If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Two Tales Travel to Traders

AethelredAethelred MemberFull Members
edited February 2006 in Latest Updates
Two Tales games had a slight falling out and started to bicker with one another until they decided to go their separate ways. In a huff, one of them headed off to Europe while the other struck out for North America.

News here.

Comments

• AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    well, even though this news is nothing new, I am glad I own my copy of Tales of Destiny II, and I MIGHT just import the european version on PSP, but thats doubtful, I am more interested in BOFIII (since I own I and II on GBA, I want them all on handhelds), which is also sadly a European exclusive, well as for now.

• AlbedoAlbedo Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    You can import both ToE and BoF3 form Europe... they're in English.
    ToE has not been announced yet for the US maybe because of the very poor sales of the same game for PS1 (ToD2...) that totalized.. uhm, 45'000 units? veeeery poor (while the game was veeeeery good).
    Anyway, let's hope for high sales of Legendia (Symphonia on Gamecube sold 300'000+ units in North America, while 250'000 in Europe, not bad at all!)

• AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    "ToE has not been announced yet for the US maybe because of the very poor sales of the same game for PS1 (ToD2...) that totalized.. uhm, 45'000 units? veeeery poor (while the game was veeeeery good)."

It sold 50k. And also, that's not why it's not being released in America. Here's a hint: Ubisoft, the publisher, would be just fine getting only even two-thirds the sales of the PSX release because it'd be pure profit for them all the way. How many copies do you really think they'll sell of Lost Magic and Astonishia Story?

"Anyway, let's hope for high sales of Legendia (Symphonia on Gamecube sold 300'000+ units in North America, while 250'000 in Europe, not bad at all!) "

Symphonia sold more than that, actually... 450k in North America, about 300k in Japan... your Europe figure looks about right offhand, but I don't have my figures in front of me. I don't think Legendia will perform anywhere near that well, though, mainly due to much lower reviews and the general crowding effect a lot of RPGs on the PS2 ranging from average to great suffer from.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I bought my copy of Tales Of Eternia first thing on Friday Morning.

Having said that, I won't actually start playing it untill I am finished with Breath Of Fire 3 on PSP.

Who would have thought that European PSP owners would get 2 major rpg releases on the same day, especially when neither of these games have been a given a US release date.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2006
    Just curious, does anyone know if Eternia's voice acting was re-recorded for the European release?

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Who would have thought that European PSP owners would get 2 major rpg releases on the same day, especially when neither of these games have been a given a US release date.[/QUOTE]
    If they had been new RPG's, I sure wouldn't. These games are old, though. I would hardly call them major releases.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Aethelred @ Feb. 12 2006,07:26)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE""Anyway, let's hope for high sales of Legendia (Symphonia on Gamecube sold 300'000+ units in North America, while 250'000 in Europe, not bad at all!) "

Symphonia sold more than that, actually... 450k in North America, about 300k in Japan... your Europe figure looks about right offhand, but I don't have my figures in front of me. I don't think Legendia will perform anywhere near that well, though, mainly due to much lower reviews and the general crowding effect a lot of RPGs on the PS2 ranging from average to great suffer from.[/QUOTE]
    No, no, of course ToL will sell INFINITY+1 more since its on the PS2, and we all know that the larger installed userbase of the PS2 means games released there make huge profits while games released on the gamecube sell to only tweleve fans~

</sarcasm regarding Namco's philosophy>

Anyhow, right on pretty much every count with ToL, though you're not including both a different art style, different dev team, and experimental game design among the reasons that it just isn't going to push those figures. =)

Dracos
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Albedo @ Feb. 12 2006,04:38)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"You can import both ToE and BoF3 form Europe... they're in English.
    ToE has not been announced yet for the US maybe because of the very poor sales of the same game for PS1 (ToD2...) that totalized.. uhm, 45'000 units? veeeery poor (while the game was veeeeery good).
    Anyway, let's hope for high sales of Legendia (Symphonia on Gamecube sold 300'000+ units in North America, while 250'000 in Europe, not bad at all!)[/QUOTE]
    The game wasn't very good. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have that spark that makes a million seller in any case, even if it'd had a better terrain to work on. The VAs were horrible for it and the attempt to tie into the success of a very unsuccessful game (ToD) was asking for trouble stateside.

Dracos
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Feb. 12 2006,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Who would have thought that European PSP owners would get 2 major rpg releases on the same day, especially when neither of these games have been a given a US release date.[/QUOTE]
    If they had been new RPG's, I sure wouldn't. These games are old, though. I would hardly call them major releases.[/QUOTE]
    Well I would.

Not only is Breath Of Fire 3 my favoite game in the series, I would also concider it to be one of my favorite rpg's of all time.

As for Tales Of Eternia, it is important to remember that this game was never released over here in Europe so for alot of European rpg fans this is a big deal since this will be the first time that most of us will ever be able to play this game. ( I own a US PS2 and a US copy of Tales Of Destiny 2/Eternia so for me it's not that big a deal since I know what to expect ).

I bought a PSP on launch day and I hardly ever used the damn thing untill Friday the 10th of Febuary. The bloody thing is finally earning it's keep now that there are games worth playing on it.

They may not be major in the sense that alot of rpg gamers have played both of these games before ( and most of us probably still own copies of these games for the PS1 ) but as PSP releases these are 2 major releases. Before these games came along, the PSP list of available games was very un-inspired.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Dracos @ Feb. 12 2006,09:05)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The game wasn't very good. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have that spark that makes a million seller in any case, even if it'd had a better terrain to work on. The VAs were horrible for it and the attempt to tie into the success of a very unsuccessful game (ToD) was asking for trouble stateside.

Dracos[/QUOTE]
    I think "it's not a good game" is a bit of a weak argument in justifying a game not selling well, since recent history has shown that even bad games have sold pretty well--the same goes with movies, as well.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Not only is Breath Of Fire 3 my favoite game in the series, I would also concider it to be one of my favorite rpg's of all time.[/QUOTE]
    That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Planescape: Torment is my favorite RPG of all time. Black Isle could mysteriously be revived and release it for Mac, but it would still be a minor release no matter how much I would love it.

I know ToE wasn't released in Europe, I live there. Like you, and the vast majority of other RPG-fans over here, I have a US console, and have played the game already.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Before these games came along, the PSP list of available games was very un-inspired.[/QUOTE]
    Ironic, it's because of titles like these (i.e ports, re-releases and such) that I find the PSP uninspiring and boring, since they seem to make up the bigger part of what the console has to offer. smile6.png

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited February 2006
    "Anyhow, right on pretty much every count with ToL, though you're not including both a different art style, different dev team, and experimental game design among the reasons that it just isn't going to push those figures. =)"

True. I was sort of figuring those things in with the lower reviews category, since those are issues that are going to contribute to the lower reviews (and poor word of mouth). The art style... well, the actual artwork is spectacular, high quality stuff from Production I.G. The "sprites," though, are pretty terrible. I would also replace "experimental" with "retrogressed," but I think we're mostly on the same page on this one (which, I think, is a first).

"No, no, of course ToL will sell INFINITY+1 more since its on the PS2, and we all know that the larger installed userbase of the PS2 means games released there make huge profits while games released on the gamecube sell to only tweleve fans~"

It's funny when phrased like that that, but there really are folks who argue this (or argue that Tales of Symphonia's PS2 port automatically would've sold more in the US than the GCN version did had the PS2 version been released, simply because of the PS2's larger userbase).

If Legendia cracks 100k, I'll be moderately surprised. 120k and I'll be outright impressed.

"Just curious, does anyone know if Eternia's voice acting was re-recorded for the European release? "

My understanding is that the PSP European version is the same as the American version. No rerecordings, and all of the stuff which was cut out of the American release has stayed out of the PSP release.

"Before these games came along, the PSP list of available games was very un-inspired."

You don't see the inherent inspiration in a game like Legend of Heroes? Why, just look at the NAME! That's a name that tells me I'm going to find an incredible amount of originality, innovation, and truly inspired design.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I remember enjoying playing Tales of Eternia (Destiny II) way back on the PS1 (one of those 50,000 smile1.png ). Hmmm, never finished the final boss though for some reason (probably distracted by something shiny).

I take it this game will work fine in a North American PSP? That and I have no clue where to buy it from that'll ship to Canada...
  • Tom ServoTom Servo New Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I loved Tales of Symphonia, is Legendia worth picking up?
    edited February 2006
    "I loved Tales of Symphonia, is Legendia worth picking up?"

Magic 8-ball says, "Signs point to no."

Unless you have cash to burn and want to see Namco localize Tales of the Abyss.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Or you really like the Champloo aesthetic.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited February 2006
    I would've said Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex aesthetic. But sure.

That and the music are the best things the game has going for it.
    edited February 2006
    Ah yeah, I hadn't thought about SAC. God eye, 'red.

Maybe this or this will show what I'm tryin' to say a little better.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited February 2006
    Good comparisons. However, if you'll take a look at Chloe's portrait, it looks nearly identical to one Major Motoko Kusanagi. Either way, yeah, there's definitely a similarity to Champloo, too. Good old Production IG -- that's one thing Legendia can't be faulted on, the character artwork.

Though I found out today that apparently Namco Hometek decided to leave out the voice acting for about the entire second half of the game.
    edited February 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Good comparisons. However, if you'll take a look at Chloe's portrait, it looks nearly identical to one Major Motoko Kusanagi. Either way, yeah, there's definitely a similarity to Champloo, too. Good old Production IG -- that's one thing Legendia can't be faulted on, the character artwork.

Though I found out today that apparently Namco Hometek decided to leave out the voice acting for about the entire second half of the game.[/QUOTE]

You think she looks like Kusanagi? Fuu seems a little closer but really it doesn't matter too much in the end. It's all definitely Production IG, as you said.

That sucks about the voice acting (it's during the post-game sidequesting, isn't it?). Namco Hometek really just does not like putting out a complete package.

Eris damnit, all this photoshopping of Legendia characters makes me want to play the game. Tell me it's awesome people! I need an excuse to buy a RPG that I'll play for maybe a week until MS Saga (AKA the culmination of the PS2's existence) comes out.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

edited February 2006
    Oddly, I'd say the character artwork was one of the earlier things that flagged me as 'meh', with the follow up none-too-smooth looking 3d take on such artwork being a nice follow up punch along the 'forget the art here' side. I'd much prefer the far brighter and well, less 'Hi, I'm wearing a take on an eva plugsuit' type art used in previous games.

Dracos
    edited February 2006
    "Tell me it's awesome people!"

Well, I can't give you a complete review since I haven't beaten the game, but I can definitely say that this is not an awesome game.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    I think ToL's okay. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I'll tell you what I think here.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"It's funny when phrased like that that, but there really are folks who argue this (or argue that Tales of Symphonia's PS2 port automatically would've sold more in the US than the GCN version did had the PS2 version been released, simply because of the PS2's larger userbase).[/QUOTE]
    No, those arguments aren't made for the US. Symphonia's PS2 port did automatically sell more than the GCN version in Japan, and you can bet that was why. Namco Hometek can't even get voice into the whole game, so it's pretty stupid to expect them to port it to another system just for US release.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That sucks about the voice acting (it's during the post-game sidequesting, isn't it?)[/QUOTE]
    There's nothing sidequest about that. It's the second half of the game. The credits may roll, but the plot's not over, and the spot in the menu that tells you how many times you've beaten the game hasn't gone up yet.

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Aethelred @ Feb. 13 2006,03:06)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Though I found out today that apparently Namco Hometek decided to leave out the voice acting for about the entire second half of the game.[/QUOTE]
    That's just (expletive). ?So not only do they (by many accounts) translate a mediocre Tales game, but they do a half-assed job with the localisation. ?There are times when Namco Hometek really pisses me off.

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ClessCless Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ Feb. 14 2006,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That't just (expletive). So not only do they (by many accounts) translate a mediocre Tales game, but they do a half-assed job with the localisation. There are times when Namco Hometek really pisses me off.[/QUOTE]
    the reason, straight from the horse's mouth

Anyway, besides that, this game's localization is absolutely top notch and was handled with intensive care.

I'm enjoying this game very much. The dungeons and linearity suck, but those are my only major issues with this game. The characters in this game are by far my favorite in the series.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Well Namco spends hardly any money promoting the games and they wonder why they don't sell so well.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    Did you even play Symphonia cap?

Edit: I can't read.
    edited February 2006
    "No, those arguments aren't made for the US. Symphonia's PS2 port did automatically sell more than the GCN version in Japan, and you can bet that was why."

It was pretty narrow, but yeah, the PS2 version in the end sold slightly more than the GCN version. I was talking about American and European sales, though. Even if the PS2 version had come out in America, it wouldn't have pulled those kinds of sales

And yes, there are people that make that argument.

"Namco Hometek can't even get voice into the whole game, so it's pretty stupid to expect them to port it to another system just for US release."

I don't recall ever saying Namco Hometek should've ported ToL to any other system. I just stated the reasons why the game would not sell as well as Symphonia. Analysis of sales potential does not equate to recommending or expecting a particular course of action.
  • DuranteDurante Member Full Members
    edited February 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Feb. 13 2006,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Tell me it's awesome people![/QUOTE]
    It's awesome!
    But seriously, I enjoy it a lot currently (30 hours in). The humour is great, but not too overdone, there's some drama and the gameplay is also very nice. The battle system rocks, at least on manual mode. The abundance of random battles is not that bad since they only take about 20 seconds on average. The 2D artwork is great, the 3D backgrounds are lush, and the 3D characters are acceptable and even quite impressive during the battles.

So, there you have it. It is in no way mediocre to me, in fact I like it more than DQ8, but it's not like that was my favourite RPG of last year smile10.png

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but I am usually one of those people who whines for inclusion of the original japanese VA. Of course, I'd have preferred that here as well, especially since they didn't voice some parts of the game, but what's there is generally acceptable, and even great in the case of some characters.

edited February 2006
    Thanks Durante, but you're a little late. MS Saga drops in two days and as far as I'm concerned, 2006 should just end afterwards, since everything else that comes out this year won't be able to compare (except for Shadow Hearts FtNW).

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis