If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - News and Media

madhtrmadhtr Full MemberFull Members
edited April 2006 in Latest Updates
Konami has announced yet another Castlevania title, this one being a sequel to the popular Nintendo DS title. A new set of protagonists set off to save the world once again from the clutches of Dracula.

<span style='color:blue'>The story</span>

To go along with the shiny announcement, Konami has revealed a couple screens to show off to friends. With only weeks left before E3, fans should expect more media to be unveiled at the gaming show.

<span style='color:blue'>The media</span>
Facebook
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2006
    The Morris clan is back! smile25.png

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    Who still played with Lecarde.
  • Noj AirkNoj Airk Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    That's amazing; my friend Phil and I were trying to write our own stories for how we think a Castlevania movie should go - his was set in the WWII era.
    I do also say I like the title..."Portrait of Ruin" - nice. And from the looks of things, we finally get a Castlevania that is really about just fighting the forces of Darkness, and not just the Castle Dracula itself. I remember my friend was telling me, like 10 years ago, that Symphony of the Night was going to be a semi-globe trotting game. Yup...good times............he was way off. smile4.png
    Anyway, this looks good.
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Noj Airk @ Apr. 21 2006,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"That's amazing; my friend Phil and I were trying to write our own stories for how we think a Castlevania movie should go - his was set in the WWII era.[/QUOTE]
    This reminded me of my favorite post in the GAF thread about PoR.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Just what we needed, another WWII game. smile5.png[/QUOTE]

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Apr. 21 2006,16:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The Morris clan is back! ?smile25.png[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry, but who is the Morris clan exactly? Were they in the Bloodlines entry or something?
    edited April 2006
    Quincey Morris: everyone's favorite bowie-knife toting cowboy in Bram Stoker's Dracula and ancestor to John Morris, co-star of Bloodlines. Duh!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I thought that the handhelds and the console games were going to follow two distinct paths.. The handheld ones following the path after his death in 1999 and the console ones folloing the path before that. At least that's what I remember reading when Dawn of Sorrow came out. I'll freely admit to being wrong if it's proven otherwise.

Eh. I'd rather had psuedo futuristic with swords then WWII era with whips again, anyway. As it looks like whips are the weapon of choice for this Castlevania... The whips are kinda lame in my opinion. Hopefully they will have the option to use swords as well. Make it more RPGesque with equiping different weapons.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Old news, but I hadn't seen the screens. I hunger for some more oldschool 2D, so I'm already excited.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Apr. 21 2006,19:49)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Old news, but I hadn't seen the screens. I hunger for some more oldschool 2D, so I'm already excited.[/QUOTE]
    Ah, yes, old news as of... Oh wait, it was official this morning, so not so late smile6.png
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2006
    The confirmation was up on MB 4 days ago, upon which I even commented somewhere on this board.

So yeah. Old news.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    This game rocks already. Can't wait to hear some musics too. :D
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    That first screen makes them look like they are doing some kind of Vegas act. I like the character design so far, no Yoshtaka Amano style Zombie men, or long white haired Bishounen fem boys. And there's a GIRL! I wonder if she is a familiar.
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Apr. 21 2006,20:48)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The confirmation was up on MB 4 days ago, upon which I even commented somewhere on this board.

So yeah. Old news.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, because Magicbox is obviously an official source. Today was the first day that Konami officially announced the game. Yes, it was in Nintendo Power as well. However, Konami didn't officially announce the game until they officially released an official press release. Understanding the officiality this time? Hopefully my made up words are up to your satisfaction.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2006
    Someone's sour. smile1.png
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I already want this game.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ Apr. 22 2006,07:05)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I already want this game.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, I can't wait. I loved Dawn of Sorrow.

My "Most Anticipated DS Titles" list is starting to get pretty crowded, though.
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Solon @ Apr. 22 2006,06:28)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Someone's sour. smile1.png[/QUOTE]
    If by sour, you mean right, then yes, yes I am smile6.png
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2006
    I never played Bloodlines, and I don't remember a Jonathan Morris in the book when I read it years back - then again, it was a very rough translation, so the name might have been different; and I never saw the movie 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' - was it any good?
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Looks like a pretty cool game. Wonder how the DS stylus will be used this time, at least beyond the obvious magic sealing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I loved Dawn Of Sorrow on the DS but in my opinion Symphony Of The Night is still the best Castlevania game out there. Dawn Of Sorrow came very ( very, very ) close but I was dissapointed with with how Konami forced all those clumsy touch screen elements ( Sealing Souls, destroying blocks ) on us, I felt as if these things disrupted the natural flow of gameplay.

Hopefully Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin will stay well clear of all that touch screen nonsense.
  • DreydanDreydan Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Countless people have foiled Drac's plans in the past that they should create a game with him as the protagonist with the goal of ressurrecting his own castle and thwarting any heroes that get in his way. Either that or get a Brinks home security system.
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Noj Airk @ Apr. 22 2006,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I never played Bloodlines, and I don't remember a Jonathan Morris in the book when I read it years back - then again, it was a very rough translation, so the name might have been different; and I never saw the movie 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' - was it any good?[/QUOTE]
    Quincey was in the book, not John. smile1.png

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis