very inauthentic (so I'm supposed to believe a cocky hustla with a cockier flow actually cares about the state of his community?) and one particularly disgusting sappy love song (more than zero is too many) there are two especially standout tracks...
    One is called "The Problem vs. The Hustla" in which the Cassidy from the first album battles the Cassidy of the second album, so he's essentially going back and forth dissing the hell out of himself with nearly every line.
    "I'm in the zone boy, plus I got the chrome boy, I'll leave the blood gushing out ya head on ya homeboy, I'm a threat so you should've left me alone boy, I'm real to the chromosomes you a clone boy, chicks get boned I'm known for gettin dome boy, Probably got your baby-mama number in my phone boy..."

"Listen to this, all that talk will get you and ya man bodied, I'm the man you a bitch in a man's body, you a disgrace who wrote your s%^* Mase, your album wasn't nothin like the stuff on the mixtapes, first you was hustlin bustin them shells, then you went commercial just to get a couple of sells, that's what you got a couple of sells, and you probably would've never sold those if it wasn't for Kell, well you was crazy man with the punchline flow, but now you a ladies man where the punchlines go...."
    Then there's "6 Minutes" ft. Lil Wayne and Fabolous, in which Wayne does ok and Fab and Cass deliver awesome verses over this crazy violin (and other string instrument) beat that sounds like something out of a war movie or a videogame. It's such a tragedy that those two songs and the other hot tracks are split up by mediocrity.
    I'd give Beans a 4.5/5 and Cass a 3.5/5
  • edited July 2005
    Under Smithville - For Squirrels
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Diamond WEAPON @ Jul. 02 2005,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"btw to all the hip-hop heads, Beanie Sigel's new album is great, especially the song "Gotta Have It" ft. Peedi Peedi and Twista, they go absolutely crazy with their styles on that song...
    "Chain gang, blicki with the bang pick it split it ring, sicky Ricky get his wiggie banged, extension on the gang, figga tricky that uncle Midi getting for his change, said leave give 'em the chitty bang, sit him in the claim, no name, no blame, mack-ten no aim, hollow rhino put your body in pain, no pain no gain, fo' I blow yo brain, wanna catch me after the show, you know of course I got to have my thang."

also Cassidy's new album isn't classic but pretty good, too many club-song wannabe tracks lacking the required energy, a message song that sounds very inauthentic (so I'm supposed to believe a cocky hustla with a cockier flow actually cares about the state of his community?) and one particularly disgusting sappy love song (more than zero is too many) there are two especially standout tracks...
    One is called "The Problem vs. The Hustla" in which the Cassidy from the first album battles the Cassidy of the second album, so he's essentially going back and forth dissing the hell out of himself with nearly every line.
    "I'm in the zone boy, plus I got the chrome boy, I'll leave the blood gushing out ya head on ya homeboy, I'm a threat so you should've left me alone boy, I'm real to the chromosomes you a clone boy, chicks get boned I'm known for gettin dome boy, Probably got your baby-mama number in my phone boy..."

"Listen to this, all that talk will get you and ya man bodied, I'm the man you a bitch in a man's body, you a disgrace who wrote your s%^* Mase, your album wasn't nothin like the stuff on the mixtapes, first you was hustlin bustin them shells, then you went commercial just to get a couple of sells, that's what you got a couple of sells, and you probably would've never sold those if it wasn't for Kell, well you was crazy man with the punchline flow, but now you a ladies man where the punchlines go...."
    Then there's "6 Minutes" ft. Lil Wayne and Fabolous, in which Wayne does ok and Fab and Cass deliver awesome verses over this crazy violin (and other string instrument) beat that sounds like something out of a war movie or a videogame. It's such a tragedy that those two songs and the other hot tracks are split up by mediocrity.
    I'd give Beans a 4.5/5 and Cass a 3.5/5[/QUOTE]
    sorry, way too mainstream-y and pop for me, and any rapper that has the word "lil'", to me is not worth checking out.

Common - 2 scoops of raisins
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jul. 03 2005,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Diamond WEAPON @ Jul. 02 2005,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"btw to all the hip-hop heads, Beanie Sigel's new album is great, especially the song "Gotta Have It" ft. Peedi Peedi and Twista, they go absolutely crazy with their styles on that song...

I'd give Beans a 4.5/5 and Cass a 3.5/5[/QUOTE]
    sorry, way too mainstream-y and pop for me, and any rapper that has the word "lil'", to me is not worth checking out.

Common - 2 scoops of raisins[/QUOTE]
    yeah, it's understandable, but Beans' album is really anything but pop, he really did an album for all the hardcore guys... similar to Jay-Z with The Blueprint. Cassidy would be great if he'd just stick to the hardcore stuff because he's one of the best lyricists out right now, he ripped Freeway into a million pieces. I really feel lyricism is finally coming back with some of the younger rappers which is good cause for the last five years we've had to rely on Mos, Kweli, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Nas for hot verses AND masterpiece albums.

Mic Check - Juelz Santana

edited July 2005
    Underworld - Dirty Epic
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Battle Without Honour by Tomoyasu Hotei
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Diamond WEAPON @ Jul. 03 2005,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"yeah, it's understandable, but Beans' album is really anything but pop, he really did an album for all the hardcore guys... similar to Jay-Z with The Blueprint. Cassidy would be great if he'd just stick to the hardcore stuff because he's one of the best lyricists out right now, he ripped Freeway into a million pieces. I really feel lyricism is finally coming back with some of the younger rappers which is good cause for the last five years we've had to rely on Mos, Kweli, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Nas for hot verses AND masterpiece albums.

Mic Check - Juelz Santana[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I definitely agree that there has been a lack of really good lyricism, and what really hurts Hip Hop is the lack of original producing, or DJ-ing. The use sampling is almost history...nobody ever uses it anymore. And the fact that the key component of having a DJ in a Hip Hop group is also missing. I have always felt that the 2 keys to Hip Hop is original producing, along with lyricism. And the way Hip Hop is going nowadays....you can almost call it "Pop Hop". Hoo-ray for the underground groups that still stay true to its roots.

Pharcyde - Runnin'
  • edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jul. 03 2005,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"any rapper that has the word "lil'", to me is not worth checking out.[/QUOTE]
    Testify!
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jul. 05 2005,08:10)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Diamond WEAPON @ Jul. 03 2005,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"yeah, it's understandable, but Beans' album is really anything but pop, he really did an album for all the hardcore guys... similar to Jay-Z with The Blueprint. Cassidy would be great if he'd just stick to the hardcore stuff because he's one of the best lyricists out right now, he ripped Freeway into a million pieces. I really feel lyricism is finally coming back with some of the younger rappers which is good cause for the last five years we've had to rely on Mos, Kweli, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Nas for hot verses AND masterpiece albums.

Mic Check - Juelz Santana[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I definitely agree that there has been a lack of really good lyricism, and what really hurts Hip Hop is the lack of original producing, or DJ-ing. ?The use sampling is almost history...nobody ever uses it anymore. ?And the fact that the key component of having a DJ in a Hip Hop group is also missing. ? I have always felt that the 2 keys to Hip Hop is original producing, along with lyricism. ?And the way Hip Hop is going nowadays....you can almost call it "Pop Hop". ?Hoo-ray for the underground groups that still stay true to its roots.

Pharcyde - Runnin'[/QUOTE]
    well there are just as many underground groups that lack any rhyming skills, it's not about underground vs. mainstream, it's about lyricism vs. the perversion of rap... the point of underground artists is to blow up and make money, there's little glory in little money, even if you become absorbed by the money (like Nas and Jay-Z did in the late 90's) as long as you spit like a fiend (again, like Nas and Jay-Z) it makes up for it. There's loads of dudes in the underground that are just like Nelly, J-Kwon and the like... all rappers come from somewhere, they aren't just born with it, some have to pay more dues than others. Rakim and Nas were acclaimed at age 19, it took Eminem and Jay-Z til their mid-20s to achieve the same success.

Hip-Hop seems more back on track than it was from 2002-2004 though (now THAT was pop-hop)... Like I mentioned before we have at least a few young dudes that'll hold up lyricism for the future (Fab, Cass, Juelz). Kanye has improved greatly as well, I'm loving "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" and can't wait for that new album.

Suspect - Nas

"It justifies Nas Escobar's leavin s#&* mesmerized mega-live like the third world, decipher my deceiver make you a believer spittin gym stars, word to my mic type reciever, bond is my life so I live by my word never fraudulent Queensbridge don't make no herbs, spread my name to deacons, politicians while they speakin, rebel to america civilization caught ya sleepin."
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power out)

There's the full video for the song here.
    edited July 2005
    Checking the song's I've listened to on this thread, I've noticed that sometimes I put the artists' name first and sometimes second. How confusing is that? I'll try song titles first from here on out...

Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches
  • edited July 2005
    Maybe you could just stick the title in quote marks. That might help, just in case you forget to order it proper...

"Pompeii" - Gatsby's American Dream
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jul. 05 2005,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Maybe you could just stick the title in quote marks. That might help, just in case you forget to order it proper...

"Pompeii" - Gatsby's American Dream[/QUOTE]
    "That's" a good idea.
  • edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SupraDarky @ Jul. 05 2005,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power out)[/QUOTE]
    I had no clue they even put a video out (and a cool one at that) The Arcade Fire can't possibly be getting much TV airplay? Or has Modest Mouse spearheaded some mainstream, indie insurgence?
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Diamond WEAPON @ Jul. 05 2005,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"well there are just as many underground groups that lack any rhyming skills, it's not about underground vs. mainstream, it's about lyricism vs. the perversion of rap... the point of underground artists is to blow up and make money, there's little glory in little money, even if you become absorbed by the money (like Nas and Jay-Z did in the late 90's) as long as you spit like a fiend (again, like Nas and Jay-Z) it makes up for it. There's loads of dudes in the underground that are just like Nelly, J-Kwon and the like... all rappers come from somewhere, they aren't just born with it, some have to pay more dues than others. Rakim and Nas were acclaimed at age 19, it took Eminem and Jay-Z til their mid-20s to achieve the same success.

Hip-Hop seems more back on track than it was from 2002-2004 though (now THAT was pop-hop)... Like I mentioned before we have at least a few young dudes that'll hold up lyricism for the future (Fab, Cass, Juelz). Kanye has improved greatly as well, I'm loving "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" and can't wait for that new album.[/QUOTE]
    I think you missed my point. I was more focused on the lack of producing in Hip Hop, not Underground vs. Mainstream. Where's the actual DJ-ing? Where are all the cuts, scratches, samples? It's non-existent, and if you want it, you'll be able to find it in the underground scene.

Now if you want my personal opinion on the current state of Hip Hop, it's horrible. All of my favorite artists all have 1-2 great albums, then they change their style for the masses. Nas had 1 unbelieveable album. But what has he done since then? Stillmatic may have redeemed him somewhat, but Street Disciple still failed to impress. Look at Mos, Talib, Dilated Peoples, even the Black Eyed Peas. BEP doesn't sound anything like they did on their 1st album.

I don't mean to hate, but I've never noticed what the big deal is with Kanye West. He brings this almost R&B style w/some gospel to his Hip Hop. That's all great, but does it belong in the main Hip Hop scene? I think he gains a ton of his popularity just because he "tries" to be different than the norm, and I think he plays on that so he can gain popularity and sales. Again, just an opinion, and I'm not trying to offend.

Dr. Octagon - Bear Witness
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(LiQuid! @ Jul. 06 2005,01:28)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SupraDarky @ Jul. 05 2005,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power out)[/QUOTE]
    I had no clue they even put a video out (and a cool one at that) ?The Arcade Fire can't possibly be getting much TV airplay? ?Or has Modest Mouse spearheaded some mainstream, indie insurgence?[/QUOTE]
    I know it's crazy but that video is currently The Big One on Muchmusic (Canada's MTV you could say, but better. It still sucks though.). Usually The Big One is mainstream crap so I'm pleasantly surprised.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    Kenji Kawai - Ghost Dive
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Vampire Hunter V @ Jul. 05 2005,10:10)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Yes, I definitely agree that there has been a lack of really good lyricism, and what really hurts Hip Hop is the lack of original producing, or DJ-ing. ?The use sampling is almost history...nobody ever uses it anymore. ?And the fact that the key component of having a DJ in a Hip Hop group is also missing. ? I have always felt that the 2 keys to Hip Hop is original producing, along with lyricism. ?And the way Hip Hop is going nowadays....you can almost call it "Pop Hop". ?Hoo-ray for the underground groups that still stay true to its roots.[/QUOTE]
    Truer word have never been spoken

Coin Operated Boy - Dresden Dolls
  • edited July 2005
    "The Killing Moon" - Echo & The Bunnymen