If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

E3 2006 - Sony Announces PS3 Price, Release Date

J_SenseiJ_Sensei MemberFull Members
edited May 2006 in Latest Updates
Wondering when you can get a PS3 and how much it will cost? Sony has removed the veil shrouding its upcoming console launch.

The truth can be found here.

Comments

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2006
    When will I get a PS3? Probably some time in 2008. I'm sorry, but $400 was a bitter enough pill to swallow for my 360, $500 (for a crappy version that can't be upgraded like the 360 Core can!) is nonsense of the highest order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Actually, the price of the lower end model is $499.99, not $500. ?There is also the issue that the lower end model will be missing features from the more expensive model such as HDMI output. I would also like to state that I was expecting a price in the $499.99 to $599.99 price range so I am not surprised by the price point. What I am surprised by is the fact that they are offering two different models.

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    What got me is how there is an internal hardware difference... basically if you don't get the $600 model you are in the end. Unless they announce a way to install an HDMI card later on. As far as I am concerned, it is a $600 system. All that 1080p Blueray stuff is IMO the main thing PS3 had going for it other than being PS2 with better graphics. At least for me. The $500 version is not the system I was keeping my eye on all these years.

Also don't be deceived by a penny (or dollar).

<span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • anandaananda Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    The 20GB version, priced at $499, will not have Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash inputs, Wi-Fi capabilities, or any HDMI output...

I am definitely going to wait for a price drop!...
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    After hearing all the details about the controller and system, there's only one thing to say. . .

. . . Sony is making me weep for gamers everywhere.

Actually, Square Enix and Sony are making me weep. . . stupid corporations!

To clarify a little, I'm sick of Sony stealing Nintendo ideas.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2006
    I am going to have to trot out that link again. ?Please see the post quoted below.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"According to this article Microsoft and Logitech came up with motion sensing contollers in 1999.[/QUOTE]

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ May 08 2006,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I am going to have to trot out that link again. Please see the post quoted below.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"According to this article Microsoft and Logitech came up with motion sensing contollers in 1999.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Don't forget Le Stick (in that very same article!) which worked just as well.

Microsoft's experience with the Sidewinder Freestyle is probably what's going to keep them from introducing PS3-style gyroscopic technology into future controllers. No 3rd party is going to use that annoying gyro crap on the PS3, that Warhawk player looked like he was having a hard time. If they put that in Killzone 2, I'll be furious! smile19.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I love PR retcon. It's like video game retcon, but they actually expect you to take it seriously!

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"?We actually had a very similar product on the market for the PC ? the (Sidewinder) Freestyle Pro.?, Kim recollected. ?It was a great controller for a very specific set of games, but wasn?t accepted as an overall controller. We considered the technology when developing the Xbox 360, but felt it wasn?t the way to go.?[/QUOTE]

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    anyone remember "The Glove" controllers for PSX and N64? damn I remember FFVIII with that thing one time for laughs, and laugh we did.

Anyway the price is ridiculous, the 20GB version downgrades are ridiculous, thank god MGS4 isnt coming out till 2007 (at the same time, I would probably fork out the money needed if it came out sooner smile5.png )

My other bad news is that I use the "everyone bought PSP at the ridiculous price, they will probably buy PS3 as well" logic. Sad, but true, hope im wrong.
  • thinkfreemindthinkfreemind Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I don't see the $600 price tag to be all that big a deal. When you think about it, if you use the console for six years, it only amounts to the price of a couple games per year. Which to me is not that much different than the fact that I pay $50/yr just for Xbox Live. Maybe it will be a big deal for "Joe Middle America" looking to get one for his kid at Christmas. But when I consider the value of the investment in the PS3, $600 doesn't really seem to be too much at all.
  • Flik NightshadeFlik Nightshade Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(thinkfreemind @ May 09 2006,05:16)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I don't see the $600 price tag to be all that big a deal. When you think about it, if you use the console for six years, it only amounts to the price of a couple games per year. Which to me is not that much different than the fact that I pay $50/yr just for Xbox Live. Maybe it will be a big deal for "Joe Middle America" looking to get one for his kid at Christmas. But when I consider the value of the investment in the PS3, $600 doesn't really seem to be too much at all.[/QUOTE]
    Well, considering that, at least in the U.S, more people fit in the middle / lower class than not, I think it IS a big deal. I'm sure plenty of people will get it on launch just like any other system, but I'm willing to bet this one generates more people waiting for a price drop. Especially with most of the games being slated for release way into 2007, I just couldn't justify dropping the money on it at launch.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I'm really not that bothered by the price. It was kinda expected, and there sure as hell will be price drops.

There's no point for me in picking this console up in the first six months it's out anyway.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"To clarify a little, I'm sick of Sony stealing Nintendo ideas.[/QUOTE]

Well, I really wouldn't go that far but they failed miserably trying to come up with something to counteract the hype Wii is getting in Japan. The guy showing the demo could hardly control his aircraft and it all looked very awkward. They also took the rumble feature out to harbor the new motion device. And it all really has limited function compared to the Wiimote.

I felt Sony made quite a few bad decisions last night, but only time will tell. They have never gone all out in press conferences, but this is probably the worst one I've ever seen them do. I'm sure there will be a game I must have at some point and I'll probably pick up a PS3 after the price drops 200-300 bucks.

On a side note, FFXIII and the MGS4 trailer looked awesome.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"They also took the rumble feature out to harbor the new motion device.[/QUOTE]
    Is this really negative though? Do people actually use the rumble feature and enjoy it? I know I haven't for a very long time... if there's an option to turn it off, I will... I think it's bothersome. smile6.png
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Didn't Sony refer to Wii's motion sensor as a gimmick last E3?

The rumble feature was removed due to their loss in the Immersion lawsuit. The Wiimote seems to have rumble in it just fine.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Oh, I like the rumble feature... smile5.png
  • RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    What kills me the most is eb/gamestop says, according to 3 different local stores, they won't be taking pre-orders on the ps3. At all. None.

So I get to wait out in the novemember cold for my system this year. And then still get beat out for it by the people who camp out longer.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited May 2006
    From what I can see, this doesn't look too good for Sony. More expensive then the 360, changing their controller in repsonse to the Wiimote, and releasing at about the same time as Wii. Now the technology differences. Not good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited May 2006
    This is incredibly good news for Microsoft, at least in America and Europe. They're going to have yet another holiday season without Sony interfereing (since there won't be nearly enough PS3s to go around), so they've got plenty of time to market to the hardcore gamer, many of whom probably can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i. So now it comes down to price and games. Yeah, the PS3 will probably win out here, since it'll be where most of the JRPGs are, but most hardcore gamers will likely be able to find everything else on the 360 (and possibly even the Wii), so Sony's going to have to really be careful. The last time a company got arrogant in this industry, they lost their dominance to the upstart PlayStation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    It's a shame that the 20GB PS3 Console is missing soo many of 60GB PS3's features since 499.99 really felt like a very competive price ( at least in comparrison with the 360 Premium Console ).

That extra $100 ( or in my case Euros ) really hurts the PS3. It was always my intent to buy a PS3, now however I will taking a wait and see ( Price drops, Must have games ) approach to the PS3 instead of getting one at launch.

Looks like the only Next Gen console that I will buy at launch is the Nintendo Wii ( unless they do somthing really stupid, I wonder why they haven't announced a price yet ).
  • ShivanShivan Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Not really a big deal for me, but every time you have 2 version of the console, is not a good sign. But, i will wait a least 3 month before buying it, since the first serie of a console always got a few problem and to have a few good rpg release.
  • chromegachromega Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I think the pricing of the 60 GB iis sort of a double-edged sword, with Sony on one end the customers on the other. On one end, Sony doesn't want to lose money in production costs because putting it lower than 499 US will certainly hurt them. On the other end, it's way too expensive for your average Joe (for those who want to get the 60GB), so we'll most likely see a lot more people not buying the 60GB right away or not at all. Regardless, Sony might lose a chunk of profit upon the PS3's release. As for me, I'll be getting it (if not at release then maybe a month or so after) no doubt.

• Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I think personally one of the two consoles will end up being discontinued, depending on which sells better. Note how the harddrive add-on to the PS2 never caught on because it was not standard and very few games were made to take advantage of it.

No point paying extra for features that games will not use. I predict that the cheaper console will end up being the one games are geared towards as all PS3 owners will have those features as opposed to fewer having the extra capabilities of the more expensive version.

I can handle a more expensive console, but the fact there are two will make me wait and see which becomes the standard model.

• FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I only make 7 dollars an hour at the moment and the PS3 is not out of my price range. And I am paying rent, car payment, insurence, cellphone, Laptop Payment and internet.

It's not all that hard to drop 50 bucks onto the console every other weeks until it launches. That's all I'm doing.
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Frozenbabylon @ May 09 2006,14:52)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I only make 7 dollars an hour at the moment and the PS3 is not out of my price range. And I am paying rent, car payment, insurence, cellphone, Laptop Payment and internet.

It's not all that hard to drop 50 bucks onto the console every other weeks until it launches. That's all I'm doing.[/QUOTE]
    The question isn't "can you do it?" The question is "Is it worth it?" The PS3 audience is going to be far more fragmented than the 360 audience, simply because, if the rumors prove true, one can't even upgrade the $500 version. therefore, developers will NOT make many 1080p games (since you need HDMI for 1080p). The question becomes, with games at 1080i or even standard def, is there really going to be that much of a difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (whose Premium pack costs $100 less than the base PS3). The answer for a good many people will be "no." Nintendo and MS stand to do real well in this generation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • minneyarminneyar Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ May 09 2006,01:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I am going to have to trot out that link again. ?Please see the post quoted below.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"According to this article Microsoft and Logitech came up with motion sensing contollers in 1999.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    It should be noted that, although the concepts are similar, the technology involved in the controllers is very different. ? Previous controllers like this were motion-sensing, using gyroscopes and accelerometers to track the motion of the controller as it was moved; however, Nintendo's new controller will be using sensors to track the exact position of the controller, presumably through something like RF triangulation. ?It's considerably more accurate and stable than the gyroscope/accelerometer method; it's quite noticable if you've seen both Nintendo's controller and Sony's in action.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2006
    I'll certainly wait for a price drop before considering getting a PS3...a few price drops, maybe. Speaking of which, I wonder what's ever been the most expensive videogame console...

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Wind @ May 09 2006,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Looks like the only Next Gen console that I will buy at launch is the Nintendo Wii ( unless they do somthing really stupid, I wonder why they haven't announced a price yet ).[/QUOTE]
    I actually have a theory why they haven't given much info on the Wii. If you look at how Nintendo has been releasing info on the Revolution/Wii, you will see that they have released little bits at a time. And after E3 2005, people were clamoring for info on the controller. In fact, if you think about it, there has been more talk about the Revolution/Wii then the PS3 and XBox 360. And why? Cause of the mystery. The mystery itself is incredible plublicity.

Now here's another key thing to think about. Tokyo Game Show. Nintendo has a long history of snubbing TGS. However, in 2005, Nintendo President Iwata gave the keynote speech. This was also the event where they controller was revealed. I think that Nintendo is trying to not only redefine themselves, but to also reconsile with Japan. Therefore, I can almost garuntee that technical specs and pricing will be unveiled with a lauch date will be announced at TGS 2006.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Duke Otterland @ May 09 2006,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'll certainly wait for a price drop before considering getting a PS3...a few price drops, maybe. Speaking of which, I wonder what's ever been the most expensive videogame console...[/QUOTE]
    I think the NEO GEO Gold retailed for $699.99.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Minneyar @ May 09 2006,16:30)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(MonCapitan2002 @ May 09 2006,01:00)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I am going to have to trot out that link again. Please see the post quoted below.

U
    O
    T
    It should be noted that, although the concepts are similar, the technology involved in the controllers is very different. Previous controllers like this were motion-sensing, using gyroscopes and accelerometers to track the motion of the controller as it was moved; however, Nintendo's new controller will be using sensors to track the exact position of the controller, presumably through something like RF triangulation. It's considerably more accurate and stable than the gyroscope/accelerometer method; it's quite noticable if you've seen both Nintendo's controller and Sony's in action.[/QUOTE]
    I think Mon just put that up to shut the "SONY Stole the idea from Nintendo!" people the hell up. The PS3 controller isn't anywhere near what the Wii controller is, and is nearly identical to the Sidewinder Freestyle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]