If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamers choice of movie file types.

SephirothYuyXSephirothYuyX I Am, Who I Am.Full Members
edited March 2006 in Site & Forum Support
Why is it that .movs are used when the majority of people use WMP to play thier movies?

.movs have a larger file size and worse quality both in visuals and sound. Not to mention you have to use the God forsaken quicktime.

Why not use .mpg? Ive seen .wmv being used recently, atleast thats better than .mov.

Comments

• madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SephirothYuyX @ Mar. 25 2006,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that .movs are used when the majority of people use WMP to play thier movies?

.movs have a larger file size and worse quality both in visuals and sound. Not to mention you have to use the God forsaken quicktime.

Why not use .mpg? Ive seen .wmv being used recently, atleast thats better than .mov.[/QUOTE]
    We actually do not create and for the most part, convert the video files we post. Most of the ones we receive are posted as is and therefore, it's not a choice but rather a decision. Most of us here don't have the capabilities to convert videos anyway, unfortunately.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SephirothYuyXSephirothYuyX I Am, Who I Am. Full Members
    edited March 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(madhtr @ Mar. 25 2006,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SephirothYuyX @ Mar. 25 2006,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that .movs are used when the majority of people use WMP to play thier movies?

Why not use .mpg? Ive seen .wmv being used recently, atleast thats better than .mov.[/QUOTE]
    We actually do not create and for the most part, convert the video files we post. Most of the ones we receive are posted as is and therefore, it's not a choice but rather a decision. Most of us here don't have the capabilities to convert videos anyway, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
    Perhapse this is a position that should be added then. It's a simple process and only takes as long as the video is, and can be done with free programs such as Virtualdub.

Granted it's wonderful that the site is hosting the video for free, but its a pain to dowload a half a minute video thats over 15mb.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2006
    A position solely for converting movie files seems a tad wasteful, considering the rate at which we post movies. If you know of some software capable of doing so, feel free to toss the links up, or email them to news@rpgamer.com smile1.png
  • ShuemaisShuemais Member Full Members
    edited March 2006
    As Paws has nicely summed everything up, I think that settles this thread for now.

I'll lock it for the time being. If it needs to be re-opened later, I don't see a problem with that.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2006
    It is my understanding that this site (as well as other media outlets) get most of their trailers from the developers and publishers of the games these videos promote. ?It is possible that by modifying the file by converting it from one format to another might raise copyright issues. ?As such, even if the site had the capability to convert files, there may be issues with them using said capability.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business