The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Square Enix Unveils FF12 Sequel & 3 More Games

AethelredAethelred MemberFull Members
edited September 2006 in Latest Updates
It was a slow week, so Square Enix decided to spruce things up a bit with the announcement of four new games. Yes, indeed, the Tokyo Game Show is right around the corner.

News here

Comments

• Athiestic doubtAthiestic doubt Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    If the story delivers and the game isn't as lighthearted as FFX-2 (given the setting of FFXII, I doubt it would be) that FFXII sequel could be very interesting.

I also think a strategy Mana game sounds very cool...Although, for some reason I can't imagine it being grid-based. I'd hope the movement would be handled like something akin to Twilight of the Spirits or Dragon Quarter.

Edit: That's weird, I looked up the FFXII sequel and it's apparently being made for the DS? I didn't see that coming, then again, I didn't see the sequel coming...

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2006
    I'm all for portable gaming, so bring em on.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Gades_DestroyGades_Destroy Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Wow! A strategy-rpg mana! And this makes it better:

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Yoko Shimomura, who has previously worked on the Kingdom Hearts series and Legend of Mana.</div>

I loved Legend of mana's music!
  • BalzacBalzac Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    and still no Ogre Battle... sad.gif
  • WonderslimeWonderslime Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    FFXII DS?! You have got to be kidding me!

I got shivers up my spine when I read that... and a little voice inside me is SCREAMING "could this mean that we could have a new Final Fantasy with more traditional gameplay on the way?" I guess it's anyone's bet for now.

But, holy crap- with that trio announced, there's absolutely no question anymore which handheld is THE portable for RPGamers (as if there was any doubt before).
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    FF on the DS? Bah. They need to invent a DS converter so you can play DS games on your console. tounge.gif
  • naia28naia28 Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Are we sure the FFXII sequel on the DS isn't a typo? Seriously?

I guess that's okay, but being the old fart that I am I feel totally bothered by the fact that Squenix is making sequels of FF games. If they were gonna do that, couldn't they have made sequels for the older FF games and Nomura can <s>ruin</s> reinvent the character design?

The other games sound good. It makes me glad I own a DS. Bring Mana over!!!
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Personally, I'm a little sick and tired of hearing about Final Fantasy sequels when the game hasn't even come out yet. I thought the 3 Final Fantasy XIII games all at once was completely ridiculous and this sequel to FFXII is kind of ridiculous. I guess what bothers me the most is how everyone, especially the fanboys, are talking about how cool and amazing the sequels are when they haven't even played or know that much about the original. . .

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    FFXII sequel came out of nowhere...but all this info kind of game me a little boost this afternoon. Thanks for the update!
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I must say that I didn't see this coming. That's all I'll say, though, since I haven't even played FFXII yet. tounge.gif

The rest don't really interest me that much at present. More details needed for that.

• Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Morridor @ Sep. 13 2006,11:56)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Personally, I'm a little sick and tired of hearing about Final Fantasy sequels when the game hasn't even come out yet. I thought the 3 Final Fantasy XIII games all at once was completely ridiculous and this sequel to FFXII is kind of ridiculous. I guess what bothers me the most is how everyone, especially the fanboys, are talking about how cool and amazing the sequels are when they haven't even played or know that much about the original. . .

Danny</div>
    It constantly bothers me when people constantly whine about games they haven't even played yet >_> I'd actually like to give most of these games a try, but as for the FF12 sequel, I'll have to see how FF12 is first ^_~
  • Cryo MantisCryo Mantis Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Naturally Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix won't be coming over... Damn you Squeenix! Damn you to heck!
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I guess what bothers me the most is how everyone, especially the fanboys, are talking about how cool and amazing the sequels are when they haven't even played or know that much about the original</div>

Well FFXII has been out for a long time... and quite a few people have imported it. You have to take those things into consideration, some of those people that you think know nothing about the game may have already played it through wink.gif
  • naia28naia28 Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I think part of the problem is that when the Final Fantasy franchise was brand new the "schtick" was that each game was its own entity. There was no need for a sequel and the only thing that connected each world was the crystals. Each game was a "Final" Fantasy (you know the whole name of the game) Since FF's move to 3D, or Sakaguchi leaving, or Nomura being the character designer, I don't know one or all of those or that general vicinity, the FF series has done the opposite, whoring out each world with sequels and turning the FF series into a cash cow.

It's the principle of it all.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Wonderslime @ Sep. 13 2006,11:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">But, holy crap- with that trio announced, there's absolutely no question anymore which handheld is THE portable for RPGamers (as if there was any doubt before).</div>
    You dare question the power of...of um...of Blade Dancer, Legend of Heroes and like...um...uh...Gener...ation of Chaos...okay, this isn't funny anymore. sad.gif
  • AethelredAethelred Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Are we sure the FFXII sequel on the DS isn't a typo? Seriously?</div>

It's not a typo.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Since FF's move to 3D, or Sakaguchi leaving, or Nomura being the character designer, I don't know one or all of those or that general vicinity, the FF series has done the opposite, whoring out each world with sequels and turning the FF series into a cash cow.</div>

Nomura isn't the character designer for FFXII. In fact, Nomura's had nothing to do with FFXII at all. FFXII's character designs were done by Akihiko Yoshida (FFT, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre).
  • TriaTria Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Well, I was really excited for Heroes of Mana. But the title bothers me (reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic), and it's my most disliked of all RPG Sub-Genres! The evil SRPG genre!

And forget the other games. I am looking forward to Infinite Undiscovery a heck of a lot more. =o
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Resonance of Fate - 4.5/5
    Tales of Graces (Import) - 2/5
    Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
  • DuranteDurante Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Rage @ Sep. 13 2006,13:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">You dare question the power of...of um...of Blade Dancer, Legend of Heroes and like...um...uh...Gener...ation of Chaos...okay, this isn't funny anymore. sad.gif</div>
    Well, it's not like the DS currently has much on the RPG front that isn't a bad port or just plain bad - just like the PSP tounge.gif
    I guss now DS fans don't have to be bitter that they don't get to play Jeanne D'Arc.

Personally, the whole handheld RPG movement is something I'll never understand. Epic games where you invest hours on end seem to be the antithesis of handheld gaming to me - even if you can suspend at any time you can't really get engrossed in the story, setting or characters in 30 minute intervals, can you?
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Please excuse me while I squee in the corner.
    And insure my DS Lite for a million billion dollars.
    edited September 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Well, it's not like the DS currently has much on the RPG front that isn't a bad port or just plain bad - just like the PSP tounge.gif
    I guss now DS fans don't have to be bitter that they don't get to play Jeanne D'Arc. </div>

The DS's actual lineup begs to differ. smile.gif
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">
    Personally, the whole handheld RPG movement is something I'll never understand. Epic games where you invest hours on end seem to be the antithesis of handheld gaming to me - even if you can suspend at any time you can't really get engrossed in the story, setting or characters in 30 minute intervals, can you?</div>

Yes, you can!

• XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Durante @ Sep. 13 2006,14:57)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Well, it's not like the DS currently has much on the RPG front that isn't a bad port or just plain bad - just like the PSP tounge.gif
    I guss now DS fans don't have to be bitter that they don't get to play Jeanne D'Arc.

Personally, the whole handheld RPG movement is something I'll never understand. Epic games where you invest hours on end seem to be the antithesis of handheld gaming to me - even if you can suspend at any time you can't really get engrossed in the story, setting or characters in 30 minute intervals, can you?</div>
    Well that's the problem right there as to why you can't understand it... many Japanese spend a bit more than half an hour commuting everyday. more like a hour and up. That's on top of the insane work hours. As more and more of the game playing demographic is hitting this age range and having to do this, portable gaming has gone up a lot, while console sales are actually in an all time slump. In fact it seemed like video games were dying a bit in Japan until this portable wave came along.

Remember, Japanese people make games for Japanese people first and foremost. This is the cause of many non Japanese RPGamers' woes.

On another note, I kind of held off on KHII expecting a Final Mix. I'm glad that I waited now.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (naia28 @ Sep. 13 2006,12:43)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">?There was no need for a sequel and the only thing that connected each world was the crystals.</div>
    Final Fantasy II nor VI had any crystals! tounge.gif

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Each game was a "Final" Fantasy (you know the whole name of the game)</div>

You forget the Legend of the Crystals anime!

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Since FF's move to 3D, or Sakaguchi leaving, or Nomura being the character designer, I don't know one or all of those or that general vicinity, the FF series has done the opposite, whoring out each world with sequels</div>

More like around the time Enix ate Square. Enix was well known for doing this kind of thing before the merge, and since they own the majority stock, they're doing it now.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">and turning the FF series into a cash cow.</div>

It always was a cash cow. Though it especially was first noticable in the SNES era, when they changed the names of Seiken Densetsu and SaGa games to Final Fantasy to sell them better over here.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Lithium_FlowerLithium_Flower Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I saw the ad for the FF12 sequel...now why did they go and do that to Penelo? She had a perfectly nice outfit and now she looks like she stepped out of FFX-2 *sigh*

ps: VOTE FOR LENNETH VALKYRIE TONIGHT @ gamefaqs!
  • MajobMajob Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Final Fantasy XII sequel - cool

Final Fantasy XII sequel on the DS - not cool

I hate Nintendo with my entire heart and soul. Not even SE can make me buy a Nintendo product. Guess I'll have to sit this one out.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"># It's a Wonderful World: Little is known about It's a Wonderful World. The title is confirmed to be an action RPG which utilizes the DS's touch screen for controls. The setting of the game appears to be modern day, and the game has characters designed by Tetsuya Nomura.</div>

There better be tons of zippers!

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
    edited September 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Final Fantasy XII sequel - cool

Final Fantasy XII sequel on the DS - not cool

I hate Nintendo with my entire heart and soul. Not even SE can make me buy a Nintendo product. Guess I'll have to sit this one out.
    </div>

laugh.gif

Sucks for you, then!
  • DarkHeartDarkHeart New Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    <div>
    (Durante @ Sep. 14 2006,06:57)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">you can't really get engrossed in the story, setting or characters in 30 minute intervals, can you?</div>
    I do it all the time with tv shows. That can be 30 minutes a week sometimes.
  • edited September 2006
    Well, the news I'm most excited about is Heroes of Mana. It's apparently a sequel to Seiken Densetsu 3 (I saw some scans elsewhere), which was and still is a game that I have a special place in my heart for. Even though SRPGs are not my thing, I still look forward to this game with an open mind and no major expectations; I've always enjoyed the Mana games despite their individual flaws.

I like the Chain of Memories-esque minigame in KHII Final Mix, too. Glad to see a return to that frustrating yet fun battle system! :D

I'm not too sure about the other games, but they do sound like they have potential.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2006
    This looks like Square's doing the same thing now that they did with the Cube - Throw the home system barely anything while inundating the portable. As much as I love Nintendo, they really need to give up on the home console market, or at least make more games for them. 3rd parties don't give a crap about Nintendo home consoles anymore, really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.