If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden III - Staff Review

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
There you have it, RPGamer throws out the verdict on Suikoden III. ?It comes as no surprise that this title is one of the bigger ones this fall, it came in at #2 on our Most Anticipated RPGs for the rest of 2002 list.

Do you agree or disagree with the viewpoints made in the review? ?Let 'er rip. ?And no ad hominem attacks please smile.gif

Comments

• KnightAVKnightAV New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    This review was really spot-on, much moreso than other reviews that I've read about S3. ?Suikoden III, while it uses and builds on many of the previous Suikoden games, is very different in storytelling style and plot than its predecessors. ?In particular, it was about time that they branched out from the "evil empire" plot, as you said.

However, one area that I would have downplayed in the review would have been the epic battles. ?The epic battles, while a Suikoden staple feature, have always just been predecided interludes. ?The epic battles exist to lend credibility to the major conflicts and to engage the player in these situations. ?Regardless of how well or poorly you do, as long as the victory conditions are met, you win. ?The depth of your strategy is unimportant, you need only to see the event resolve itself.

Secondly, I wouldn't have called the Suikoden dungeons flawed so much as present. ?Dungeons in Suikoden are traditionally linear and easy to search. ?I believe that this is a plus, because the focus of the Suikoden series is character interaction and plot, not dungeon crawling. ?For the players who love to maximize their characters, instead of tremendous dungeons, there are side-zones that have no other purpose than to provide treasure and experience. ?At the player's leisure, he can pursue either the plot OR level up, instead of having to do them simultaneously.

These two factors didn't seem to influence your final scores very much, which is one reason why I believe that your review is very accurate. ?It's apparent that you enjoyed playing it, and put a lot of time into the game.
  • Knight of StyxKnight of Styx Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I was a bit surprised that your overall ranking was so high seeing as you had given fairly low scores to many elements of the game.
    Personally, I have been enjoying it tremendously. I love the series and have found the third installment to be a gratifying one. I did like the change of pace (for the Shuikoden series anyway) of the major plot. I loved the trinity site system and felt that they did enough differently during each of the major characters chapters that I didn't really notice the repetition. While I loved the Castle story I was kind of disappointed with the castle itself, I missed the cooking contest and whackamole from SII.
  • theblakemantheblakeman Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I know. I wanted a big mighty castle, not some lame manor. I wanted the cooking contests as well. And, I have to say the graphics were not very good. Also, I wish the plot involved politics more than supernatural. The music was lame, and the only tracks I liked were the boss battle themes and the opening theme. I haven't beaten the last boss yet- it's hard tounge.gif
  • MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Just a comment but the reviewer says it'd take 60-80 hours to complete the game, but i'm at the last boss at around 35 hours. Is the time it takes to complete a game in the reviews from personal experience or for the average player? Also is it for exploring everything in the game or just playing through it? I can understand how searching for all 108 stars (which i'm not doing) can be tedious but to add 25 hours of gameplay on just searching for some people seems rediculous.
  • theblakemantheblakeman Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    That's half the fun of the game fool.
  • MirkMirk Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    If searching for useless characters I'd never use was half the fun of this game it'd be an incredibly pathetic game. I found enough characters to get me to enjoy the game and get through it easily and that's all I need.
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I think the review was pretty accurate, however I think that Konami changed too much too soon. The jump to 3D could have been softened a bit if Konami had added more of the series' staples (true 6 character battles, cooking, baths,Leknaat, Castle building, customization) This game felt like it could have easily been any other well done RPG, as too many of the "Suikoden" elements were left out or radically altered. I feel that the intimate charm of the game is kind of gone now, and it seems like a big budget production value RPG(which is pretty much the standard nowadays)

The Trinity Sight System made the game seem a bit disjointed, but it was cool to see multiple sides of a story. Now, If someone can just make an RPG that truly lets you play as the "bad guys", I will be happy. There were a lot of good characters though, and before you know it, you are addicted to the game despite its flaws.

But in the overall picture, Suikoden III is definitely one of the best RPG's for the PS2, and no RPG fan should pass it up.
  • Holy Forest KnightHoly Forest Knight Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I have been waiting for this review and I think by the sounds of it I should buy the game?
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Are you asking us or telling us?