If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Amano Working on Final Fantasy XIII

2»

Comments

• WindWind Member Full Members
    edited April 2006
    I love Amano's art work and I love his character designs however I think his artwork doesn't really suit 3D games.

Although I loved FFIX I was never 100% happy with any ( well except for Garnett and Vi Vi ) of the character designs in that game. I also hated the GGI make-overs that the cast of FFVI got in the PS1 port, Ugly.
  • DreydanDreydan Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I agree those visuals could have been better. I liked the one for one of those remakes of FF1 with Garland vs. the dragon.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Wind @ Apr. 29 2006,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I love Amano's art work and I love his character designs however I think his artwork doesn't really suit 3D games.

Although I loved FFIX I was never 100% happy with any ( well except for Garnett and Vi Vi ) of the character designs in that game. I also hated the GGI make-overs that the cast of FFVI got in the PS1 port, Ugly.[/QUOTE]
    Someone else got handed the character designs he made. ?I have a Final Fantasy IX artbook lying around somewhere and I noticed that the art that the game models were based on were taken from drawings created by a different artist. ?If you look at Amano's original design of Zidane and compare him to his in-game model, you'd notice that there are significant differences in his appearance in the game than in Amano's original concept.

His character concepts were handed off to another artist who created the designs that the in game character models were based on. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the other artist. I would have to find my artbook in order to tell you.

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MizralMizral Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Amano's work is, in my opinion, the crux of what Final Fantasy is about. It was derailed there for several years - I would argue that 10 and 8 are not even truely Final Fantasy games, but something different - something flat and rather lost.

Amano's art seems to permiate through the game, and that the game is often even built around his work. FF6 has been the greatest installment of the series (judged by many fans at least), I believe, because of his effort, and his ideas.

The artistic approach should always be primary. I would be quite pleased if Final Fantasy actually removed much of the gameplay in their games and focused rather on a different form of gaming that impressed storyline and graphical improvements on sensational artwork rather than actual gameplay.

Show us once more how it's done, Square.
  • AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    " The artistic approach should always be primary. I would be quite pleased if Final Fantasy actually removed much of the gameplay in their games and focused rather on a different form of gaming that impressed storyline and graphical improvements on sensational artwork rather than actual gameplay."

Yuck. No thanks.
  • MizralMizral Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Aethelred @ May 07 2006,08:12)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"" The artistic approach should always be primary. I would be quite pleased if Final Fantasy actually removed much of the gameplay in their games and focused rather on a different form of gaming that impressed storyline and graphical improvements on sensational artwork rather than actual gameplay."

Yuck. No thanks.[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps it's just me then. However, there are a thousand JRPG's out there. Gameplay on them is usually miss, but even when they hit, it's usually fairly simplistic. I'd like to see a much more realistic FF game, with far less magic, perhaps only 1 or 2 playable characters (you could only play one at a time, the others would be purely CPU driven), but a very detailed graphical universe, and a character style that was both unique, and intuitive on the controls.

In other words, I'd like to see the MAIN character become THE focal point, and the world around him or her built around them.

(Also, please, Square, can we get a playable character that can change throughout the game in terms of looks & ability? Fable showed the way here. There's no reason this isn't the standard outside of laziness.)
  • AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    "Perhaps it's just me then. However, there are a thousand JRPG's out there. Gameplay on them is usually miss, but even when they hit, it's usually fairly simplistic. I'd like to see a much more realistic FF game, with far less magic, perhaps only 1 or 2 playable characters (you could only play one at a time, the others would be purely CPU driven), but a very detailed graphical universe, and a character style that was both unique, and intuitive on the controls."

You just described Final Fantasy XII. Have fun this November!
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Mizral @ May 07 2006,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I would be quite pleased if Final Fantasy actually removed much of the gameplay in their games and focused rather on a different form of gaming that impressed storyline and graphical improvements on sensational artwork rather than actual gameplay.[/QUOTE]
    Behold, the death of gaming.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Um... then why not buy a painting?