The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Okami

Gouden DraakGouden Draak MemberFull Members
edited June 2007 in Role Playing Games
Yes, I know its not listed as an RPG on this site, but if Zelda is an RPG, so is this game.

Very loosely built on Zelda-esque gameplay, this game is really lovely. The entire game looks like an asian brush painting. Everything looks like it has been painted on textured paper, from the characters, to the stylized water and suns, to the plants and rocks. The game is GORGEOUS!

But it also plays well too. You are a white wolf (a non-human for a change!) and you have a divine power that is activated by painting. Yes, painting. You can paint in lights and suns, paint in vines to climb, or use a slash of your paintbrush to chop enemies and obstacles in half. That`s not all though, you can interact with the enviroment in other ways, from digging up the turnip garden, to feeding the animals (or biting them and picking them up), or even bark and see animals and people jump in reaction.

I just love how much work has been put into this game. It has to be one of the most FUN games I have played in a long time.

Comments

• DuranteDurante Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    Agreed. This game out-zeldas Zelda on many levels. I really love the gameplay, graphics and story so far. The only thing that annoys me at times is the faux-speech of some characters - but no game is perfect. Also, as a 3d programmer I'm wondering how they pulled off that look on PS2. They should write a paper on that or at least give a detailed technical explanation, like the Shadow of the Colossus guys did.

The translation is a bit too non-literal for my tastes, but that's really nitpicking.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">It has to be one of the most FUN games I have played in a long time.</div>Exactly!
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited September 2006
    I am actually playing this game right now as well, and loving it to death. So colorful, so pretty, and so damned fun! You are seriously missing out if you dont give this a play.
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    Well I've been playing this beauty of a game like it's my job recently and I just felt the need to make a topic about it. The art and style of the game are amazing, I dunno if it's just my TV but it is so crisp that it truly looks like im watching a painting come to life.

The gameplay is great, the pacing is wonderous and the characters make me smile. It's been a long time since I have played a game that has gripped me to this is extreme, and I know I'm not alone.

So who else out there is playing Okami? Get to talking!
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited October 2006
    Topic move and merge completed. Please post here about this game from now on. Neko got it; from what I've seen it's cool tho I haven't gotten a chance to play yet.

93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Athiestic doubtAthiestic doubt Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    I played it for like 2 hours but turned it off and didn't save...I have a backlog of new games to finish and I didn't want to get to into it where I would completely abandon my games currently in-progress.

Still, I had a lot of fun with it. The game is very charming. I liked the pseudo-VO as I felt it added a layer of mysticism to the game but I can see how it could wear thin.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2006
    What I want to know is why hasn't Capcom got to working on a Wii port yet? With all the crud getting pushed on that system, this sounds like the biggest no-brainer in history. wow.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    Clover Studios was asked about the possibility of a Wii port in a recent interview by EGM. They said that they weren`t interested in porting it to the Wii and that they designed the movements to work with the PS2 controller.
  • MewiMewi Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    If Zelda's an RPG then you might as well add flying dragon 64 as an RPG too tounge.gif
    edited October 2006
    Oi that's why I didn't see this topic... Okami really isn't an RPG at all. It's just a super awesome action/adventure game... but yea.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    On that note, this game is sitting on my shelf, untouched, because I'm playing Xenogears.

Have I shamed myself?
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    Holy crap, Meo, I think we might be the same person. I've been so re-hooked on Xenogears lately I haven't touched Okami 11 days. Stupid 60 hour games....
    edited October 2006
    Shame on both of you. You are sentanced to cleaning up the wolf crap.....
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    <div>
    (knightofhyrule @ Oct. 04 2006,18:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Holy crap, Meo, I think we might be the same person. I've been so re-hooked on Xenogears lately I haven't touched Okami 11 days. Stupid 60 hour games....</div>
    Duh! Geniuses think alike, do they not?
  • SorenLovesIkeSorenLovesIke Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    I loved every minute of Okami.... and I'm very sore about the fact that I sped through it so I could start playing Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria.

Okami was near-perfect. On the other hand, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria I did not love.
    edited October 2006
    At least there is always New Game + biggrin.gif
    edited October 2006
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Have I shamed myself? </div>

Why yes, yes you have.
  • TriaTria Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    I was playing it for a bit. I really liked it. Then I got Valkyrie Profile 2, and fell in love with that, and now VP2 is my favorite RPG of all-time. But I think maybe I should have beaten Okami first. Because whenever I play something that makes my mouth drop, the next game I play usually is a disappointment. I have seen most of the beauty in Okami, and I found VP2 to be more beautiful (especially in Chapter's 5 & 6). So it will be hard going back to Okami and enjoying it much more than I already have.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Resonance of Fate - 4.5/5
    Tales of Graces (Import) - 2/5
    Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
  • ZebulunZebulun Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    I played the demo of it and was very impressed. Though, I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon. Just too many games.
  • Albedo_2k5Albedo_2k5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    ^^I know there are way too many titles out there. I just started playing Grandia II on the Dreamcast and there is no way in hell, I'm stopping, even if it is Okami. ^_^

But can't wait 'til try it out along with Disgaea 1 & 2, all three on my shelf. Gaming sure is hard work. ^_^
  • MagicianFaustMagicianFaust New Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    <span style='color:blue'>I expected great things from this game, but I was sadly disappointed. After the boss fight with the monster EVERYONE in the game claimed was so evil and powerful, I just stopped playing. That fight was so pathetically easy, and the fight(and the scenes) felt very anticlimatic to me. I'm glad I never wasted money on this game(played via a roomate's copy).</span>
    edited October 2006
    Um... you know you were only a quarter of the way through the game, right?
  • MagicianFaustMagicianFaust New Member Full Members
    edited October 2006
    <div>
    (Gouden Draak @ Oct. 12 2006,09:51)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Um... you know you were only a quarter of the way through the game, right?</div>
    <span style='color:blue'>Yes, I know that(I've been watching my roomate playing it a lot). It still doesn't change that fact that the game made that fight to sound like it should be epic, but it just wasn't. And I just didn't feel like playing the game anymore after that.</span>
    edited October 2006
    Each to their own! I thought it was a bit clever really, because I actually thought that was it (and getting a bit annoyed that the game was so short).

I guess FF pulls this all the time "<span class="spoiler">FF4 you discover someone is behind Golbez, FF6 has Kefka arising after the Empire is gone, FF8 has Ultimecia showing up after Edea and the President of Galbadia are removed as the enemies, FFX has Yu-Yevon behind Sin, etc....)</span>"
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2006
    But Gouden! FF is specialz!

...shoot me for saying that. wow.gif
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to bump this, but I finally got around to playing this and it is really good. I wouldn't go far as to call it better than Zelda, but it is definitely the PS2's "Zelda Killer" if that makes any sense. The only things that stop it from being better than recent Zelda games is its lack of difficulty (and you thought bosses in Ocarina of Time were easy), and the dungeon maps aren't as expansive as I'd like them to be, nor are the puzzles up to snuff.

But everything else: graphics, charm, controls... better than TP.
    thanks for reading