If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Comments

• EldracEldrac Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    *shakes head in disbalief at nintendo*
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2006
    O_o

That is all.
  • PikeyPikey Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I'm sure the games will make up for the name. I hope...

Nevertheless, it is an incredibly stupid name.
  • MagRowanMagRowan Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Very interesting propaganda... I wonder if they broke up laughing when they wrote it?
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Wiierd
    "<span class="spoiler">and old news</span>"
  • naia28naia28 Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I actually like the way it looks better than it sounds. I think people need to give it time. It doesn't change the games being announced for it
  • ShykidShykid Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    The only thing that pisses me off about it is the people making all the stupid jokes.

Other than that... it's weird, but whatever. The name doesn't really indicate the quality of the games or the hardware.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Shykid @ Apr. 28 2006,16:23)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The only thing that pisses me off about it is the people making all the stupid jokes.[/QUOTE]
    You should be glad then that you aren't on the RPGamer staff. We had *way* too much fun with that yesterday.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Slayer of God @ Apr. 28 2006,16:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Shykid @ Apr. 28 2006,16:23)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The only thing that pisses me off about it is the people making all the stupid jokes.[/QUOTE]
    You should be glad then that you aren't on the RPGamer staff. We had *way* too much fun with that yesterday.[/QUOTE]
    "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" huh? smile6.png
  • DrahksenzuDrahksenzu Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    They should have stuck with Revolution but I'll probably buy one anyways just feel more stupid saying, hey you get any Wii's in yet?

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Actually, I would've felt stupid asking a clerk at EBstop if he had any Revolutions for sale. They're unskilled laborers, not covert KGB operatives.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

• Options
    edited April 2006
    Actually, I like the name a lot. At first, it was really weird, but it sorta grew on me.

It still is weird, the name is just awkward and out there, but I think that's what Nintendo was aiming for in the first place. It's weird, it stands out, it has a stylish and quirky feel.

Not to sound like Nintendo fanboy, but I really like the name, all bad joking aside.
  • BleuVIIBleuVII Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Ummm.... Where do I begin with this?

First off, many cultures WILL STILL have trouble pronouncing this. ?Take any place in Central to Eastern Europe/ Russia, who will read it as "Vii." ?Heck, the Japanese even got RID of the Kana for "wi" (ゐ/ヰ).

Second, just... wow... ?Wii sounds like "wee," a euphemism for "piss." ?Actually, I think that describes this new marketing strategy quite well.

• RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Bleu_vii @ Apr. 28 2006,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Second, just... wow... Wii sounds like "wee," a euphemism for "piss." Actually, I think that describes this new marketing strategy quite well.[/QUOTE]
    Don't you think that's just a wii bit harsh?
  • SuikojinSuikojin Danger Zone! Full Members
    edited April 2006
    The name isn't that bad to me, and really, who cares what it is called? It is all about the game... Yeesh.

And it has only been like 2 or 3 days of hearing about this and I am already tired of the lame jokes about it.

*Sigh*
    Wii it is though.

I Wiilcome the name.
    Doing the Chain Chomp Stomp at the GS Forums!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2006
    No stupider than a console with a big X on it called Xbox. smile25.png
    edited April 2006
    The 360 doesn't even have a X on it no more. smile28.png

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Datguy86Datguy86 Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    In other news:

In order to capitalize on the upcoming hype of motion sensor controllers, Sony has announced the intention to release a floor-based gamepad for use with their upcoming game "Gym Class." The controller, called the Playstation Entertainment Emulator (or P-E-E) will allow the player to run in place while some douchebag yells at you to run in place faster. This controller will come packaged with all PS3 consoles.

Soon after this was announced, Panasonic; developer of the "Q" (a Nintendo GameCube that allowed you to play DVDs) has another joint project in development - this time with both Sony and Nintendo. A "PS3/Wii hybrid focusing on interactive movement controllers. We call it the P-E-E/Wii." Upon this anouncement, all reporters left the press room as they were unable to keep journalistic professionalism intact.

Finally, in possible related news, Bill Gates was seen in the corner of a local sandlot kicking at dust and muttering "I didn't wanna be invited anyway."
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I seriously hoping this is released in 2006. If so, we can offcially decalre 2006 the year of Snakes on a Wii.

Also, the Japanse will just call it uii. Part of the reason they don't have the character wi any more is because they don't need it. Interestingly, this still maintains an image similar to wii if writen in hiragana (ういい ). Even if katakana it would have teh same shape as wii would (ウイイ ).

<span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • DullahanDullahan Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Tycho said it best:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060428.jpg

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"You really must be joking. What names were rejected, that something like Wii remained vertical at the end of it?[/QUOTE]
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Apr. 28 2006,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Actually, I would've felt stupid asking a clerk at EBstop if he had any Revolutions for sale. They're unskilled laborers, not covert KGB operatives.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]
    So, You would feel more comfortable asking the clerk at EB if he/she had any Wii ( Wee ) for sale?

It's not a good name for a conslole ( or anything else for that matter ). I'm now embarressed to tell people which of the 3 next gen consoles I 'm going to buy. I'm still going to buy one, but I won't be refering to it as the Wii.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Many think this might be a hoax, something 10x bigger than I-Love-Bees...
  • dampflamesdampflames Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Xerain @ Apr. 28 2006,22:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I seriously hoping this is released in 2006. If so, we can offcially decalre 2006 the year of Snakes on a Wii.

Also, the Japanse will just call it uii. Part of the reason they don't have the character wi any more is because they don't need it. Interestingly, this still maintains an image similar to wii if writen in hiragana (ういい ). Even if katakana it would have teh same shape as wii would (ウイイ ).[/QUOTE]
    Actually, on the official Nintendo site for Japan, they spell Wii, ウィー in Katakana..

And thanks for the person who posted about having a letter for wi in Kana in Japanese.. That was interesting to note.
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Wind @ Apr. 29 2006,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm now embarressed to tell people which of the 3 next gen consoles I 'm going to buy. I'm still going to buy one, but I won't be refering to it as the Wii.[/QUOTE]
    Oh noes, you don't look cool saying Wii!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Davis @ Apr. 29 2006,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Oh noes, you don't look cool saying Wii!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, it's pretty sad how many people think the name of an object will somehow reflect on their sense of self-image, eh? I wonder how many of these people complaining about the name will change their minds about the Wii -- a system that wishes to draw in new gamers from new demographics -- when it starts attracting a broader user base (in terms of gender and age diversity). Six of my female friends are excited about this new system, and they never considered console games before (and only one plays PC games). And when the Wii is released, I'll finally be able to play console games with them! Nintendo has been wii-ly, wii-ly good to me.

It'd be pretty funny if that cute girl at school rejects one of these complainers because they only think of the new system that introduced her to console games as a euphemism for 'piss.'
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Elranzer @ Apr. 29 2006,06:37)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Many think this might be a hoax, something 10x bigger than I-Love-Bees...[/QUOTE]
    And I'm one of them. ?I'm ready for Nintendo to spring the actual official name on us at E3.

Then I'll be wishing it was still Wii.....
  • He Who LurksHe Who Lurks AWESOME! Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Worst... name... EVER!
    I'm He Who Lurks, and I'm AWESOME!
  • Knight of StyxKnight of Styx Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    Im not sure I want a console that referrs to me peeing myself.
    And the controllers look awful

That is all.

Edit: Well tha would be all if I could Frikkin' Spell.

• AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    "Im not sure I want a console that referrs to me peeing myself. "

Are you five years old?
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Am I the only one who was immediately reminded of this?

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.shtml NWS! (Edit by Master Chief)