If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square's Gift Basket of FFX-2 Details

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
Everything sounds good so far, but the part about thieves stealing "time" sounds a bit confusing. I think it means that, since certain battle moves take up different amounts of the ATB, thieves will be able to steal ATB time from the gauges of enemies.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• RadioDazeRadioDaze New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Hmmm.....sounds interesting...but with all things, we'll never really know how it'll pan out until someone plays it. This new concept has the potential to add a new element to the battle sequences, or seriously piss off gamers, depending on how its implimented.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Sounds to me like they're borrowing some of the battle system from Lunar.

Which is great to me - Lunar 1&2 are my faves of all time. xmas.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Here's hoping Wakka, Lulu, Kimarhi, and Tidus are playable characters. We need SOME male characters in the game!

Hopefully, this game will make FFX seem better than it really was.
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    The "new" ATB system seems kind of like the charge times of the CTB system, so it really is not that much of a stretch. Taking a page out of the Suikoden III book, FF characters can now work the fields! This game is sounding better and better every time I see an update. I almost don't want to read any of it as I will spoil it for myself, but...

I am sure there will be a playable male character or two, I just hope it is new people and not Kimhari or Tidus. I hope that the only two returning playables are Yuna and Rikku, this is a good way to make sure nobody just uses their favorites and leaves the others behind.

Only time will tell what this game will turn out to be, but it looks like we have another winner!
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    what...? I thought all summons were "<span class="spoiler">gone at the end of FFX ALONG WITH TIDUS--HE'S GONE DAGNABIT!!!!</span>"
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Tidus was "<span class="spoiler">not only in the actual ending to FFX, but he was in the additional Another Story ending, so he clearly isn't gone.</span>"
  • Bossy lil QuistyBossy lil Quisty Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Temple_Priestess @ Dec. 23 2002,16:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"what...? ?I thought all summons were "<span class="spoiler">gone at the end of FFX ALONG WITH TIDUS--HE'S GONE DAGNABIT!!!!</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well obviously, we were mistaken and decieved, for the reason this whole fiasco of "FFX - 2" came about, was when they thought they saw Tidus on a sphere somewhere. The Aeons may very well be back along with the rest of them...
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 23 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Tidus was "<span class="spoiler">not only in the actual ending to FFX, but he was in the additional Another Story ending, so he clearly isn't gone.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Then explain this. Shiva says "<span class="spoiler">to Tidus that they would dream him a new ocean to swim in. How can he still be in Spira? There aren't any "new" oceans there.</span>"
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bossy lil Quisty @ Dec. 23 2002,16:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well obviously, we were mistaken and decieved, for the reason this whole fiasco of "FFX - 2" came about, was when they thought they saw Tidus on a sphere somewhere. The Aeons may very well be back along with the rest of them...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    heh, well obviously now changing the whole storyline just to make a sequel must make sense in whatever world Square exists.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Temple_Priestess @ Dec. 23 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 23 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Tidus was "<span class="spoiler">not only in the actual ending to FFX, but he was in the additional Another Story ending, so he clearly isn't gone.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Then explain this. ?Shiva says "<span class="spoiler">to Tidus that they would dream him a new ocean to swim in. ?How can he still be in Spira? ?There aren't any "new" oceans there.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "<span class="spoiler">Who's to say that Shiva wasn't speaking metaphorically? You ask how he can still be in Spira, but you find it perfectly logical that he could have traveled through time, been someone's dream, and all that stuff.</span>" At some point, you have to give in to suspension of belief in order to enjoy the story.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 23 2002,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Temple_Priestess @ Dec. 23 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Tidus was "<span class="spoiler">not only in the actual ending to FFX, but he was in the additional Another Story ending, so he clearly isn't gone.</span>"
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Then explain this. ?Shiva says "<span class="spoiler">to Tidus that they would dream him a new ocean to swim in. ?How can he still be in Spira? ?There aren't any "new" oceans there.</span>"[/quote]
    "<span class="spoiler">Who's to say that Shiva wasn't speaking metaphorically? You ask how he can still be in Spira, but you find it perfectly logical that he could have traveled through time, been someone's dream, and all that stuff.</span>" At some point, you have to give in to suspension of belief in order to enjoy the story.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Then why would they bother putting it in the story text? Suspension of what belief? That Tidus "<span class="spoiler">didn't die/disappear when everyone else--Jecht, Auron, etc--did? What made it so Tidus could come back after you see him in the Farplane?</span>"
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I have a sinking feeling that the outfits for a number of the job classes will be equally revealing with regards to the female characters. ?It's possible that that Rikku's outfit is actually the female thief's outfit. ?If that is the case, then if Yuna can be a thief, she would wear the same thing.

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Temple_Priestess @ Dec. 23 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Then why would they bother putting it in the story text? ?Suspension of what belief? ?That Tidus "<span class="spoiler">didn't die/disappear when everyone else--Jecht, Auron, etc--did? ?What made it so Tidus could come back after you see him in the Farplane?</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well didn't someone say"<span class="spoiler">The heros of Spira will be rewarded? Maybe his reward was a real life.</span>" Also why are you getting so hyped up about this big deal...if you don't like the idea of it you don't have to buy it there is no use bursting one of your blood vessels over it.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Dec. 23 2002,20:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Temple_Priestess @ Dec. 23 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Then why would they bother putting it in the story text? ?Suspension of what belief? ?That Tidus "<span class="spoiler">didn't die/disappear when everyone else--Jecht, Auron, etc--did? ?What made it so Tidus could come back after you see him in the Farplane?</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well didn't someone say"<span class="spoiler">The heros of Spira will be rewarded? Maybe his reward was a real life.</span>" Also why are you getting so hyped up about this big deal...if you don't like the idea of it you don't have to buy it there is no use bursting one of your blood vessels over it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Geez, I can't have an *opinion*? No, I'm not going to buy this game but I am not getting "hyped up". I am merely showing how Square is messing up what was a halfway decent storyline. I overall like Square's games, especially FF, so when they go and do something like this, it makes me wonder why.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    I hope for two things in Yuna and Rikku:

1.) Their voice actors aren't as annoying as they were in FFX.

2.) They aren't as ugly as they were on the FMV. Hot normally, yet really nasty in the FMV.

Oh yeah, and NO SAPPY LOVE STORYLINE, EITHER! While FFVIII was semi-sappy, it wasn't as cliche and gut-wrenching as FFX. Honestly, made me want to throw the controller through the TV at times. They can pull the whole "I'll take you there...someday..." line only so many times.

Here's hoping FFX-2, or any other future Final Fantasy, is darker than IX and X.

Sorry for the rant. I just hope this game won't suck!
    edited December 2002
    I thought it was funny in FFX that you could say stuff like you liked Lulu and it didn't really matter for the most part.
  • The Patriot of FateThe Patriot of Fate New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I just want to add that I thought FFX was one of my favorite FF's ever. I put over 160 hours into that game, in my attempt to get EVERYONE to circumnavigate the sphere grid, and I came mightly close I might add. The battle and experience systems were incredibly fun, and I'm sure they will not dissapoint with its sequel.

ATB? Just regular level gaining (if that's indeed their plan)? What's the problem?? And the new systems they are implementing like job changing during battle and the revamped ATB activity are sure to be satisfactory at the VERY least. Of course, nothing can be certain until the game actually hits, but here is one guy who can hardly wait. xmas.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    I was a bit skeptical at first, but with more of an emphesis on the job class it gives the game a higher potential. In FFX the 'job class' system had a bit of strategy, but it was just match a character with an enemy (lulu vs. flan, wakka vs. flying, etc.).

As for the leveling system, I hope it is somewhat challenging, (not like FF8 where you could gain 3 levels per battle using Quistis' degenerator on the island closest to hell/heaven) yet not as extreme as xenogears.

I'm sure I will be a bit disappointed when I see yuna and rikku go back to their [really bad] stats again... *sigh...* its not the same when you spend 90 hours getting everone 255 stats and 999999hp... damn... o well...

Although it may not sound like it, im pulling for this game. ?smile.gif

Edit: Did you read the rules when you signed up to post? Because they clearly say DON'T USE PROFANITY.

• LaoKLaoK Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'm just happy that this game is supposedly going to allow more free will. That was my major issue with X. It seemed to be one trail after another with no world map to break it up. The long story sequences also wore on me, but even if they are present in this sequel (as they surely will be) then having the option to do some side-questing will make them far more bearable.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I hope that the job system in FFX-2 is implemented in a manner similar to the way it was used in FF:Tactics. ?I thought it was used very well in that game. ?I think that using it in this game could be a good thing. ?I just hope that it prevents the characters from becoming to powerful.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business