If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Front Page

2»

Comments

• Ihsans ShadeIhsans Shade Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Paws @ Jan. 12 2006,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm told I'm blessed that I'm red/green colourblind, but I haven't been to RPGfan for years so I'm presuming they're still using the same colour scheme? smile8.png[/QUOTE]
    I just started going there recently so, i'm not sure what scheme they used to have. Right now it's a green and black scheme.

I like the way their news is set up as well.The more important news is big and at the top with pictures respective to the topic. I think that would fit nicely here. Although, you don't want to look exactly like another webpage. It wouldn't hurt to have something similar that works easier.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    It's always been green and black, yeah, but now it's a bit easier on the eyes, even though I've always hated their color scheme. That said, I can't deny that their layout is a lot slicker, albeit seeming empty at times.

But yeah, RPGamer does the "keep features at the top of the page" thing already, but the current layout doesn't support that sort of thing very well. Anyway, I doubt it'll look anything like their page.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Ihsans Shade @ Jan. 12 2006,18:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I think you guys should change some colors around on the front page.

After coming from RPGfan to here, this just looks ugly. ?smile2.png ?You can make it look better than this!

A layout change wouldn't hurt either. Make the front page easier to navigate.

(You also need a thumbs up smiley face.) In the mean time, here's my rendition of a thumbs up. =D d[/QUOTE]
    Looking at RPGfan is like staring into a black hole. The pitch black background with the neon green type makes my eyes bleed. I really have no use for that kind of design. Quite frankly, their front page looks way too dry for my taste, as well. It's about as inviting as a crypt. I prefer the design and feel of RPGamer 100%.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I second that, I find black screens with coloured text really hard on the eyes. RPGamer might not look as fancy, but its easy to read. Heck, I kinda like the paper-texture on the forums. smile22.png
    edited January 2006
    Well, keep in mind that it's not going to be about the colors of the front page as much as it'll be the structural organization of the page.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    One of the first web design lessons I ever learned was that dark background colors with light font colors was 90% more readable and easier on the eyes for those using CRT monitors. Now, LCD is a lot more prevalent, and an LCD produces less light from white colors than a CRT, so I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is.
    edited January 2006
    I never really said RPGamer's color scheme was bad. I just thought it was time for a change. After coming to this webpage for years it hasn't changed very much at all. The front page anyways. I just thought it was time for some change, ya know?

I just happen to like the way RPGfan has their layout. When I read a review on RPGfan, I find it easier to read than when I come to read a review here.

Nothing on RPGamer is necessarily bad. An update is needed. That's how I feel.
    edited January 2006
    It has been updated, pretty recently, too. Granted, it's not a ton different structurally.

Also, and keep in mind here that I'm not speaking for the staff here just because I'm former staff, but it'll probably be pretty different from RPGFan simply because their layout isn't that unique, and RPGamer's layout has always had a certain sense of individuality.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I think you guys should change some colors around on the front page.

After coming from RPGfan to here, this just looks ugly. smile2.png You can make it look better than this![/QUOTE]

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I never really said RPGamer's color scheme was bad.[/QUOTE]

Heh =P
    edited January 2006
    Ouch. smile18.png I take that back. It's really not ugly, more that it feels bland at times.

A plus is that these forums are much better than the RPGfan forums. And besides the news, that's why people come to the site, right?
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2006
    Not counting the 10 Interaction sections readers can submit to? smile4.png
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    The percentage of folks that come to the forums versus those that come to the site is very small.

Dracos
    "flying on an aiiirplaaaane..."
    edited January 2006
    I changed my mind about this site. I do like the front page better than RPGfans. I must have been coming to this site for so long that when I saw something new, it was better, but after looking at it some more RPGfan's frontpage is bland. RPGamer for the win!!