The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Salivation (not salvation)

SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke MemberFull Members
edited July 2006 in Role Playing Games
There are a lot of games coming out in the fall. But not just any games--really good ones. Phenomenal-looking ones. Sexy ones.

I started this topic to shamelessly gush about Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria. How beautiful does that game look??. I can't remember the last time a game looked so good. I kid you not: I get drool in my mouth when I look at screenshots of that. Combine the sheer beauty of the game with (hopefully) the originality of Valkyrie Profile itself, and I think it'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Of course, I should also cite Final Fantasy XII as a most-anticipated. Which it is. Is it true they're using British voice actors for FFXII? I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure if it was a farce.

I must also give three cheers for the imminent release of Rogue Galaxy. Level 5 + no loading times + a character that looks like Xiahou Dun from Dynasty Warriors = heart palpitations.

Not to mention, there are finally some pretty-looking games coming out for XBox360. I've already preordered Enchanted Arms, and I'll probably preorder Ninety-Nine Nights before August.

If I had to name something else, Tales of Abyss would be the glaring omission from my list so far. Importers seem to love it. If only it was multi-player, I'd anticipate it as much as the others.

Has anyone else noticed what a good Fall season we're scheduled to have? I don't think I've ever seen so many promising games coming out at once. If you agree with me, which games are you anticipating the most--and why?

Comments

• Datguy86Datguy86 Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Rogue Galaxy for the same reasons you stated (minus the Dynasty Warriors part).

Then there's Ar Tonelico, which just looks fantastic to me, and Super Robot Wars: Original Generation. Despite the lack of Mazinger, Getta Robo, Eva and all those fun others; the gameplay and the OG mech series still have me excited, if only because I'll finally be able to understand just what the hell's going on.

Finally, we're getting the PS2 Devil Summoner, right? Glorious. I have a huge liking for stories set in that time period.

• Kit cloudKit cloud Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Some ones got a game buzz. smile4.png

Let's see We all know what I think of FFXII, Rogue Galaxy I like Level five and all but I'm not really into action RPG's right now.

Ya Enchanted Arms is one that has me going, and I'm kinda excited about Mass Effect,Super Paper Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Rayman but I can't get anything on them. Saddly there wasn't that much stuff at E3 that liked which had a good showing.
    ...My two cents...
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Final Fantasy XII looks sweet obviously.

I'm also looking forward to Xenosaga III. More info on Jin and Margulis 4tw.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    Consider FFXII fourthed for fifthed or whatever. ?Also, has anyone else seen the makeover given to the twilight world in Twilight Princess? ?'Tis drool worthy indeed.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Datguy86 @ May 31 2006,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Despite the lack of Mazinger, Getta Robo, Eva and all those fun others; the gameplay and the OG mech series still have me excited, if only because I'll finally be able to understand just what the hell's going on.[/QUOTE]
    I'm a license *****, I've never been shy about that, hence I'm not terribly hyped for SRT: OG (even though it has a gangsta subtitle). I'll probably pick it up anyways but it's not something that I'm counting the days for.

Chromehounds struck my fancy as a summer game. Mech combat on Xbox Live FTW.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I'm a little worried about Final Fantasy XII, though. I've read a few reviews by importers, and they've all said the same thing: the emphasis of the game was gameplay, not story. This concerns me for two reasons:

1. In the demo, I didn't even like the gameplay that much. I didn't hate it as much as some people, but I didn't love it.

2. I've always looked to the Final Fantasy series to deliver a phenomenal story, not just a mediocre one.

I'm still looking forward to it, though. Not as much as the new Valkyrie Profile, though. I loved the battle engine of the first game. From what I've read, the sequel is the same. And... have I mentioned how BEAUTIFUL the graphics are? smile10.png

...Yeah, I guess I've got a bit of a game buzz. smile14.png It comes and goes.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(SorenLovesIke @ May 31 2006,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"2. I've always looked to the Final Fantasy series to deliver a phenomenal story, not just a mediocre one.[/QUOTE]
    How does focusing more on the gameplay automatically mean a game has a mediocre story?
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited May 2006
    Final Fantasy am ruined total.

I bet it doesn't have a single FMV that's longer than five minutes. Oh, the humanity! When am I going to use the bathroom?

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

• Datguy86Datguy86 Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm a license *****, I've never been shy about that, hence I'm not terribly hyped for SRT: OG (even though it has a gangsta subtitle). I'll probably pick it up anyways but it's not something that I'm counting the days for.

Chromehounds struck my fancy as a summer game. Mech combat on Xbox Live FTW.[/QUOTE]

Between Chromehounds, Dead Rising, Lost Planet and the miscellaneous RPGs, I may have to pick up a 360 sometime next year. If Resident Evil 5 were to make a surprise release within that time...

Well, food's overrated and I could use a diet.

But yeah, I'd rather see a port of SRWAlpha to the DS or even the PSP.
    edited May 2006
    Lost Planet is fantabulous. I've played the demo at least twenty times.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited May 2006
    I will devour babies until Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Silmeria is released.
    edited June 2006
    XValkyrie Profile I saw somehting about it but I can't remember what, or whether or not I liked it.

Then htere is a non RPG that definitly has me going...Yoshies Island 2.

Don't give up food, it's good for you, I learned this from the health class I was forced to take to graduate. smile4.png

Don't worry we all have buzzs.
    ...My two cents...
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"How does focusing more on the gameplay automatically mean a game has a mediocre story?[/QUOTE]

I guess I didn't clarify what exactly I'd read. Every review I've seen so far said Final Fantasy XII's story isn't up to par with other games in the series. I suppose it's just the opinion of a few reviewers, but I'm still a little wary.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Cactuar Joe @ May 31 2006,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I will devour babies until Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Silmeria is released.[/QUOTE]
    Well, I guess that`s one way to take care of over-population... smile8.png
  • edited June 2006
    Yummmmmmmmy games you say???

That would definently be Disgaea 2.Why you say.
    Because even if its only half as great as the first game its still most like going to be the f****** greatest game to come out this year. Plus i really smile25.png Etna, one of my two favourite game character. The other one of course being Pecoros from Breath of Fire III (my avatar).I mean seriously how cool isnt it to have a walking, talking(well actually he didnt talk only made strange sounds) giant onion in your party.

And a game that I just really would like to see (but probably wont happen) is a sequell to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.
  • edited June 2006
    Soren Loves Ike HAHAHA! ?I'm actually playing Fire Emblem right now, although Soren died during the first fight smile3.png. ?Speaking of FFXII, I read an article on 1up.com where there's an interview with one of the guys who worked on the title. ?As you suggested Soren, the interviewee expressed that the series would start to go through more radical gameplay changes, starting with battles. ?Looking at the E3 FFXIII trailer, it looked Fzero with a chick instead of a car smile1.png! ?He did say as well, however, that the emphasis would still be on story. ?I think the gameplay changes are just going to be more noticable. ?I personally didn't like the FFXII demo that came with Dragon Quest at all. ?The battle system feels like an MMORPG. ?I hope to god that's not this series' future. It seemed to get great reviews in Japan though, so here's hoping!

• Sword_of_SwordsSword_of_Swords Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Rogue Galaxy is looks phenominal, as does FFXII. Ar Tonelico really catches my eye because of its beautiful, beautiful graphics. Plus, I like the more futuristic setting.
    edited June 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I mean seriously how cool isnt it to have a walking, talking(well actually he didnt talk only made strange sounds) giant onion in your party.[/QUOTE]

How cool ISN'T it? Very. smile10.png A giant, talking onion would probably stink. Literally.

U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Soren Loves Ike HAHAHA! I'm actually playing Fire Emblem right now, although Soren died during the first fight.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to toot the horn of my nom de plum, but you just lost the best mage in the entire game, if not the best character overall. smile5.png You must restart!!! He starts off pretty weak, but later on in the game, nothing signals death like a wave of Soren's arm.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If I had to name something else, Tales of Abyss would be the glaring omission from my list so far. Importers seem to love it. If only it was multi-player, I'd anticipate it as much as the others.[/QUOTE]
    If only?! It is multiplayer. Plus it's better multiplayer than the other Tales that have been released in non-Asia areas, as in all players can expect to actually see their characters. :D

• LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Personally I'm waiting for Phantasy Star Universe and Rogue Galaxy.
    edited June 2006
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"If only?! It is multiplayer. Plus it's better multiplayer than the other Tales that have been released in non-Asia areas, as in all players can expect to actually see their characters. smile3.png [/QUOTE]

It IS?! Happy Day!!! smile1.png

I thought they'd scrapped the multi-player function in Tales games since it was absent in Legendia.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Well, ToL's not the only single-player Tales. Apparently Tales Studio are the only ones who care about the multiplayer, since the ones they make are the only ones that ever have multiplayer (except two that were a different genre of game and had a versus mode).

ToA did keep ToL's lack of a monster list. o_O
    edited June 2006
    The more I think about it the more I get excited,I want Enchanted Arms. Just think Ubisoft owns Rayman...and they said there would be surprises...don't tell me...let me dream. smile24.png
    ...My two cents...
  • edited June 2006
    My most anticipated games in the works are, in no particular order.

RPG ish Games:
    1. Disgaea 2
    2. Final Fantasy XII (although your starting to worry me, I too like my RPGs to focus primarily on story)
    3. Xenosaga III (I still have my hopes after II, in fact it's the only reason I'm keeping II)
    4. Suikoden I & II (holding out for an American PSP release, which of course will force me to buy a PSP)

non-RPGs:
    1. Metal Gear Solid 4
    2. Resident Evil 5
    3. Devil May Cry 4 (more than likely)
    4. Assassin's Creed (maybe)

Regarding all PS3 games I'll probably buy the games and not the system, at least for a while. Yes I know that sounds stupid but heck, I don't even have a working PS2 right now.

• friscodudefriscodude New Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Wayy too many to name hehe.

1) Xenosaga III: I just want the storyline to be unveiled =P

2) Final Fantasy XII: It looks great in every aspect, and the multitude of sidequests will keep me playing forever

3) Valkyrie Profile Lenneth: Just got a PSP and now I dont have to fork over 100+ dollars for the PS1 versio

4) Devil Summoner:Kuzunoha Raidou: I love SMT :3

5) Persona 3: Same reason as #4

6) Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Finally, a decent looking MMORPG

Thats about all for now. Rogue Galaxy seems fun, but I dont know too much about it.
    edited June 2006
    One non-rpg I'm looking forward to is Ninety-Nine Nights for XBox360. It looks lovely, but I wonder if I'm only anticipating it because it's one of the few decent releases for X360 coming out in the near future. (As opposed to distant future. I'm looking at you, Lost Odyssey!!)
  • purelunaticpurelunatic Member Full Members
    edited June 2006
    Rogue Galaxy, I'm already planning ways to fake my death so that I can be alone when this baby comes out.
  • DirkLanceDirkLance Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    The new Valkyrie Profile is the main one for me. I heard a rumor that a new Shadowrun game might be out soon.
  • starbladestarblade Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    As long as I can have some secluded time with Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Persona 3, and Rogue Galaxy then I want even complain if armageddon happens this year.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited July 2006
    1) Final Fantasy XII... it's almost as if the game was custom made for everything I want in an RPG.

2) Disgaea 2.... yay for coming out soon!

3) Tales of the Abyss... dunno when I'll see it but I want it.

4) MGS4

5) VP2

6) Twilight Princess

7) FFIII

8) Guitar Hero 2

9) 20 other games coming out in the fall that will destroy my wallet