The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Persona 3 - New Media

madhtrmadhtr Full MemberFull Members
edited March 2006 in Latest Updates
To the delight of Shin Megami Tensei fans, Atlus announced Persona 3 this week. In hopes of delighting them further, Atlus also released this very long introduction trailer.

<span style='color:blue'>1 Movie</span>
Facebook
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    That's more like it.

More of my fav. RPG series, please.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • YoukoYouko Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Woah, and here I'd thought Persona was yet another series lost to the sands of time and given up any hope of seeing another game long ago. smile3.png
  • Ihsans ShadeIhsans Shade Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    This is amazing! This is a very good year for RPGs.
  • MforMonikerMforMoniker New Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Indeed, Persona is one of my favorites series. Mature and futuristic
    edited March 2006
    very cool
    edited March 2006
    why can I not start a new topic
  • starbladestarblade Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MforMoniker @ Mar. 09 2006,14:50)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"why can I not start a new topic[/QUOTE]
    I don't know, but I do know that Persona 3 has a featured trailer of it that has me brimming with zealotry.

To me, it seems that 2006 will be a touchstone year for Rpgs, akin to the 1999 saturation of the market. Some anticipated titles that have a tentative release date of 2006 include: Kingdom Hearts 2, Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden V, Valkyri Profile:Slimera, Xenosaga III, Phantasy Star Universe, and now Persona 3? Even though some of the titles haven't been confirmed for a North American release, it still has the capacity of instilling excitment of the rpg community and even draw back some of those dormant players.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, the animations for devil transformations... not sure those'll fly in Unistat.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited March 2006
    The risk that they won't angers me beyond words.

I wish the US would just get a damn grip.
  • Ihsans ShadeIhsans Shade Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(starblade @ Mar. 09 2006,15:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MforMoniker @ Mar. 09 2006,14:50)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"why can I not start a new topic[/QUOTE]
    I don't know, but I do know that Persona 3 has a featured trailer of it that has me brimming with zealotry.

To me, it seems that 2006 will be a touchstone year for Rpgs, akin to the 1999 saturation of the market. Some anticipated titles that have a tentative release date of 2006 include: Kingdom Hearts 2, Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden V, Valkyri Profile:Slimera, Xenosaga III, Phantasy Star Universe, and now Persona 3? Even though some of the titles haven't been confirmed for a North American release, it still has the capacity of instilling excitment of the rpg community and even draw back some of those dormant players.[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget Secret of Mana 4 for the PS2!
  • JochieJochie Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    This looks pretty cool. My brain is definitely making a connection between SMT/Persona games and great visual style. I want.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2006
    Really bizarre trailer. Was there any reason for their misspelling of "Comming soon"?

• Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    If they do anything to the transformation animations... I'm gonna have to slap some people.
  • anandaananda Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I don?t know; judging from what I have seen in the Trailer, this might be a little too weird for my taste?
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Sweet! I love the series.
    The game looks good. I'm excited.
  • DryMaltExtractDryMaltExtract Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I don't think there'd be a point in bringing it over if they have to censor it. Looks like they'd have to censor a lot.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Anyone seen this somewhere in a different movie format? I can't seem to get windows media player to work.
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(DryMaltExtract @ Mar. 12 2006,22:22)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I don't think there'd be a point in bringing it over if they have to censor it. Looks like they'd have to censor a lot.[/QUOTE]
    A lot? Not really... there's nothing in the footage save for the Persona-summoning sequence that struck me as something NA would replace with something softer, naively believeing that it would actually make any difference.
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Mar. 09 2006,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The risk that they won't angers me beyond words.

I wish the US would just get a damn grip.[/QUOTE]
    TANSTAAFL, tovarish. You leech onto the Unistat market and you're gonna have to make certain concessions along the way.

But, if it really bothers you that much maybe you and others like you in the PAL region could figure out how to make yourselves actually attractive to the industry. Then you wouldn't have to deal with our "naivete"!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"TANSTAAFL, tovarish. You leech onto the Unistat market and you're gonna have to make certain concessions along the way.[/QUOTE]
    I don't "leech". I pay money for my games.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"But, if it really bothers you that much maybe you and others like you in the PAL region could figure out how to make yourselves actually attractive to the industry.[/QUOTE]
    As I have stated before on this board, I have studied japanese. These days I don't have time to do so, but I plan to continue my studies one day. When I'm good enough at the language, I will never buy a translated game again.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE" Then you wouldn't have to deal with our "naivete"![/QUOTE]
    Seems like I hit a nerve, but that should have been expected. In your previous post in this thread, you seemed rather negative towards the possibillity of a censor too. How ironic.
    edited March 2006
    Of course it sucks. Atlus should be able to get away with it, seeing as how stuff like Grand Theft Auto dominates the market, but for some reason the smaller companies here in Unistat think they have to censor things or else masses of people with pitchforks will come and burn down their offices. It's reverse art house theater logic... which I do not comprehend.

Nerve? It just bugs the crap out of me that you'd blame Unistat's social norms instead of the small market companies in the industry that don't recognize that they have a lot more lattitude than the big publishers as far as content goes.

As for leech, I meant that in the context of you attaching yourself to a larger entity for the purpose of attaining something you wanted. I know you pay for your stuff and I wouldn't try and insinuate otherwise. smile1.png

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Thatblack1Thatblack1 New Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Ah Persona 3, I hope it goes unchanged....or that the changes are marginal that 1. it doesnt take from the story and 2. it just doesn't take away from teh whole Shin Megami feel.

I've been playing this series since i was in 7th grade...i'm about to graduate college and glad I stuck it out for so long. smile24.png
    edited March 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"but for some reason the smaller companies here in Unistat think they have to censor things or else masses of people with pitchforks will come and burn down their offices. It's reverse art house theater logic... which I do not comprehend.[/QUOTE]
    Is that really how it is, though? Why would they censor without being told by "higher-ups" that thisandthat should be removed from the game? I fail to see how it's solely a case of fear of the masses.

Besides, the game will most likely recieve an M rating, like all SMT games before it. Since this explains the contents of the game, shouldn't that be enough to cover up? I've always wondered what the point with those ratings were, since nobody seems to care about them when they're finally put on the case... there's a lot of fuss about them beforehand though.

• MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Eh, I'd be happy if they changed the summoning animations. It's kinda emo and silly.

Oh, and what's with the new, generic anime art? What happened to the slick, creepy, sexy designs from...well, every other smt/persona game?

Ah, well, the cinemas stink imo, but the actual game itself looks pretty cool. And I STILL want Innocent Sin and an uncensored Revelations: Persona to come out stateside.
    sup?
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Maudren @ Mar. 13 2006,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and what's with the new, generic anime art? What happened to the slick, creepy, sexy designs from...well, every other smt/persona game?[/QUOTE]
    I thought the character designs for the first two Personas (especially the first) looked more generic than the third one's...
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Gouden Draak @ Mar. 12 2006,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Anyone seen this somewhere in a different movie format? I can't seem to get windows media player to work.[/QUOTE]
    Well, you can try this from GameTrailers.com (don't you have them bookmarked yet?), but it's even bigger than the one here, weighing in at 132MB. On the plus side, it is in friendly QuickTime Movie format.

Another thing you might consider is checking out the VLC media player. My comp couldn't play the RPGamer AVI version on it's own, but with VLC it worked without a problem. I'm on a Mac, and your mileage may vary, but they have versions for every computer platform, and they seem to know what they're doing. Oh, and they don't ask for money, either, so you basically can't lose. I'd definitely give them a looksee, were I you. I've been able to watch a lot of movies that otherwise wouldn't work on my computer with VLC.

As for the trailer itself, I thought the style looked really cool, and I am definitely digging that opening theme song. I'm not quite so sure about that old guy sitting there talking from behind his desk for five minutes--that's a bit of a snooze fest. The actual ingame graphics, when they get to them, are pretty nice looking, to my eyes.

As for the bullet-through-the-head transformation, all I can say is WTF? That's clearly out there. Original, perhaps, but still really kind of ridiculous. As for making it past the hand-wringing bleeding heart faction and the Right Wing Neo-Religiousistas--well, good luck on that one. Any company that didn't take into account the possible repercussions would be kind of silly. Take Two seem to have gotten into a fair amount of trouble with their border-pushing GTA series, and I'm not too sure a little company like Atlus could weather a great storm of controversy, should one arise.

In terms of probability, the use of cigarettes was edited out of La Pucelle, fer crying out loud. Kids shooting themselves in the head might make some companies hesitant, to say the least.

Personally, I can think of a lot of people who I wouldn't mind encouraging to commit suicide, but it's not something that is nearly as acceptable to mainstream (and of course by that I mean the 10% or so with really big mouths) America.

And you shouldn't take offense at Solon's words, Davis. He was talking about America, not California. Everyone knows you guys travel in quite a different orbit around the sun from the rest of the planet. smile4.png In the country proper, such things as children shooting themselves in the head would be considered taboo. At least to the people who make enough noise to dominate everyone else in the country, who may complain about how things are run but are generally passive blobs of Jell-O.
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Mar. 13 2006,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Everyone knows you guys travel in quite a different orbit around the sun from the rest of the planet. smile4.png[/QUOTE]
    Throw three totally different people in the same boundary and see what you get. smile4.png

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited March 2006
    Regardless, if this hits in 2006, I know that I am going to have a REALLY hard time choosing GOTY. @_@
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    I`m not quite sure what to make of it... I didn`t really have 17 minutes to watch the video so I just saw about 5-7 minutes of it. Looked like some weird art video and the only impression I got of the game is characters and that gun-thing....

That creeps me out really. Its not the idea of suicide that bothers me - I can accept a graphic image of that if its a part of the story. But the fact that its apparently done every time you transform into a Personae? THAT`s creepy. Suicide reduced into a transformation gimmick..... smile8.png